AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-07-28, 00:38   Link #1941
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tran225 View Post
anyone know if there is a season 3?
It'd be ridiculous to NOT have a series continuation from Season 1, and leave the whole franchise hanging without concluding the National tournament.

The real question would be: When?
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 03:32   Link #1942
night_sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
It'd be ridiculous to NOT have a series continuation from Season 1, and leave the whole franchise hanging without concluding the National tournament.

The real question would be: When?
Judging from the manga's pace a few more years.

Anyway, in preparation to the next Achiga-hen episode that hopefully would come this August, I will try to analyze who will win... looks at Shiraitodai's score ... err... scrape second place on the Side-A semi-finals.

That and I lost a bet to a certain someone.

Achiga Team

The number 1 contender for second place. Let's analyze the flags why it is so and why they might not be locked for second place after all.

1. Because the show is titled Achiga-hen

Ok, this sounds like a weak defense. But, really when you want to conjure a defense on why Achiga should go to the finals, this will probably be the first thing that comes to your mind.

As much as some viewers may want it, the anime isn't titled Senriyama-hen but Achiga-hen. It would be weird if the main characters lost in the end without really doing anything meaningful. And ostensibly, one of the reason the anime was made was to flesh the 4th team that will go to the finals alongside Shiraitodai.

Devil Advocate:

On the other hand, it could be possible that the show is titled Achiga-hen precisely because the Achiga will lose. The spin-off will probably end on the semifinal match and thus it would be fitting if Achiga's run of the national will also end with the semi-final match.

Its true that the main point of view of Side-A is the Achiga team. But, that doesn't mean that Achiga's slot on the final table is guaranteed. The plot doesn't seem demand their presence like it does with Kiyosumi and Shiraitodai.

Besides, Achiga isn't the only team that was fleshed out in the run of the anime, some would say that Senriyama is as fleshed out as the Achiga team.

2. The promise/ Goal

Achiga's stated goal is to play against Nodoka's team (Kiyosumi). For this to happen Achiga must reach the finals since Kiyosumi is on the other side of the bracket. To make this flag more obvious, Shizuno promised just last episode that they will definitely be going to be on the finals to fight Nodoka's team.

Beside this, they also have another motivation in the form of their coach. Akado's team back then qualified in the nationals only to lose in the semi-final round causing Akado's trauma. If Achiga lose now on the semi-final it would just be repeating history not a very satisfying conclusion.

Devil's advocate:

It is also entirely possible that Achiga's goal is already fulfilled. The Achiga team have already met Nodoka - even if they lose they can still have a friendly game against Kiyosumi.

Besides, the promise scene at the end feels like a red herring - Achiga promised that they will definitely reach the finals while Nodoka said that she can't promise that which is reasonable. It would be ironic if the one who can't promise or be sure that they will reach the finals make it to the finals while the one who promised that they will didn't.

On Akado's case, I think Sukoyan's admission that she still remembers the hand that she dealt into 10 years ago is the best sort of closure that Akado can hope from her. Besides, even if the Achiga lost in the semi-finals they can help their coach by simply being able to rise from their defeat aka not get traumatized like Akado did and try again next year.

3. Strength

Before you laugh and say that Achiga lose on strength. Look at this table first.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Except for the vanguard match, the Achiga players and the Senriyama players overall strength seems to be evenly matched. And at the current match, Toki helped Kuro to get a ron to Teru, lowering the current point difference between Achiga and Senriyama to a measly 6,200 points. Thus, even with Senriyama being the better team than Achiga it is realistically possible right now for Achiga to overtake them.

Devils Advocate:

Of course, it is entirely possible that Senriyama was hiding its true strength. After all in the quarter-final match with Achiga, they were so far ahead in points that they could take it easy and just concentrate on defending. It is possible that Senriyama has a couple of tricks left.

Senriyama

Or the team that most of us wish will get through.

1. Toki

The number 1 reason why most of us may wish that Senriyama will make it to the finals. Toki is probably the most fleshed out character in the spin-off and looking at the popularity charts the most popular character as well. Perhaps Ritz-sensei would be swayed by the reader's opinion and make Senriyama win instead of Achiga?

Anyway, the more serious reason why Toki should go to the finals is because of Teru. Someone has to help put a break on Teru's consecutive winnings and out of the other 3 vanguards that Teru fought, it was Toki that consistently stopped Teru with the help of other vanguards. Even Kuro's win at the end was partially due to Toki...

Devil's advocate
Toki was last seen being carted toward the hospital. So she might not be well enough to fight in the final round of the tournament which is only days away. So yeah Toki might not even be available in the final round of the tournament.

2. Dying Wish

Just kidding. But, that scene where Toki is being rushed to the hospital feels like Toki is entrusting her dying wish to her teammate. Anyway, it functions in the same capacity giving the Senriyama team willpower and additional motivation to get to the finals so that they will not let the effort of their teammate down.

Devil's advocate
It is possible that because of Toki being hospitalized, instead of burning with willpower to avenge their teammate, Senriyama will be too rattled or too emotional and not play their best.

3. Strength

If you look at the table even if we don't take the vanguard match in account. Senriyama is leading by about 8,500 points against the Achiga team. Even if it isn't much its still a lead.

Beside Senriyama is still on second place and defending is a bit easier than getting points.

Devil's advocate

It is possible that because Senriyama looks stronger than Achiga and Shindouji that Shiraitodai might aim for Senriyama allowing the weaker team to advance to make it easier for themselves in the final round.

Senriyama getting second place in a precarious position. Since with the ridiculous lead that Shiraitodai has on everyone else - Shindouji and Achiga might combine forces to target Senriyama which is more within their reach.

Shindouji

Or Subara's team....

1. Mystery team

Compared to Achiga and Senriyama , Shindouji has not been fully explored yet. They might have some powerful players hidden in their roster because as the anime has informed as they go from weakest to strongest.

Besides, not being full fleshed out could be a good thing since it might mean that the author is saving their flashbacks for the finals.

Devil's advocate

Not being fully explored could mean that Shindouji is a generic fodder team, too.

2. Dark horse

Compared to Achiga and Senriyama - no one expects Shindouji to make it. Thus, perhaps for a plot twist they might make it to the finals. Besides they're school is supposed to be strong.

Devil's advocate
Sometimes there is no shocking plot twist and sometimes the direction of the story is that obvious.
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 04:48   Link #1943
night_sentinel

I've already posted this out on the manga thread but someone pointed out to me that I should post it here since there are some people who don't visit it. I don't think there is a spoiler on the manga on the cards. So here Saki pro card collectibles.

Fujita Yasuko
Saku Ferreters
Age 25 June 25 in Nagano Prefecture
Yumifuri - Okayama - Toyama - Saku

Became Pro after success in Intercollegiate and Business Leagues. Oftentimes sortied as a Captain when her team is losing.

Now on Wakane pro:

Mihirogi Uta
Yokohama Lodestars
Age 24
Birthday is February 23 in Kanagawa Prefecture
Myoukouji - Yokohama

"The RBI King that led the team to first place with overwhelming firepower and gamebreaking Golden Hands. Currently the Vanguard of the All-Japan Team"

Credits to the translation goes to /u/ anons.

Comment on the cards:
So apparently Fujita-pro earned her nickname reversal queen because she usually is deployed when her team is losing as captain and judging from her nickname she is usually able to turn the situation around.

On Wakane... oh wow... she's apparently the Vanguard of the all-star Japan team. That means our airheaded Wakane commentator is really really strong.
I do wonder what gamebreaking golden hands is , yakuman spam anyone?
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 06:00   Link #1944
Kyuu
=^^=

Image a separate Saki series on the Pros. Where ultimately, Saki herself ends up going Pro.
Old 2012-07-28, 08:48   Link #1945
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Saki herself ends up going Pro.
Please, we all know that Saki is going into politics.
Old 2012-07-28, 15:15   Link #1946
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
Image a separate Saki series on the Pros. Where ultimately, Saki herself ends up going Pro.
It would be nice as well if she take the role as pro comentator.

But of course, the best non-pro commentator would be Toki/Ryuuka duo since Toki, as analyist, could offer us some "future" insight in the match while resting on Ryuuka's lap.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-28, 19:22   Link #1947
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Saki won't turn pro for a good, long while... it may be a few years' wait before we see that happen. There's still the:

-International high-school tournament
-Prefectural Collage tournament
-Inter Collage level tournament
-Japanese open

before we even get to pro games and the international open.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 02:56   Link #1948
Peanutbutter

I'll like to imagine there'll be a World Youth Mahjong competition as well.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-29, 03:27   Link #1949
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
the international open.
I refuse to acknowledge that part. To include something like that, it diminishes the Japanese National tournament.
Old 2012-08-01, 18:45   Link #1950
Ridwan

Some saucy stuff :

Spoiler for mild NWS:
Old 2012-08-01, 18:59   Link #1951
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegir View Post
Some saucy stuff :

Spoiler for mild NWS:
One problem:

Spoiler:
Old 2012-08-01, 22:01   Link #1952
RJ TAYLER

"That" time of the month perhaps?
Old 2012-08-02, 00:09   Link #1953
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Sacrilege! Underwear does not exist in Sakiverse...

Bad news btw. New chapter of Saki got delayed again.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-02, 02:42   Link #1954
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by night_sentinel View Post
Anyway, in preparation to the next Achiga-hen episode that hopefully would come this August, I will try to analyze who will win... looks at Shiraitodai's score ... err... scrape second place on the Side-A semi-finals.
Additional episodes will be there in August I hope so too
Old 2012-08-03, 07:48   Link #1955
kona~chan
ヘタレ

meanwhile, while waiting for new episodes....
NicoNico
not as awesome as saki cast, but it's fun watching them playing mahjong game for real

”生きるってつらいな。。。”
Onjouji Toki
kona~chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 13:18   Link #1956
Snuffle
likes cute things

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan View Post
Bad news btw. New chapter of Saki got delayed again.
What is this "news" you speak of? What was the date beforehand? And what is it now?
Snuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-03, 15:37   Link #1957
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
HOW ARE YOU GENTLEMEN?

Photoshop based on Saki Achiga-hen's current level of dominance in J-SaiMoe 2012.

Photoshop concept by Triple_R
Actual photoshop work by Kogetsu Shirogane
Old 2012-08-03, 17:33   Link #1958
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kona~chan View Post
meanwhile, while waiting for new episodes....
NicoNico
not as awesome as saki cast, but it's fun watching them playing mahjong game for real
ouaa good
Old 2012-08-06, 16:18   Link #1959
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
I'm aware of the fact that Saki: Achiga-hen still has three more episodes to go but barring a complete change in quality I don't find it likely that I'll need to hold off on my thoughts. As for the anime itself I approached this one with bated breath for I'm aware of how often spin-offs fall short of the main series. I wouldn't call this anime bad but it does have some noticeable problems and its best strength didn't even seem intentional. More thoughts below...
Spoiler for Length:
GANBARIMASU

Last edited by Akito Kinomoto; 2012-08-06 at 16:36.
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-06, 20:18   Link #1960
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito Kinomoto View Post
Of course, if you’re anything like me, having one particularly outstanding character will be more than enough to redeem the series. However, if inconsistent pacing, straightforward storytelling (bad for this particular franchise), and bland main characters are too problematic for you then feel free to either approach this anime with bated breath or avoid it entirely. This show is nothing but an afterthought for the main series whose greatest strength was likely not its main intention anyway. At the very least, Saki: Achiga-hen is an enjoyable if flawed experience.
I have no issue with any summary of Saki: Achiga-hen's multiple and fairly evident flaws except that I must object to one particular point in your conclusion. Regardless of your opinion on its quality compared to the first series, Achiga-hen is required viewing/reading for any real fan of the Saki franchise. You describe the spinoff as cameo-centric, but I would say that the real point of Achiga-hen is that it is so intertwined with the characters and narrative of the main story that there is no excuse for missing out on this story for any self-respecting fan of the Saki franchise. So regardless of any issues that Achiga-hen might have with characterization or pacing (although I challenge the notion that Toki's enormous appeal as a protagonist-like character was not intentional), towards any fan who enjoyed the first Saki series, I would never go so far as to say "feel free to skip/avoid Achiga" or call it an "afterthought".

If I may add, the most obvious/greatest element in Achiga which connects it and makes it relevant to the original series is the tremendous focus this series devotes to Teru. I notice that your review didn't really bring up any mention of this element.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri