AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > True Tears

Notices

Old 2008-02-04, 06:47   Link #101
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Are you serious? You think that it is notably more expensive to do the authoring, pressing and packaging in Japan and then shipping to the USA than it is to do the same thing in the USA and add dubbing? The reason for the price point has nothing to do with expenses and everything to do with matching the Japanese prince to prevent reverse importing.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 22:59   Link #102
yupyupyup

Gotta say Bandai is rather quick in sniffing the attraction of this series. As the price you guys are talking about, no way in hell I'm gonna buy the US versions. The dubbing actors just suck big (Bleach, Negima, Rozen Maiden...)There are only a handful of series that I found the dubbed is superior to the original Jap anime (FMP, Inuyasha...). Just as someone posted in the 1st page, it's like trying to sell $10 for a gallon of fuel. Unless the fuel increases the mileage by three time (thus may offset the hassle of refueling), nobody is gonna buy.
yupyupyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 23:03   Link #103
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by yupyupyup View Post
The dubbing actors just suck big (Bleach, Negima, Rozen Maiden...)There are only a handful of series that I found the dubbed is superior to the original Jap anime (FMP, Inuyasha...).
That is irrelevant. Despite the price point, this show is not being dubbed. It is a sub-only release.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2008-02-06, 23:33   Link #104
yupyupyup

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
That is irrelevant. Despite the price point, this show is not being dubbed. It is a sub-only release.
Well, I just wanted to point out that US companies don't give enough effort to quality overall for the price they're trying to charge (tho I did not say anything like that in my previous post)
yupyupyup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-06, 23:36   Link #105
Nenkitsune

Send a message via AIM to Nenkitsune Send a message via Yahoo to Nenkitsune
Quote:
Are you serious? You think that it is notably more expensive to do the authoring, pressing and packaging in Japan and then shipping to the USA than it is to do the same thing in the USA and add dubbing? The reason for the price point has nothing to do with expenses and everything to do with matching the Japanese prince to prevent reverse importing.
good point! since it's a sub only release with the same number of episodes, if the price WERE lower, than people would just order them from the US and ignore the japanese market for them.

What i think would be pretty neat, is if they were EXACTLY the same as the Japanese versions, but coded for R1, with subtitles and obvious menu translations (meaning similar boxart/menu styling.

もいちど。。。
Nenkitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-07, 00:08   Link #106
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenkitsune View Post
What i think would be pretty neat, is if they were EXACTLY the same as the Japanese versions, but coded for R1, with subtitles and obvious menu translations (meaning similar boxart/menu styling.
Bandai Visual hasn't stated yet, but they may grant your wish.

Old 2008-02-07, 11:33   Link #107
nuaythebest

Quote:
Originally Posted by yupyupyup View Post
Well, I just wanted to point out that US companies don't give enough effort to quality overall for the price they're trying to charge (tho I did not say anything like that in my previous post)
Then why don't you just watch the dvd with Japanese track? Most R1 dvd are contain both Japanese and English track anyway.

Quote:
I think it would be the same, except that there is no first print bonus like what they have in Japan.
nuaythebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-11, 12:59   Link #108
nikorai

Send a message via ICQ to nikorai
So it figures now. I was away from the forum for some time and missed the info about this anime being licensed. I guess I'll have to stick to the raws as I did with galaxy angel rune. amazon.com doesnt send dvds to russia anyway.

personal page at nikorai1.narod.ru
nikorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-12, 17:36   Link #109
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuaythebest View Post
I think it would be the same, except that there is no first print bonus like what they have in Japan.
So far, from what I can tell, I don't see anything in particular listed as a first print bonus for this anime. So it may very well be that the R1 release is a near-exact replica of the R2 release. We'll see...
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-17, 15:58   Link #110
todkapuz
Seiza + Katana = Ai-daiyo

Hm.. interesting to see this rate structure in the US... but, as many other people have said, it's baically the R2 structure here in the US ... and for the back importation it makes sense... as for me, I don't know.. I'm an odd ball... when there is a series I really like... I buy the R2 right away and then buy the R1 when it comes out in the US ... but that's if I really like it... like Tsukuyomi or PPD, etc... but when it comes to series that don't really move me in any way, I Don't know if I can justify R1 at R2 prices, much less R2s.

Lately, for me, my consumption of DVDs is down because I want to see HD media ... a lot of my favorite anime are now all produced in full HD... in amazing detail and quality... it just seems wrong to see it in SD (er well DVD is just slighlty above sd .. but anyhow). Besides, there is only ~1 year left of non-digital television (although that doesn't mean there won't be SD, but people will think that and move to HD).

It will be really interesting to see how these sell... I might buy Shigofumi ... i enjoy that series.. but thus so far nothing spectacular about True Tears to me.
todkapuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-03, 07:04   Link #111
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

It might have been already answered, But when are they released in USA? any specific date?

Well as far as the price goes, well its expensive, but still its definitly one of the animes that i want to have.

Quote:
No dubs? Well i dont really listen to the dubs, Usually now days most of the releases have jap/lang with eng/subs. However i do use the dub ( from time to time) as a frame of refrence when i dont undrestand something or want to get a better idea of it ( there is still a limit as how much subs can translate the meaning throughly). So that is definitly a bumer for me .
Old 2008-03-03, 11:29   Link #112
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemoon648 View Post
It might have been already answered, But when are they released in USA? any specific date?
Still subject to change of course, but the official site currently says May 27th.
Old 2008-03-03, 14:00   Link #113
JCMS

Wow that's really expensive. I'm gonna stick with the japanese fansubs, thanks
JCMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-03, 21:16   Link #114
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Still subject to change of course, but the official site currently says May 27th.
WOW my Hopes are now crushed. I thought the early license was to release early too. Isnt that supposed to be sub only too? I thought like in about a month at the very most. I mean if they have a release by may ( which is around 2 months after the end of the series) why even such high prices. And why even One epiosde per volume? are there limited item collections in there?

Well if it is dub included then thats another story. It would actually be considered as a fast release. but from the rumors in this thread, i read they were only subs.

P.S. Thanks for the date info .

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMS View Post
Wow that's really expensive. I'm gonna stick with the japanese fansubs, thanks
The prices will go down. Just wait for the box sets. The prices on Boxsets are actually preaty fair. Thats what i usually do ( excluding few anime such as Deathnote, Full metal panic and few more which i couldnt wait one second to buy them).
Old 2008-03-03, 21:44   Link #115
JCMS

But I'm not gonna watch them again, probably so.... I might get it if it's not that expensive.
JCMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-03, 22:52   Link #116
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemoon648 View Post
WOW my Hopes are now crushed. I thought the early license was to release early too. Isnt that supposed to be sub only too? I thought like in about a month at the very most. I mean if they have a release by may ( which is around 2 months after the end of the series) why even such high prices. And why even One epiosde per volume? are there limited item collections in there?
Heh -- well, even though it's sub only, this is about the fastest release we've ever seen compared to the Japanese DVDs (except for shows that were financed directly by American companies). Basically, it's just the time it takes for them to get the finalized Japanese DVD content, translate it, get it printed/produced, and shipped to the U.S. So yeah, I think you had pretty high expectations of turnaround...

In terms of the volume count, it'll be on 7 DVDs in all, just like the Japanese release. The first disc has one episode, and the rest have two each. As for why it's like that? Well, basically, because that's the way the Japanese DVDs are, and the reason it's coming out so quickly is that they're more-or-less appropriating the Japanese DVDs, translating them, and releasing them here with subtitles. The price is a similar logic -- it's priced more-or-less the same as the Japanese DVDs (about $5 cheaper/disc MSRP).

In terms of extras, it seems like the disc will include a short bonus animation, the textless opening, and a booklet. Sort of standard in terms of Bandai Visual Japan extras go at that price point. (Believe it or not, this is one of the cheaper Japanese pricepoints for a 1-cour show.)

In any case, as I probably said before, I'm looking forward to it because I was going to buy the Japanese DVDs anyway. The fact that this is a bit cheaper and with subtitles works out nicely for me.
Old 2008-03-03, 23:04   Link #117
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
In any case, as I probably said before, I'm looking forward to it because I was going to buy the Japanese DVDs anyway. The fact that this is a bit cheaper and with subtitles works out nicely for me.
While this might be a good deal for someone like you who often purchases R2 DVDs, it is very different for people like me who only purchase anime in R1. For me this means I have to spend about twice as much as I'd expect. Even though I don't mind the loss of a dub track, the price point seems unreasonable compared to everything else I might purchase. Most of us would simply have to hope that there will eventually be a thin pack with a more reasonable price tag.

Old 2008-03-04, 01:14   Link #118
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
While this might be a good deal for someone like you who often purchases R2 DVDs, it is very different for people like me who only purchase anime in R1. For me this means I have to spend about twice as much as I'd expect. Even though I don't mind the loss of a dub track, the price point seems unreasonable compared to everything else I might purchase. Most of us would simply have to hope that there will eventually be a thin pack with a more reasonable price tag.
Yup, I know. It's definitely a bit of "sticker shock" compared to what the R1 market is used to. The "is it really worth it" question is a pretty tough one when you compare it to what else is out there -- especially when you look at thinpaks and the like... Who even knows when we might get thinpacks in this case -- they don't see them in Japan for years and years...

I guess, in the end, it's about budget and priorities. If this pricing scheme were to become the norm, people would really only be able to afford their absolute favourites, as opposed to right now where you can almost buy entire series on a whim. That being said, even given how "cheap" it is in general at the moment, a lot of people are still saying it isn't cheap enough, and it still doesn't seem to be selling very well. So... who knows... it's complicated...
Old 2008-03-04, 01:38   Link #119
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Complicated indeed. I am very interested to see how Bandai Visual's experiment turns out. I can't wait to find out if they get sales. If they do get sales, this will have a big effect on how other anime producers decide to market their works in R1.

Old 2008-03-04, 06:40   Link #120
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
If they do get sales, this will have a big effect on how other anime producers decide to market their works in R1.
Which is why I'm really hoping people boycott (actively or passively) the release, since if this performs comparable to anime sold at current average MSRP, all our wallets are in a heap of trouble. Heck, I might even organize something myself...

I'm all about buying R1 DVD's, even when I have fansubs sitting on the hard drive, but this just feels like price-gouging to me.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote