AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2022-04-13, 20:03   Link #461
Ghostfriendly

Serious business; female rep in this story sucks. It makes it a little more bearable that it was written in the 80s, compared to shows from the 2020s that are equally bad, but not much more when the future is stuck in 80s Japan. Apparently Rudolf also had all the gays shot; Julian and Yang queerbaiting is early Batman and Robin level.

There was a LOGH manga, and Takarazuka Revue, where female soldiers actually exist in the future; in this new series Frederica Greenhill may be a soldier rather than a glorified secretary/tea lady who disgraced her uniform with some pathetic cowering in ep31 of the original. Annarose is still a bland damsel. Hilde is the only female character I'm aware of with character and lasting agency. Jessica Edwards and Baroness Westfalen, my favourite scene-stealing character, show far more strength than Fredrica while getting shoved about or blown up; it seems as always that only the women excluded from spheres of agency and crushed by violence are allowed to be strong.

Also, the admiral with mommy-issues and idiotic misogyny really does not add anything to the proceedings. Although nothing gives the male-fantasy aspect away like Yang's Inaho-like, insufferably smug always-rightness, with his questionable views of war and politics undebatable and his humility far more cloying than Reinhardt's pomp. His laziness is somewhat endearing though. Reinhard is more successful than Slaine, but deserves it less; making his sister proud isn't an appropriate motivation for the ruler of a galaxy. Slaine was more convincingly motivated to reform the corrupt society whose cruelty he had personally experienced.

Apart from the characters, it's not a bad series; the ensemble cast and long-term intrigues are a considerable strength.

Last edited by Ghostfriendly; 2022-04-16 at 17:37.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-14, 08:20   Link #462
magnuskn

The narrative issues are pretty plain to see, as you just enumerated. Given that epic space operas which take themselves seriously are pretty rare these days in anime, it's still worth it.

If anything, the constant recap like narrative of the last episodes is getting on my nerves a bit.
Old 2022-04-16, 17:52   Link #463
Ghostfriendly

True, it's still quite a unique series, though perhaps not entirely. The plot is normally fast-moving and generated by interaction of characters, organisations and events rather than contrivance and blather, so its better than a lot of series. There is also strictly quite a lot of material for yaoi fans, but no pairings I took to.

The original series I don't think recapped too much; I can imagine the new series would be very slow if it tried.

Does Baroness Westfalen appear at all in the new anime?

Spoiler for Spoliery further complaint:

Last edited by Ghostfriendly; 2022-04-17 at 07:54.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-04-17, 06:28   Link #464
Top Sergeant

I am hoping to see what the Earth Cultists are up to this season and for Lex Luthor (oops, I mean Adrian Rubinsky!) to get some screen time. He has quite the sinister sub plot.
Old 2022-05-11, 07:38   Link #465
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Yang treating his "inquiry" like the sham it is never gets old. That old dude was fuming. But it's so ridiculous it's getting to Yang, too.

The big battle of the season is about to start. The alliance will have to make do without Yang, but with the amount of death flags Kempff raised, they probably have nothing to worry about ("don't worry, darling, I'll get that promotion and a vacation when I get back"; "we'll go fishing when I get back, kids")

Oh and the famous "if only Kircheis was alive/here" musings have started the episode before.
Old 2022-05-12, 22:46   Link #466
AP24

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...season/.185624

They already announced before that up to Ep 48 was being produced so not surprised.
AP24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-13, 11:35   Link #467
AntonKutovoi

Hmm... While dialogues are the same, I recall Yang being much more done with the whole committee crap both in the novels and in the previous adaptation.
AntonKutovoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-13, 18:50   Link #468
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonKutovoi View Post
Hmm... While dialogues are the same, I recall Yang being much more done with the whole committee crap both in the novels and in the previous adaptation.
It definitely felt like he was having fun making fools out of them rather than getting pissed off here.
Old 2022-05-14, 13:36   Link #469
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

How come the Empire can warp an entire fortress, but the Alliance can't warp a handful of people or a single ship?

I thought they both had warp capabilities, though not at the level of transporting a fortress of course. Don't the Alliance ships have warp? Or is their warp such that it still takes four weeks to get from the capital to Iserlohn?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-14, 17:18   Link #470
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
How come the Empire can warp an entire fortress, but the Alliance can't warp a handful of people or a single ship?

I thought they both had warp capabilities, though not at the level of transporting a fortress of course. Don't the Alliance ships have warp? Or is their warp such that it still takes four weeks to get from the capital to Iserlohn?
I think warp is how they all do FTL travel. Possibly the 4 weeks include the time for word to get from Iserlohn to Heinessen.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-14, 18:15   Link #471
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

It's never really explained, at least not in the anime, but yeah, I always assumed warp is just FTL.
Old 2022-05-19, 23:39   Link #472
leongsh
Daijoubu!

The ending of Episode 34 made me grin big. They did not expect the Rosen Ritter to be stationed within Iserlohn. They are the true bad boys that can fight off a 10-to1 disadvantage against the normal Imperial troopers.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-05-20, 13:17   Link #473
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I know we've been building toward this episode for a while now, but it didn't do much for me. I'm watching more for the politics and interpersonal relationships.

Glad to see the Alliance has an ace in the hole though. Getting pretty grim there for a while.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-03, 00:26   Link #474
AP24

So the third season ends on a cliffhanger like first season did. At least instead of waiting over a year, we only have to wait few months this time.

The next episode which is the first of the next season should be the end of novel Vol 3 story and the next season’s final episode should be the end of novel Vol 4 story. I guess if they plan on adapting the whole thing there will be 10 seasons. Honestly I wish they will end at an earlier volume with an alternate ending.
AP24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-03, 04:40   Link #475
leongsh
Daijoubu!

This is the point where Julian's status transitioned from being the adopted son of Yang Wen-Li into being identified and recognised as the protege of Yang Wen-Li. It was Walter von Schönkopf who gave Julian the prompt to opportunity to outline his thoughts.

p.s. If Episode 36 is really the last episode of this 3rd season, I will be a bit sad since I do particularly like the OP and ED songs of this season. Themetically, they fit this space opera very well.

Last edited by leongsh; 2022-06-03 at 05:11.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-03, 08:50   Link #476
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I didn't realize this was the last episode of the season. Really weird place to end it, especially since they gave the title of the next episode at the end. Are we sure there isn't one more ep left?
Old 2022-06-03, 15:52   Link #477
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

They really should have just stuck that FTL drive on a big rock instead of a fortress. Especially since Reinhard's preferred tactic was to just crash it into Iserlohn.
Old 2022-06-03, 18:44   Link #478
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
They really should have just stuck that FTL drive on a big rock instead of a fortress. Especially since Reinhard's preferred tactic was to just crash it into Iserlohn.
They'd easily be able to destroy a rock with Thor's hammer, that thing is insanely powerful. It's not like the author didn't think about it because that's pretty much how Yang destroyed Artemis' necklace.
Old 2022-06-04, 03:00   Link #479
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
They'd easily be able to destroy a rock with Thor's hammer, that thing is insanely powerful. It's not like the author didn't think about it because that's pretty much how Yang destroyed Artemis' necklace.
If it can't destroy Geiersburg, it can't destroy a Geiersburg sized hunk of metal. Especially one which had had the time to be accelerated at a good fraction of the speed of light.
Old 2022-06-04, 07:16   Link #480
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
If it can't destroy Geiersburg, it can't destroy a Geiersburg sized hunk of metal. Especially one which had had the time to be accelerated at a good fraction of the speed of light.
Geiersburg is a fortress with heavy defenses. It's the only reason it hasn't been vaporized.