AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-07-22, 13:54   Link #261
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Yep - after watching ep 2 I am really, really liking this series. It is without a doubt the biggest surprise of the season for me. It is kinda hard to put my finger on why I like it so far, though. It has a lot of elements jumbled all together (a big mess almost - sorry for the pun) but at the same time they "work" and no single element is pushed past the limit for me.

I happen to like genki charas, but to simply assume from 2 eps that the "positive energy will save the world" is going to be used here I would counter that the very presence of that so prominently thus far with Urubochi behind the wheel should serve as an impetus to be even more curious, don't you think? ^^

In any event, for now this series is one of my most anticipated of the season.
Old 2013-07-22, 14:20   Link #262
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
I happen to like genki charas, but to simply assume from 2 eps that the "positive energy will save the world" is going to be used here I would counter that the very presence of that so prominently thus far with Urubochi behind the wheel should serve as an impetus to be even more curious, don't you think? ^^
Urobuchi is not working on this, is he? The head writer for this anime is Oono Toshiya.

In any case, even if the show goes the "yay positive energy saves the world!" route I don't think I'll mind that. I appreciate some relentless positivity in my entertainment.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-22, 14:34   Link #263
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Urobuchi is not working on this, is he? The head writer for this anime is Oono Toshiya.

In any case, even if the show goes the "yay positive energy saves the world!" route I don't think I'll mind that. I appreciate some relentless positivity in my entertainment.
Whoops - you are right. I got mixed up.

Still, I can't help but think that it won't be quite so "simple" in this series.

And fwiw I also am for some relentless positive energy.
Old 2013-07-22, 14:34   Link #264
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Last summer Nakamura gave us tsuritama, which had a similar mix of possibly dark story lines with a generally bright feeling. Maybe he thinks shows like these are appropriate summer viewing?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-22, 14:54   Link #265
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Last summer Nakamura gave us tsuritama, which had a similar mix of possibly dark story lines with a generally bright feeling. Maybe he thinks shows like these are appropriate summer viewing?
Oh?

Tsuritama eh? I was wondering what this was reminding me of - that's it exactly.
Old 2013-07-22, 15:47   Link #266
maximilianjenus
[E]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroz View Post
you can't really befriend a witch though
yes you can, read the mangas.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-22, 20:49   Link #267
garbage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Nope, the sound you hear was Paimon stretching his body to see if there was something there (it was a squishy sound effect).

Hajime was walking on air, in other words Hajime > Jesus.
then I suggest you rewatch ep2 16:49 - 16:55 with the volume a bit higher... even Hajime's shoes where making clicking sounds as she walks (and her shoes strikes the floor) ...hardly walking in air...., or do you suggest shoes striking "air" makes the same sound as shoes striking a solid object?. If that is so that would be quite a first.

Of course you could argue she "made the air solid" so she could walk across, but then why make it solid all around? because Paimon was testing it at the edge( not even along her path). Also no preparation was indicated/alluded to on her part, which is usual in anime convention in this type of situation when characters starts "walking on air". As Occam's razor would suggest, the simplest solution is most often the right one, and that is the floor has been solid yet invisible all along and the other members just never tried walking across it, this too is consistent with her characterization as someone who see & do things differently...

mah, what you suggest (that she walked on air, or more like she made the air solid so she can walk across it) can still be true of course with future reveals, but I think that's very unlikely. and would suggest even greater reality bending powers (especially if it is revealed that the others did try going across before)>> (or maybe JJ really just likes her and allowed her to cross )
Old 2013-07-22, 22:43   Link #268
com_gwp

Holy, I just realized why she stopped attacking at the start and later tried communicating with it. The MESS was imitating her snipping those huge scissors. God, I'm slow. Pretty amazing she managed to pick up on that, and the fact that all this time, the MESS never did explicitly attack the Gatchamans. All it ever did was try to escape.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-22, 23:02   Link #269
Student no.0
Part-time Warrior

Location: First star to the left, you should go there sometime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by com_gwp View Post
Holy, I just realized why she stopped attacking at the start and later tried communicating with it. The MESS was imitating her snipping those huge scissors. God, I'm slow. Pretty amazing she managed to pick up on that, and the fact that all this time, the MESS never did explicitly attack the Gatchamans. All it ever did was try to escape.
Good job pointing that out. Kinda shows Hajime in an even better light now that you think about it. Eager to see how they'll use this in later episodes.
Student no.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-22, 23:08   Link #270
JediNight
キズランダム

I also hadn't planned on watching this show, but peoples screenshots of her goofy frog face made me check it out. I was pleasantly surprised -- as others have said, the plot so far has been kinda a jumbled mess... seems they burned through a bunch of stuff quickly without good segues or exposition, but ah well.

Hajime is ... unique that's for sure. I don't think I've heard a female character use the "nan'ssu ka" "omoshiroi'ssu yo!" kinda speech pattern before. Maaya Uchida is getting a lot of fun roles as a newcomer, it seems. I hope she enjoys them as much as I do. (Rikka in Chuuni, Hajime, Frenda, Rei Kuroki, Mao from GJ-bu etc.)

I also love her poofy school uniform -- I think it's a new fetish for me, lol... Can you imagine how much starch you would need in that while ironing to get it like that?

I love how even JJ alludes to her not being right in the head with his poem saying "A bird with sundered wings has entered. It is no longer sane."

PS: I think the whole walking out to JJ thing is "There is no spoon" style. If you look, Paimon reaches down and doesn't touch any ground. Mind over matter, as it were.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-23, 03:58   Link #271
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
This anime is relaxing.... Too relaxing..... The girl is pretty relax..... next to being near reckless....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-23, 05:12   Link #272
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

I guess we see why she was chosen to be a Gatchaman. Conventional methods doesn't seem to be effective and hasn't yielded significant breathrough.. Hajime's thinking outside the box is what the team needed. Although, it may be a bit much.
Old 2013-07-23, 13:29   Link #273
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
I also love her poofy school uniform -- I think it's a new fetish for me, lol... Can you imagine how much starch you would need in that while ironing to get it like that?
Speaking as a cosplayer she probably has a really poofy petticoat on underneath it, I don't know if you could ever hold that up with starch alone. XD
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-23, 16:15   Link #274
Jun pls

Watched episode 2 and I seriously start to love the series already.
I liked episode 1 and if it keeps up like that it might become my favourite anime 2013.

Hajime is just so weird and crazy that I have to love her. She might seem stupid to other people but she actually might be pretty smart.

So Rui is that idol, glad to know now though, that he's definitely a boy.
Can't wait to see OD in action, from the opening alone he looks pretty epic.

I'm pretty hyped for next episode.
Jun pls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-23, 22:36   Link #275
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus2 View Post
I guess we see why she was chosen to be a Gatchaman. Conventional methods doesn't seem to be effective and hasn't yielded significant breakthrough. Hajime's thinking outside the box is what the team needed. Although, it may be a bit much.
The same goes for choosing Uchida Maaya to play Hajime: unconventional methods and thinking outside the box. Her voice can sound weird. She's not the perfectly trained voice actress. She's "a bit much" most of the time. But it's working.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-24, 01:45   Link #276
JediNight
キズランダム

Thinking about what I said before about There Is No Spoon. Another possibility is just that since she IS so nuts and decided to walk right out there ... that JJ is the one that allowed her to walk across without falling lol...

I wonder why Rui is maintaining a double identity. And was that a Gatcha symbol on the NOTE he has, or was that a different group giving him similar powers?

As for Hajime's uniform: There is no petticoat, it's just because it looks nice ;p If you watch in Ep1 near the start, she's lying on the grass on the roof and you can see the dress flutter in the wind. All she has on underneath are the spandex pants.
Old 2013-07-24, 10:26   Link #277
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I was under the impression that like how the G Team got their note extracted by JJ, that Rui got his extracted by that redhead guy.

Unless of course he was part of the G team before and got corrupted.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-24, 12:08   Link #278
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediNight View Post
Thinking about what I said before about There Is No Spoon. Another possibility is just that since she IS so nuts and decided to walk right out there ... that JJ is the one that allowed her to walk across without falling lol...

I wonder why Rui is maintaining a double identity. And was that a Gatcha symbol on the NOTE he has, or was that a different group giving him similar powers?

As for Hajime's uniform: There is no petticoat, it's just because it looks nice ;p If you watch in Ep1 near the start, she's lying on the grass on the roof and you can see the dress flutter in the wind. All she has on underneath are the spandex pants.

From a cosplay standpoint you'd have to wear a petticoat though, or a wire hoop skirt as no amount of starch in real life will hold a dress up like that, which is what I think wandering-dreamer was saying/getting at.
Cloudedmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-24, 17:54   Link #279
JediNight
キズランダム

No doubt. I wonder if it's possible to just have a rigid wire going down in only a few directions and have the circumference be a bit more flexible to get a similar flowing effect.
Old 2013-07-25, 08:53   Link #280
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

Normally I find most superhero shows boring or just not interested but I like this one. This show also had that familiar look and design of the background or the character, I just remembered Paiman reminds me of the character designed by Takashi Murakami. I just realised it now and I feel dumb. I guess the colourful setting, modern spin of old superhero shows or very energetic heroine character are the reason, this show is very refreshing for me.

And Hajime is definitely very observant and inhumanly optimistic for her seemingly airhead exterior. I would've thought she would fumble and cause more trouble for the team like jumping in the bus but the show is very unpredictable so far. Its pacing is very chaotic and confusing but I wouldn't mind since any anime with Kenji Nakamura is just different and confusing the first time. I just like this anime to be consistent I hope.

Tags
reimagining, science fiction, superhero