AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-08-25, 09:51   Link #3321
skaianDestiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I do wonder why that was decided? Both this ship and the improved battleship have two triple long barreled turrets on the upper deck while the remaining batteries are of the older barrel-less style.

They are even listed differently as positron beams and positron cannons. While Yamato has positron impact "shock" cannons. This is all antimatter beam weaponry (positrons are the antimatter equivalent of electrons).

Dommel's ship has quad barrel-less batteries (49 cm and triple 33 cm) while Dessler's battleship has triple barreled main cannons (48 cm and 33 cm) as well as some barrel-less batteries (33 cm).
Quote:
Originally Posted by TZoli View Post
The barrelled ones probably give more firepower and/or accuracy and range (like a real world longer barrel of a gun is more accurate and the shell could fly further due to more stable flying path) or it could provide more firepower because more guns can be mounted of less energy consumption.
I concur with better firepower and range. However I disagree with less energy consumption.

Look at the Meltoria vs the Destroia. The Destroia mounts a full set of 4 330mm triple mount beam turrets. However the Meltoria, which shares the same design aesthetics as the Haizerad, which is explicitly a newer design, mounts 2 330mm triple mount cannon turrets and 2 280mm triple mount be turrets. In exchange for the cannons the remaining turrets have gone down in caliber.

Since the Meltoria is only 13m longer than the Destroia, and is actually slimmer, you can infer they have roughly the same power output and that the cannons consume more energy than similar caliber beams. If you look at the Haizerad it has the same armament as the Gaiderol except for the two dorsal turrets which have been upgraded from beams to cannons. The Haizerad is a full 43m longer than the Gaiderol, with the engine block noticeably lengthened. Thus you can infer they had to upgrade the engine to power the cannons as well.

Then look at the Gelvades, which boasts the highest turret count out of all the Gamilon ships as well as a good number of cannons. However the caliber of the guns are noticeably smaller than other ships of the same size; the largest guns are 280mm and it has a total of 12 guns that are 133mm in size. In order to power all those guns they went with quantity over quality.

More later.

Last edited by skaianDestiny; 2015-08-25 at 11:27.
skaianDestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-25, 15:16   Link #3322
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

A slightly updated version of before showing the other figher types (roughly in scale) on the Battlecarrier's deck. As shown the torpedo bomber just will not fit well on this type of carrier, as it could not fit thought the main armored hanger doors, and probably not even fit on the largest of the elevators.

So 60 fighter or dive bombers is not out of the picture for this carrier.

Also a scan of the retracting systems and hanger decks from the Gamilas book for reference.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2015-08-25, 19:49   Link #3323
skaianDestiny

Also what are the names of the silhouettes?
Old 2015-08-25, 20:46   Link #3324
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Aside from the DW262 the other three are the older Gamilon fighters from the Rainbow Star Cluster battle scaled to their Yamato 2199 counterparts sizes relatve to the DW262 and Battlecarrier.
Old 2015-08-25, 21:21   Link #3325
skaianDestiny

You should use the newer ones. I didn't recognize the shape of the carrier-based fighter.
Old 2015-08-25, 23:57   Link #3326
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I'll have time to do that later. At that moment I had the counters for the older fighters already on the computer and could just blacken them up and rescale them rather than look for the newer versions then have to do the same thing.

I can probably find versions for that that are clear on the multi-deck carrier instruction sheets, the scans from the Gamilas book will be too large.
Old 2015-08-26, 13:35   Link #3327
TZoli

I've started watching Yamato again (with my own edited subtitles) and in Episode 6 the Gamilan (Land Based?) Interceptors looking very similar to the SR-71 Blackbird Spyplanes!
TZoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-26, 14:46   Link #3328
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Those are the DDG110 fighters: http://yamato2199.net/mecha/gamirasu_air03.html
The original series had those as well on Pluto as well as the fighter Yamato captured early on.

Other mech are shown here: http://yamato2199.net/mecha/index.html
Old 2015-08-26, 15:21   Link #3329
TZoli

Yep SR-71 was the base I'm sure
Old 2015-08-26, 15:26   Link #3330
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

It was also based on this fighter from the original series, while named after the German twin engine fighter the Messerschmitt bf 110 Zerstörer .

http://www.shipschematics.net/yamato...mber_viper.jpg
Old 2015-08-26, 15:44   Link #3331
TZoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Found a version of it online still.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/101816886/...-Timeline-V305
I've read the document until the 2100's and.....
while I see there were great time and energy that was used to create this great document and I awe it, I think it is "Bullshit"!!
The later especially 20th century events absolutely did not correlate with the series I saw or read!
It should had been separated into at least 3 different Universes:
Queen Millenia, Harlock and Yamato and not mixing everything in it!

It's like mixing Star Trek with Andromeda Ascendant and Earth: Final Conflict into one!

Seriously??!! LaMaetel approching Earth, near misses it and neither Earth's nor the Moon's trajectory changes??? (1999) Not to mention Saturn's rings were intact in the SBY 2!

Last edited by TZoli; 2015-08-26 at 16:10.
Old 2015-08-27, 14:05   Link #3332
TZoli

Different topic:

I wonder why did not the EDF ships shoot down the asteroid bombs which were headed towards Earth? I'm sure the torpedoes, missiles and shock cannons could easily destroy them before entering Earth's atmosphere! Maybe they did try it and then the Pluto base launched the dreaded kilometer large Planet Bombs towards Earth which wield way more destructive potential?

Other:
Anybody know what are the different coloured clothing the Yamato/EDF crew wear symbolise? I know pink is for medical, orange for engineering, black for pilots, grey for security. What about the others?
Old 2015-08-27, 14:49   Link #3333
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I assume they use to try to shoot the planet bombs down. They might be too fast, or whatever radiation the reflex gun puts on it makes it somewhat resistant to Earth weaponry. I would think this could be a use for the bow mounted shock cannons.

As for the rest, I made an image for that a while back:

The only two departments were we don't see any females is Combat Division and Engineering. Melda's swimsuit gives us a clue as to what a female Combat Division uniform would look like (black lines on red). But no clue on Engineering since that would look a lot like the Support Services Division uniforms, unless they were white on orange instead of black on orange.
Old 2015-08-27, 15:21   Link #3334
TZoli

No, the asteroid bombs, which were launched from Kuiper belt and ignited by the beam cannon on Pluto.

The Planet Bombs are those monsters which look like oversized chubby cannon shells!
These:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzWfu3STLtQ
Old 2015-08-27, 16:44   Link #3335
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

While I didn't silhouette them this time, I did get the correct planes onto the battlecarrier's deck. The torpedo bomber looks like it might still be too big for this carrier. The wings would scrap the sides of the uprights for the armored doors, and the plane is too long for the largest elevator the ship has. At least when armed. She might fit, but it is really tight.

The other fighters seem to fit in fine.

Old 2015-08-28, 01:26   Link #3336
skaianDestiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZoli View Post
No, the asteroid bombs, which were launched from Kuiper belt and ignited by the beam cannon on Pluto.

The Planet Bombs are those monsters which look like oversized chubby cannon shells!
These:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzWfu3STLtQ
No, planet bombs are the asteroids.

The giant bullet bills are called Interplanetary Ballistic Missiles, or IPBMs.
Old 2015-08-28, 06:45   Link #3337
Top Sergeant

Ithekro, thank you for that Branch color chart!
Old 2015-08-28, 11:46   Link #3338
TZoli

I would like to see the saucer carrier stats they are often seen as new generation of carriers, as the tri (quad?) deck carriers were described as old ships
Old 2015-08-28, 13:59   Link #3339
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Those I think were mentioned as being a Zultz design that was kept by the Gamilas. I may be remembering that wrong. They are fairly large, though they seem to only operate the two wide winged craft (229 and the recon plane). It has the main beam weapon on the bottom (it seems powerful, but that is a guess) and a turret on top. Possibly missiles but if it has them they are not listed.

The guess is between 20 and 48 fighters in one or two stacked circular hangers that can deploy to any of the four doors on the underside.

Least that is what I figure. Someone who can read Japanese might be of more use if they have materials on that ship.
Old 2015-08-28, 17:19   Link #3340
TZoli

Pormelia-class astro assault carrier
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Indeed self defence weaponry seems non existent, maybe some missile launchers. The black things looks like large radar domes, so this vessel is more like a support or tactical carrier then a front line attack vessel. The ventral beam though ideal for bombardment of planetary surface.

According to the Japanese Wikipedia:

Total length 383.8m
Full width 291.3m
Height 50.0m

Armament:
1x triple Large caliber laser cannon turret
3x twin missile turrets
3x twin revolver-type anti-aircraft laser turrets

Carrier-based aircraft:
Fighter attack aircraft DWG-229 Meranka
Reconnaissance aircraft FG-156 Sumaruhi