AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2018-11-17, 22:30   Link #101
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Actually, Masahiro just confirmed it. There's an article on Shoryuken that shows Masahiro assuring that Goku nor any other manga origin character will join. Now watch the people asking for Goku incread 100-fold like with what happen with Waluigi.
Old 2018-11-17, 22:57   Link #102
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Oh yeah, that 10+-year-old article.
Now don't get me wrong, I still believe that Sakurai still thinks the same way on that issue, but it was really funny watching all of those idiotic "news" sites rushing to bring the "big" news from "God" Sakurai and completely missing that the original source of that interview was from many years back.
And then I got to facepalm at the almost-equally idiotic people that spread the news as if he said it recently!

http://web.archive.org/web/200701160...ou/bn/no3.html

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-18, 00:19   Link #103
MAX_COLA_POWER!

It's the wait for the release^^;;. It's making everybody delirious for that sweet Smash goodness.
Old 2018-11-23, 21:36   Link #104
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

One of the funniest parts of watching the official tournament is watching the "serious" players that refuse to use items and then lose.

-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2018-11-23, 22:18   Link #105
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
One of the funniest parts of watching the official tournament is watching the "serious" players that refuse to use items and then lose.
It's kinda ironic that they managed to give it some stuff to make it more like a fighting game with HP mode, the Final Smash Super Meter, and Assist Trophies, and they basically decide not to play with any of that because it doesn't show the player's skills. So what do you call the games that do have life bars that go down, have assists, and super meters? Apparently to them, those kinds of games don't show skills now.
Old 2018-11-25, 03:07   Link #106
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Funny trivia note, for people who still want Goku in Smash, and those annoyed by this factor, the latter should show the former that, for the english version of the game, Lucario's VA is in fact Sean Schemmel, and since Lucario's final smash in Ultimate is both Mega Lucario and Aura Storm, simply say, there's your Super Saiyan Blue+Kamehameha finisher. Funny enough, the former can also say this to the latter while make the second shut up while the super is happening.
Old 2018-11-29, 23:53   Link #107
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Just wanted to note that according to Sakurai, the singer of the adventure mode song wasn't actually the person who did the Kirby anime's OP after all. It was someone else!
https://twitter.com/Sora_Sakurai/sta...32603891519488
Wow, 18 years old.

And he accidentally used the wrong Kanji for Hideki.
https://twitter.com/HidekiSakamoto/s...66986065436674

Old 2018-12-01, 18:54   Link #108
VDZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX_COLA_POWER! View Post
It's kinda ironic that they managed to give it some stuff to make it more like a fighting game with HP mode, the Final Smash Super Meter, and Assist Trophies, and they basically decide not to play with any of that because it doesn't show the player's skills. So what do you call the games that do have life bars that go down, have assists, and super meters? Apparently to them, those kinds of games don't show skills now.
Other fighting games with super meters have those meters and their resulting super attacks balanced for competitive play, while Smash's FS meter is complete bullshit. People wanted the FS meter to be tournament viable, but it's just not balanced for that.

Assist trophies are a non-argument; other than showing other characters they have nothing to do with assists in other fighting games. Assist trophies in Smash are entirely random - when they spawn, where they spawn, and what they end up being. This is completely unlike player-initiated assist attacks.

Stamina mode is not played at tournaments not because it's unrelated to skill or anything, but because it's so radically different from normal gameplay. There's nothing wrong with it from a competitive viewpoint, but it's just not the unique Super Smash Bros gameplay people play Smash for.

(By the way, Stamina mode has existed since Melee and Assist Trophies have existed since Brawl. Only the Final Smash Meter is new.)
VDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-01, 19:15   Link #109
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Stamina mode is actually brought to the table, not because it is "new" but because it is finally a standard mode, meaning that you CAN set stocks and/or time limit to it, instead of having only 1 life with unlimited time for this mode.

That said, they absolutely need to fix the smash meter FS if they want to be legal and I don't think Sakura intended it to be "competitive" but rather another alternative than the smash ball being way too RNG even for casual play.
I think meter FS should kill only around 70-80%. Any lower seems way too strong.
And some FS should be tweaked for other reasons, mainly Peach and Daisy's are way more absurd than FE characters', because even as meter FS, they are pretty much free stock you can activate once per stock, effectively doubling their life compared to any other character.
Old 2018-12-01, 22:15   Link #110
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDZ View Post
Other fighting games with super meters have those meters and their resulting super attacks balanced for competitive play, while Smash's FS meter is complete bullshit. People wanted the FS meter to be tournament viable, but it's just not balanced for that.
Can't tell which part you are referring to.

The cursing?
Yes, ugh my ears. Those people that say curse words like it is their oxygen.

The attack going through the stage?
That kinda goes with any attack that has a hitbox. Maybe... not charge like an idiot where you can get hit?

The quick kill?
Perhaps. But final smashes have already lost a good amount of variety due to the transformation ones changing into an instant. powerful attack. So I wouldn't want them to further straighten out the effects.
Ah yeah yeah, it's not faiiiir, it's not faiiir. Whatever reason they come up with to not use those in their *cough* "professional" tournaments.

Old 2018-12-01, 22:50   Link #111
Applehell

Just pre-ordered the game and brought a game-cube controller.

Only six more days left. Bring it on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
That said, they absolutely need to fix the smash meter FS if they want to be legal and I don't think Sakura intended it to be "competitive" but rather another alternative than the smash ball being way too RNG even for casual play.
I think meter FS should kill only around 70-80%. Any lower seems way too strong.
And some FS should be tweaked for other reasons, mainly Peach and Daisy's are way more absurd than FE characters', because even as meter FS, they are pretty much free stock you can activate once per stock, effectively doubling their life compared to any other character.
At this point I expect FS meter to be slotted into side events if we are even lucky to see ithem even get that.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-01, 23:34   Link #112
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Used the pad for WiiU, will probably use the normal Joy-Con for Switch
(And I just don't want to spend the money and space for the GC stuff)

Releases on Friday though, so I won't get to really play it until after work. Bleh.

Old 2018-12-02, 02:02   Link #113
MAX_COLA_POWER!

Anybody got their main 5 ready? Apparently that's a thing now in social media that you get to pick out your main 5 from this roster to go nuts over. I honestly have no idea who I'm picking but most likely I'm gonna be heading towards the power game strategy.
Old 2018-12-02, 07:50   Link #114
VDZ

Quote:
Can't tell which part you are referring to.

[...]

The attack going through the stage?
That kinda goes with any attack that has a hitbox. Maybe... not charge like an idiot where you can get hit?
Final smashes are unblockable (and in many cases even undodgeable even with perfect timing). Being near the edge of the stage while the opponent is off the stage is part of a core gameplay element called 'edgeguarding', preventing your opponent from recovering. If the entire edge of the stage becomes off-limits when an opponent is recovering and their FS meter is full, gameplay would become extremely campy and boring.

The 'being unblockable' thing deserves special mention. Supers in 'normal' fighting games are very rarely entirely unblockable and undodgeable. Furthermore, a successful dodge of the attack in other fighting games gives you a chance to punish your opponent, but in Smash you remain invulnerable during the FS; you cannot be punished for missing it in any way. It's far stronger than normal supers and carries none of the risk.

Quote:
The quick kill?
Perhaps. But final smashes have already lost a good amount of variety due to the transformation ones changing into an instant. powerful attack. So I wouldn't want them to further straighten out the effects.
Ah yeah yeah, it's not faiiiir, it's not faiiir. Whatever reason they come up with to not use those in their *cough* "professional" tournaments.
The Smash competitive community loves quick kills. Well-executed spikes or 0-to-death combos (except when done by Bayonetta, people hate Bayonetta) are considered impressive and good gameplay.

The real problem here is that Ike got a quick kill from a very disadvantageous position, without any setup, with no way to block, dodge or prevent it, by pressing a single button after getting sandbagged. Getting hit charges the FS meter too much (even more than hitting the opponent, I've heard) and in general the FS meter charges way too fast, apparently giving you one free FS per stock, which is insane. When people can get killed in such bullshit ways every single stock, it completely destroys the gameplay.
VDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-02, 14:37   Link #115
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Anybody got their main 5 ready? Apparently that's a thing now in social media that you get to pick out your main 5 from this roster to go nuts over. I honestly have no idea who I'm picking but most likely I'm gonna be heading towards the power game strategy.
That 5 mains thing is... meh. It's like saying you have 5 favorite things. The more "favorite" things you have, each one of those are individually less important.

My mains are Mr. Game and Watch and Ganondorf. I do use Donkey Kong, Mac, ROB at times, and if they are easier to use, I might also play with Palutena and Zelda sometimes.

Quote:
Final smashes are unblockable (and in many cases even undodgeable even with perfect timing). Being near the edge of the stage while the opponent is off the stage is part of a core gameplay element called 'edgeguarding', preventing your opponent from recovering. If the entire edge of the stage becomes off-limits when an opponent is recovering and their FS meter is full, gameplay would become extremely campy and boring.
*cut*
Uh-huh, whatever suits the people setting up the "legal" rules, right?
The stuff that are allowed are fair enough, the stuff not allowed are not fair enough. It's their tournaments, so as someone who has no interest in participating, do whatever they want.
People that watch "non-their-tournaments" and complain about those rules are... Hmm... Yeah. People that play in those tournaments, refuse to follow that tournament's rules, and lose are... Hmm, even more... Yeah.

Old 2018-12-02, 14:46   Link #116
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Competitive Smash makes Sakurai roll his eyes. as well as mine.
Old 2018-12-06, 00:05   Link #117
Applehell

Quote:
Used the pad for WiiU, will probably use the normal Joy-Con for Switch
(And I just don't want to spend the money and space for the GC stuff)

Releases on Friday though, so I won't get to really play it until after work. Bleh.
I took the opportunity to pick one up mainly to play with a friend of mine (he doesn't own a Switch) when I'm not online. Plus I heard Smash plays better with these controllers.

Quote:
Not 5, but I have 3: Cloud, Richter and Palutera.

Quote:

The 'being unblockable' thing deserves special mention. Supers in 'normal' fighting games are very rarely entirely unblockable and undodgeable. Furthermore, a successful dodge of the attack in other fighting games gives you a chance to punish your opponent, but in Smash you remain invulnerable during the FS; you cannot be punished for missing it in any way. It's far stronger than normal supers and carries none of the risk.

The Smash competitive community loves quick kills. Well-executed spikes or 0-to-death combos (except when done by Bayonetta, people hate Bayonetta) are considered impressive and good gameplay.

The real problem here is that Ike got a quick kill from a very disadvantageous position, without any setup, with no way to block, dodge or prevent it, by pressing a single button after getting sandbagged. Getting hit charges the FS meter too much (even more than hitting the opponent, I've heard) and in general the FS meter charges way too fast, apparently giving you one free FS per stock, which is insane. When people can get killed in such bullshit ways every single stock, it completely destroys the gameplay.
Okay this pretty hyperbolic. I watched two Nintendo Live tournaments that had them enabled and matches still more or less played out like a typical Smash battles. The gauge didn't increase nearly fast enough for FS to become centralizing and often by the time they became available for you use your pretty much in kill %. On average FS appeared 3-4 times in total between all players. Also most can't kill you until about 70-80% which is hardly game killing. Edgeplay was still very common for that matter.

Now the really problem with FS is that some waaay too good and others kind of worthless. There is a little too much of disparity.

That said when I play online I will definitely have it on my ruleset. I don't care that much about competitive Smash nowadays.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-06, 20:21   Link #118
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

It took me around 6-7 hours to unlock every character and I must say it was really tedious because of the requirements. Tip: instead of restarting the game app to bypass the 10min timer, just change the language. It is actually a bit faster than closing and relaunching smash.

Also, as I expected World of Light is more like event matches on a world map, but I don't get why it is so limited as the spirit board thing is practically the same thing. Meanwhile, I wish the spirits had lore description for the characters. Also, type of rules not strictly defined is a bad idea. Right now, you can encounter FFA matches even when you picked 1on1. Hopefully this will be fixed with more players online.

That said, the game feels really good so far, and the very few minor issues I have and the other missing stuff (like homerun contest) don't really pose much of a problem.
Old 2018-12-06, 20:28   Link #119
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
It took me around 6-7 hours to unlock every character and I must say it was really tedious because of the requirements. Tip: instead of restarting the game app to bypass the 10min timer, just change the language. It is actually a bit faster than closing and relaunching smash.

Also, as I expected World of Light is more like event matches on a world map, but I don't get why it is so limited as the spirit board thing is practically the same thing. Meanwhile, I wish the spirits had lore description for the characters. Also, type of rules not strictly defined is a bad idea. Right now, you can encounter FFA matches even when you picked 1on1. Hopefully this will be fixed with more players online.

That said, the game feels really good so far, and the very few minor issues I have and the other missing stuff (like homerun contest) don't really pose much of a problem.
Changing the language bypasses the timer too?
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-12-06, 20:29   Link #120
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Changing the language force the app to restart. The thing is that it loads a bit faster than closing and reopening the app.
And speaking of the language option, I'm still baffled why the voices and text are tied together. For people who are used to JP Marth, they must keep their game in Japanese.