AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shana

Notices

View Poll Results: Shakugan no Shana III - Episode 2 Rating
Perfect 10 14 19.44%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 18 25.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 22.22%
7 out of 10 : Good 13 18.06%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 11.11%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.78%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.39%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-10-14, 22:29   Link #21
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I've always found Sydonay's laying waste on the various Outlaw headquarters around the world as something too disjointed to be focused on, but oh well, I liked Miss Yu Xuan's character design. (Remember that a certain Flame Haze by the name of Dorel Kubelik has also been burnt to a crisp on the Second Season.)

I have yet to see the episode though, and I need to see what Stolas (the headless bird-thingy) and Ribesal (the guy who looks like a scarab beetle) look like in the Second Season.

Also,

Stolas appeared on the Second Season, although it's just a sneak peek.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2011-10-14, 22:32   Link #22
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

To make it simple: Cool beginning, rest of episode was dull setup, and I did not like the editing with this episode.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Old 2011-10-14, 22:51   Link #23
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Episode was OK, and entertaining enough because I am technically a Shana fan so 7/10. However, still not pleased with JC staff's adaption. This season should have been so much more awesome and cool, but because of lack of suitable build up it isn't having the necessary impact and just feels extremely jarring to say the last.

Hopefully I can continue to like this more as it goes on, but we'll have to see. Only thing keeping me in the game are the few spoilers I already knew about this series.
Old 2011-10-14, 23:28   Link #24
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Holy crap the Flame Hazes are so weak.

If the Crimson had such powerful weapons that make them invincible and warriors all those times why had they not rid the world of Flame Hazes?
Old 2011-10-14, 23:30   Link #25
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
Holy crap the Flame Hazes are so weak.

If the Crimson had such powerful weapons that make them invincible and warriors all those times why had they not rid the world of Flame Hazes?
Well, I would let that slide.

That's what one gets for being a minor character.

Plus there are the exceptionally strong ones like Wilhemena, Margery and of course Shana. Alastor is not any random lord.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-10-14, 23:38   Link #26
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Yeah you get the shit end of the stick if you're a minor character

Anyway, cliffhanger pisses me off... I'm getting antsy just thinking about it.
Old 2011-10-14, 23:44   Link #27
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Well, I would let that slide.

That's what one gets for being a minor character.

Plus there are the exceptionally strong ones like Wilhemena, Margery and of course Shana. Alastor is not any random lord.
I dunno.

Sydonay seems capable of killing Margery if he was serious enough in the previous seasons.

Wilhemena herself was literally made Bel's bi*ch in season 1 I believe.

I don't think I need to bring up Hecate either....
Old 2011-10-14, 23:47   Link #28
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Shana... at least.

Well, even if they could win in 1v1 combat, they might not have the power to take out everyone at once. They clearly can take out various bases fairly easily, but sometimes it's just better to not fight as long as they aren't being met by interference.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2011-10-14, 23:50   Link #29
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

This is what I was talking about earlier about JC staff disgracing the villains earlier in a way that we can't even take them seriously. Because they got drawed into some really retarded anime original arcs, or had certain details not explained or changed, they just look pretty pathetic and incapable when they're actually supposed to be really strong.

Just another facet of JC staff's piss poor adapting of this series. Hopefully one day they just rebuild it into mores movies like the Shana movie, which was actually a lot better than the series.
Old 2011-10-14, 23:55   Link #30
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Ehhh? I was expecting something else from the ending. Seems it just turned out to be a slide-show. But I like how they change voices from Yuji to show that it's the other person talking, or if it's Yuji talking. Really easy to tell there, but poor minor characters always getting the short end of the stick.
Old 2011-10-15, 00:02   Link #31
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Spoiler for comparison to the novels:
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2011-10-15 at 01:41. Reason: If you're going to compare to the novels (past content only!), please use spoiler tags
Old 2011-10-15, 01:22   Link #32
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
That was a pretty good episode. I'll probably re-watch it on October 31st to celebrate Halloween, as Bal Masque is like a Monster Mash party just waiting to happen.

The opening fight involving Sydonay was excellent, as others mentioned. Visually, the episode was very nice. A nice collage of various character moments. I fanboyed a bit when Dantalion made his appearance. I always loved that mad scientist!

Similar to what Archon_Wing said, though, I'm actually kind of missing the SoL moments a bit (never thought I'd write that after the first half of Shana's second season, lol).

I think that the Shana anime works best when there's a down-to-Earth human element that serves to ground everything, and make it easier to get emotionally involved in what's happening. Satou provides a tiny bit of that, but not as much as I would like to see.

Still, Episode 2 was pretty good overall, and Episode 3 looks promising on the "human element" front.

8/10 for this episode for me.
Old 2011-10-15, 01:44   Link #33
relentlessflame

*Administrator

A reminder to novel readers: please don't correct anime viewers assumptions using your novel knowledge if the anime will fill in those gaps later. Thanks...
Old 2011-10-15, 02:54   Link #34
elleinad00

This is episode is cool (ooohhhh I think love Yu Xuan because she's really cute 'en cool)
and man it's a cliffhanger.... arghhh......
Old 2011-10-15, 04:42   Link #35
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

It's weird to see Yuji with long hair with Alastor's voice.
Old 2011-10-15, 04:48   Link #36
viperdk1
The Colour of Magic

Definitely didn't expect that at the end. There must be a reason for this - though is Yuji in two places at once? Either way, "To Start the Journey" (Ep 3 title) could mean a lot of things.

The opening scene made me look at the OP to see whether she was in there - would've been so bemused had she been (thankfully not - would be cruel to insinuate that a character would be kicking around a long time only to die in her only scene).

Still not totally following the logic of Yuji's two voices right here - the deep voice is through 'SnH' Yuji and the calm voice is the original human Yuji? Are there two consciousnesses within the Bal Masque leader?

Also, I genuinely thought that Sophie was telling Shana to give up on Yuji in her letter. "Stop fooling yourself". Luckily for us all, it seems my thought was wide of the mark...

Decent episode (Yuji's hair is remarkable...in battle, of course ) - looking forward to next week
Old 2011-10-15, 05:49   Link #37
Qikz

EDIT: Just went back to watch certain bits with subs to understand what the hell was going on. I think I understand the story of what's going on now as where before I couldn't work out what was happening. :X

Last edited by Qikz; 2011-10-15 at 06:24.
Old 2011-10-15, 06:52   Link #38
SkyFlames
Silver, the Second

It's mentioned that Margery and Sydonay's strenghts are pretty equaled, with Margery having only a bit more of discernment to cheat Sydonay and make him fall on her traps. At the novels when she fought him at the Aizen brothers' Craddle Garden (Season 1), she got to runaway because she could not use her power freely and Sydonay pretty much didn't even sweated, but when she got her motivation back, he was the one that needed to runaway to avoid getting miserably killed. It can be said that Margery 'one of the few Flame Haze capable to hold him at battle'.
Old 2011-10-15, 08:52   Link #39
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sho- View Post
It's weird to see Yuji with long hair with Alastor's voice.
Is it his voice? Didn't see the credits..
Old 2011-10-15, 09:25   Link #40
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

Location: First star to the left, you should go there sometime.
Good episode, but echoing what other users have posted, I think I'm also a bit trouble taking Bal Masque a bit more seriously too. I honestly went "Eeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhh?" as soon as I heard his second voice. It wasn't hard at all to get used to (I even thought it was actually cool too)... his hair in this episode was a different matter in this episode Despite that, I'm eager to see what the next episode will have in store as it'll likely take place in that SnSIII teaser.
Closed Thread