AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Suisei no Gargantia

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-04-24, 10:15   Link #1
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Suisei no Gargantia - Voice Actor Appreciation & Discussion

The purpose of this thread is to discuss, critique and idolize the Voice Actor cast of Suisei no Gargantia. Please remember that the discussion should center on their performances as professional voice actors and not on the show content (which can be discussed in the various Episode threads). Please remember this simple rule when critiquing a VA's performance or reading another forum member's critique:
  • Don't take it personally.
    In other words, you’re free to disagree with another person’s opinion, but don’t flame them if they offer a well written and well thought out analysis that differs from your own opinion. Keep it civil.

• Voice Actors are human.
    Yes, it’s true. They’re human. Therefore, don’t just indiscriminately rip them and their work apart as if they’re inorganic objects. You don’t have to praise them non-stop, but be thoughtful in your criticism.
This thread might duplicate some discussion in the Episode threads, but it can also serve to demystify various VA roles, disseminate VA information (VA Bios, VA photos, etc) and provide cast information of various types as well as discussion about performances.
Old 2013-04-25, 12:16   Link #2
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

Well, so far the cast is doing very well IMHO. One thing I'd like to know that I can't find anywhere is, who plays the squirrel? I'm guessing Hisako, but I haven't seen any confirmation.

Shizuka Ito seems to be a common choice for Urobuchi productions. We remember she was in Psycho-Pass, and she was also in Blassreiter. Hisako Kanemoto was in one of the Fate/Zero side stories.
Old 2013-04-25, 13:23   Link #3
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjay729 View Post
Well, so far the cast is doing very well IMHO. One thing I'd like to know that I can't find anywhere is, who plays the squirrel? I'm guessing Hisako, but I haven't seen any confirmation.
The squirrel is played by Kayano Ai, who also voices Saya in this series (we've seen her briefly in episode 2).

http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl...r&charid=54909
Old 2013-05-07, 08:57   Link #4
zztop

Re ep 4: I keep imagining the transvestites voiced by British comedians Matt Lucas and David Walliams in the style of BBC’s Little Britain rubbish tranny characters,Emily and Florence:

‘You MUST work with us,spaceboy, since you have male strength, and we are but weak, feeble ladies!Who like doing ladies things!…and sh*t.’

Here's a clip of the 'ladies' at work, guest starring pop singer Robbie Williams:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ8e6UVpLNg

(PS. Little Britain was a sketch comedy show, where the 2 main actors played a variety of eccentric characters.)
Old 2013-05-07, 21:11   Link #5
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

People who visit this thread probably don't need it, but just in case, here is my characters/seiyuus page for this show, with pics of the characters and their seiyuus, and a bit of info about each seiyuu.

I think Kaji Yuuki is doing a nice job here, and Sugita is giving us a fine Sugita, but Kanemoto Hisako is doing wonderfully well. This is the best I've ever liked her work, even better than as Kotoura-san.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2013-05-07, 23:12   Link #6
Kakkou
Tch.

Ishikawa's doing a fine job as Ledo and making him moe yet sexy, though I seem to keep hearing him as Nobunaga Shimazaki, so he hasn't really stood out to me. Thankfully his Manatsu in RDG doesn't sound like Shimazaki, so I look forward to hearing more of what he can do.

Sugita is Sugita.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I think Kaji Yuuki is doing a nice job here
How'd you get Kaito Ishikawa right in your page but type Kaji's name here?

Last edited by Kakkou; 2013-05-07 at 23:23.
Old 2013-05-08, 23:02   Link #7
zztop

Do you suppose an English dub of Gargantia will ever be produced?

If they did, one idea I have is that they could dub it so that Gargantian residents speak(their English) in a myriad of accents and tones to reflect the racial/social diversity present aboard the vessel.
ie. A has a South African accent, B has a Filipino accent, etc.

Alliance people like Ledo would speak(their English) in the same, uniform manner and tone, like a BBC-meets-Spock formal, military English that reflects the conformity and rigidity of Alliance culture.

What does everyone think?
Old 2013-05-09, 08:39   Link #8
LKK

^^ I don't think that's a good idea. This series is set in the far future. Far enough in the future that neither side is really speaking Japanese (or English as would be the case of a US dub). The Japanese language is there solely for the viewer, not to represent the Gargantians or Ledo & Chamber. By this time in the far future, all traces of current Earth accents would have melted together and become something new. To maintain obviously current Earth accents would be sending the wrong subliminal message about how much time has passed. I would rather hear only Ledo speaking stilted English as he's learning the Gargantian language similar to how the Japanese seiyuu is doing now.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2013-05-09, 09:48   Link #9
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I agree with LKK. We can pretty much assume that humanity was reduced to a few thousands of individuals that most likely had to live in a confined space during the glaciation.

Whatever racial diversity existed among the survivors their culture and their language has most certainly fused into one over the centuries.

Old 2013-05-09, 10:31   Link #10
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
^^ I don't think that's a good idea. This series is set in the far future. Far enough in the future that neither side is really speaking Japanese (or English as would be the case of a US dub). The Japanese language is there solely for the viewer, not to represent the Gargantians or Ledo & Chamber. By this time in the far future, all traces of current Earth accents would have melted together and become something new. To maintain obviously current Earth accents would be sending the wrong subliminal message about how much time has passed. I would rather hear only Ledo speaking stilted English as he's learning the Gargantian language similar to how the Japanese seiyuu is doing now.
Ah, I see. This warrants some thinking...

Got it! How about if it was accented English for the viewers benefit?

ie. When Ledo speaks Alliance language, his English(as heard by the audience) is voiced in one type of accent(ie. BBC-meets-Spock formal, military English),
while when he speaks Gargantian his English(as heard by the audience) is voiced in another type of accent(ie. casual US English). This Gargantian accent would be used by all other Gargantians.

Would that work then?
Old 2013-05-09, 11:24   Link #11
LKK

^^ I suppose that could work. But I have to wonder why you want the US production to go through that trouble as opposed to how the Japanese production is handling the issue. I don't mean to sound dismissive. I know this idea is important to you. I've seen you post it at other forums. But I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish with the differing accents. Introducing accents is always a tricky business from an acting perspective. Accents have a tendency to slip unless the actor is extremely skilled. Maintaining a single accent across a group of actors is multiplying the problem. Why not let the actors' native accents do what you're suggesting? Why add the extra layer of complexity when it seems to serve no purpose?

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2013-05-14, 05:13   Link #12
ReddyRedWolf

Can't help but think Kana ASumi voicing Melty reminds me of Nyarko. How both want a cute guy.

Hisako Kanemoto's Amy reminds me of Kanat in Sora no Woto. Her Sugoi repeating reminds me of Ika- Musume.
Closed Thread