AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2006-01-30, 19:24   Link #21
sanghyun1990
상현

PROVIDENCE means god or something like that, so it is saying Rau will be the god that kills all human.
Gaia is from Greek myth, the mother earth
I don't get Aegis, it means shield and how hell Aegis have anything to do with shield?
sanghyun1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-30, 19:52   Link #22
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Providence implies preparation, foresight, prudent leadership and divine direction; quite the fitting name for a MS meant to oversee things like Freedom and Justice.

Just a thought, but could the Tallgeese be a poor reference to the Charites? It can be gathered from the manga and TV series that there were at least three Tallgeese MS constructed (Wufei's wife's, Tallgeese I and III - II was built from the spare parts of I so I'm not counting it) which corresponds to the three of goddesses (Aglaia, Euphrosyne and Thalia) which rode a chariot pulled by white geese. Maybe I'm just reaching?
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-30, 23:56   Link #23
Eidolon Sniper
Tsubasa No Kami
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Eidolon Sniper
Aegis is the famous mystical shield of Athena (I think it was more of an enchanted breastplate).

Providence means something related to divinity, to God.

Dominion also has some holy meaning, the kingdom of God (or something like that...>.>;; ).

Ethereal Exiled Queen. NATCH~~~!!!
Eidolon Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-31, 00:15   Link #24
Commander 598
Zeonic

Send a message via AIM to Commander 598
Now your just overthinking.

ae·gis also e·gis

1. Protection
2. Sponsorship; patronage
3. Guidance, direction, or control
4. Greek Mythology. The goatskin shield or breastplate of Zeus or Athena.

Something interesting, but doubtful:

Aegis

<operating system> A Unix variant that was used on Apollo
workstations before Apollo was bought by Hewlett Packard.
AEGIS has some advantages over standard BSD or System V
Unix. It includes faster file access and a richer command
set; there are commands to find out which process is running
on a particular node, which process is locking a particular
file, etc.

(1997-02-25)

Dominion is likely just a cool ship name.

I recall somewhere, that Dom was the name of some politician(Likely famous) somewhere...
Commander 598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-31, 04:35   Link #25
WarpObscura
Bibliophile

Aegis is also the name of an American missile-defence system.

"Dominion" is a rank of angels in Judeo-Christian theology, same with "Archangel".
WarpObscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-31, 06:18   Link #26
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Theres also Epyon which is Greek for 'Next' as Treize believed that combat would advance to a certain point and then collapse back into duels between 1 or 2 people. Therefore he wanted to create the ultimate dueling MS.

Gundam Belphagor is a reference to a demon who was the arch enemy of the 6th Sephiroth 'Beauty'.

I honestly think most of the names are just to sound cool.......very few MS actually pack real meanings according to their story.
Sety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-31, 08:26   Link #27
phaerax

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness
[...]

Gundam PHYSALIS, DENDROBIUM and ZEPHYRANTHES (???????????????????)

[...]
If you translate these three directly from Greek without taking into account plant names (I m no biologist, I believe what was said later) they sound quite funny and un-gundam-y:
Physalis: bubble (Gundams too need a hot bath from time to time)
Dendrobium: tree-living (try to imagine this, LOL! Tarzan Gundam or something)
Zephyranthes: wind-blooming (its the kingdom of Windbloom, hurray!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sety
Theres also Epyon which is Greek for 'Next' as Treize believed that combat would advance to a certain point and then collapse back into duels between 1 or 2 people. Therefore he wanted to create the ultimate dueling MS.

[...]
Epyon surely looks Greek though i m not aware of such a word. No, wait... In ancient Greek there was the word "epon" which nowadays has become "epomeno". I guess Epyon is as close as you can get to Epon using Katakana.
phaerax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-31, 11:10   Link #28
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaerax
Epyon surely looks Greek though i m not aware of such a word. No, wait... In ancient Greek there was the word "epon" which nowadays has become "epomeno". I guess Epyon is as close as you can get to Epon using Katakana.
Highly likely as you said, Katakana always gives way to some very odd translations......which is all too common in Gundam series.
Old 2006-01-31, 19:26   Link #29
Zero system

I think that the origin of the name Tallgeese is because it was juged too tall (wich means also too expensive) to be mass produced, so it was nicknamed Tallgeese

In my oppinion, it was not given an "official" name until Zechs ordered it to be completed, it only had its nickname before that.
Zero system is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-31, 20:51   Link #30
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eidolon Sniper
Providence means something related to divinity, to God.
Providence:
  1. Care or preparation in advance; foresight.
  2. Prudent management; economy.
  3. The care, guardianship, and control exercised by a deity; divine direction: “Some sought the key to history in the working of divine providence” (William Ebenstein).
Quote:
Dominion also has some holy meaning, the kingdom of God (or something like that...>.>;; ).
The word dominion has nothing to do with God. It roots from an Old Latin word, dominium, meaning property and it varients refer to domination over property, for the eight hundred years the word has been in the English language it has always refered to the 'exercise of control' or sovereignty.

You are most likely thinking of the donimations Christianity, the fourth of the nine orders of angels in medieval angelology. It can also be called the fourth dominion of God. >.>

Not every word explicitly means or references God.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-01, 10:31   Link #31
Eidolon Sniper
Tsubasa No Kami
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Eidolon Sniper
I wasn't saying that it is God entirely...I said "something related" which means I'm not sure about the thing...>.>;;

But

Dominion = could mean land or kingdom that is ruled over by someone. We have "dominion of God". So the dominion in this case is the "kingdom of God".

Dominion and Archangel as what Warp said.

EA has some divine sounding names in Dominion and Archangel.

Aegis

Belphagor

Belphagor is a Demon of ingenius discoveries and wealth. He bestows wealth on those he likes.

Belphagor has blonde Hair, and a muscular build. He usually leaves one with a warm glow after meeting him. He has white wings and very piercing eyes.

Ethereal Exiled Queen. NATCH~~~!!!
Eidolon Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-01, 11:31   Link #32
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpObscura
^Actually, it be fo' true.

Straight from GundamOfficial. About as official as we can get, eh.

Anyone have any idea why Char never renamed the Sazabi? Perhaps to Sada/eikun?
Would you rather have it be called the Saznable?

And then maybe Athrun will get a Sazala while we're at it...
Demongod86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-01, 12:29   Link #33
artquest7@

Some of the names have a lot to do with the character who pilots the gundam and other times names are chosen arbitrarily. There seems to be no pattern, rhyme or reason to it. Im not entirely sure but it seems like they just look at other languages such as greek, latin, aramaic, german or mythology and slap a name on the gundam. An example of arbitrary naming is Providence. It carries the meaning of a christian God providing for his people, and we know that neither the leaders of ZAFT or raw believed in God. So this name doesn't seem to reflect anything about the pilot or its creators. Most likely it was chosen because it sounds cool. To bad the mobile suit looks like crap.

In stark opposition to this, names like Freedom, justice and impulse reflect that kira fights for freedom, athrun fights for justice and shinn fights on impulse. Another interesting thing was that while athrun had the Aegis (meaning shield) he was always protecting/shielding kira from the rest of his squad(well until ep 30).

In conclusion it seems there is no pattern to choosing a name as long as it sounds good or fits a character it gets slapped on. Sometimes with a deeper meaning but most likely without.
artquest7@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-01, 14:19   Link #34
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

^I'm inclined to believe pretty much all you just said...Really good point about AEGIS...I have no probs with arbitrarily assigning names that sound cool, as long as they do sound cool...In any event, good post...
Old 2006-02-04, 10:00   Link #35
servitude

What does Wing Zero stand for? A Gundam with no wings? Or wings shaped like zero.

I guess the only GUndams that may have names that matches the suit is in G-Gundam. The others are as much codenames and to signify representation while some are just pure crap like Windam.

But honestly, the only MS to have consistent names are Zaku, Gouf and Doms. They seem to appear in almost every Gundam series except G, even in Turn A although called differently. What more the designs are the same.. And 3 seems to be a magic number for special moves. You have the 3 flying Neo-Zeon thing doing their variation against ZZ in space, you have that absolutely rip off Jet Stream Attack in SEED which I might add is copied from MSG.

BTW, to prove if Kira is newtype, see if he can break that attack which apparently is unbeatable. Amuro did it because he knew how the move works based on his newtype abilities.
servitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-04, 12:21   Link #36
Wolfslord

Send a message via ICQ to Wolfslord
I too thought "Tallgeese" is refering to the size of the suit. As far as I remember it was quite huge and "geese" stands for a white bird and the suit is white too.
Wolfslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-04, 15:09   Link #37
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by servitude
What does Wing Zero stand for? A Gundam with no wings? Or wings shaped like zero.
Because it was a prototype.....Zero indicating it was a base for Wing Gundam's design.
Old 2006-02-04, 23:19   Link #38
flamingtroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness
^I'm inclined to believe pretty much all you just said...Really good point about AEGIS...I have no probs with arbitrarily assigning names that sound cool, as long as they do sound cool...In any event, good post...

I think the first 5 SEED gundams actually are more named for their designed role. Aegis was supposed to be a commander suit, so Aegis is an approriate name. Same for Duel Buster and Blitz i would think.

Quote:
PMX units - Messala is a character in Shakespeare's Julius Caesar and Asterisk (WTF?)... Pallace/Pallas Athene seems to refer to Athena... Bolinoak
Methuss - No findable non-Gundam references on my end...
I remember somewhere that The-O is supposed to be "Theo" which means god. And the name is also a play on the japanese word "Oji" in Ojiisan, which means old man (The-O is pronouned Ji o in katakana).

Methuss 's kana is "metasu" which leads me to believe it was meant to be "Metas". Since Methuss was the first transformable MS made by AE, I think it seems to be an appropriate name
flamingtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-05, 10:53   Link #39
knightsljx

Zephyranthes: Genus of about 70 species of lily
Physalis: Genus of plants in the nightshade family, Solanaceae
Dendrobium: Genus of tropical orchids
Gerbera: Genus of ornamental plants from the sunflower family
knightsljx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-05, 14:01   Link #40
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingtroll
I think the first 5 SEED gundams actually are more named for their designed role. Aegis was supposed to be a commander suit, so Aegis is an approriate name. Same for Duel Buster and Blitz i would think.
Blitz was a stealth MS for infiltrating bases, Duel was actually the prototype for the 5 Gundams and therefore was only really suited for 1vs1 melee fights, Buster is long ranged support and Aegis was a capture MS and also a Battleship destroyer.