AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2011-08-28, 21:48   Link #8381
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I think it'd be boring if she completely bombed. Just one more iteration of "Nagi's a terrible mangaka".
Spoiler for includes spoilers about c334:

Quote:
An ambiguous outcome where there is contrast with Luca being proud of her work and selling it all to satisfied customers vs Nagi selling her manga but it being treated as trash that came with the important item (Maria's photobook) would be more interesting .
How would that be "ambiguous"? It's disastrous. And I still think that she'll end up in the red, Maria's popularity notwithstanding.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-29, 00:52   Link #8382
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
Basically, this. I mean, because Nagi went the marketing route, she'll never know how well her manga would have done on it's own merits, and that's really where she cheated herself. All that hard work (And we did see her working very hard.) and practically no one who bought it will even look at it.

Also, I don't get all this "Luka should draw all the manga from now on" stuff. Luka got better advice and will probably come out of this with a moral victory, but it's not like she's accomplished anything Nagi isn't capable of with proper guidance. If anything, it just means Luka starts with a leg up and pushes Nagi into the underdog role for this arc which is where she was going to end up anyways.

Hata did say this was the start of the "hot summer arc" so I fully expect Nagi and Luka to come out of this as proper hotblooded rivals. I'm just wondering where the Maizumi guy comes in...
But is Nagi capable of accepting proper guidance? She's pretty arrogant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Spoiler for includes spoilers about c334:

How would that be "ambiguous"? It's disastrous.
Because then, she has to decide what "success" is. Does shoving her unwanted book in the customers' hands constitute success? Is making money success? Or has she failed, and need to go back to the drawing board?

Quote:
And I still think that she'll end up in the red, Maria's popularity notwithstanding.
Possible. But, in a way, preachy and boring.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-29, 01:16   Link #8383
Game8910
Shanacon/Ariafag

Can we conclude that:

Nagi = Shinbo, forget the series...make it profitable and sell thousands
Ruka = Yamakan, work on the details...make it enjoyable and only sell 30
Spring 2011 Impressions (part2)
Game8910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-29, 04:10   Link #8384
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game8910 View Post
Can we conclude that:

Nagi = Shinbo, forget the series...make it profitable and sell thousands
Ruka = Yamakan, work on the details...make it enjoyable and only sell 30
Don't really understand the rub against Shinbo here. I thought he had stated, that Shaft's fundamental goal first and foremost when they do adaptations is to satisfy fans of the source material. One of Shaft's two biggest hits isn't even an adaptation; Shaft's series generally aren't breakout monster hits actually.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-29, 10:27   Link #8385
Game8910
Shanacon/Ariafag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
Don't really understand the rub against Shinbo here. I thought he had stated, that Shaft's fundamental goal first and foremost when they do adaptations is to satisfy fans of the source material. One of Shaft's two biggest hits isn't even an adaptation; Shaft's series generally aren't breakout monster hits actually.
I guess I should've explained it better, it was mostly just a dumb comparison to some of the things both directors said this year which kinda reminded me of the situation of this little manga arc. Shinbo said how "An anime that you cannot sell, regardless of how good it is, is worthless". Yamakan at the time was also bitching about how "the industry is dying" and how "I will retire if my new series (Fractale) is not well received".
Of course in this case im sure the end result will be the complete opposite as to what happened to these 2 directors since Shinbo's Madoka series is now the best selling TV anime on BluRay ever while Yamakan's Fractale only sold 883 copies.
Spring 2011 Impressions (part2)
Game8910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-30, 12:42   Link #8386
Shadow5YA

That's a false analogy when Madoka Magica had great writing on top of being well-marketed. Yamakan while preaching about his ideals didn't really follow through in Fractale. That's why he gets a lot of bad rep: he can talk the talk but couldn't walk the walk. He just ends up looking pretentious most of the time.

Anyway, chapter 334 is out. As I suspected, both strategies worked, but Nagi doesn't feel good about it.

And apparently Luca puts on a Kyubey costume so that her manga wouldn't be carried by her reputation as an idol.

To be honest, I also completely forgot about the guy who originally challenged Nagi in the doujin market.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-30, 12:49   Link #8387
GDB

Awesome Kyuubei cross-over right there.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-30, 14:07   Link #8388
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
That's a false analogy when Madoka Magica had great writing on top of being well-marketed.
Indeed. If anything, it'd be more of a dig against Nagi's former attitude that she was a great mangaka even though nobody but Isumi liked her manga (or even understood it).
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-30, 16:17   Link #8389
Used Can

I don't understand how come it never cross through Hina's mind the idea of making Hayate crossdress. They'd have sold the dōjinshi even faster.

Anyway, just as I though, Nagi sold her stuff, just as expected, but not for the right reasons and she knows it.

As for the Shinbo/Yamakan thing. That's simply a joke.
Old 2011-08-30, 16:19   Link #8390
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Can View Post
I don't understand how come it never cross through Hina's mind the idea of making Hayate crossdress. They'd have sold the dōjinshi even faster.

Anyway, just as I though, Nagi sold her stuff, just as expected, but not for the right reasons and she knows it.

As for the Shinbo/Yamakan thing. That's simply a joke.
That's exactly what they don't want. Hina and Luca want the manga to sell on its own merit. If they wanted to attract attention, Luca would have come dressed as her idol self instead of having her face covered by a Kyubey costume.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-30, 16:32   Link #8391
Used Can

I know, I know. I was simply joking, considering Luca's side had herself, Hina and Hayate. Had they wanted to attract some attention easily, they would have been able to.

I'm really surprised Maria allowed Nagi sell those pictures of her. In fact, I'm surprised Nagi even did that, considering back in the day she wouldn't allow even Hayate get close to Maria. But well, poor Maria has been reduced to a mere gag-character.

I'm also surprised Hayate was on Luca's side and not on Nagi's. But well, he knew Nagi wanted to be independent in this one. So, he probably thought it was okay to support Luca this time.
Old 2011-08-30, 16:33   Link #8392
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

Send a message via MSN to LeaD36
Hina went for the quality as mentioned earlier. Nagi went for the guerila advertisment strat
LeaD36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-30, 16:45   Link #8393
mechdra

Looks like nagi is having a hollow victory for her product. I do hope that we can see her doujinshi pile up in trash.
mechdra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-30, 17:45   Link #8394
Sol Falling

lol. If Kyuubey were as popular in-universe in Hayate as in real life though, a gigantic Kyuubey cosplay would still be fairly attention grabbing.

Anyway: whoa, the fact that Luca sold out already does seem like it was a pretty big blow to Nagi. There's just no way Nagi really could've been satisfied from this in the start. I feel kinda bad for Maria, and bad for Nagi herself. I wonder how much further this doujin-making storyline will carry, though; I'd really love to see Nagi become genuinely competent at something through hard work and passion, but that would completely overwhelm the rest of the story at the current pace.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-30, 17:50   Link #8395
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

QB appeared and at the same moment, you guys were talking about Madoka Seriously though, I don't know whether Shinbo had said that or not but his anime quality is still amazing in my eyes.

Quote:
Anyway: whoa, the fact that Luca sold out already does seem like it was a pretty big blow to Nagi.
Hmm...but didn't Luca only sold 30 doujins? That's pretty easy to sell compared to the number that Negi wanted to sell

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-30, 20:28   Link #8396
Used Can

So, I guess the next chapter will connect to the fist chapter of this arc... or, either way, it shall be soon.

Finally...
Old 2011-08-30, 21:25   Link #8397
GDB

Or, just to be a troll, Hata will start doing a chapter per passing universe hour, or even half hour, with the current time being well before noon, and the preview scene being 4pm. Just watch his troll powers grow!
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-31, 00:28   Link #8398
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

don't worry Nagi.... Ruka only sells 30 doujinshi.... xD

I laughed so hard when I saw Kyubey... loool....

all hail Hata-sensei
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-31, 04:58   Link #8399
HasuMasu
*Artist

I hope the references shift back into high-gear soon.

Hata you are slowly regaining my faith.
Old 2011-08-31, 10:47   Link #8400
mechdra

Nagi, submit yourself to QB. He will definately make you special.
mechdra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, shounen