AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Darker Than Black

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-31, 14:04   Link #881
wao
OK.

Hm, I was going to stay up to watch the latest of this, but after reading the various impressions on this episode... I think I'm not in so much of a hurry to watch it after all.

Spoiler for unfounded opinion:

But let us only make judgements after seeing the actual thing... me, though, I'm going to sleep first.
Old 2007-05-31, 14:47   Link #882
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Like Kaioshin there!? Just kidding. Just to slightly venture into the comparison territory, Bones isn't a good comparison for KyoAni work such as Haruhi in my humble opinion. If Kaioshin is willing to compromise with "Production I. G." instead of "Bones" in that sentence, then I wholeheartedly will agree with him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
I find Production I.G's work to be incredibly inconsistent though. Especially in Raideen where no character seems to look the same from scene to scene.

However, this show has that same slickness, attention to detail (giving texture and life to things that would normally be overlooked) and consistency that Haruhi was famous for (At least as far as episode 03).

I find that a lot of studios seemed to be embarassed by how bad Haruhi made their shows look animation-wise in 2006 and that recently there's been a huge upswing in detail and consistency among most studios (Bones, Sunrise and Gonzo specifically) in an attempt to play catchup (and I think they have caught up now that they are actually putting in the effort). Overall if Haruhi did nothing else, it seems to have gotten the other studios to stop being so stingy on animation, especially where it counts.
Haruhi was nothing special animation wise and neither is Darker than Black, probably among the lower-tier Bones' shows when talking about visuals, but I've had this same discussion so many times in this forum I don't really know if you want to get this storm going...
Old 2007-05-31, 14:51   Link #883
terrus

Just out of curiosity has anyone here heard the fact that the series is going to adapted into a manga wich will be published in Monthly Asuka (a magazine that has a majority of mangas wich are based off of, or are spinoffs of animes i.e Neon Genisis, Code Geass, CowboyBeBop)? If the manga series were adapted by Yūji Iwahara the series orginal charcter designer (who himself has published a number of short enthralling mystery/sci-fi mangas similar to darker than black) i would defentily read it. i would suggest reading his largest series 'King of thorns' first if you are intrested here is a link to it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibara_no_%C5%8C.
I also recomend his new series Nekton while not as dark as his other works and it is more similar to his slightly cutesy first work 'Chikyu Misaki' it still think it's a great read. One thing i love about this series and what attracted me to it in the first place is his charcter designs wich are consitant to his orginal designs as you could see the Darker than black charcters apearing in his mangas.
Old 2007-05-31, 17:03   Link #884
flou
That's no lady

Just saw episode 9. God bless n*co n*co.

Spoiler:
Old 2007-05-31, 17:05   Link #885
flou
That's no lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrus View Post
Just out of curiosity has anyone here heard the fact that the series is going to adapted into a manga wich will be published in Monthly Asuka (a magazine that has a majority of mangas wich are based off of, or are spinoffs of animes i.e Neon Genisis, Code Geass, CowboyBeBop)? If the manga series were adapted by Yūji Iwahara the series orginal charcter designer (who himself has published a number of short enthralling mystery/sci-fi mangas similar to darker than black) i would defentily read it. i would suggest reading his largest series 'King of thorns' first if you are intrested here is a link to it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibara_no_%C5%8C.
I also recomend his new series Nekton while not as dark as his other works and it is more similar to his slightly cutesy first work 'Chikyu Misaki' it still think it's a great read. One thing i love about this series and what attracted me to it in the first place is his charcter designs wich are consitant to his orginal designs as you could see the Darker than black charcters apearing in his mangas.
The DtB manga sadly isn't going to be drawn by Iwahara-sensei, but someone else (unknown).
Old 2007-05-31, 17:19   Link #886
Joojoobees

Arrow My theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Ep 8

Didn't like the fact that the only link between the contractor Hei and co were chasing and the detective story was just a coincidence. I mean, other than the kickass fight scene at the beginning of the ep, there didn't really seem to be much of a point to them being in this ep.
Speculation alert!

Spoiler for connections:

Therefore the two stories were intricately intertwined.
Old 2007-05-31, 17:32   Link #887
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrus View Post
Sadamoto's Evangelion is published in Shounen Ace... shoujo-esque Angelic Days was published in Asuka.
Old 2007-05-31, 17:36   Link #888
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Episode 9 was alright.

Genga quality slipped here and there, the Chinese were painfully stereotypical and the plot was predictable, but had lots of laughs. Let's just say that it was worse than your usual BONES episode, but not that bad.

The plot goes like this.

Spoiler for episode 9:

The story is laughably predictable, but seeing Hei blush was funny. Overall, it was a mediocre episode, but it wasn't at boring as the last two.
Old 2007-05-31, 17:40   Link #889
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
The story is laughably predictable, but seeing Hei blush was funny. Overall, it was a mediocre episode, but it wasn't as boring as the last two.
Weirdly, I think of 7-8 as the height of the series along with 1-2.
Old 2007-05-31, 17:43   Link #890
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Naw, the best ones are undoubtedly those about Mi6. 7-8 were nothing to get exited about.
Old 2007-05-31, 18:13   Link #891
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Naw, the best ones are undoubtedly those about Mi6. 7-8 were nothing to get exited about.
I thought 6 wasn't really that well executed and at times turned too melodramatic... 7-8 had actual good animation, real noir yet laid-back mood and probably even the OST was cooler in it. 1-2 were nicely low-key and dark yet not really "let's be gritty and shocking" like 3-6.
Old 2007-05-31, 22:29   Link #892
nubby

Wow eps 9 was pretty good, I don't know why you would say it's just ok. The quality was top notch too. The arc is pretty interesting and I can't wait for the next eps. One thing I can't seem to figure out is if this arc takes place before or after Misaki met Hei in eps 2.

BTW, the eps 7-8 were crap.
Old 2007-05-31, 23:03   Link #893
wao
OK.

Finally watched 9. Oh who cares if it's predictable and stuff, it wasn't painfully bad at all... I enjoyed it just for Hei if anything Damn I loved the way
Spoiler:

Also, next ep - who thinks
Spoiler:
Old 2007-06-01, 00:05   Link #894
nubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2007-06-01, 05:35   Link #895
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Genga quality slipped here and there, the Chinese were painfully stereotypical and the plot was predictable, but had lots of laughs. Let's just say that it was worse than your usual BONES episode, but not that bad.
im glad someone else noticed

ep 9 ~
Spoiler:

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-06-01, 06:16   Link #896
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

I think 7 and 8 was more about Mao and some insight into the contractor powers. If a contractor loosing his body can mean that they no longer need to remunerate, does that mean they regain their humanity too?

I can understand why Mao still works for the Syndicate even if he did, since he is tied into their network. I suppose he could find a dolphin or whale to hop into if he did want to break away.
Old 2007-06-01, 06:29   Link #897
arkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
I'm still amazed at how silly the people in this forum are when it comes to appreciate animation.
About as silly as pretending to know enough Japanese to do decent TL comparisons
Old 2007-06-01, 08:35   Link #898
hipeach

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao View Post
Finally watched 9. Oh who cares if it's predictable and stuff, it wasn't painfully bad at all... I enjoyed it just for Hei if anything Damn I loved the way
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
the thing that is painfully bad is that
Spoiler:
For Saitou, nope
Spoiler:
On the other hand I'm sure
Spoiler:
Old 2007-06-01, 11:49   Link #899
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Apology ahead for I'll be going a bit-off topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
Haruhi was nothing special animation wise and neither is Darker than Black, probably among the lower-tier Bones' shows when talking about visuals, but I've had this same discussion so many times in this forum I don't really know if you want to get this storm going...
I don't believe most of us who have posted here consider DtB special because of it's animated motion. What stands out about this show is the vast amount of background detail that sometime also includes some intricacy. I also like the character design for this show. As for Haruhi, since I've no idea how you judge/rate animation, I would just disagree with you in that example for now, and will leave it at that. In the meantime, I'll see if I can locate a post of yours in the forum that has your take on animation as a subject to get a better understanding on your take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin
I find that a lot of studios seemed to be embarassed by how bad Haruhi made their shows look animation-wise in 2006 and that recently there's been a huge upswing in detail and consistency among most studios (Bones, Sunrise and Gonzo specifically) in an attempt to play catchup (and I think they have caught up now that they are actually putting in the effort). Overall if Haruhi did nothing else, it seems to have gotten the other studios to stop being so stingy on animation, especially where it counts.
Wholeheartedly agree with this observation though studios like Production I.G. has always been ahead of the game. KyoAni's influence is that the studio is gorgeously animating show that has otherwise generic script. Ohter studios that also pump out tons of those generic script in anime every season, thanks to KyoAni, now their work don't appear anything special even though the mold of those works are pretty much the same. Haruhi is the exception, of course, in regards to script.

Anyway, I'm done off-topicing the thread. Looking forward to episode 9.
Old 2007-06-01, 12:35   Link #900
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkon View Post
About as silly as pretending to know enough Japanese to do decent TL comparisons
Actually... I didn't did those comparisons and just copied them from a TLtor friend from another forum, which is probably even worse.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, supernatural