Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2013-06-23, 17:33   Link #81
Folenfant
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
Let's just say that the animation really isn't the biggest problem here. Once you'll watch the whole thing, I believe you could agree with me on at least that point. Seeing though as how you've already established yourself as its defender though (even though you haven't fully watched it yet), I have my doubts about your future honesty!
I'm always skeptical when it comes to negative reactions to Sunrise productions because I've come to notice over the years their works get far more scrutiny and harsh reactions than most and to be honest I rarely find it deserved and if I do usually not to the degree they get. If the movie has issues I plan on acknowledging them, not singling them out and making them my sole focus in reacting. I find too much of that sort of thing happens already.
Folenfant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 17:52   Link #82
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Is anybody familiar with the original novel by Mayumura Taku? I've been told this movie is a sequel to it, kind of like what they did with Tokikake. If it's true, it could explain why some plot points are confusing.
Old 2013-06-23, 17:54   Link #83
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

What the crap was that? This movie was every single bland romance cliche in the book, except with beautiful animation and excellent cinematography. Unfortunately, that lost its appeal around the 1-hour mark and I was left with a movie that had little to do with psychic powers, no wars or any real conflict, and a bullshit ending that nullified much of the emotional buildup. It felt like a better animated, worse everything else version of The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

Oh, and let's beat up the main character ten or more times because he said something stupid, because it was so funny the first time.

PS: Also dude, if you can't hear a girl say that she loves you when she screams it about twenty times, you fail.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 19:27   Link #84
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Even if the animation was too excessive & story was blank , i still enjoyed it for the characters & the bit of romance.
Glad that Seki will realize how lucky he's to get such a beautiful Natsuki girl.(except the punchingbag parts...)
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 22:53   Link #85
pagan poor
Swayin' to the beat

So if you haven't read the original novel, then much of the ending makes little sense? I guess it's all about the animation and romance then. The rest of it.. uh, yeah.
pagan poor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-23, 23:07   Link #86
Lantern
<(゜∀。)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Is anybody familiar with the original novel by Mayumura Taku? I've been told this movie is a sequel to it, kind of like what they did with Tokikake. If it's true, it could explain why some plot points are confusing.
All I can say is, without at least some idea of how the 'world' runs based on the original novel, the plot is nigh impossible to understand.

I watched it blind the first time, and ended up with a face full of '????'
Then after reading some explanation regarding how 'psychics' and 'time traveling' work in this world setting (Seki's grandpa/Kyogoku's father relationship is entirely optional to understand this film imo), my second watch made a lot more sense.
Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-24, 00:27   Link #87
Folenfant
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan21 View Post
I was paying attention as much as I could but I still did not understand several parts, like

Spoiler for Huh?:

I was okay with most of the movie but that last 10minutes were confusing as Hell
I believe I can sort of try to answer your questions now:

Spoiler for answers to questions:

Spoiler for Thoughts on movie as a whole:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagan poor View Post
So if you haven't read the original novel, then much of the ending makes little sense? I guess it's all about the animation and romance then. The rest of it.. uh, yeah.
It seems almost a certainty that in order to fully understand certain aspects of the storyline like Kyogokus mission and Kenji and Natsuki's apparent flirtation with time travel somewhere down the line you'd have needed to have read the original novel.
Old 2013-06-24, 01:48   Link #88
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

BTW. Someone knows than ED single comes?
Nachtwandler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-24, 02:03   Link #89
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
BTW. Someone knows than ED single comes?

Watanabe Mayu 3rd Single "Hikaru Monotachi" (Those who glow)
Release date: Nov 21th, 2012

The song is called “Sayonara no Hashi”

Also, you can watch the actual PV here:

http://alive.in.th/watch_video.php?v=5X452GGNHKGR

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2013-06-24 at 02:18.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-24, 02:09   Link #90
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folenfant View Post
I'm always skeptical when it comes to negative reactions to Sunrise productions because I've come to notice over the years their works get far more scrutiny and harsh reactions than most and to be honest I rarely find it deserved and if I do usually not to the degree they get. If the movie has issues I plan on acknowledging them, not singling them out and making them my sole focus in reacting. I find too much of that sort of thing happens already.
And like I've told you before most of those harsh reactions are set to sequels that people are disappointed in because they like the originals (Destiny, R2, Otome, 00 Movie) as well as Gundam fans being pricks in general (SEED, 00, AGE), though you can't argue they have been wrong with the last few series... It's not like you see these extreme reactions for Love Live, Horizon, Tiger & Bunny, believe it or not there isn't a massive agenda against Sunrise. You'll get the "this is mecha, it sucks" crowd, so what, moe anime gets the same shit slung at it, so does harem, yuri etc.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-24, 02:19   Link #91
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

Kazu-kun

Oh. Really. I just forgot that I have it.
Nachtwandler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-24, 02:41   Link #92
Folenfant
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
And like I've told you before most of those harsh reactions are set to sequels that people are disappointed in because they like the originals (Destiny, R2, Otome, 00 Movie) as well as Gundam fans being pricks in general (SEED, 00, AGE), though you can't argue they have been wrong with the last few series... It's not like you see these extreme reactions for Love Live, Horizon, Tiger & Bunny, believe it or not there isn't a massive agenda against Sunrise. You'll get the "this is mecha, it sucks" crowd, so what, moe anime gets the same shit slung at it, so does harem, yuri etc.
I'll just say I think it is the ultimate destiny of all large and passionate fandoms to render themselves pettily unhappy on some level and leave it at that.
Old 2013-06-24, 03:19   Link #93
Revan21

After having slept on it, I now think the movie has pretty much showed the middle finger to the entire sci-fi genre and saying 'Why so serious?'

That would explain Natsuki's trial scene which is the height of the conflict and just about when everything should have gone to hell, bursts in Kenji, diffuses the situation by showing off a bit, then laughs the whole thing off. Upon exiting the room arrives Kyogoku, all set to have their meaningful battle but Kenji immediately shuts him down and suggests that they should have a 'beach episode' instead. And after that even Kyogoku realizes that the whole thing is pointless

To me, with all his ditzyness Kenji now represents the carefreeness that a child should have. He and his friends are all young and foolish, there are meaningless romcom relationships between them, and they are having the happiest time of their lives. At this point, why should they be concerned with the fate of the Earth or the entire human race? Have the adults think about that, because it should not be the childrens problem. And the sci-fi genre where the fate of the world always rests on the shoulders of teenagers, can take a hike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folenfant View Post
I believe I can sort of try to answer your questions now:
Thanks for clearing some of that up.
I must have missed that scene in the credits

It's still strange though, that the grandpa is able to seal Kenji's psychic powers, although the explanation and the reason for that must be in the novel.

From what I've read in the movie's summary,
Spoiler for Movie Spoiler:
Old 2013-06-24, 09:22   Link #94
Dop
Mmmm....

Well I quite liked that. It was very pretty, shiny, glittery, and had obviously graduated from the J.J. Abrams school of ridiculous lens flare. While I'm not entirely sure it all made sense it was still enjoyable. Although reading previous comments I guess it would make more sense to people who had read the original novel?

I did love the comic way the big Student Council confrontation was handled, and then the beach scene. There was I thinking that sitting on the beach in the pouring rain was just a British thing!

I'd not noticeably heard anything about this in advance, so it came as a pleasant surprise.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-24, 10:52   Link #95
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan21 View Post
That would explain Natsuki's trial scene which is the height of the conflict and just about when everything should have gone to hell, bursts in Kenji, diffuses the situation by showing off a bit, then laughs the whole thing off. Upon exiting the room arrives Kyogoku, all set to have their meaningful battle but Kenji immediately shuts him down and suggests that they should have a 'beach episode' instead. And after that even Kyogoku realizes that the whole thing is pointless
Pretty much this is what I meant with it making fun out of any attempt to create serious animation. I can't respect such works. Although it is true so many sci-fi try so hard and fall flat on their face because their direction and dramaturgy is botched up or severely lacking. I can appreciate criticism, but not when it's executed in an even more pointless manner than the rest of them.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-24, 11:17   Link #96
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I'm actually glad the trial scene ended the way it did since:
1) It was funny as hell.
2) I thought they were being overdramatic about the whole thing to begin with so I'm glad it wasn't taken too seriously.

What i did mind though was that were was absolutely no follow up. So are those students still psychic or something? I'm pretty sure that's gonna create major issues somewhere down the line. Is the school still full of Phone-Nazis? That was never resolved at all.

And ultimately i don't even know what the purpose of the whole phone thing was. What were they trying to explore there? My best guess is that the story meant for psychic communication to be analogous to mobile phones in that they can alienate people who don't have them but honestly I'm not sure why that's a subject worthy of consideration in the first place. How often does that ever become a serious problem? I suppose it's a serious issue when it's related to bullying but then in that case the issue should be about the bullying itself. The whole ban at the start was stupid to begin with since it's not going to prevent bullying the story was pretty dead set on portraying it as the wise solution what with the only detractors being portrayed as petulant girls (I wish that girl had more screentime btw. ) or only angry due to group mentality or whatever the student council members were getting at.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-24, 14:34   Link #97
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
The movie was a bit a confusing, but I kinda understood some parts. I really like this movie, the characters were so fun. The art style was just way out there, very well done. The animation was top notch. This one of the best looking animated movies I ever seen. I love the colors and lighting.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-24, 23:28   Link #98
iceaco

So it looks like this movie's going to be a hit or miss depending on the viewers. Kind of the feeling I get from Paprika.
I hope someone will drop by this forum and tell us the relevant stuff from the novel to explain the story, but otherwise I really enjoyed it.
There'll be some viewers that can't link the points together and can't enjoy the story, but I'm surprised how delicately it was woven. It wasn't like 'oh, so that's why this happen' but it's more like.. after a few seconds.. 'wait.. That's what that meant?!'

Anyways, I do have a few questions,
Spoiler:

Baka-Tsuki username: acolyte

Last edited by iceaco; 2013-06-25 at 00:14.
iceaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-25, 00:57   Link #99
Aesthetic Shampoo

Cell phones? That was one stupid movie.
Aesthetic Shampoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-25, 11:19   Link #100
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
I am thoroughly confused to what the point of this movie was.

At first I thought it was going to be an animated J/K-drama-esque melodrama romance (with minimal supernatural elements) but what we got instead was something that was actually heavy on the sci-fi/supernatural elements and trying to take the plot seriously whilst having every J/K-drama romance cliche in the book and being very loud and obnoxious. No restrain or subtlety whatsoever.

Now if it was a straight romance I probably would have guiltily liked it as I -can- have a soft spot for sappy stories at times if its in a romanticized format (and then probs just bash it for lulz like I do with Anohana and the like ) but the plot little or no friggin sense to the point where I felt it just pointless and it completely ruined the movie. In the end it seemed like someone mashed Shinkai's art style (it was very pretty albeit TOO MUCH LENS FLARE AND SAKURA SPAM) with the plot of Girl Who Leapt Through Time but ended up trainwrecking like Guilty Crown or Valverave.

Quite disappointing. Talking about Shinkai... seriously, he somewhat disappointed me with Garden of Words and but this ended up being like 3x worse. FML. Do I have to put my faith on out of all people Mari Okada's Nagi no Asu Kara in fall for my romance fix? That doesn't even look good on the PVs
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sunrise