AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > AnoHana

Notices

View Poll Results: AnoHana - Episode 11 (END) Rating
Perfect 10 144 54.96%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 62 23.66%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 4.96%
7 out of 10 : Good 18 6.87%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 2.67%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 2.29%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 1.53%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 2 0.76%
1 out of 10 : Painful 6 2.29%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-24, 18:04   Link #121
CWW
Lurker

As a last post, I'd like to thank everyone for engaging on the discussion of the show, even if a lot of it was wrong (oh how wrong we were). It has been a pleasure.

And what better note to end than the words coming from the Super Peace Busters. Cheers!

Spoiler:
Old 2011-06-24, 18:21   Link #122
Lange Neus
Dikke Vinger

Fastforwarded through a big chunck of the crying it didn't do it for me. Too much contrast with the rest of the episodes kinda killed the mood for me.

Speaking of contrast, I think this would've been more interesting if they kept the storytelling quircky like they did in episode 1. Forfeiting that turned this into a generic tearjerker.
Old 2011-06-24, 18:32   Link #123
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post
As a last post, I'd like to thank everyone for engaging on the discussion of the show, even if a lot of it was wrong (oh how wrong we were). It has been a pleasure.

And what better note to end than the words coming from the Super Peace Busters. Cheers!

Spoiler:
Translation please
Old 2011-06-24, 18:34   Link #124
achirist

I did not like the last episode. I wanted more interaction between the characters when they were confronting each other and letting it all out. I wanted people to respond to Poppo's desperation (guess what; no, he isn't happy and normal!) and to hear his full account of what happened to Menma (or Menma's account of exactly how she died would have done well too). I wanted Yukiatsu and jinta to respond to to the girls when they spoke out. Otherwise, it's like nothing happened at all, if you just ignore them and treat them as random outbursts. This is followed through by the non-ending; too much of the episode was concerned with Menma leaving, I wanted to see more character development; they could have shaved ten minutes off of Menma's goodbye in order to go farther in the future and show people changing.

I don't agree with the comparisons to the empty, moralistic, sentimental dating game adaptation that is clannad. Most of this series was something so much better than that show ever was.
Old 2011-06-24, 19:49   Link #125
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Spoiler for what I think is not completely resolved:
Perhaps we've all been too caught up on the 'wish' thing? The way I see it, fulfilling her promise to Jinta's mother was the 'unfinished business' Menma came back to do, which is why she started disappearing once that was accomplished. But her own true wish, which Jinta referred to at the end, was for the Super Peace Busters to be/remain friends forever. That's probably why Jinta kept mentioning Menma's propensity to think about others before herself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
She hasn't exactly been hiding them. Everyone could see it, except Yukiatsu.
Their schoolmates assumed it because she was always with him, but if you look at the way Tsuruko talks and acts with Yukiatsu, I really don't see how you can expect him to have known.

Quote:
Speaking of those letters, did anyone let out a grin when she wrote how kind, fun and smart everyone was and when the focus shifted to Naruko she wrote "I like how level-headed you are"? I was, like, WTF is that supposed to be a compliment?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
It's a compliment, but I felt she's kinda switched Anaru and Tsuruko's letters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by icatero View Post
On a side note: I feel like Anaru's and Yukiatsu's letters were switched.
I personally think Anaru's is spot-on. I just wouldn't have translated "shikkari" as "level-headed” but as "really careful" or something along those lines, because Menma was referring to her meticulous (or anal-retentive, if you don't want to be nice) personality.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Old 2011-06-24, 20:28   Link #126
marcosius
Anime Critic
*Author

Anyone knows whats the song during Menma and Jintan's mother talk?

Ontopic: An acceptable end, not epic but very closed.

Last edited by marcosius; 2011-06-24 at 22:14.
Old 2011-06-24, 21:16   Link #127
PzIVf3

It brings me tears and painful on my throat i though she gonna reincarnated but it didn't came true.

I've have a thoughts of Poppo to be a suspect a long time ago but couldn't tell how he saw the whole thing if that a suicide, tripped, push, drown or maybe he trying to stop her doing that but he couldn't act quickly.
Old 2011-06-24, 21:27   Link #128
Kyuu
=^^=

Yep. This episode really really really did its job ... of making you feel it. Feel things. All around.
Old 2011-06-24, 22:41   Link #129
TJR

Yikes, the melodrama was comically OTT with screaming and wailing that ruined what could've been a great ending. In short, good episode concept, excess melodramatic bloat used to fill the time.

On the production end, they appear to have run out of time too (unfinished, uncorrected drawings; substandard photography compared to previous episodes), although the DVD/BD release might allow for some extra polish.
Old 2011-06-24, 23:09   Link #130
taofd

I just finished this episode, and I honestly started bawling when they got their letters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PzIVf3 View Post
It brings me tears and painful on my throat i though she gonna reincarnated but it didn't came true.

I've have a thoughts of Poppo to be a suspect a long time ago but couldn't tell how he saw the whole thing if that a suicide, tripped, push, drown or maybe he trying to stop her doing that but he couldn't act quickly.
It explains a lot about why he dropped out of school and started getting into all that supernatural stuff. Most likely, he saw her fall into the river, but was too scared to do anything about it, and thus blamed himself for it since then.
Old 2011-06-25, 00:19   Link #131
jorez
but the kid is not my son

Send a message via MSN to jorez
I would have liked the episode more if I had some affection to the characters, specially for Menma... but I just can't get to like her voice. It was a good ending, anyways. Once again, like in episode 10, the soundtrack timings were on time.

Old 2011-06-25, 00:24   Link #132
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Spoiler for what I think is not completely resolved:
I'd imagine nothing would go wrong. It's just a child's wish - she stated that she gathered everyone together on the day of her accident to help her to come up with a way fulfilling the wish. It's not like the group didn't know already that she had special feelings towards Jinta.

Quote:
Speaking of those letters, did anyone let out a grin when she wrote how kind, fun and smart everyone was and when the focus shifted to Naruko she wrote "I like how level-headed you are"? I was, like, WTF is that supposed to be a compliment?
None of the messages is negative.

"Shikkarimono" is more like describing her as a reliable person; level-headed is a bad choice of word.
Old 2011-06-25, 00:44   Link #133
Bordix

Pretty much got me when they started opening their personal letters. I can just imagine Yukiatsu's face when he reads Jintan's letter, not to mention he finally saw Menma's grown up body. So Yukiatsu, is she hot? Oh man, I'm gonna miss his character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Hmm... this episode is best watched back to back with 10 I think. You have to be in a certain state of mind to fully appreciate it.
Definitely agree with this. The start was just too powerful and I found certain parts overdone. Kudos to the VAs they must be emotionally tired after all the crying and shouting. Memorable anime especially the music.
Old 2011-06-25, 01:21   Link #134
CWW
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by guuchan View Post
None of the messages is negative.

"Shikkarimono" is more like describing her as a reliable person; level-headed is a bad choice of word.
In other words: boring. I just find it funny that that's the first thing that popped into her head when describing Naruko instead of, oh, I don't know, cute. Or better yet, tsun.

Okay, I'll stop now.
Old 2011-06-25, 02:23   Link #135
guuchan
Mou Nakanai~
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosius View Post
Anyone knows whats the song during Menma and Jintan's mother talk?
"I Left You", by REMEDIOS.

It will be in OST 1 bundled with first volume of BD, releasing on 6/29.

Quote:
In other words: boring. I just find it funny that that's the first thing that popped into her head when describing Naruko instead of, oh, I don't know, cute. Or better yet, tsun.

Okay, I'll stop now.
Haha. It's from the viewpoint of a girl, you know. A very good girl at that.

Quote:
It's been a pleasure to see you posting here too. I think you grabbed quite a few of my recent given reps here.

Quote:

Menma’s Voice Actor, Ai Kayano:

おしまいの時間が近づいてきました。なんだか寂しいような、嬉しいような…複雑な気持ちです。超平和バスタ ーズはずっと一緒です!みんな大好き!(めんま役:茅野愛衣)

The end has approached. Somehow I feel like lonely yet happy... it's a complicated feeling. Super Peace Busters will always be together! I love everyone!

Jintan’s Voice Actor, Miyu Irino:

遂に最終回…観てもらえるのは嬉しいけど、なんか寂しいね!一人でも多くの方にこの物語を見届けて欲しい! !頑張れ!超平和バスターズ!想いよ!!届けーー(^O^)じんたん役:入野自由

Finally the last episode... I'm glad that people watch it, but I still feel lonely! I want more people to see this story, even it's just one more!! You can do it! Super Peace Busters! My feeling!! Reach out--(^O^)

Anaru’s Voice Actor: Haruka Tomatsu:

とうとう最終回!この作品に関われたことは私の中でとても大きなこととなり、一生の宝物です!何も考えず最 終回を観てください。今まであのはなを応援してくださいました皆様、本当にありがとうございます!これから もよろしくお願いします☆ あなる役戸松遥

Finally the last episode! It has been a big thing to me to be related to this show, it has become a treasure of my life! Please don't think about anything and watch the final episode. Thank you very much to those who has supported Anohana up till now! Please continue to support it hereafter☆

Yukiatsu’s Voice Actor, Takahiro Sakurai:

ゆきあつ役の櫻井孝宏です。この作品も最終回を迎えようとしています。終わってしまう寂しさでいっぱいです がちゃんと終わらせられるラストが待っています。彼らの結末を見届けてあげて下さい。6人の“今まで”と“ これから”をすぐ側で見ていてあげて下さい。宜しくお願いします。

I am Sakurai Takahiro who acts for Yukiatsu. This work is approaching the final episode too. I feel really lonely for it to end, but I'm waiting for the last episode to properly conclude it. Please see the ending of the group. Please see the "past" and "future" of the six people as soon as possible. Please do.

Tsuruko’s Voice Actor, Saori Hayami:

つるこ役早見沙織です!ついにあのはな最終回が放送になります!現場でも涙が途切れることのなかった最終話 ・・・。テレビの前の皆様も、涙に包まれること間違いなし!そして、見終わった後には、とってもあたたかい 気持ちになれること間違いなしです♪お楽しみに。

I am Hayami Saori who acts for Tsuruko! Anohana is finally airing its last episode! The last episode that I couldn't stop my tears even on the site... I'm sure everyone in front of the TV will be wrapped in tears too! And then I'm sure you will have a very warm feeling after finish watching it♪ Please look forward to it.

Poppo’s Voice Actor, Takayuki Kondo:

久川鉄道役:近藤孝行です。この作品に参加する事が出来たこと、ぽっぽを演じることが出来たこと、この『カ ンパニー』の一員になれたこと、全てに感謝しています。浸るには少し早かったですかね(笑)皆様と一緒に最 後の最後まで見届けたいと思います!

I am Kondou Takayuki who acts for Hisakawa Tetsudou. I would like to express my gratitude for being able to participate in this show, for being able to act for Poppo, and for being a member of this "company". Maybe it's a bit too early to lose myelf (laugh) I would like to see it to the very end together with everyone!
Translated in red above. I highlighted Tomatsu's important message in bold. Might sound a bit weird at places without an editor.

Last edited by guuchan; 2011-06-25 at 03:12. Reason: taking off the spoiler tag
Old 2011-06-25, 02:53   Link #136
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

yeah!
I will give this episode 10/10
one of the best anime
even though Jintan's joke really kill the mood in shrine scene.... lol

I think everyone will agree if I said that this ending is too rushed
If they split this into two episode, I think I will give this anime 11/10 rating....
That's kind of sad when seeing Poppo and Tsuruko's confession... but also it's a wonderful scene when they started to understand and open their heart to each other
The ending and pairing are predictable but still very warming....

hahaha
I almost cry again.... (thanks God that I am not a melancholic person)
Old 2011-06-25, 03:08   Link #137
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

The one thing I believe Anohana does better than any other anime is getting the viewer to sympathize for the characters. To do so the story creates situations in which the Super Peace Busters have two personalities: The deflective, stoic, rational side resulting as a product of modern society, and the emotional, disturbed, childish side still remaining from the characters' pasts. For example Poppo appears more jolly than Santa Claus (or some guy on crack) on the outside but is still bound to being a witness of Menma's drowning and subsequent death. Watching a close friend die really changes a person. Simultaneously Poppo believed he could escape the harsh realities of growing up by traveling the world and yet was still confined to the secret base because he couldn't get over Menma's death.

Now what engages my lachrymation gland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tears) the most is when everyone has to say goodbye to Menma. The entire show started out as a way to send Menma off and it's inevitable she has to leave some time. Yet in her short tenure as a ghost Menma has managed to bring five estranged and indifferent people together as the friends they once were. In comparison to Colorful it's almost exactly the same as when Makoto has to say goodbye to Parapara (misspelled on purpose). I feel happy for Jinta and everyone else, but does the one responsible for their reunion not get to stay for her deeds? At the same time Menma fulfilled her dying wish to make Jinta cry, so she no longer has a "reason" to remain alive.

I should use more commas... anyway I'll never forget Anohana as the show which manages to make me feel sad every episode. Hopefully there's a final impressions thread, as I'd like to give my overall rating of the show.
Old 2011-06-25, 03:53   Link #138
fazer

This one of those few anime that will forever have a place in my memory and heart...
Old 2011-06-25, 04:12   Link #139
cherrycolaz

This episode was really strong. I cried lol. I started crying when Poppo admitted that he saw Menma. As for the ending, I kind of predicted it... well we all did.
Old 2011-06-25, 04:27   Link #140
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Okay.... um... now THAT'S how you say goodbye. No baggage, no regrets, only the reminder that they will all meet again some day.

More comments... uh... later when I sort it all out.
Closed Thread