Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2013-03-31, 11:44   Link #41
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lycan View Post
I believe Ubuntu was made for the first time Linux user it was my first and it was very easy. I couldn't imagine if Gentoo was my first try I would have been so lost.
Yes, Ubuntu was one of the first and the oldest distributions.
I have booted up the newest version of Ubuntu this morning to test it, and the Desktop looks quite amazing. Reminds me on a Mac, hehe.

Note that Ubuntu went it's own way from the start while some other distributions had a main, general highway and want in their own ways from there.

I have also checked around and asked a few Linux-Ubuntu users why they use Ubuntu and the most frequent answer was: "Because for me, it is the most user-friendly", so I got it correctly.
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 12:04   Link #42
spikexp

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lycan View Post
I believe Ubuntu was made for the first time Linux user it was my first and it was very easy. I couldn't imagine if Gentoo was my first try I would have been so lost.
Well, ubuntu vs gentoo, we are talking about 2 distro that are almost polar opposite in their way of doing thing.

Between, you could have debian and arch.

I personally use arch for my server, the community and the wiki is so good compared to other distro.

I would say a good distribution for a first time, if what you want is knowledge and not just a windows replacement, is arch linux. For a windows replacement, ubuntu or linux mint.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 12:13   Link #43
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikexp View Post
For a windows replacement, ubuntu or linux mint.
This is one more thing that I believe I have already pointed out.
Many that switched from a different platform to Linux, such as Windows, usually end up using Ubuntu because it is easier to get used to it, they say.
One more reason why Ubuntu is used so much among the Linux users.
Old 2013-03-31, 12:57   Link #44
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I find KDE desktops a lot more similar to Windows than GNOME-based ones. If you're looking at Ubuntu, give Kubuntu a shot as well. The "Unity" desktop that Ubuntu now ships with has been a subject of considerable controversy since it diverged so much from GNOME II flavors. As a KDE user, this is all irrelevant to me.

Canonical has been diverging from other distributions because Mark Shuttlesworth is trying to position Ubuntu as a "brand" like Windows or Android and downplay its roots in Linux. Unity is a part of this strategy with ports in the works for phones, tablets, and TVs. In that sense it has some similarities in philosophy with Windows 8. Canonical has also embarked on a project called Mir to develop a new programming interface for the desktop to replace X and compete with Wayland. Needless to say that is a controversial decision as well.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2013-03-31 at 13:12.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 13:01   Link #45
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I find KDE desktops a lot more similar to Windows than GNOME-based ones. If you're looking at Ubuntu, give Kubuntu a shot as well.
Try booting up and testing the newest version of Ubuntu, it seemed quite similar to Windows options to me.
Well, more to Mac, to be honest.

Anyhow, I'm keeping my KDE. <3
Old 2013-03-31, 20:56   Link #46
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiprbim View Post
Yes, Ubuntu was one of the first and the oldest distributions.
I have booted up the newest version of Ubuntu this morning to test it, and the Desktop looks quite amazing. Reminds me on a Mac, hehe.

Note that Ubuntu went it's own way from the start while some other distributions had a main, general highway and want in their own ways from there.

I have also checked around and asked a few Linux-Ubuntu users why they use Ubuntu and the most frequent answer was: "Because for me, it is the most user-friendly", so I got it correctly.
Ubuntu is only 8 years old. It's not really that old and certainly not one of the first distros.

Back in the time I was in school, I used Red Hat (when there was no yum for redhat yet ) and Gentoo on my old PCs. It was fun doing everything from ground up, bootstrapping from stage 1 and rebuilding everything with custom flags. It was a difficult process but I learned a lot and my programs were definitely faster. Too bad I've forgotten most of the stuff And, Ubuntu hasn't even been 'invented' yet during then.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-01, 05:49   Link #47
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
Ubuntu is only 8 years old. It's not really that old and certainly not one of the first distros.

Back in the time I was in school, I used Red Hat (when there was no yum for redhat yet ) and Gentoo on my old PCs. It was fun doing everything from ground up, bootstrapping from stage 1 and rebuilding everything with custom flags. It was a difficult process but I learned a lot and my programs were definitely faster. Too bad I've forgotten most of the stuff And, Ubuntu hasn't even been 'invented' yet during then.
I guess I wasn't too precise.
Ubuntu was one of the oldest distributions to which people actually leeched on "massively".

The very first distribution was Slackware and as you have said, Red Hat that came right after it.
Fedora came from Red Hat.

So yeah, scratch what I have said, it is not what I meant, hehe.
Thanks for pointing that out.

Last edited by Haiprbim; 2013-04-01 at 06:48.
Old 2013-04-01, 08:14   Link #48
spikexp

Need to point at that http://futurist.se/gldt/ for distribution timeline.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-01, 12:39   Link #49
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikexp View Post
Need to point at that http://futurist.se/gldt/ for distribution timeline.
A Swedish domain, eh?
Nice site though, thanks for sharing the link.

Tags
linux