2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-01-23, 15:18   Link #21
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well after this episode I don't think anyone could say much against her most likely self-proclaimed title of "Horo the Wise". She has the great ability of being energetic yet at the same time very clever. A combination like that certainly makes her an interesting character to watch.

Did like her line concerning jealousy. Proclaiming her and Lawrence as a couple of idiots. No doubt she enjoyed watching Lawrence get jealous like that. Was a bit of fun for the audience as well so its all good.

Curious about the preview though. Those things can always give us a surprise since there is little context surrounding what situation they are in. Episode 2 it was some staring now and then while hanging the clothes and now in episode 4 it at least appears he's moving in for a kiss. Guess there is nothing to do but speculate and wait.
Old 2008-01-23, 16:38   Link #22
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Well after this episode I don't think anyone could say much against her most likely self-proclaimed title of "Horo the Wise". She has the great ability of being energetic yet at the same time very clever. A combination like that certainly makes her an interesting character to watch.
Remember that her tricking that old fellow is akin to an old fellow tricking a toddler
Old 2008-01-23, 19:13   Link #23
kauldron26
Med Student

ever since planet es made space garbage men supremely interesting, i never under estimate any topic anymore. no matter how boring or mundane it sounds. who would have thought 20 mins of silver trade could be so interesting.
Old 2008-01-23, 19:19   Link #24
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerII

From generic discussion thread:
I still don't understand the popularity..lol. I like the show but it is an economic and adventure show. Is everyone just that obsessed with Horo?
I echo your thoughts. While Spice and Wolf is probably better than most of what's available this season, it hasn't really hooked me as much as I would expect it to do so. I guess beautiful naked women alone aren't enough to hold my attention.

That said, some developments remain interesting from a trivia perspective. Horo is certainly a savvy saleswoman, but I don't agree completely with her business ethics. "Fooling" your customer is generally not a good way to build a long-term business relationship, but since Lawrence and Horo were dealing with a foreign buyer they might not meet again, I suppose we can let that slip.

Different currencies and their uses in affecting the balance of power between countries and the Church -- now that's something you don't often see in any form of popular entertainment. Early mercantilism did probably work that way to a certain extent. But I'll have to read up a bit more to be sure. Good work at making technical details like that interesting for a popular audience.

And I guess Lawrence has been tricked by a version of the Nigerian scam. Who is the mastermind, I wonder?
Old 2008-01-23, 19:24   Link #25
Rhyel
*Graphic Designer

Very good episode, the show of Horo continue, but...

Strange, The Red Eyes of Horo not surprise anyone?
Old 2008-01-23, 19:31   Link #26
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyel View Post
Very good episode, the show of Horo continue, but...

Strange, The Red Eyes of Horo not surprise anyone?
Her red eyes allow her better night vision. Wikipedia time!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-eye_effect

Quote:
In many species the tapetum lucidum, a light-reflecting layer behind the retina which improves night vision, intensifies this effect. This leads to variations in the color of the reflected light from species to species.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_vision

Quote:
Some animals, such as cats, dogs, and deer have a structure called tapetum lucidum in the back of the eye that reflects light back towards the retina, increasing the amount of light it captures. In humans, only 10% of the light that enters the eye falls on photosensitive parts of the retina. An animal's ability to see in low light levels may be similar to what humans see when using first or perhaps second generation image intensifiers.
Old 2008-01-23, 19:34   Link #27
Rhyel
*Graphic Designer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masanori Ota View Post
Her red eyes allow her better night vision. Wikipedia time!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-eye_effect

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_vision
Err I mean... Others characters, people with red eyes is not common.
Old 2008-01-23, 19:42   Link #28
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Nice third episode, I liked the way Horo haggled the fur traders. I do agree that tricking people isn't the best way to go, but the guy should be able to realise that fur wont retain the smell forever, he may even work out what she did and replicate it. That way he can still sell his scented clothing. I liked the currency exchange part, that was pretty funny. The whole shaking the coins, Weiss, and the discussion in the Inn afterwards were really good. Lawrence was pretty good in his attempts to explain the differences in coins to Horo, and how he cottoned on after Horo mentioned that Zeiren was probably a proxy dealer for someone higher up. Lastly, the whole food thing in this episode was pretty funny. Horo really loves her apples, and bread stick thingy.
Old 2008-01-23, 19:54   Link #29
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Other worldly demon/oni types often seem to get the red eyes... Nerine in Shuffle! or Etona in Disgaea.

Why the humans don't notice hers... I could rationalize my heart away but basically its a way to denote her as unhuman. I guess people see only what they want to see (I keep borrowing quotes from The Point lately).

I suppose I'd argue that her eyes may come off as a bit oddly colored but not totally alien. I've known people with hazel eyes (which just means lots of colors) who had a fair amount of red mixed in with the yellows, browns, and greens in their eyes. My eye colors (hazel) have changed over time... they used to have more red but are now a bit more green.
Old 2008-01-23, 19:58   Link #30
Masanori Ota
It's Horo, not Han Solo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyel View Post
Err I mean... Others characters, people with red eyes is not common.
Well technically Horo's not a person, she's a wolf, so I guess the red wolf eyes for night hunting stayed that way during her transformation.
Old 2008-01-23, 20:23   Link #31
Hedd
Random Object

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masanori Ota View Post
Well technically Horo's not a person, she's a wolf god, so I guess the red wolf eyes for night hunting stayed that way during her transformation.
fixed. Considering her ears and tail as well, this would probably be the case.

On another note:

I'm rather fond of the constant sparring of wits they do almost every moment of the day.
Old 2008-01-23, 21:15   Link #32
X207
Gamyūsa

horo is quite smart. id hate to have to bargain with her, she'd meke me pay too much for the stuff. i like see the sides of her that dont come too often, it makes for nice surprises.
Old 2008-01-23, 22:20   Link #33
Serenity85
Horo-ism

Another great ep^^ Poor Lawrence getting schooled but what he thought was a novice merchant. Horo's so darn cool and cute^^ New fav char bumping long time leader Fate (MGLN) from top spot^^ Next ep looks interesting^^ Could Lawrence be falling for the cute wolf girl, we'll have to wait and see... gah I hate waiting^^

On a side note I can chaulk another new anime to well located pics lol^^ At least have my anime I watch comes from finding pics or .gif files on sites while hunting down pics^^ This is just another one of those lucky finds^^ Now to hope for english versions of novels, manga and anime to come over to Canada^^
Old 2008-01-23, 22:30   Link #34
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Just goes to show you what some good images can do. Would personally give credit to torrent sites and the habit of checking out a lot of anime.

Do wonder exactly what Lawrence plans to do and what the overall plan is. A good series for trying to think about things like trading and how it all comes together. Though if it meant teaming up with someone like Horo even I'd be willing to go traveling on a cart to various places.
Old 2008-01-23, 22:51   Link #35
pushpaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Another episode, and this show continues to prove its worth as solid quality material. All the trading and currency business was interesting to follow, as was watching Horo earn her keep and make Lawrence gap at it. Sure seems her (no doubt self-proclaimed) title of "Horo the Wise" is not just for the show Lawrence sure has managed to get a very promising (not to mention cute and spunky ) business companion. No doubt Horo is not the only one who can learn something from the journey. Speaking of which, she looked absurdly cute when trying to remember the coin names.

Some display of jealousy for Lawrence ... and Horo proves once more to be very perceptive. I especially liked her "males are stupid and jealous. And females are stupid to be happy about it" line (Does that mean she was happy about that display of jealousy ? ).

The preview looked "interesting" to say the least ... they might be fooling with us, but who knows. Either way i am looking towards the next episode - among all the shows i am currently following Spice and Wolf has reinforced its position as the most enjoyable one.

When I first heard Lawrence call her kenrou Horo there was no subtitle for that particular conversation, so I asked a native Japanese man what kenrou meant. It means wise wolf (interesting that it got translated out as just "the wise") and since Lawrence called her that before she started referring to herself as kenrou Horo, I'd guess that everyone in the local area referred to her as Horo the Wise Wolf rather than the title being self-referential. Which makes it a bit more of a humbler title; if Horo was as smart as a chimpanzee she'd still could claim to be the Wise Wolf.
Old 2008-01-24, 01:30   Link #36
Omfgbbqwtf

I Spice and Wolf is somewhat slow-moving and conflict-free through the first 3 episodes. Yet, somehow I am still hooked. The talks about the trade and currency are extremely interesting.

Episode 3 ended well. I can't wait for the next episode and see what Lawrence is going to do.
Old 2008-01-24, 04:08   Link #37
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Fascinating, I gave the episode a "10" despite hardly any 'nekkid wolf goddess'. The conversations and the connectivity between Lawrence and Horo were wonderful. It really isn't *what* they're saying... its *how* they're saying it to each other as budding partners (though the content is entertaining). Heh, in some ways this series should be part of an economics class for young teens or something

The secondary characters were amusing, especially his money-changing women-lusting friend.

gah... These two are in direct competition for my favorite couple of all time with only 3 episodes in the vault.
Old 2008-01-24, 08:25   Link #38
Jerseykid

This anime makes me want to play one of those strategy sims like settlers from the time period. I love the trading drama.
Old 2008-01-24, 08:40   Link #39
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
heh. like the way Horo took control of the situation in ep3.

mainly because back then, women wasn't suppose to speak up.

Of course in the realm of money, people are still have a more liberal thinking, so i guess that's why the merchant didn't seem all that surprised when Horo took over from Lawrence.

They probably thought that's the whole point of him marrying such an intelligent women, to take with him on his work.
Old 2008-01-24, 08:44   Link #40
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Horo and Lawrences interactions are done so well. I feel like im really there listening to their conversations. Lawrence that poor poor guy getting schooled by Horo like that, but its all about profit and he made way more than he would have on his own even if Horo cheated a bit.

Horo's playful side comes through again as Lawrence did get a little jealous. Horo being the observant one that she is noticed of course and made the comment about men being stupid for being jealous and women being stupid for loving it. The way she hooked Lawrences arm after that was cute it made them look like a couple for a split second. I feel that at this point they both have become very well adjusted with one another, even to the point of Lawrence listening to Horo's suggestions. Did anyone else just melt when she whining about wanting the apples? That scene was priceless. Right now the best way to Horo's heart is through her stomach lol

Another great episode with not really anything disappointing worth mentioning. Spice and Wolf is shaping up to be one of favorite of the season and with Horo gathering a huge following im sure Horo-ism is going to be with us for quite a while

My eyes could have been playing tricks on me but in the preview for episode 4 i could have sworn it looked like Lawrence was about to kiss horo. Anyone else see this? Though i know not to rely on previews that much.

Hey JerseyKid are you getting Oregon Trail urges?

Last edited by Sinestra; 2008-01-24 at 10:37.
Closed Thread