Old 2011-12-27, 17:47   Link #1
Crusify_me

Top 10 Anime of All Time.....

My top 10 anime of all time
That you may or may not have seen
Tell me what you think
or what your top 5 or 10 are

10. Ergo Proxy
- The Sci Fi setting and plot was well constructed and purposeful, making the viewer want to continue the next episode right away. Protagonist Reel Mayer is unique with an original appearance and shares a unique relationship with the other protagonist, Vincent Law. Worth a look if you haven't seen it yet. Has some mild romance.
Sci-Fi/Dark/Action/Mystery
Episodes x23

9. Whisper of the Heart
- Liked this anime due to the movie's theme- the song "Take me Home Country Roads". If you've never heard this song before, you'll come to love it; after watching this movie it became my favorite song of all time.
Slice of life/drama
Movie x1

8. Spiral
- A gifted high-school student becomes involved in the mystery of the "Blade Children" that puts him and his partner Hiyono into many mysterious and high-risk situations. Plot has depth, and the relationship between the protagonist(s) and the antagonists is dynamic.
Mystery/Thriller
Episodes x25

7. Hikaru no go
- You know a series is a near masterpiece if it's about a board game and is rated nearly top 20 on every anime site. The protagonist progresses throughout the series and the plot moves at a steady pace. Has a supernatural element to it.
Episodes x75

6. Ray
- Series about a gifted surgeon, Ray, who performs surgeries with her "eyes" while trying to uncover the secrets of her childhood and past along with her partner Shinoyama. The over-arching plot is well constructed, the characters are original. References "Black Jack" from time to time.
Sci-Fi/Medical/Romance/Mystery
Episodes x13

5. Full Metal Alchemist
- Whether you watch the original or the new "Full Mental Alchemist Brotherhood" is up to you; they are both phenomenal. Two brothers try to save their recently-dead mother using forbidden alchemy and suffer severe consequences. The rest of the plot is a journey filled with alchemy and elements.
Adventure/Action/Fantasy/Supernatural
Episodes x51

4. Tytania
- Not the most well-known series but it really is the only space-related series I like. The element that sold me was the cunning Lord Jouslain and his entourage. It's a good series since I ranked it over FMA and Hikaru no go
Space/politics/action/Sci-Fi
Episodes x26

3. Spice and Wolf I & II
- The setting, scenery, tone/mood sold me completely- too beautiful to pass up. What sold me even more is the interaction between the two protagonists- they meet, learn about each other, bond, get into trouble, and overcome each ordeal.
Original. Really the only anime I would ever give a 10/10.
Adventure/Romance
Episodes x25

2. Lamune
- Surprising, but it's my #2 because once again the setting, scenery, tone/mood was great. Better done than most Romance animes because the 2 protagonists have a bond that no one of the other characters can relate to or replace.
Romance/slice of life
Episodes x12

1. Detective Conan
- The first anime/manga I've ever read/watched. First off, don't watch its English dubbed version (renamed "Case Closed"- it's crap), watch Japanese dub with either English or Mandarin subtitles; second if you have never seen this anime before, then start by watching the TV series up until the character Miyano Shiho is introduced. After that, forfeit the TV series and watch all of its films (there are 16 up until this point and they are infinitely better than the TV episodes.
Episodes xx
Movie x16 (continuing every year)

Last edited by Crusify_me; 2011-12-30 at 15:56.
Crusify_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-27, 18:01   Link #2
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Of All Time huh...
This would be impossible.
I have some anime I like best of course, but me from 10 years ago would possibly disagree with my current selection.

And I hate rewatching shows so I can never be sure if my old tastes still hold true.
As a result, my personal list of favorites is always short lived and does not stretch far back.

Just to give an example that is on your list too:
I have enjoyed watching Ergo Proxy.
The most favorable memory of that series is of the girl, who had a strong character and was the major factor in making the plot go anywhere (I was very thankful to her for doing that).
Which leads me to the negative point: The plot was shadowed in mystery and hidden behind weird symbolics for no reason. I hate it, when the characters seem to see and know more than I do, even though I'm with them during those scenes. Basic human senses should have been enough to tell what's going on around our characters, but even that was often obstructed by using bizarre visuals and "dream sequences" instead.
Nowadays I would not tolerate all this information widthdrawel as much as I did back then.
In fact much of my ramblings may just be me judging the series in hindsight.

Last edited by Dhomochevsky; 2011-12-27 at 18:23.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-27, 18:20   Link #3
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
Of all time? Hard to tell.

But modern stuff surely wouldnt be included.
Old 2011-12-27, 18:25   Link #4
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong View Post
Of all time? Hard to tell.

But modern stuff surely wouldnt be included.
I'm inclined to agree. This would be a highly subjective list, but would have to include anime's that were highly influential and game changers.

Endless "Making a list, checking it twice" Soul
Old 2011-12-27, 18:28   Link #5
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
But surely there is nothing wrong with posting a subjective list of what you think are the 10 you most enjoyed (at least as of posting).
Old 2011-12-27, 18:33   Link #6
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

I just doubt that would be so useful. List topics usually lack discussion and are mostly good for "Oh, that anime pops up in a lot of lists and I don't know it. Time to check it out".
But on an All Time list, that does not work so well.

Anyway I can try, so check out my top raters if they are still around.
I got a folder, in which I put all my watched series, just to make sure to never rewatch them on accident (see first post ). I will just compose a list out of it's content. It should stretch back far enough for me.

1. Fantastic Children
2. Baccano
3. Heroic Age
4. Red Garden
5. Shiki
6. Umineko no Naku Koro ni
7. Steins;Gate
8. Kemonozume
8. Noein
9. Death Note
10. Hajime no Ippo
11. Natsu no Arashi
12. Otome Youkai Zakuro

Damn I crossed the limit.

Last edited by Dhomochevsky; 2011-12-27 at 18:49.
Old 2011-12-27, 18:37   Link #7
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Hmm ... maybe the OP is looking for such lists. *shrugs*

Ah well.
Old 2011-12-27, 18:56   Link #8
Crusify_me

just interested in seeing ppl's tastes
since they're are certain genres that i avoid
Old 2011-12-27, 19:04   Link #9
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
I just doubt that would be so useful. List topics usually lack discussion and are mostly good for "Oh, that anime pops up in a lot of lists and I don't know it. Time to check it out".
But on an All Time list, that does not work so well.

Anyway I can try, so check out my top raters if they are still around.
I got a folder, in which I put all my watched series, just to make sure to never rewatch them on accident (see first post ). I will just compose a list out of it's content. It should stretch back far enough for me.

1. Fantastic Children
2. Baccano
3. Heroic Age
4. Red Garden
5. Shiki
6. Umineko no Naku Koro ni
7. Steins;Gate
8. Kemonozume
8. Noein
9. Death Note
10. Hajime no Ippo
11. Natsu no Arashi
12. Otome Youkai Zakuro

Damn I crossed the limit.
Umineko? Sure it's a greal VN, but as an anime... Steins;Gate too
Old 2011-12-27, 19:05   Link #10
Amorok
Ghostbuster

Crustify, I think you are my new best friend. It's so rare to find someone who appreciates Spiral as much as I do -- AND you included anime's other best mystery titles in your list, Detective Conan. I love you forever. xD

Here's my list (I'll include my reasons for choosing so this doesn't become just another list thread):

1. Berserk: A truly exquisite -- and in my opinion underappreciated -- anime with a deeply philosophical tilt, tragic characters, and one of the most heart-wrenching finales I have ever seen. I am, simply put, in love with this anime, and I urge everyone to run out and purchase it this very moment to show your support for Kentaro Miura's scintillating genius. Then go get the manga.
2. Last Exile: This is a quality anime, 'nuff said. The cels are beautifully shaded and the writing blows your average run-of-the-mill anime series out of the water. Also, if you're a fan of steampunk, you have no excuse not to watch it.
3. Yu Yu Hakusho: It's a classic. Sure, it has a repetitive plot and more Mary/Gary Sues than you can shake a stick at, but it's so thoroughly entertaining I can't bring myself to care.
4. Vampire Princes Miyu: Alright, so the manga is vastly superior to the OVA, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the hell out of it. I'm a huge fan of the art style, and Miyu is one of the few strong, sympathetic, but not-overdone female characters in anime.
5. Escaflowne: A classic anime that takes place in an elaborate world of high fantasy, battle mechs, and giant airships. In many ways, Escaflowne is a departure from your typical fantasy anime -- many of which seem shallow and rely too heavily on cliche tropes and flat archetypal characters -- but Escaflowne escapes many of the pitfalls of its genre. Not all of them, but many.
6. Hunter X Hunter: Like all of Togashi's work, this anime is just… fun. I don't know how else to phrase it. There's a good blend of action, humor, characterization, and a whole heaping pile of adventure. I watched this series as a middle schooler, but I feel like it would appeal to adults who are looking for a lighthearted and humorous anime with likable characters and a fast-paced storyline.
7. Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo: Because. The art. Good god, the ART. It is gorgeous.
8. Ouran High School Host Club: Art is so-so, but Hatori's sense of humor is golden. OHSHC is what Fruits Basket should have been, but fell sadly short. While it is a humorous anime, this anime will occasionally jump out and surprise you with its in-depth character analysis/development and random insights.
9. Fujimi Orchestra: Yes, a yaoi. But a surprisingly deep one that leaves you pondering long after it's over. A somewhat tragic story about misunderstanding and unrequited feelings.
10. Angel Sanctuary: Another anime that I'm listing primarily for the art, but also because of the elaborate and intricately-realized world in which the story takes place. And by world, I mean Kaori Yuki's rather creative re-imagining of Christian mythology. I imagine this series would piss off a lot of fundamentalist Christians.
Amorok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-27, 19:08   Link #11
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Both Steins;Gate and Umineko are in there because of their cast of characters mainly. There is no anime in my list, that did not offer me at least some characters that I loved. I would never list a title because of it's artistic value, or something like that. All personal feelings.
Also from that list you can see I dig SciFi/Fantasy shows and I like plot twist and epic arcs. I like to be surprised, in a clever, non random way.
Steins;Gate scored massive bonus points from fitting so perfectly. It felt like a custom made suit tailored to my tastes.
Old 2011-12-27, 19:12   Link #13
Crusify_me

I still remember back when I was a kid living in Taiwan Yu yu hakusho was one of the only shows on tv and it was always followed after by Doraemon and Chibi Maruko-chan
haha

If you love yyhakusho than check out
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq2vl...8&feature=plcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorok View Post
Crustify, I think you are my new best friend. It's so rare to find someone who appreciates Spiral as much as I do -- AND you included anime's other best mystery titles in your list, Detective Conan. I love you forever. xD

Here's my list (I'll include my reasons for choosing so this doesn't become just another list thread):

1. Berserk: A truly exquisite -- and in my opinion underappreciated -- anime with a deeply philosophical tilt, tragic characters, and one of the most heart-wrenching finales I have ever seen. I am, simply put, in love with this anime, and I urge everyone to run out and purchase it this very moment to show your support for Kentaro Miura's scintillating genius. Then go get the manga.
2. Last Exile: This is a quality anime, 'nuff said. The cels are beautifully shaded and the writing blows your average run-of-the-mill anime series out of the water. Also, if you're a fan of steampunk, you have no excuse not to watch it.
3. Yu Yu Hakusho: It's a classic. Sure, it has a repetitive plot and more Mary/Gary Sues than you can shake a stick at, but it's so thoroughly entertaining I can't bring myself to care.
4. Vampire Princes Miyu: Alright, so the manga is vastly superior to the OVA, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the hell out of it. I'm a huge fan of the art style, and Miyu is one of the few strong, sympathetic, but not-overdone female characters in anime.
5. Escaflowne: A classic anime that takes place in an elaborate world of high fantasy, battle mechs, and giant airships. In many ways, Escaflowne is a departure from your typical fantasy anime -- many of which seem shallow and rely too heavily on cliche tropes and flat archetypal characters -- but Escaflowne escapes many of the pitfalls of its genre. Not all of them, but many.
6. Hunter X Hunter: Like all of Togashi's work, this anime is just… fun. I don't know how else to phrase it. There's a good blend of action, humor, characterization, and a whole heaping pile of adventure. I watched this series as a middle schooler, but I feel like it would appeal to adults who are looking for a lighthearted and humorous anime with likable characters and a fast-paced storyline.
7. Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo: Because. The art. Good god, the ART. It is gorgeous.
8. Ouran High School Host Club: Art is so-so, but Hatori's sense of humor is golden. OHSHC is what Fruits Basket should have been, but fell sadly short. While it is a humorous anime, this anime will occasionally jump out and surprise you with its in-depth character analysis/development and random insights.
9. Fujimi Orchestra: Yes, a yaoi. But a surprisingly deep one that leaves you pondering long after it's over. A somewhat tragic story about misunderstanding and unrequited feelings.
10. Angel Sanctuary: Another anime that I'm listing primarily for the art, but also because of the elaborate and intricately-realized world in which the story takes place. And by world, I mean Kaori Yuki's rather creative re-imagining of Christian mythology. I imagine this series would piss off a lot of fundamentalist Christians.
Old 2011-12-27, 19:15   Link #14
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

I will give a rough and ready list - why not?

Note that they are not in any particular order ... that would be tough to do.

Aria series
Marimite series
Ghibli movie Whisper of the Heart
Clannad series
Ikoku Meiro no Croisee
The 12 Kingdoms
5 Centimeters per Second movie
Kowarekake no Orgel OVA
Kimi ni Todoke series
Tamayura series
Kemono no Soujo Erin
Ghibli movie Only Yesterday
Old 2011-12-27, 19:19   Link #15
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Ah, here is another annyoing thing about list topics:
You will always find some titles in other lists, that you forgot to put in yours.

Of course I would have included The 12 Kingdoms. Way up there too. Only it's not in my archive folder. I have it on CD somewhere.
Old 2011-12-27, 19:30   Link #16
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Violence Jack.
This anime is so S-Rank

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abGcka75v1c
+18, Gore.

You know, we need to make a Testoterone-fueled Top 10 anime list.
It would obviously include Hokuto no ken and Rikki oh
Old 2011-12-27, 21:34   Link #17
RegalStar
Mishaguji-sama

I've only seriously watched anime for a year but what the heck, I can arrange a list of five at least.

1. Clannad
2. Toradora
3. Steins;Gate
4. Nichijou
5. Usagi Drop
RegalStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-27, 21:36   Link #18
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Deleted my other post so I can fill out my list more. OK so in no particular order:
  • Macross DYRL - It was highly influential.
  • Space Battleship Yamato - It was highly influential, even today.
  • Akira - Highly acclaimed and edgy for its time.
  • Dirty Pair - Those girls could help an old lady cross the street and manage to destroy a few city blocks doing it.
  • Cowboy Bebop - Again, different and edgy for its time.
  • Vampire Hunter D - I don't remember why, it'd been so long, but I feel this anime is among that greats.
  • Macross Frontier - A good addition to the Macross universe.
  • Kimi ni Todoke - (I'm still thinking about this one. For a clean-cut romance story, I felt it was very good)
  • Ikoku Meiro no Croisee - Although it's a modern anime released earlier this year, it's a heart warming story with amazing art.
  • Grave of the Fireflies - Not so much for the animation, but for the effect. I honestly can't think of any other anime, series or movie, that could punch you in the gut, and leave you an emotional wreck. This story was so powerful, and so heart wrenching, that I never want to see it again.

Endless "Going WAY back" Soul
Old 2011-12-28, 01:10   Link #19
Undertaker

Instead of ranking, I'll just list ten titles that pop up my head the first:

Legend of the Galactic Heroes
K-On
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Cyber Formula Saga
Touch
Monster
City Hunter
One Piece
Cats Eye
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Doraemon

I guess that's 11 not 10, there are more those that the first one that come up my head that I really liked.
Old 2011-12-28, 03:45   Link #20
sergel02

Smile

hmm there are lots i like, but few i can say i love. So here are i guess as close to a top 10 as i can get.

1. Sailor Moon
This is the show that got me into anime and Japanese culture. Well one of them.

2. Cardcaptors/Cadcaptor Sakura
I can still watch it and love it, even if it is a bit light on the action. Wish it went on longer. I know the dub is terrible but its what i have memories of.

3. Fairy Tail
Love practically everything about it.

4. Fruits Basket
This show got me back into anime this year. I haven't watched anime for years, and then on Netflix there was Fruits Basket and i heard of it. I fell in love in the first episode. I love Tohru!

5. Clannad/After Story
So sad but so funny. Never watched an anime so emotional. Which reminds me, i need to finish watching it.

6. Big Windup/Oofuri/Ookiku Furikabutte
First sports anime i really watched and loved it. I wish i could find the manga chapters after where the anime ends. Its one of the few animes with mostly boys that i actually really like, since they're all memorable. And I like Ren a lot

7. Pokemon
Along with Cardcaptors and Sailor Moon, this is what got me into anime and later jpop and Asian culture. I still watch it and love the new episodes.

8. Ah My Goddess!
I was surprised i like this one as much as I do. Could have used a little more action but otherwise i loved it.

9. Ouran High
Around the same time this year i got into Fruits Basket i got into Ouran high. I liked the characters a lot and think the show is super funny.

10. Bleach
I didn't watch the show for years but got back into it this year. Its interesting enough for me to hold my interest and make me laugh. The amount of action in it more than makes up for the other 9 on the list.

There are others i like lots like Uraboku and R.O.D and Digimon, but those are the main ones.

Since my favorite characters are ppl like Sailor Moon, Sakura, Ren Mihashi, and Tohru, i guess i kinda like the naive, innocent types. Anyone have any recommendations based off of that?
sergel02 is offline   Reply With Quote