AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-12-11, 02:53   Link #1
Fronzel
Schmuck

Kare Kano Discussion

TokyoPop's release of Kare Kano appears to be infamous...why?
Old 2003-12-11, 03:54   Link #2
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzel
TokyoPop's release of Kare Kano appears to be infamous...why?
http://sigh.org/karekano/
When I took a look at it myself, it seems at points they added in swear-words where there shouldn't be, though that might just be an editing choice.
Old 2003-12-11, 04:23   Link #3
Fronzel
Schmuck

That site's closed, friend. Doesn't say much but more condemnations. I'd like something specific....swearing doesn't seem so bad...why are people so appalled? I'm interested because Kare Kano is supposed to great, and the anime doesn't end properly, correct?
Old 2003-12-11, 05:13   Link #4
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Quote:
That site's closed, friend. Doesn't say much but more condemnations. I'd like something specific....swearing doesn't seem so bad...why are people so appalled? I'm interested because Kare Kano is supposed to great, and the anime doesn't end properly, correct?
That's true. I'm afraid I can't give you any more factual information. I've been just reading the Chinese versions and never bothered with Tokyopop, knowing that J->C often involves less loss than J->E. Plus, with the packaging Tokyopop did on Chobits, I don't really want to buy Tokyopop unless I have to.
Old 2003-12-11, 05:20   Link #5
Fronzel
Schmuck

Packaging? What do you mean, the physical binding and covering? The cover art? ...I did notice that the Kodocha and Kare Kano releases both have wierd, fuzzy art on the cover...or maybe that's just a shojo thing...
Old 2003-12-11, 08:22   Link #6
htpcfan
L1: Lazy Puppy

Quote:
Kare Kano is my ALL TIME favorite, and the reason why it "doesn't end properly" in the anime is because the manga storyline was only written till that point I think.

Supposedly, Kare Kano may have a sequel 26 series to finish manga 8-14...

PS -- The TokyoPop translation is BAD. Do yourself a favor and find another translation, heck download it off of emule... the translation is still better...
Old 2003-12-11, 10:24   Link #7
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

Look, all you need to know is that TP raped KareKano. I could go into depth about it, but if you didn't notice after reading volume 1, then there's no point in me wasting the energy. The translation sucks, the edits suck, and that's putting it charitably.

Similar to the guy above me, I'd recommend you buy Japanese copies and then find a KareKano translation site.

What TokyoPop did to KareKano and Initial D are two main reasons I currently hate them.
Old 2003-12-11, 11:44   Link #8
LBW
I like obscure crap

Send a message via AIM to LBW
It's pretty funny they actually dare to ask money for it too.
Old 2003-12-11, 13:50   Link #9
Fronzel
Schmuck

I actually haven't read any of it yet....now I'm worried...

Quote:
Supposedly, Kare Kano may have a sequel 26 series to finish manga 8-14...
Neat. But is it true?
Old 2003-12-11, 16:21   Link #10
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Quote:
Neat. But is it true?
I think that has as much possibility of a second season of Hellsing, or a FFVII-2 in which Aerith gets revived (and no, I'm not counting Kingdom Hearts as FFVII-2 ^^
Unless Masami Tsuda really wants to make an animation and go back to Gainax after the situation broke down, don't really look forward to it. I think the AIR anime has a much higher chance of happening (and I'm looking forward to seeing it ^^
Old 2003-12-11, 18:41   Link #11
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

I don't know why everyone wants an anime so badly. The manga is sublimely simple in a way that just can't be animated. Sure, the anime was good, but the manga's far and beyond that.
Old 2003-12-11, 21:32   Link #12
AG3
Inactive ex-WoW addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy
Look, all you need to know is that TP raped KareKano. I could go into depth about it, but if you didn't notice after reading volume 1, then there's no point in me wasting the energy. The translation sucks, the edits suck, and that's putting it charitably.

Similar to the guy above me, I'd recommend you buy Japanese copies and then find a KareKano translation site.

What TokyoPop did to KareKano and Initial D are two main reasons I currently hate them.
I've never noticed anything. I've read the two first volumes and waiting for #3 to arrive, and I can't say anything stood out as particulary bad.

Truly, ignorance IS bliss. I like this series.
Old 2003-12-11, 23:27   Link #13
htpcfan

Quote:
I don't know why everyone wants an anime so badly. The manga is sublimely simple in a way that just can't be animated. Sure, the anime was good, but the manga's far and beyond that.
I really like the manga, but I thought some of the anime was amazing in its own right -- sugoi!~

I haven't seen enough anime to see stuff that Gainax pulled off in some of their more experimental episodes. Like the papercut episode where everyone was an animated papercut figure, superimposed around photos of real landmarks. I remember there were some more quirky things they did, but I'm blanking out right now.

Okay some of the more unique points of Kare Kano aren't so good, namely the "super-duper-recap-before-the-episode-that-manages-to-summarize-everything-that's-gone-on-since-episode-1 (TM)" that happens in every episode, and the 1.5 episodes of full recaps beyond that which were absolutely unnecessary... I was amazed/disgusted at the capacity in which every single episode intro manages to summarize the plotline of all the episodes before, which, by episode 26 (when you're hearing a recap of 1-25), can be somewhat frustrating. But bear with it -- at least the story that's conveyed in the 10-15 short minutes of the actual anime is developed fuller than any other anime episodes in other series.

Whewf, enough of my ranting, I still love Kare Kano.

The music is decent... moody, slightly too melodramatic, and they recycle it just as much as most conventional anime out there. Not to say the music is bad... I still like it because it associates to a character or a mood. Examples:

Treasure Every Meeting
We Only Meet to Part
A Lonely Figure
The music that goes along with Miyazawa, Souichiro, etc. Get the music CDs, they're AWESOME!

If you finally read through my long post, here's my thoughts on why the anime is just about as good as the manga: Just like books, comics leave many of the senses and atmosphere to the imagination of the reader -- your brain thinks of the soundtrack, the voices, etc.

IMHO, the original Japanese version of the Kare Kano anime sacrifices that imagination for the image of the anime director (forgot his name...), but the director's artistic vision and his ideas of the Kare Kano world, conveyed through the anime, is nothing short of wonderful.
Old 2003-12-11, 23:49   Link #14
Oneesama
本當に愛してるなら, "鰻食べる?”ってきかないで

No way~` Kare Kano is one of my all-time favorite either manga or anime ^^ suki suki~daisuki desu. er... there must be something wrong~~~ :P
Old 2003-12-12, 00:02   Link #15
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

Don't get me wrong, the anime is good. I liked it. But if I compare it to my list of favorite animes, it doesn't rank as high as the manga does on my list of favorite manga. Therefore, at least to me, the manga puts the anime to shame.

I mean, come on. At the cultural fair right after the play, in that one page with Yukino walking away with Arima, everything fell together and the understated stuff, and... god, it's such a good manga.
Old 2003-12-12, 01:58   Link #16
htpcfan

Quote:
I mean, come on. At the cultural fair right after the play, in that one page with Yukino walking away with Arima, everything fell together and the understated stuff, and... god, it's such a good manga.
That's not in the anime because they stopped it right before all that happened... so it's not really fair to favor the manga over what the anime didn't cover yet... ^_^;

But yeah, I really LOVE the manga too. I guess I'll give it a buncha brownie points just for more plot...

BTW, so what happened between the director and GAINAX? Why isn't there a 2nd series? ...wah, I want more anime...
Old 2003-12-12, 02:16   Link #17
htpcfan

One thing I forgot to add:

DO NOT listen to the English dubbing for Kare Kano anime... everyone I know HATED the dub, and both Miyazawa and Arima (especially him) were TERRIBLE...

Anyways, just speaking from a subtitle fan's perspective...
Old 2003-12-12, 02:28   Link #18
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
Which is interesting because over at animeondvd.com in their "English Track" forum, they were considering naming it the "Dub of the Year."

Never ever speak of a dub, if it's from a sub fan's perspective. I never do (it's safer that way.)
Old 2003-12-12, 03:33   Link #19
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

When the anime was made, they only had like 8 volumes of manga made... I doubt there was anything major happening in the background, and if it did happen, it was the director getting into trouble for spreading out the beginning so much that they were forced to use manga clips for the last 2 episodes. But that's just my opinion, as I have no idea what any of you are talking about.

And I just used that as an example. There were others. Like when Arima was thinking about how he wanted to make love to Yukino. A voice over simply doesn't have the same impact as text in situations like that. Especially when we're talking about KareKano (text placement and word choice are one of the things I love most about it).
Old 2003-12-12, 06:02   Link #20
Maveric
Aimai 3 cm

Send a message via AIM to Maveric
Alright. I've seen the anime and really liked it. I want to get the manga some day, but since I don't have access to Japanese manga, I'll just wait until a potential second release by TP with (hopefully) fixed dialogue.

Anywho, I find it hard to believe that noone here knows why the anime ended where it did. The reason is because GAINAX pissed off the author. They wanted to focus more on the comedy part of the story, but the author wanted them to keep in the romance aspects that they seemed to be dropping. GAINAX refused, so after the first season, the author refused to let them produce any more of the show. In other words: Until GAINAX makes up with the author THERE WILL BE NO CONTINUATION OF THE ANIME.

Plus, the show was losing popularity by the end of the series (the review episodes may have something to do with that). It probably would have been cancelled soon anyway.

Here is where I get my info.
Closed Thread

Tags
romance, shojo