AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Tales of...

Notices

Old 2004-11-23, 19:15   Link #61
oDin01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thungbard
does anyone know if this is licensed yet, cause if it's not, I'd like to suggest someone should seriously sub it, seeing it's only gonna air the first episode this thursday I think, I'm guessing it's not yet licensed
There is a reason why this thread is in the licensed forum. Geneon USA is in the end credits which from the past means it's 99.9% it's going to be licenced sooner or later.
oDin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-26, 11:24   Link #62
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Hey, did anyone get to see the first episode?
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-26, 18:59   Link #63
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07
Hey, did anyone get to see the first episode?
The first episode isn't out in Japan yet. I think it comes out sometime in December. The date is definitely somewhere on this thread.
Fighter Volk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-26, 19:16   Link #64
oDin01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter Volk
The first episode isn't out in Japan yet. I think it comes out sometime in December. The date is definitely somewhere on this thread.
First volume of the R2's came out yesterday.
oDin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-26, 19:34   Link #65
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Oh, excuse me then. I apologize.

In that case, I second Dark Chibi's question. I would love to see what people think.
Old 2004-11-27, 02:15   Link #66
Sairai_X

Wow, that OVA really, really, sucked.
And I liked the game too.

What a dissapointment.
Sairai_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-27, 09:49   Link #67
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Spoil it for us!
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-27, 11:21   Link #68
BluWacky
尻の竜

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07
Spoil it for us!
Okay... it's been a while since I played the game, and my Japanese is poor to non-existent, but here's how it goes as far as I could tell (it could all be complete bollocks, though - I definitely understood the first five minutes almost perfectly, but after that almost anything goes). If you've not played Phantasia, you won't understand anything I say here.

Spoiler:

The OVA is basically targetted at hardcore fans only, which is a shame given that the production values are really nice - great animation and music (I really like the OP, "Yume no Hate" by tomo, but can't find a release date for it anywhere unfortunately - maybe it's only coming on the special edition BGM disc with one of the posh collector's editions of the DVD) and some half decent voice-acting (Mint is a wuss, but Arche is suprisingly non-annoying thus far and the blokes are fine as usual).

The main problem is the god-awful plotting structure. ToP isn't exactly heavy on plot anyway, but we have no indication of who these characters are whatsoever, we're just plonked into their story completely unaided and very quickly thrown some stuff about Dhaos, their parents and then wheeeee sent into the future by a man we've never met before. As far as I could tell nothing got explained in the future either! Having played the game it all made a fair amount of sense and I was able to enjoy seeing it well animated, but I can't see this being at all successful in Region 1 where only a relative minority of people will have played the game in any shape or form.

Once I've seen subs I may revise my judgement, but I can see why Sairai_X didn't enjoy it. I have to admit I didn't mind it - it's certainly better than Star Ocean EX! - but it is a little disappointing.
BluWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-27, 12:58   Link #69
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

Thanks for the summary!

Spoiler:
Old 2004-11-27, 18:59   Link #70
Sairai_X

Actually, that's not what happened at all, really. (At least as I remember it, I toned out the last few minutes.)
But what's depressing is that the OVA is so stupid it doesn't really matter.

If you've played the game, you'll enjoy seeing your favoite characters and spells animated. (Maxwell makes an appearance, and he's particularly impressive.)
I'm currently working my way through the GBA version, so I enjoyed seeing the summons.

But it tries to cover about 10 hours of game in a half hour. If you haven't played the game you'll just be totally confused, and if you have you'll know everything that's happened and that's going to happen. The animation's not particularly impressive, the colors are dull and drab, the dialogue uninspired, and in an effort to simplify the plot it just makes it moronic.

I'd give this one a pass. I can't for the life of me imagine why Geneon liscenced it.
Old 2004-11-27, 19:03   Link #71
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Hmmm.... well on the other hand it opens an interesting possibility, since they covered one of the 2 main arcs iof the game in a single OVA, which will leave them space for developing an alternate universe in the story.... which could lead to some interesting development or to utter spoilering of the series

I for one would have prefered that they had done what they did for Tales of Ethernia... developing a parallel arc and not messing too much with the main story... after all 4 OVAS is way too little (tales of ethernia was 13 and they barely managed to cover anything...)

PS: I just want to see more of Suzu animated >.<
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-29, 16:09   Link #72
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

after the first episode, animated Suzu and Dhaos are practically the only thing I'm waiting for this OVA now... and anyone who has not played the game before WILL have no idea of what's going on. They need a full 26 episode series to tell the story properly.

All my favorite scenes from the game got cut out, and somehow they make Arche looks like a... 7-year-old? WTH is that? Why they do this to my favorite girl in the game? Also Cless doesn't shout out special attack names when fighting enemies

Anyway this OVA is definitely aimed at the most hardcore of the Tales fans, a lot of stuffs got simplified or just cut out... I'm not sure if it's a disappointment for me or not, because at least I get to see Dhaos animated (which is about the sole reason of my anticipation of this OVA ), however if only they can draw Arche better...
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-01, 09:35   Link #73
michiru

This OAV seems to have original story.
When Cless and Mint came to the past time,Arche and Klarth have already taken part in the Valhalla war. Cless is calling Arche "Arche-san".....
michiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-01, 13:05   Link #74
Tsu
Burorororou

Send a message via MSN to Tsu
I rather liked it myself. It was a bit confusing at first, but it didn't take me long to figure out that this wasn't going to be a retelling of the entire story, but rather that they fastforwarded to one of the most important events in the story. Actually, I'm kind of glad they did it this way. It's impossible to squeeze the entire story in a 4-episode OVA without skipping over a lot and making a lot of chronological comprimises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiru
This OAV seems to have original story.
When Cless and Mint came to the past time,Arche and Klarth have already taken part in the Valhalla war. Cless is calling Arche "Arche-san".....
Huh? It's been a while since I played the game, but... I'm pretty sure the battle at the Valhalla Plains did involve Cless and Mint.
Tsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-01, 13:45   Link #75
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

well yup, they fast-forwarded a lot and skip all those things from the going to the past and the battle at Valhalla.

they did change the way how Mint's mother died though...
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-02, 06:16   Link #76
Sairai_X

I don't think it's an original story so much as it is a cut version of the first story.

This show would rock so much if it were a 13 episode TV series... but 4 eps is just cutting too much.
Old 2004-12-03, 17:03   Link #77
ZGMF-X10A
Tsukiyomi -Moon Phase-

Send a message via MSN to ZGMF-X10A
the episode 1 was released on november 25.. i was wondering why it's in this section... is it because it's dvd or is it because it's licensed or both... just wondering...

oh ya about tales of phantasia.. it's base on the game.. so if you don't know anything about teh game i think you'll be lost... becasue they don't introduce the characters but they just start right away from where the bad guy is release and stuff... still cool...
ZGMF-X10A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-03, 17:34   Link #78
jpwong

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGMF-X10A
the episode 1 was released on november 25.. i was wondering why it's in this section... is it because it's dvd or is it because it's licensed or both... just wondering...
I think the reason was given on page 2 or 3. If you watched the raw, you'd see Geneon USA's name in both sets of credits making it highly likely that it will be shortly licensed (or potentially pre-licensed although not yet announced). That's the reason it's in this forum even though no official licensing has occured (to my knowledge).
jpwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-05, 22:34   Link #79
LastDuaL
Drunken Samurai

I think people are dissin on this way too much.

So the first episode starts well into the story? So what. Ever heard of Lodoss War? Berserk? Gungrave? For all we know the background might get fleshed out in the episodes to come.

I'm not saying ToP will be amazing or anything, but we've only seen one episode, and so far it's got some things going for it. The animation and sound are top notch (I love the art style), there was never a dull moment, and as someone who's played the game, I think the characters were represented just fine. If you haven't played the game AND you don't know any japanese, then I can understand that you might find this disjointed and confusing....but isn't that obvious!
LastDuaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-07, 21:26   Link #80
Raxtenko
Second Generation McJober

Send a message via MSN to Raxtenko
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastDuaL
I think people are dissin on this way too much.

So the first episode starts well into the story? So what. Ever heard of Lodoss War? Berserk? Gungrave? For all we know the background might get fleshed out in the episodes to come.

I'm not saying ToP will be amazing or anything, but we've only seen one episode, and so far it's got some things going for it. The animation and sound are top notch (I love the art style), there was never a dull moment, and as someone who's played the game, I think the characters were represented just fine. If you haven't played the game AND you don't know any japanese, then I can understand that you might find this disjointed and confusing....but isn't that obvious!
Yeah, totally agree it was good. Heck the one of the reasons I wanted to see this was to see Mint animated. Consider me sated.

Anywho, yeah it was pretty and all, and the music was good, but somehow, I was hoping that the original opening and ending themes from the PSX version would be retained. I just loved those songs, so much!

Anyone else think that Cless jumped a little too high? He's wearing half-plate armour and that cape of his has got to weigh like 15-20 pounds. Eh, maybe he's on some performance enhancers or something.

I just had another nitpick about his fight. How come he's not being splattered with blood? I know kids will probably be watching the OVA, but come on, it just trivializes death!

One more thing I just want to addd, I hope Cless switches his sowrd off for a nice ax, or the Gungnir. Swords are fine and all, but polearms>swords.
Raxtenko is offline   Reply With Quote