AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2011-08-20, 15:36   Link #2501
KaoruLia

I prefer to think of it as HaruhixHikaru from Ouran... but meh. Just because the seiyuus married each other doesn't mean it'll affect the pairings in manga/anime anyways...

Anyways, it's weird that there has been two big seiyuu news in this month. I've been absent from the manga/anime scene for months now, being lured to the j-pop/Johnny-idol scene by Arashi (MatsuJun!!!1) and Mr.Children, but even the j-entertainment news site I follow have been covering Maaya/SuzuKen's marriage and Aya Hirano's sex scandal for a while now.

@Tak: Maaya has an attitude? How so?
KaoruLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-20, 16:28   Link #2502
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaoruLia View Post
@Tak: Maaya has an attitude? How so?
If you ever seen her backstage, or behind the scenes...

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-29, 09:12   Link #2503
Father Hentai

Sounds like you see her as the azn incarnation of Britney Spears. :P
Old 2011-09-01, 07:11   Link #2504
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Well, I used to like Sakamoto.

Then she proved to have quite an attitude...

- Tak
Makes me think of her role in Eva 2.22
Old 2011-09-01, 11:29   Link #2505
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Makes me think of her role in Eva 2.22
I have to admit, she is a very versatile voice actress, who is able to take upon multiple roles with relative ease.

Ok, not as flexible and versatile as Naomi Shindou, but right up there with the best...

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2011-12-27, 17:13   Link #2506
magnuskn

I must say, the previews for the Aquarion sequel have a certain Frontier-ish tone to them. Which, given the people involved, should probably surprise absolutely no-one.
Old 2011-12-28, 14:33   Link #2507
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

^NakaMegu voices a character whose name rhymes with Ranka.
Old 2011-12-28, 14:50   Link #2508
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post
^NakaMegu voices a character whose name rhymes with Ranka.
Ranka Sazanka?

She is a minor character though.

- Tak

Old 2011-12-28, 15:37   Link #2509
magnuskn

Until only her singing can save the fleet, err, world and then she fails horribly.

Or somesuch. ^^
Old 2011-12-29, 10:07   Link #2510
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
I must say, the previews for the Aquarion sequel have a certain Frontier-ish tone to them. Which, given the people involved, should probably surprise absolutely no-one.
Except it gives those like me, people who liked the first Aquarion, irritation. I don't like to see two animes that have nothing to do with one another cross like that. It doesn't look right. Perhaps if I hadn't seen both, I wouldn't say that.
Old 2011-12-29, 10:41   Link #2511
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
Except it gives those like me, people who liked the first Aquarion, irritation. I don't like to see two animes that have nothing to do with one another cross like that. It doesn't look right. Perhaps if I hadn't seen both, I wouldn't say that.
Since I think the first Aquarion sucked balls, I am not too aggrieved by the different tone I felt from this preview.
Old 2011-12-29, 12:34   Link #2512
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Aquarion - great music, but WTF story sums it up for me.
Old 2011-12-30, 10:19   Link #2513
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Since I think the first Aquarion sucked balls, I am not too aggrieved by the different tone I felt from this preview.
I slightly agree that the story sucked, but the animation was good compared to Frontier or even Zero. Makes me often wonder if Kawamori spends more money on it than Macross. But regardless, Sayonara no Tsubasa had a lot of Aquarion tones, including the final battle scene. So I'm often wondering if Kawamori wants the two to cross at any point. But I still thought Aquarion had better character backgrounds and personalities than Frontier.

The new tone implies that the characters will be much like that of Frontier, so far as I can tell. I don't want to see Ranka in Aquarion... that's too weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post
Aquarion - great music, but WTF story sums it up for me.
I liked the story of the past lovers... the present story, not so much.
Old 2011-12-30, 18:08   Link #2514
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
I slightly agree that the story sucked, but the animation was good compared to Frontier or even Zero. Makes me often wonder if Kawamori spends more money on it than Macross. But regardless, Sayonara no Tsubasa had a lot of Aquarion tones, including the final battle scene. So I'm often wondering if Kawamori wants the two to cross at any point. But I still thought Aquarion had better character backgrounds and personalities than Frontier.

The new tone implies that the characters will be much like that of Frontier, so far as I can tell. I don't want to see Ranka in Aquarion... that's too weird.
If you are thinking of that green haired girl in the preview, she looks much too assertive to be a Ranka expy.
Old 2011-12-31, 00:29   Link #2515
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
If you are thinking of that green haired girl in the preview, she looks much too assertive to be a Ranka expy.
No, what I've seen of their expressions so far seems to lead me to believe they are Frontier trio material. I hope not though. I don't think I want to see the Frontier trio play out in Aquarion.
Old 2012-01-05, 00:57   Link #2516
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
My thoughts exactly.
Old 2012-01-09, 09:28   Link #2517
magnuskn

First episode of that series gave off a good vibe. Almost Macross worthy.
Old 2012-01-19, 05:44   Link #2518
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Top 10 Romance Anime Which Still Have a Place in Your Heart

1. Toradora!
2. Clannad
3. Ai yori Aoshi
4. Onegai Teacher
5. Macross F
6. Kimi ni Todoke
7. Emma
8. True Tears
9. ef – a tale of memories
10. Ichigo 100%

Old 2012-01-19, 06:41   Link #2519
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Frontier myth-busting

er...I wanted to take advantage of the peace...but I have the feeling I've just missed it...*sighs*

Anyways, here's to hoping that this clears up more myths than it creates!

I've been alluding to this from time to time over the last few months, but there are a couple of myths about Macross Frontier that I've been wanting to address. Namely,
  1. that Yoshino was the one responsible for the triangle non-resolution in the TV series, and
  2. that Yoshino outrightly stated where Alto's feelings lay at the end of the TV series

From what I can tell based on everything I've read so far, the first is simply wrong, and the second is unsubstantiated (specifically, everyone just maintained the 'sky end' - not that I think it matters anymore given that the 2nd film is out, but anyways).

These myths have been used primarily by shippers on BOTH sides to support their ships, leading to arguments that have gotten out of hand on more than one occasion. Since I see myself as having some responsibility for this (having alluded to the myths and having linked the previous translation of the interview in question), I'm hoping to make up for that by setting the record straight here.

That these were myths started dawning on me about mid-way through last year, when I started going through all the behind-the-scenes material I could get my hands on. And that was confirmed when I finally read the original of a certain Yoshino interview - the one from the fanbook.

Once again, here it is...but with a new translation.

Quote:
The relevant section of Yoshino's fanbook interview

Heading: If we'd settled the triangle, the concert at the Budoukan would have been...

--I'm sure this question has been asked of and answered by you many times already, but why did you not settle the love triangle between Alto, Ranka and Sheryl?
Yoshino: The truth is, we were debating whether to settle it or not right up to the end. Then, as we were all focusing on the endgame, even though none of us every put it unambiguously into words, everyone began to feel the same way. That it wasn't something that would end along the lines of someone winning, along the lines of Alto ending up with one or the other; that it need not end in that manner.
 A lot of people on all sides even started joking that, if that quiet and unsociable Alto were to act naturally, he'd like the sky more than either girl anyway. And the result was that [we] decided not to force a conclusion, but to let them all go on and move forward in accordance with their character personalities.
 At that time, [we] all wondered, "Won't the viewers be angry?" "Probably. But that's fine, [we're] prepared for that"*. But after than, when the feedback from the viewers had come in, Kawamori-san may have gotten rather down. It seems like he was really bothered [by what everyone said]. However, whilst watching both girls on stage during the concert at the Budoukan, we had the following conversation: "It's good that we didn't settle it, huh?" "True that. If we'd settled it, this concert would definitely have been rather strange."* (laughs).

*Yoshino does not specify who said any of these quotes. Please see the notes below --karice

--But even if you put it that way, whilst "Alto-kun who loves the sky" is certainly appropriate up to a point, from around episode 22, it seemed like [his relationships with each] were the focus of his thoughts and actions, right? In episode 22, he even spent the night with Sheryl...when I spoke to the voice actors [for this book], that episode came up. The clamour it caused is quite interesting.
Yoshino: (laughs). Well, that scene certainly developed in a way that made everyone very concerned about what happened next. For my part, I don't want to talk about it, so I'll leave it to [your/everyone's] imagination.
 When we recorded the dialogue*, the key animation and storyboarding had already been done (NB: the animation was still incomplete), and a somewhat sensational rough cut had been selected for the recording. And the reactions from the voice actors, and from the staff on this side of the booth, included quite a few "Oooh...!"s.
 But no, I do wonder what actually happened that night (laughs). Only Alto and Sheryl know the truth.

*'afureko' 101 part 2...the dialogue recording for a particular episode usually occurs a number of weeks before the episode airs, when the animation is still being worked on. So as to help the voice actors with the timing for their lines, a rough cut is usually put together for the recording, and the seiyuu will stand in a line behind the mikes, watching that cut on the screen. (Please watch some of "Anime Ad-lib Laboratory" for an idea of what a recording studio looks like.)

--Won't that 'sensational cut' be resurrected for the BD or DVD perhaps!?
Yoshino: Well...I wonder what we should do with that. But rather than placing your hopes on the TV version...it might be better if to invest them in the films. We could also use it for publicity (laughs).

--And even after than, Alto's strange advance continues. In episode 23, he said that he entered S.M.S. for Ranka's sake, but follows that by telling Sheryl that he'll return to her side in episode 24. And then we have his "You are both my wings!" in the final episode!
Yoshino: I think that Alto doesn't have much self-awareness. [That unconscious part though, is rather bad/mean. (laughs)] Speaking for myself, however, until the conversation between Sheryl and Alto before he goes off to battle, I really didn't know how their parting would turn out.*
 But you know, I do think it's good that we didn't settle it. It's great that viewers can see the ending the way they want, according to whomever they were supporting, be it "he was heading to Ranka's side, right?" or "No, Sheryl's the one who won." Since everyone will see things in a different way anyway, there's a feeling on this side that we need not settle it either.

*this was the part that, in the original translation, gave the impression that Yoshino had stated where Alto's feelings lay. --karice
Spoiler for Original Japanese text:

NOTES
This translation is mostly mine, with slight reference to the original translation and also to a rough translation from someone who has worked on many things for a certain Eva community (said translator being a friend of a friend). His comments, which accompanied the translation, went along the following lines:
  • what it shows is that the staff were seeing things heading towards something like a conclusion, but thought that it need not fall into that pattern
  • The keyword is the phrase「ということになったんです」, which is literally something like "that is the result" (See underlined phrase above. The nature of English being what it is, I decided to use the pronoun "we". --karice), which is an objective statement used in Japanese to remove the identity of the person(s) who made the change. As such, the comments that come after that statement, about 'the viewers being angry' and 'I'm prepared for it' might not have actually been said, or might have come from different staff or from Kawamori or Yoshino themselves - we don't know.
  • The important thing is that Yoshino was being careful not to pin the responsibility for the decision on anyone, instead speaking of it as a group decision.
  • But Kawamori would naturally have felt that he was responsible for all decisions regarding the story => he understandably felt down after hearing all the negative opinions about the ending.

Finally...please don't engage in finger-pointing etc. Unlike the Shaloom issue, this was the result of a genuine mistake on several of our parts. I'm just hoping to clear it up because I've come across those myths (and variations there of) too many times for my liking.

Over to the rest of you if you'd like to comment.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2012-01-20 at 08:05.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-19, 12:26   Link #2520
Xardie
Persona

ahhh, you finally came out with the info. Great, just great - even if I'm slightly worried about the public response (but more than that: it's going to be fascinating )

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
This translation is mostly mine, with slight reference to the original translation and also to a rough translation from someone who has worked on many things for a certain Eva community (said translator being a friend of a friend). His comments, which accompanied the translation, went along the following lines:
I can guarantee the quality and accuracy of his work on this matter, of course. Those of you who have interest in Puella Magi Madoka Magica have probably stumbled upon numerous translations by him as sizable amount of material avalaible on PMMM wiki is his work.

Kawamori is the King Troll and poor Yosino has got too much honor for Sky End troll thanks to past mistranslations

Tags
action, romance