Notices

Old 2013-11-19, 01:50   Link #1101
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN 119 View Post
*snips*
Yep, totally wrong, but can't be spoken of in this thread. If you were to mosey over to the manga thread however, a few of us can accomodate you...

Suffice to say that the Fog as shown in the anime is much weaker than the Immovable Object the Fog is in the manga.
Old 2013-11-19, 01:55   Link #1102
CrazyPerson

So much shipping, not enough actual shipping. It will be interesting to see how Kongo and Maya fight. I'm hoping it'll be on par with what they've done so far since Haruna and Kirishima's fight was original and yet still well planned.
CrazyPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-19, 02:02   Link #1103
JackRydden224
Knight of Twelve's Knight

More Takao please. She's much more interesting compared to Iona.
Old 2013-11-19, 03:34   Link #1104
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
One minor nitpick was the fact that, uh, Hyuuga was never a fast battleship. The ship she was based on was an old-style dreadnought, which was then converted into a carrier-battleship hybrid in the wake of Midway.

The things Kancolle can teach you...
Old 2013-11-19, 03:43   Link #1105
synx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
One minor nitpick was the fact that, uh, Hyuuga was never a fast battleship. The ship she was based on was an old-style dreadnought, which was then converted into a carrier-battleship hybrid in the wake of Midway.

The things Kancolle can teach you...
Well Hyuuga is pretty fast compared to human battleships
synx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-19, 04:27   Link #1106
potchip

Just a translation error. All battleships were referred to as 'big battleship class' in the show even if Kongo class and Ise class are different. Kongo class are originally battle cruisers modernized with additional armour and re-classified as battleships, hence the 'fast' part. Ise class are improved Fuso class ships and designed as battleships from the word go.

Difference between battle cruiser and battleship is the former are designed to hit as hard, but faster than battleships, with less protection - the idea is able to out hit anything that's as fast and out run anything better protected. Whereas battleships are designed to be able to dish as well as take punishment from the same calibre of guns they carry.

More amusing is in the OP stat cards, the fog submarines has higher maximum speed underwater than on surface....now that's some interesting physics here.
potchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-19, 05:36   Link #1107
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN 119 View Post
At this rate, the Fleet of the Fog won't need to be defeated, they'll just defect one by one!

Spoiler for Musing on power levels, the Fog, and strategic nuclear weapons (possible spoilers):
In first place it didn't "reduced" Klein field. Htaruna had it working on 3%, but there is nowhere said she needed that much in first place.

Thanatonium fission on which are corrossive torpedos and HG cannons based release great amount of gravitational waves that destroy metter on atomic, possibly sub-atomic level. It has enough power to twist space around itself and CT explosions are spheres of brown to pitch black colour which means it absorb most of own light. To put it simply Klein field and armor can tank miniature black holes

Even if we consider just energy needed on atomising area of one CT I saw quite beliveable calculation that scalled it on at least 18 teratons so...
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-19, 08:41   Link #1108
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Man, I'm late to the party due to some works . Just managed to watch the episode.

Well, almost everything about this episode has already been said. So, I just want to say that I'm glad that Ars Nova gives Maya her time to shine and Kongou regains her scary-ness. I will surely enjoy Maya's mini-bossing before Kongou herself wreaking havoc to Gunzou's Blue Fleet. Oh, and that is not spoiler coz it never happened in the manga. How the story goes from here can only be speculated even for manga-readers.

The CG is still irksome to me, but it surprisingly delivered the well-known gags from the manga pretty well (aside from Takao's different line when holding the Gunzou-dakimakura).

As for the subtitle, I also don't know why the translator likes to translate "dai senkan" into "fast battleship" when the meaning is closer to "big/great battleship".

Oh, and here's a little bit trivia:
Iona's code number (or is it design number?) is the same as Stargazer (from Gundam Stargazer) which is 401. Furthermore, Stargazer is also one of the first Gundams that has an AI which makes it different from its "brothers & sisters" before it. Whether 401 actually holds a certain meaning (like 108, 13, or 666 for example) or not, I have no idea. Still, considering that Arc Performance (the author) worked in Gundam franchise before, is it just a coincidence?

Last edited by Obelisk ze Tormentor; 2013-11-19 at 09:09. Reason: I said "Mana" instead of "Maya". I play JRPG too much :P
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-19, 08:57   Link #1109
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
In first place it didn't "reduced" Klein field. Htaruna had it working on 3%, but there is nowhere said she needed that much in first place.

Thanatonium fission on which are corrossive torpedos and HG cannons based release great amount of gravitational waves that destroy metter on atomic, possibly sub-atomic level. It has enough power to twist space around itself and CT explosions are spheres of brown to pitch black colour which means it absorb most of own light. To put it simply Klein field and armor can tank miniature black holes

Even if we consider just energy needed on atomising area of one CT I saw quite beliveable calculation that scalled it on at least 18 teratons so...
While Haruna's personal Klein field was not destroyed in the Manga (in contrast to the Anime where it was shot down for good) it still dropped by a few percent in the Manga too(notably with normal hand rocket launchers).
So Nuclear weapons doing a lot of damage to Klein Fields is not that far off - getting them in effective range without being shot down is an entirely different story though.
I also suspect Nuclear weapons no longer exist in Arpeggio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Oh, and here's a little bit trivia:
Iona's code number (or is it design number?) is the same as Stargazer (from Gundam Stargazer) which is 401. Furthermore, Stargazer is also one of the first Gundams that has an AI which makes it different from its "brothers & sisters" before it. Whether 401 actually holds a certain meaning (like 108, 13, or 666 for example) or not, I have no idea. Still, considering that Arc Performance (the author) worked in Gundam franchise before, is it just a coincidence?
the I-401 was an actual WWII submarine aircraft carrier.
It wasn't named 'Iona' though but simply I-401.
Iona is probably an anagram of I-401 in leet with an 'n' added.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-19, 09:14   Link #1110
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
the I-401 was an actual WWII submarine aircraft carrier. It wasn't named 'Iona' though but simply I-401.
I know that . Just addressing whether the "401" part has certain meaning beside the history of the actual submarine or not (for example, "108" who often used in animes & mangas are derived from sins in Buddhism or so). Oh, and Stargazer's name is simply 401 too before the scientist who created it gave the "Stargazer" name after some field-tests.
Old 2013-11-19, 09:42   Link #1111
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Quote:
the I-401 was an actual WWII submarine aircraft carrier.
It wasn't named 'Iona' though but simply I-401.
I thought one of the reasons it's spelled as "Iona" was how you would read its name in Japanese.

I would think that I'd read it as 伊401 at first, so I could deduce that I'd get I-yo (い・よ) from it - but then I can't get where the "na" comes from.

It's just what I had in thought but then again I might have been thinking wrongly.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-19, 09:45   Link #1112
Tim yy
SS Abysmal Gale

A bit strange the 401 crew actually have never met Hyuuga's mental model.
Hyuuga really should get a room and do what she did to Iona, instead of sexually assaulting her in front of strangers...

Her skirmish against Takao was perfect. The wild fantasies were well done.

Now we finally get to see what happens when Makie get to meet Hyuuga. They became friends. Makie is a lot more like a child here compared to her manga counterpart, and people are treating her like a child in the anime. But an inventor/mechanist like Hyuuga no doubt would be very fond of her (when they actually meet).

Konguo's cold and stoic demeanour was presented perfectly in this episode through the lines she actually said in the manga. Yamato's* lines were always insightful and enlightened, that didn't fit very well with Konguo's character.

Maya.....she's still upset I guess...
Maya:

------------------------------------------------------------
Lol, the Nuke debate is back~ once again
Tim yy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-19, 10:30   Link #1113
kagato3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim yy View Post
A bit strange the 401 crew actually have never met Hyuuga's mental model.
Hyuuga really should get a room and do what she did to Iona, instead of sexually assaulting her in front of strangers...

------------------------------------------------------------
Lol, the Nuke debate is back~ once again
Well she does have one in the manga. Not that she has had any luck getting Iona there.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-19, 14:04   Link #1114
Tranhieu

Finally got round to watching episode 7 and it really exceeded my expectations. Tbh I kinda feared they would mess up the story by deviating from the manga but the original bits were very well written. I particularly like Hyuuga's lines, even though they aren't the same as in the manga but her character was portrayed very well and that made me crave for more of her screentime.

I'm not sure how far the studio decides to go with their original adaptation, but making Iona ponder the question of their originality is quite a smart move. It added some depth and seriousness to the new story now that Yamato and all the complications have been cast aside.

Looking forward to next week with high hopes. And btw Ars Nova is doing pretty well in terms of BD preorders, not at the same level as Kill la kill or Non non biyori but that's still a nice surprice.
Tranhieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-19, 17:37   Link #1115
Tenzen12

Quote:
While Haruna's personal Klein field was not destroyed in the Manga (in contrast to the Anime where it was shot down for good) it still dropped by a few percent in the Manga too(notably with normal hand rocket launchers).
So Nuclear weapons doing a lot of damage to Klein Fields is not that far off - getting them in effective range without being shot down is an entirely different story though.
I also suspect Nuclear weapons no longer exist in Arpeggio.
While I don't trust Anime studio at all, in this particar case I think subbers did better job translating that line, than scanlators, cause feats of vibration torpedos are undeniable...

Anyway that idea about nukes not being present in Arpeggio verse was brought on manga thread by me, so it's funy see it here.
Old 2013-11-19, 22:57   Link #1116
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well isnt Hyuuga a bundle of engery using Takao to try to get Iona alone
Old 2013-11-19, 23:25   Link #1117
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

I'm rather bummed they used aircraft carrier Hyuuga instead of full battleship Hyuuga.

Endless "Yuk" Soul
Old 2013-11-19, 23:36   Link #1118
kagato3

it's really too bad we lost Takao's mini me army they just add so much more humor to the scenes

clockwise from upper left. mini takao finds the 401 crew has returned, goes into alarm mode, time to get Takao out of sleep mode, the who are you again scene, you will give me the cap... torpedo info now.

credit to DLRevan for either making or finding this pic.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-19, 23:40   Link #1119
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

The only reason nukes would not be present anymore would be if the various nuclear powers had shot their loads on the Fleet of Fog, and are now no longer able to produce new weapons. Which is not implausible, given that the US Navy faced the same problem when they wanted to modernise the Trident missile.

As for nukes, boomers are stealthy (particularly the Ohio-class), but they're vulnerable and can be detected when they're at periscope depth, especially when they're launching. And all submarines are ridiculously vulnerable, lacking Klein fields.

Thing is, given what we've seen of the Fog, all possible delivery methods can be intercepted. Air-dropped gravity bombs? Fog will shoot down the delivery aircraft. ICBMs? Same. SLBMs? Same. ALCMs? same issue as gravity bombs. Even if the bomber escapes destruction, the ALCM still has to pass the SAM barrage, point defense, and then the Klein field. (And this isn't going into how ballistic missiles are not really precise enough for targeting fleets which are always in motion, which is why the USN is not so concerned about China's anti-carrier ballistic missile plans).

Still, good episode, Takao was gold and so amusing, and it was lol to see Hyuga calling loli Iona "Onee-sama."

Will be interesting to see the battle... and this is essentially new territory to me, because I stopped reading when they hit Iwo Jima.

That said, one thing I think I liked a little bit more in the manga:

Spoiler for Discussion of difference in portrayal between manga and anime:

Also Takao continues to remain the flagship of my heart... even though I do kinda like Kongo, in some weird way.

Edit: Gah, ninjaed.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-20, 03:27   Link #1120
Tenzen12

After invention of cavitation torpedos after WW2, all nations started complete reorganisation of their fleets and massive naval boom in cold war era ensues. It's quite possible this Naval boom replaced nuclear one. So yes, nukes would exist, but in far smaller numbers than in our world.

That would also explain why united mankind picked ultimately sea batttle instead of N-strike as their last resort. It doesn't change fact, it would be as much useless.

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2013-11-20 at 04:51.

Tags
action-adventure, alternate history, battleships, cgi, military science fiction