AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2003-11-11, 09:34   Link #1
Sazae

Sazae-san subs

I have been watching Sazae-san since I first saw it 30 years ago in Japan. I love this show and I wish to show it to some of my non Japanese speaking friends and I want to know if any group has even tried to sub this show. I know that 30 year old slang and 2000 episodes can be kind of overwhelming. Have there been any groups that have done Sazae-san or are there any plans for anyone to sub this show? I'm getting tired or explaining everything off my raw tapes to my friends and I have neither the know-how or the time to try and sub them myself.
Sazae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-11, 10:45   Link #2
Sukato
Kendo Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazae
I'm getting tired or explaining everything off my raw tapes to my friends and I have neither the know-how or the time to try and sub them myself.
Hmm.. perhaps you could put together your own group of translators and editors to sub Sazae-san? Much older anime seems to be rarely picked up by existing groups (Yawara is the only one that comes to mind right now), so if you can find like-minded fans of Sazae-san you should put them together and go for it .

Btw, welcome to the forum .
Sukato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-11, 11:36   Link #3
Sazae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukato
Hmm.. perhaps you could put together your own group of translators and editors to sub Sazae-san? Much older anime seems to be rarely picked up by existing groups (Yawara is the only one that comes to mind right now), so if you can find like-minded fans of Sazae-san you should put them together and go for it .

Btw, welcome to the forum .
Thank you. The only problem is that me and my wife are the only big Sazae fans I know outside of Japan. I also know nothing of subbing anime. My Japanese is alright but it's been so long since I lived there that it has gotten rusty and my wife is pregnant and getting ready for our move to CA and has told me she wants no part in subbing that show even though her Japanese is much better than mine. How do I go about getting a team together to sub a show? I own an anime shop so I know plenty of fans but none of them have the language skills to do a translation and even though they are good with the computer they know nothing about video editing. Is there a place I could look at that has help of getting a group together or just somewhere that let's me know about good subbing programs? I have about 900 episodes on tape that are all raw and I would love to see them subbed. Thanks for any help I can get, I'm new here so I'm not to sure how everything works.
Sazae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-11, 12:12   Link #4
Lucier
Lunar Translator

Here's what I'd do...

Find a group that's already subbing stuff (Since they'll know what their doing)... preferbly one whose work you like (I figure you watch fansubs if you're here!..)

Then just go on in and ask them if they're willing to sub it for you...
I'm expecting you'll get rejection from many, but it's still worth a shot =)

I'd help you, but I can't really commit my team to something none of us have ever seen o_O (I've never even HEARD of it...)
Lucier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-11, 13:13   Link #5
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucier
Here's what I'd do...

Find a group that's already subbing stuff (Since they'll know what their doing)... preferbly one whose work you like (I figure you watch fansubs if you're here!..)

Then just go on in and ask them if they're willing to sub it for you...
I'm expecting you'll get rejection from many, but it's still worth a shot =)

I'd help you, but I can't really commit my team to something none of us have ever seen o_O (I've never even HEARD of it...)
Sazae-san is actually one of the more popular long running shows in Japan (I think it's something like the Simpsons for the Japanese). If you have all those tapes, I suggest you try to find some way to capture them into your computer, since most subbing nowadays are done on the computer. I would talk to Live-eviL to see if they want to do it, since they like to do the retro/not as well known shows.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-11, 13:42   Link #6
Sakaki-
AnimeONE Typesetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazae
I have been watching Sazae-san since I first saw it 30 years ago in Japan. I love this show and I wish to show it to some of my non Japanese speaking friends and I want to know if any group has even tried to sub this show. I know that 30 year old slang and 2000 episodes can be kind of overwhelming. Have there been any groups that have done Sazae-san or are there any plans for anyone to sub this show? I'm getting tired or explaining everything off my raw tapes to my friends and I have neither the know-how or the time to try and sub them myself.

If you can translate you could prolly find some group that wants to do it with you.

Take Care
Sakaki-
Sakaki- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-11, 18:08   Link #7
bayoab

(Edit)
Quote:
Is there a place I could look at that has help of getting a group together or just somewhere that let's me know about good subbing programs? I have about 900 episodes on tape that are all raw and I would love to see them subbed
As for getting a team, ask around. You would probably need to be able to capture the tapes onto the computer. And then its the standard process which can be found in many places on the web (just do a google search). The video editing and ripping part might be found on doom9.org. Not sure if anyone has covered from VHS there though.
(/Edit)

As far as i know, no group is planning on subbing it because of the issues addressed below. I've been trying to do this show as a side project for about a half a year now (maybe longer). The problems are:

a) raws are VERY VERY hard to get, and the existing raws that are floating around are so low quality that they are unusable. Also being there are 1800+ eps now since it is something like the longest running animated show ever....

b) Translating it and actually understanding it are 2 completely different issues. Almost anyone can probably translate it with at couple years of japanese. Giving a proper cultural explanation is a whole different story. (Ex. the first line of the each episode requires a cultural note.)

I would love to do it, its just nearly an impossible feat.

Last edited by bayoab; 2003-11-11 at 18:18.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-12, 01:22   Link #8
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab
a) raws are VERY VERY hard to get, and the existing raws that are floating around are so low quality that they are unusable. Also being there are 1800+ eps now since it is something like the longest running animated show ever....

b) Translating it and actually understanding it are 2 completely different issues. Almost anyone can probably translate it with at couple years of japanese. Giving a proper cultural explanation is a whole different story. (Ex. the first line of the each episode requires a cultural note.)
Well, if Sazae here would be able to capture AND translate (I'm assuming he has enough cultural knowledge since he watched it 30 years ago), then those issues would be gone. /me hopes ^^;
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-12, 03:24   Link #9
Enragin_Angel
ナマケモノ

I'll help you do Sazae-san. E-mail me at hokage@cox.net and I'll help you out in any way I can. The only thing I would require from you is the raws and translations which means I can do the rest. I can also teach you how to capture your VHS tapes on your computer or we can set up some kind of exchange...I dunno how you wanna do it...Just e-mail me and maybe we can work something out.
Enragin_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-12, 06:28   Link #10
vspirit
...huh?

isn't sazae-san like a 7-min each episode anime? it's pretty nice heh, my teach uses it in her lessons...katsuo's pretty amusing...i'm not sure whether we're being shown it in order (i suppose we are tho, but it started with the episode "Furusato e" and i dunno if that's the first episode or not...i never asked...don't think so tho) but we've been going in order--i think--and are right now at "Natsukashi no Rajio Taisou"...

good luck in your quest, Sazae. It'd be nice to see that anime subbed...and it'd be a big difference to what's being subbed these days...but 7-min episodes...mmm...the file sizes shouldn't be too big then...

Last edited by vspirit; 2003-11-12 at 06:38.
vspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-12, 11:06   Link #11
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by vspirit
isn't sazae-san like a 7-min each episode anime? it's pretty nice heh, my teach uses it in her lessons...katsuo's pretty amusing...i'm not sure whether we're being shown it in order (i suppose we are tho, but it started with the episode "Furusato e" and i dunno if that's the first episode or not...i never asked...don't think so tho) but we've been going in order--i think--and are right now at "Natsukashi no Rajio Taisou"...

good luck in your quest, Sazae. It'd be nice to see that anime subbed...and it'd be a big difference to what's being subbed these days...but 7-min episodes...mmm...the file sizes shouldn't be too big then...
To my knowledge, the first one ever aired is "75 ten" and currently they are shown in groups of 3 with op and such, so full 24 min show.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-13, 14:23   Link #12
vspirit
...huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab
To my knowledge, the first one ever aired is "75 ten" and currently they are shown in groups of 3 with op and such, so full 24 min show.
ah is that so? cool...yeah i suppose it is, since i'm only shown 7 mins each time...like 1/3...good enough for me lol...so much to absorb...
vspirit is offline   Reply With Quote