AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2014-12-23, 15:48   Link #1
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Darkest Dungeon [PC/PS4/PSV]

Darkest Dungeon is a hard-core RPG about the stresses of dungeon crawling. You will lead a band of four heroes on a perilous side-scrolling descent, dealing with a prodigious number of threats to their bodily health, and worse, a relentless assault on their mental fortitude! Five hundred feet below the earth you will not only fight unimaginable foes, but famine, disease, and the stress of the ever-encroaching dark. Darkest Dungeon focuses on the humanity and psychological vulnerability of the heroes and asks: What emotional toll does a life of adventure take?

Darkest Dungeon is not a game where every hero wins the day with shiny armor and a smile. It is a game about hard trade-offs, nearly certain demise, and heroic acts. Prepare to experience an RPG like nothing you have played before.

THE AFFLICTION SYSTEM—YOUR HEROES ARE HUMAN

Quote:
Be warned, characters in Darkest Dungeon are not the unwavering heroes of high fantasy. While they are certainly tough and capable fighters, they are also human, and respond emotionally to the horrors they encounter.
  1. Your Bard has seen one too many party members die in combat, and is prone to nihilistic rants, stressing the other party members! Do you send him carousing in town to blow off some steam, or consign him to the sanitarium to collect himself?
  2. Your Man-at-Arms has begun relying on the bottle as much as his battleaxe. His inebriated fury is a welcome damage boost for the party, but he has grown increasingly unpredictable and erratic. Do you bench him in town, or simply lash more liquor to his pack?
  3. At camp, your Plague Doctor's methods unnerve your Highwayman, and he refuses her treatments. Maybe you should rethink the idea of combining them in the same party again.
  4. A critical hit from a skeleton sends your Vestal reeling, and instills in her a crippling fear of the Undead. She can fight well enough against other foes, but if you expect her to keep her head through the Crypts, you'll first need to send her to the Cathedral to do some serious prayer and contemplation.

Characters' stress levels respond dynamically to virtually every occurrence in the dungeon, both positive and negative. Coming across a rotting corpse may unnerve your Highwayman, or may fuel your Crusader's determination. If the pressures of their circumstances become too overwhelming, their resolve is broken, and they will become afflicted with a myriad of psychological conditions ranging from paranoia, panic, greed, or even sadism . Afflicted party members will act out in a variety of ways that impact the play experience during combat, exploration, camping, and even in town. And like weary soldiers who have seen too much, your heroes will develop permanent quirks and emotional baggage based on their experiences.
Quote:
Stress is a central mechanic in Darkest Dungeon – everything your heroes see, do and have done to them affects their stress levels, both positively and negatively. Land a big crit? Everyone cheers up a bit. Watch a fellow adventurer get rabies from a feral dog bite? Not so cheery.

As an adventure goes on, heroes will get increasingly unnerved by what they’ve experienced. Once they hit their maximum stress capacity, they’ll roll an ‘Affliction Check’ – success enters them into a heroic state, inspiring allies, and bolstering their abilities. Much more likely however, they will fall victim to their stress and become branded with an Affliction – the moniker for a family of stress-driven behavior – such as Hopelessness or Masochism, Abusiveness, Irrationality, etc.

Afflicted characters are like loaded guns, you never know when they’ll go off! They will periodically ‘act out’, taking an action on their own imperative. A Masochist might advance in combat, eager to have their blood spilled, or they may refuse to be healed, fascinated with their own wounds. Conversely, watch for a Selfish character to retreat in a fight, use supplies unnecessarily, or even steal from the party’s gold!

Bottom line, as your heroes lose their grip, you as the player lose your grip on them! We think it’s an exciting, unpredictable element that challenges players to make the best of an imperfect situation. Can you succeed even when the party is fracturing?

Quote:
So you managed to survive your most recent quest? Maybe you brought back three of your four heroes – not bad at all! Trouble is, one is paranoid, the other is abusive, and the third is teetering on the edge of insanity. Sending this simpering lot back out into the wild would be a huge mistake. It’s time for some R&R.

The loot and family heirlooms you collect on quests are used to upgrade your home base – a small, squalid hamlet bordering a moor. Over time, you will restore and expand it, opening buildings like the Guild and Blacksmith, which allow hero upgrading. Most importantly, however, the town allows you to bench stressed-out heroes in a variety of stress reduction activities – drinking, gambling, praying, and flagellation, among others.

Quote:
When you return from your next quest, these heroes will be back to their old selves, and ready for action. True to the spirit of the game, however, their time in ‘treatment’ can affect them with a host of personality quirks – your Grave Robber may get banned from the Gambling Hall for cheating, meaning she can never return there. Conversely, your Crusader may go on a bender, refusing to leave the bar in time for the next expedition!

Unpredictability is a hallmark of the Darkest Dungeon experience, and how you cope with unforeseen events will be the measure of your success.

GROUNDBREAKING TURN-BASED COMBAT

Quote:
Tactical, strategic, and deceptively deep, combat in Darkest Dungeon combines nostalgia with the elegance of modern design. It will challenge you in fresh new ways. Party order is crucial for setting up attacks, but it can also expose your heroes to threats. At all times, you must juggle the need to do damage with the importance of protecting the health and minds of your party members. Train, upgrade, and adjust your loadout to find the right combination of skills, honing your party into a four-person monster-wrecking Special Forces team.
  • Invest in unique character skills, manage your loadout, and customize your party to your play style.
  • Learn and master tactical positioning and skill combos.
  • Battle a huge variety of enemies with challenging attacks and innovative mechanics.
  • Use your party as a single fighting unit - set up and unleash combos using multiple characters to devasting effect!
  • Face down intimidating bosses.
  • Get obliterated by intimidating bosses!

Now coming to Playstation as well! http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/...rkest-dungeon/

Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-24, 09:17   Link #2
SineMora
Wait for it...

One of the most well thought out rpgs... I've been waiting for the likes of these (veteran of all Close Combat series) maybe its time for me to trade out my guns and tanks for swords and daggers.

"Time is more gentle than anything. Even though the two of them will lose this once in a year opportunity to meet, that sadness will heal as time passes. However time is also more cruel than any other, even though the two lovers have pledged their love for all eternity, that pure emotion will fade away into dust in the flow of time. That one instant where their existence are recognized by each other are being constantly taken away by fate, just how long will the lover that resides in their heart exist till?" -Tokisaki Kurumi.
SineMora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-21, 01:24   Link #3
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Old 2015-01-21, 02:18   Link #4
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

This certainly has me very interested to give a check out.
Old 2015-01-23, 05:32   Link #5
AnimeFangirl

I'm impressed by the amount of thought that went into this, but I got depressed just reading the description. Which makes me wonder, will this be any fun to play at all?
Old 2015-01-23, 05:40   Link #6
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Yes, if you're a hardcore Dungeon diving fan. The satisfaction would come from overcoming tough fights and exploring messed up eldritch horror locations.

The only thing I'm wary about is the randomness of the status effects and how severe it would be. The harder your game is, the more consistent the rules must be.
Old 2015-01-23, 14:52   Link #7
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quite impressive for a small team to come up with this, I approve of this endeavour While it certainly looks rather daunting to challenge, I assume this will be the kind of game that is fun to just do over in varying formations - think Souls but with a new character after every death.

The release date is right around the corner too, with one week for backers and 11(?) days for the steam release...
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-31, 04:46   Link #8
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Old 2015-01-31, 17:03   Link #9
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

People have gotten their early access copy already.

Release date for Steam only is 3rd Feb. (EDIT: My bad, 3rd Feb is for Early Access, the proper release date is still months away)

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2015-02-01 at 17:59.
Old 2015-02-01, 02:02   Link #10
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

is there a option to sent one of your team mates to a whorehouse for stress relief?
Old 2015-02-01, 02:31   Link #11
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I think the developers would get more attention than necessary had they include it (EDIT: nvm, I watched the video, he did say brothel)

So far I've only heard of the Tavern and the Church.

Psychological damage at times are far more devastating than health damage.

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2015-02-01 at 02:42.
Old 2015-02-01, 15:12   Link #12
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
...and exploring messed up eldritch horror locations.
Even if you hadn't used that particular term, the fact of this game exploring the idea that adventurers might be afflicted in mind as well as in body does remind me of the Call of Cthulhu setting (which uses that as a key element). A few others play with this too, most notably:
  • Shadowrun;
  • Cyberpunk 2020 and its offshoots; and
  • XCOM
This particular game is, however, the first time I can recall seeing this concept added to a (low, apparently) fantasy setting.
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-01, 17:24   Link #13
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I would say it's a medieval fantasy setting yes.

There are definitely a lot of Lovecraft inspiration from what I could see, hell it's pretty obvious in the cinematic trailer and you have a character that summons a tentacle as an attack.
Old 2015-02-05, 11:05   Link #14
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Watching some streams, this game is very brutal... Just like that hog boss shown above. I watched someone fight just the same boss and lose 2 people. With the Hag going twice, and the pot chipping away very quickly. I don't know what the max level is, but he was currently level 3 or somewhere around.

Best comment though
"You're a POT! You can't dodge! You have 0% dodge how does that work!?"
Old 2015-02-05, 11:58   Link #15
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I believe the max level is 5, with the most difficult dungeons at 5 as well.

The main overall story of the game is to clear the big boss at the end of all 5 of the dungeon's hardest level.

Lol, demonic pot
Old 2015-02-05, 16:53   Link #16
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Best comment though
"You're a POT! You can't dodge! You have 0% dodge how does that work!?"
You're fighting a demonic pot. The least surprising thing should be its ability to dodge. I always find it funny how gamers can accept something utterly ridiculous but nitpick about a minor inconsistency. Human nature at work.
Old 2015-02-05, 18:42   Link #17
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

I really like this game, but damn the Stress mechanic seems to be a little bit overtuned. It seems to me you spend more time managing (or trying) stress than health.
Old 2015-02-05, 19:08   Link #18
DemonOfWrath

It gets a bit easier once you've actually done a run where your dudes all stress out early, as you realise it's inconvenient (you occasionally lose an attack with a stressed out guy) and you still want to prevent it, but it isn't too big a deal (guys saying stuff to stress out the others doesn't matter if they're already fully stressed out!). Works out well when they instead get a buff instead of a malady.
DemonOfWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-05, 19:44   Link #19
Newhope

It's ok but I wouldn't recommending anybody buys the game currently, the gameplay as it is now is just far too luck based.
Newhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-02-05, 21:43   Link #20
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Technically the game isn't out yet, just early access.

And speaking to other rogue like players, apparently this is how it should be- the mercy of the dice roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
I really like this game, but damn the Stress mechanic seems to be a little bit overtuned. It seems to me you spend more time managing (or trying) stress than health.
No that is intentional.