Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-01-30, 15:19   Link #341
SquirrelLuvsPnut
Kill on sight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Since when do characters need to do anything to be liked?
Ha! That is quite true!
SquirrelLuvsPnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-30, 16:46   Link #342
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Hey as long as you have a good personality, you don't need to "do" anything.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-30, 18:34   Link #343
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Episode 1:

Hmmm, the episode would have been better (seeing as I like the unique character designs and the hints of the historical adventure/journey) if the characters would learn to shut up for a moment. I know the complaints lies more on the author himself, but seriously, less is more! The dialogues weren't even the least bit witty, much less meaningful.
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-30, 22:25   Link #344
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Wow. I love dialogue-heavy series, but that was... That was a lot of talking. And a lot of fast talking. And more talking, and then more. It was enjoyable, had some very well-written scenes and the action sequences were quite good - but I don't recall ever seeing so much yakking in one anime episode. After a while it made me sort of numb, and I was having a hard time staying focused on the dialogue.

Well, first episodes - they have a lot to set up, I suppose.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-31, 00:18   Link #345
kyouray
2D > 3D

It's a pleasure that fanarts are spreading rapidly on pixiv :
Spoiler for pixiv fanarts:
Old 2010-01-31, 00:29   Link #346
Kunagisa

Wow you weren't kidding ... must've taken you forever to re-upload all those ...
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-31, 00:56   Link #347
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Series is nice. I wasn't bothered by the dialog, actually its probably the series strong point for me.
Old 2010-01-31, 01:48   Link #348
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
Series is nice. I wasn't bothered by the dialog, actually its probably the series strong point for me.
Or more like... the only point for this series.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-31, 02:16   Link #349
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
... so far!
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-31, 02:19   Link #350
Ulrezaj

It gets more interesting. Episode 2 has significantly less exposition.
Ulrezaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-31, 02:28   Link #351
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
She kinda did. She knocked down the other two before they even react to the shurikens.
Since she mused if her brother is going to be alright being "so weak" and not having read the novels my crack theory is that she's actually the strongest.

Also loved the reverse tsundere: "Don't get me wrong, I'm doing this for you!"
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-31, 02:39   Link #352
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulrezaj View Post
It gets more interesting. Episode 2 has significantly less exposition.
Well, I sure hope so. That episode was probably one of the few anime I've watched that gave me slight headaches with the extreme amount of dialog. Only Gosenzosama Banzai seemed to be on par with it. heh. Actually, the dialog alone I have no problem with too much until it got too cute and started veering into the self-awareness of it being a novel conversion.. That was pretty awkard.

It'd be pretty funny if they have a non-speaking villain coming out and there still being exposition.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-31, 02:49   Link #353
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

One reason that probably made the dialog seem excessive for some is the episode's running time. At nearly 50 minutes, it is something that can easily drag on in the eyes of many.
Old 2010-01-31, 03:24   Link #354
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
One reason that probably made the dialog seem excessive for some is the episode's running time. At nearly 50 minutes, it is something that can easily drag on in the eyes of many.
That's a good point. I'll admit that at some point, I did think the dialogue was a bit much and there was hardly any fighting. Even in the middle of a fight, there was too much speech. Then again, it was only the first episode and a lot of things had to be introduced to the audience. That and the fact that it was nearly an hour long. I'll look forward to the next ep
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-31, 03:31   Link #355
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

"The pen is mightier then the sword." Well I think it would be awfully boring with out the dialog at least; this seems a lot more akin to some of the slice of life series rather then cliché shonen. At least I hope so.

...and ya the cute "write a novel" talk was kinda should-have-left-it-out IMO too.
Old 2010-01-31, 04:11   Link #356
Sol Falling

Quote:
Well, I sure hope so. That episode was probably one of the few anime I've watched that gave me slight headaches with the extreme amount of dialog. Only Gosenzosama Banzai seemed to be on par with it. heh. Actually, the dialog alone I have no problem with too much until it got too cute and started veering into the self-awareness of it being a novel conversion.. That was pretty awkard.

It'd be pretty funny if they have a non-speaking villain coming out and there still being exposition.
Somebody else has already agreed with you so I say this at risk of making this a circle jerk, but yes, I have always found breaking the fourth wall as an attempt at wit or humour to be one of the most shallow gimmicks out there. I've seen enough of Nisio now to acknowledge that he isn't all hype and reputation but I still must say this habit of his didn't help my early impressions of him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
"The pen is mightier then the sword." Well I think it would be awfully boring with out the dialog at least; this seems a lot more akin to some of the slice of life series rather then cliché shonen. At least I hope so.

...and ya the cute "write a novel" talk was kinda should-have-left-it-out IMO too.
I am not totally sure I am interpreting you correctly but if you are saying that Katanagatari is more slice of life than shounen then that is just // to me. Even with the slow pace of the action, this is very clearly an action/fighting series, and even with the loads of dialogue, it is very clearly more about politics/drama/warfare than everyday life. I don't see this show as slice of life at all.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-31, 04:22   Link #357
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

I never said it was, I said its related to...
Old 2010-01-31, 04:47   Link #358
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
So you just ignore the art and animation then?
Old 2010-01-31, 08:52   Link #359
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

According to the drama CD casting information, the character named Hitehime (LN thread for spoilers, don't think I should disclose here who she is) is voiced by Tomatsu Haruka.

Sannomiya Shiho, huh. I approve.
Daniel Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-31, 12:08   Link #360
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It's been suggested in some of the blogs that the excessive dialogue is a send-up of the shounen "let's endlessly describe how we're going to kill each other before we kill each other" trope. My hope is this it's not a sign we're going to see the hilariously self-important kind of dialogue so prominent in Bakemonogotari.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, adventure, comedy, edo setting, light novel adaptation, nishio, romance, tragedy