AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2014-01-12, 22:39   Link #1061
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

I wonder how much profit arpeggio make. isnt that CG anime is cheaper than 2D anime?
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-08, 11:09   Link #1062
Birdway
Banned

Strike the blood sales:

Volume 2
Blu-ray - 4,348
DVD - 1,002

Total 5,350 copies on its first week.
Birdway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-07, 13:24   Link #1063
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
I've been looking at the amazon BD/DVD pre-order rankings for today, and I've been wondering, how exactly do all these number correlate to each other? For example how can one BD release have higher points then another, but a lower ranking? What exactly do the points mean or stand for and how are they calculated? How do these numbers correlate to actual number of BD's/DVD's being ordered? A ranking example below.

***,123位/***,144位 ★ (**2,647 pt) [*,*17予約] 2014/09/17 Free! -Eternal Summer- [BD]
***,131位/***,121位 ★ (**1,792 pt) [*,*84予約] 2014/09/24 Aldnoah.Zero[BD]
***,221位/***,201位 ★ (***,982 pt) [*,*25予約] 2014/09/26 Tokyo Ghoul[BD]
***,287位/***,260位 ○ (**1,837 pt) [*,**2予約] 2014/09/17 Free! -Eternal Summer- [DVD]
***,296位/***,342位 ★ (**1,019 pt) [*,**1予約] 2014/08/27 Black Butler - Book of circus[DVD]
***,334位/***,307位 ★ (**1,028 pt) [*,**4予約] 2014/08/27 Bakumatsu Rock[BD]
Cloudedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-07, 13:53   Link #1064
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
I've been looking at the amazon BD/DVD pre-order rankings for today, and I've been wondering, how exactly do all these number correlate to each other? For example how can one BD release have higher points then another, but a lower ranking? What exactly do the points mean or stand for and how are they calculated? How do these numbers correlate to actual number of BD's/DVD's being ordered?
The best explanation you'll find is probably here in Section 4.

The short answer is that they don't actually know how many sales are occurring. They're just using the sales rankings on Amazon to estimate sales based on past trends. For example, if something is the top-selling DVD/BD on Amazon for a whole day, you know that's a whole lot of sales (because Amazon sells a whole lot of stuff). If something is only like the 1000th ranking... that's not so great. The points are an estimate of accumulated orders based on ranking over time. They use Amazon as representative of the larger market because it gives good data, even though obviously not everyone will buy their DVDs/BDs on Amazon, so there can be some cases where the Amazon estimates suggest one thing but actual sales are quite different because either more or less customers bought from Amazon vs. other stores in Japan.
Old 2014-08-07, 14:28   Link #1065
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
The points are an estimate of accumulated orders based on ranking over time.
Is it "1 point = 1 (presumed) sale" or is it more complicated than that? I get your other points, and they're well-stated and reflect the impression I've already had, but I've never quite understood how the points work exactly.
Old 2014-08-07, 16:16   Link #1066
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
The best explanation you'll find is probably here in Section 4.

The short answer is that they don't actually know how many sales are occurring. They're just using the sales rankings on Amazon to estimate sales based on past trends. For example, if something is the top-selling DVD/BD on Amazon for a whole day, you know that's a whole lot of sales (because Amazon sells a whole lot of stuff). If something is only like the 1000th ranking... that's not so great. The points are an estimate of accumulated orders based on ranking over time. They use Amazon as representative of the larger market because it gives good data, even though obviously not everyone will buy their DVDs/BDs on Amazon, so there can be some cases where the Amazon estimates suggest one thing but actual sales are quite different because either more or less customers bought from Amazon vs. other stores in Japan.
Thanks for the explanation, and link. There's a lot to take it, but it's interesting to read.
Cloudedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-07, 17:25   Link #1067
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Is it "1 point = 1 (presumed) sale" or is it more complicated than that? I get your other points, and they're well-stated and reflect the impression I've already had, but I've never quite understood how the points work exactly.
Yeah, rank over time gives points, and points are like estimated sales so far. They can also give an estimate of the final point tally, but this is extremely subject to swings and variation (since it can only assume that past performance will continue as-is until the end, which rarely happens). In the end, calling it "points" helps people remember that these are only predictive algorithms (based on one single store, even if it's a big one), and no actual sales are known until the Oricon releases numbers after the fact (and even then, Oricon doesn't catch absolutely everything either).
Old 2015-01-09, 02:21   Link #1068
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Can someone clarify something I just looked up because it doesn't seem right...

The data I'm reading is suggesting that Kantai Collection preorders are already ahead of Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works pre-orders.
Old 2015-01-09, 02:25   Link #1069
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Can someone clarify something I just looked up because it doesn't seem right...

The data I'm reading is suggesting that Kantai Collection preorders are already ahead of Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works pre-orders.
It's actually not impossible that it may turn out that way, but it's too early to judge. Give it a month or two to see whether Kantai Collection pre-orders sustain themselves. First week or two is way too early to make predictions.

Keep in mind that Stalker Points are not counting actual pre-orders, they're aggregating Amazon pre-order rankings over time. So it's very subjective and subject to change and adjustment. People who try to read the tea leaves this early in the season are fooling themselves.
Old 2015-06-23, 13:08   Link #1070
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

I'm so happy for Blood Blockade Battlefront earning 16k in its first volume. It really didn't seem like the type to earn that much. Euphonium earned a decent 6k too, which seemed unlikely in the first episodes (go Episode 8)
Old 2015-06-24, 19:43   Link #1071
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Almost 17k actually. And it's just a first week.

BTW. Does anyone know what's the deal with Nanoha ViVId BDs? They haven't announced any yet but what's the reason? I really doubt they just decided not to make any cause all the previous installments had sales from decent to extremely good
Nachtwandler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-25, 03:27   Link #1072
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
BTW. Does anyone know what's the deal with Nanoha ViVId BDs? They haven't announced any yet but what's the reason? I really doubt they just decided not to make any cause all the previous installments had sales from decent to extremely good
No news yet, which is definitely odd. There'll be a special broadcast on the 26th since there is no 13th episode, so I guess there's a small chance they might finally announce it then... but I have to imagine there was some sort of legal or production issue that held them back. There are also signs that it will be split-cour, so maybe they're planning to do something special, or who knows...
Old 2015-06-25, 16:57   Link #1073
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I'd like to point out that the sales for the most recent Space Battleship Yamato 2199 movie (Hoshi Meguru Hakobune) are only partly correct on the main list. It does not include the Limited First Edition sales which Oricon listed as 17,983 for the first week.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...y-25-31/.88821

And the movie is listed with the top seller of the year so far: #26 with 35,681 (in 11 days by the time of the report).
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...le-2015/.89373

The First Limited Edition stops being on the top charts this last week while the regular version has remained on it.
The last listing of it has it at 19,344 by itself
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...an-2015/.89375

Last edited by Ithekro; 2015-06-25 at 17:08.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-26, 15:27   Link #1074
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

So not entirely related, but is there any words regarding whether foreign site like Crunchy Roll assist in sale/ provide extra profits for a series in anyway?

Like whether a popular series for Western audience will provide some decent profit to break through the Manabi Line. Or something like that?
Old 2015-06-28, 07:44   Link #1075
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
So not entirely related, but is there any words regarding whether foreign site like Crunchy Roll assist in sale/ provide extra profits for a series in anyway?

Like whether a popular series for Western audience will provide some decent profit to break through the Manabi Line. Or something like that?
Are you asking about the monies the production committees earn from streaming licensing fees? Or are you asking whether exposure on services like Crunchyroll encourage DVD/BD sales of the programs carried? I think there is some evidence for the latter given Sentai's rather close relationship with Crunchyroll. I believe Sentai actually chose to produce disc releases of some show based on their streaming performance.

As for the revenues themselves, that's harder to say. If we take Crunchyroll at its word, their claimed 400,000 subscribers should generate about $2.5 million per month. If we generously assume they pass back $1 million of that back to license holders, that's not a trivial amount, but it is spread across a lot of shows. I doubt Toei or Cinedigm earn much from CR's carriage of Mononoke; Madhouse might have seen better returns on Parasyte.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-29, 21:32   Link #1076
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Does anyone know about the particular Soundscan the Japanese are now anticipating for the "actual" sales figures since Oricon rankings are considered untrustworthy? Google takes me to Nielsen's site, but that's based in US.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-29, 21:57   Link #1077
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Does anyone know about the particular Soundscan the Japanese are now anticipating for the "actual" sales figures since Oricon rankings are considered untrustworthy? Google takes me to Nielsen's site, but that's based in US.
When I looked through this link you provided earlier, on the Charlotte series thread, I originally just looked at the sales numbers there. Only now did I scroll down to read the commentary on the numbers. So may I ask what the heck is going on here? It certainly sounds pretty dramatic.

I haven't delved deeply into anime BD/DVD sales reports in awhile, so I'm wondering what's going on here. From what I can gather, recent sales rankings/projections ended up being drastically off from actual concrete sales figures once they were released, on an almost across-the-board basis (not just one lone show). And that this ties into an overestimation of the importance of Amazon figures alone? Is that what is going on here, or is it something else?

In any event, I'd really appreciate it if you or someone else could walk me through this.
Old 2015-09-29, 22:07   Link #1078
IceHism

Quote:
Nielsen is the correct site

Oricon isn't untrustworthy just cause amazon f'ed up
Soundscan covers some stores that oricon doesn't but oricon covers far more stores than soundscan does.

As someone who uses soundscan for music, its only real advantage is that it splits the product into different versions but this is probably not important for anime.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-29, 22:09   Link #1079
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Someanithing is blaming Oricon for the inconsistencies, as well as Amazon for making things complicated since they have their own editions of many anime releases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by something at someanithing
The theory I think sounds most plausible right now is that, for whatever reason, Amazon sales are missing for series released on 9/25-26. The three tiles released on 9/23 that made the dailies seem to be perfectly fine: Charlotte, Nantai, and Kimiuso all have sales that either seem totally reasonable (Charlotte being storefront heavy and/or moving a lot of units after release day isn’t too shocking) or that are directly in line with previous volumes (Nanatai and Kimiuso didn’t have unrealistic drops).

Meanwhile everything from 9/25-26 was beaten bloody. Dermeas, TLRD2, Overlord, Kinmosa, Gakkou Gurashi, Illya, Kuroko, Seraph, Koufuku, and so on. In some cases sales seem in the realm of sanity, but that’s for low sellers where even a modest percentage drop is small in absolute terms and thus hard to evaluate (like, is Yuki-chan’s 1.8k > 1.4k drop natural or part of this issue? Could go either way).

One good, simple test to see determine if this is true would be if Deremas and/or Overlord rank higher than Charlotte on Soundscan’s rankings. If they do, then this hypothesis is almost certainly correct. While Oricon and Soundscan do differ, they don’t differ *enough* for Deremas or Overlord’s 4.xk to beat Charlotte’s 6.xk BDs purely due to normal differences between the trackers. It would have to be indicative of Oricon missing a significant portion of sales, and would line up with the 9/23 vs 9/25 idea.
Apparently, this happened with G-Reco.

By the way, Something has already posted links for Soundscan stats.

http://www.phileweb.com/ranking/dvd-top20/1679.html
http://www.phileweb.com/ranking/bd-top20/374.html

In the BD rankings, Uta no Prince Sama leads, Overlord is at #3, TLR Darkness is #9 and Charlotte is at #12.

For another source:

7,368 Overlord
6,612 iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls
4,534 Kuroko's Basketball
4,335 Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
4,219 TLR Darkness
3,664 Kiniro Mosaic
3,457 Code Geass Agito
3,353 Charlotte
3,122 Victory Gundam
2,174 Prisma Illya
2,132 Gakkou Gurashi
1,663 Arslan Senki
1,640 Nagato-chan

http://refugee-chan.mobi/test/read.c...1443570372/942
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-29, 22:29   Link #1080
IceHism

Quote:
Someanithing is blaming Oricon for the inconsistencies, as well as Amazon for making things complicated since they have their own editions of many anime releases.

Apparently, this happened with G-Reco.

By the way, Something has already posted links for Soundscan stats.

http://www.phileweb.com/ranking/dvd-top20/1679.html
http://www.phileweb.com/ranking/bd-top20/374.html

In the BD rankings, Uta no Prince Sama leads, Overlord is at #3, TLR Darkness is #9 and Charlotte is at #12.

For another source:

7,368 Overlord
6,612 iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls
4,534 Kuroko's Basketball
4,335 Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
4,219 TLR Darkness
3,664 Kiniro Mosaic
3,457 Code Geass Agito
3,353 Charlotte
3,122 Victory Gundam
2,174 Prisma Illya
2,132 Gakkou Gurashi
1,663 Arslan Senki
1,640 Nagato-chan

http://refugee-chan.mobi/test/read.c...1443570372/942
Charlotte sold on here because its sales were more storefront heavy.

You'll probably have to do some magic combining from both to get the total sales number
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sales, statistics