AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2011-08-16, 14:45   Link #61
Arkanis

I'm totally with you, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
The only problem I can see is that most people will probably be familiar with this show already, and thus won't be impressed with this ad. Still, those who've never heard of this show, nor know anyone who has seen it or read reviews about it, they might fall for it.
Well, that's one point, I can't agree. The add shouldn't affect someone who is familiar with the show too much in any way. Those know what they have to expect.

Regarding those who don't know the show. I'm curious what they will think when they see the PG-13-sticker on the cover ^^ (or something like that, don't know how it is handled in the US).
Arkanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-18, 00:34   Link #62
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkanis View Post
I'm totally with you, guys.

Well, that's one point, I can't agree. The add shouldn't affect someone who is familiar with the show too much in any way. Those know what they have to expect.

Regarding those who don't know the show. I'm curious what they will think when they see the PG-13-sticker on the cover ^^ (or something like that, don't know how it is handled in the US).
Looks like rated PG-15 or something.
Old 2011-08-19, 11:25   Link #63
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Looks like rated PG-15 or something.
I'd be surprised if this show doesn't get an R-rating.
Old 2011-08-19, 11:41   Link #64
GDB

Outside of movies, I don't think anime gets rated anymore. So... it won't get any rating.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-21, 21:30   Link #65
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
I'd be surprised if this show doesn't get an R-rating.
It would be PG-13 simply because you have a young girl using a gun, lol. There isn't any extreme violence or anything.
Old 2011-08-21, 22:23   Link #66
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Do you remember that Dragonair Pokemon episode where someone waves a gun? Well, neither do I.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-22, 03:19   Link #67
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Do you remember that Dragonair Pokemon episode where someone waves a gun? Well, neither do I.
It's rated 4kids.

I saw ratings in the DVDs... they do have ratings. I saw rated 16+ Kuroshitsuji.
Old 2011-08-22, 03:35   Link #68
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

"When this airs in North America, delicious tears will flow from the people who has no idea what is going to happen." Echoing one of the comments from the trailers.

Delicious tears indeed.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-08, 22:13   Link #69
Kudryavka

I'm also really hoping it'll be dubbed, or at worst a subbed box set. Well never mind, it'll prob only be 3 volumes anyway, unless Aniplex follows the Japanese format.

Wondering how they're going to market Madoka, since on the surface it seems like a tween girl's show. But with all these guys (bronies) coming out of the closet, so to speak, as far as watching "girly shows with good plots" goes as of late, I could imagine them snapping Madoka right up. Perfect balance of good plot and violence, and they aren't afraid to buy girly looking stuff. I'm not sure how many of those guys there are, though.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-09, 06:59   Link #70
Arkanis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
I'm also really hoping it'll be dubbed, or at worst a subbed box set. Well never mind, it'll prob only be 3 volumes anyway, unless Aniplex follows the Japanese format.
There will be a dub.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=105895
Arkanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-12, 23:27   Link #71
LostHanyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
It would be PG-13 simply because you have a young girl using a gun, lol. There isn't any extreme violence or anything.
Bluray Madoka
LostHanyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-13, 11:50   Link #72
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Quote:
There's blood.
Old 2011-09-13, 14:40   Link #73
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
So...

Spoiler:
So what would be extreme to you?

Violence alone is a guaranteed PG-13, though R and up is possible if there's lots of it. This show has a lot of action scenes, some of which contain blood, to the point where it can be considered as being gore. On top of that, it has all the ingredients for a thriller/horror, hence why I would consider this show quite worthy of an R-rating.
Old 2011-09-13, 22:08   Link #74
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

It's not extreme because they are fighting witches, not humans.
Old 2011-09-14, 11:35   Link #75
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
So...

Spoiler:
On paper, that indeed sounds pretty extreme.

The thing with animation, though, is that the art style, artistic direction, and style of animation can have a huge impact on how disturbing, graphic, gratuitous, and gorey such scenes come across as.

The scenes that you alluded to here are presented in a fairly realistic fashion, but there's not a lot of gorey emphasis put on these scenes. If anything, the gore is actually played down a bit at times. I mean, it's not like Elfen Lied, Ga-Rei Zero, or Blood-C, imo.

So I would think that PG-13 would be fine for PMMM. Personally, I doubt many 14 year olds would be particularly scarred by watching it.
Old 2011-09-15, 00:05   Link #76
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

It'll probably be rated something like 15+
Old 2011-09-15, 14:06   Link #77
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

We'll just have to wait and see. I'm not gonna argue about this, when the answer may or may not be revealed to us over time.
Old 2011-09-16, 08:54   Link #78
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
So...

Spoiler:

Violence alone is a guaranteed PG-13, though R and up is possible if there's lots of it. This show has a lot of action scenes, some of which contain blood, to the point where it can be considered as being gore. On top of that, it has all the ingredients for a thriller/horror, hence why I would consider this show quite worthy of an R-rating.
I'll have to agree with Triple_R on this one. The violence has a mild emphasis and is animated quite tamely.
Spoiler:

And the witches aren't very humanoid at all. The less human a victim of violence is, the less potentially traumatizing it is. You see monsters get torn up and gored in many PG-13-rated films.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-20, 02:46   Link #79
Kirroha
Just... disturbed.

Though the idea that they used to be human is enough for psychological trauma at the very least.

Most magical girl shows have underage girls beating up monsters with sparkly magic but that's not considered violence.
Kirroha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-19, 18:32   Link #80
Gx Hero
Rambler

THat is what makes this unique, next to magical girl Nanoha it shows the trend of having something more than magic girls beating up monsters and it repeating it for so many episodes. It is what draws people to it something new.

Also since the Madoka series has been dubbed which is not the best, but I have heard worse and given Kubey such a voice when it dosen't match up...

One thing about it is that that the DVD's are too expensive and are only sold on their website and maybe amazon been a while since I checked. All in all a poor market strategy especially when people can just download them for free.

http://nanohamanga.webs.com/

Links to other Nanoha stories on animesuki

http://www.mediafire.com/view/yp9qlj...e%20links.docx
Gx Hero is offline   Reply With Quote