AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

Old 2010-01-12, 20:45   Link #401
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Honestly, when I saw it, there was really only one thing I got from:

LENS FLARE. Plus I like how Kyou and Tomoyo randomly show up to meet them later, even though there is no suggestion whatsoever that they are friends. And Ryou doesn't exist. I understand she's not that important and nobody really cared about the poor girl in the anime, but still!

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-13, 03:57   Link #402
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khu View Post
So I grabbed a box version of Clannad, Clannad AS and Clannad the Movie (with free Soundtrack! )
That sounds real legal... (Assuming you mean that you found a box with all of the above in it, which I suspect doesn't legally exist. I'm guessing it's also region 0...)
Old 2010-01-13, 15:47   Link #403
kitten320

I had seen movie moments ago and somehow it was lacking

Basicly it was a short re-tail of 2 seasons with slight modifications.

Ryou being completly ignored was sad, Kotomi also by some reason happened to be conductor 0_o

Was nice to see Sunohara/Tomoyo/Tomoya communicate with each other though... but somehow movie was lacking for me.

7/10...
Old 2010-01-15, 04:24   Link #404
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
That sounds real legal... (Assuming you mean that you found a box with all of the above in it, which I suspect doesn't legally exist. I'm guessing it's also region 0...)
No, seriously, I did.

It was in Malaysia...

So I got English, Chinese and Malay subs for it. ^^
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-15, 08:55   Link #405
darktruth

Malaysia is known to be the bootleg capital when it comes to DVDs. The sticker of Malaysian Classification Board on the DVD cases is also fake while the DVD itself and contents (english subtitles in particular) are very dodgy. Many bootleggers use the stickers to claim it's authentic but in reality it isn't since they get the stickers from some dodgy source and just slap it on the DVD cases, it's happened with hundreds of animes and I'm sure movies from the west and such too.

There's a link a below on a guide to spot bootleg DVDs since your previous post described how messed up your "boxed" version of the Clannad series and movies were (which I assume you didn't want to get - you're not a supporter of bootleggers are you?)

How to spot bootleg anime DVDs

Last edited by darktruth; 2010-01-15 at 09:21.
darktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-15, 22:28   Link #406
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdjapan
Sequel DVD release from the hit anime series "CLANNED."
And you're telling me about dodgy subtitles? XD

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=PCBE-53101
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-16, 00:52   Link #407
darktruth

Pretty sad you had to use a item description on an online shop to refute that as to one that's actually on the DVD, besides there isn't even any subs on the DVD :P, anyway my point is if you're gonna buy anime DVDs at least buy it from official companies or licensors than from dodgy asian bootlegs. Fair enough if it's your first time as you may be unaware but try to actually support the people who make and produce the anime than support bootleggers who just steal from them and make their own profits.
darktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-15, 17:26   Link #408
Kid Ryan
Playful Explorer

Exclamation Clannad the Movie will be English Dubbed!

Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...nad-anime-film

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime News Network
David Williams of the North American anime distributor Sentai Filmworks confirmed on the AnimeOnDVD forums that his company will release the Clannad anime film with English dubbing and subtitles next March.

The company originally made this announcement at Izumicon this weekend.
I am so excited ^_^, I'll finally be able to start watching Clannad soon .

(I will not watch S1 Dub & S2 Dub until Movie Dub is out)
Kid Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-08, 14:28   Link #409
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

That David Mataranga guy or whatever his name is needs to do a better job this time around, or hire someone else. He was a bad voice actor from the beginning of the series right up to the end. And Greg Ayares as Sunohora....ugh.

Clannad was just not meant to be dubbed. Or if it was...not by these guys.
SJCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-09, 09:52   Link #410
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I once again reiterate that Nagisa can only ever sound like Nakahara Mai.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-10, 13:42   Link #411
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I once again reiterate that Nagisa can only ever sound like Nakahara Mai.
QFT

No offense to the american VA but Mai Nakahara is just better in so many ways. I was also impressed by Mai's improvement after voicing Nagisa in the the movie. In the movie, Nagisa's voice felt as bland as her character but Nagisa from the TV series had a subtle growth in not just her character, but her voice as well.

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-10, 23:13   Link #412
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

Nagisa's character in the movie wasn't bland at all. She made a profound impact on everyone she met and basically carried the entire movie. Her drive and determination were both infectious and adorable, which compelled everyone around her to help her achieve her goals, and compelled me to keep watching (lol).

I'd watch the movie again just as a reminder of how awesome she is. A series rewatch would be a lot harder for me to stomach.
Old 2010-12-12, 20:48   Link #413
DeX-kun
Alto x Ranka :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJCrew View Post
Nagisa's character in the movie wasn't bland at all. She made a profound impact on everyone she met and basically carried the entire movie. Her drive and determination were both infectious and adorable, which compelled everyone around her to help her achieve her goals, and compelled me to keep watching (lol).
Ironically enough, this is exactly what I think about Nagisa in the TV series and not the movie. Although the impact in the TV series was more of a combination between Tomoya and Nagisa. Like I've said before, the movie isn't necessarily bad but rather intrinsically different from it's TV counterpart. Some will enjoy the movie while others won't (such as myself,) but naturally the movie had to take some liberties considering how much content had to be condensed into an hour and a half.

Character-wise, the movie had it's own differences but Mai Nakahara didn't help any with her sub-par acting (in which I believe she improved on quite a bit in the TV series.) I can agree with Nagisa (I.e. - TV Series) being bland up to the end of the first season but the second season had such amazing subtle development. It might not have been substantial but it was certainly an impressive growth in character.

Aside from just the characters though, there were plenty of other areas where I felt the TV series did a much better job. Music and music placement is one that comes to mind right away and the comedy as well. Even so I have to admit the movie did do it's best with pacing.

Quote:
I'd watch the movie again just as a reminder of how awesome she is. A series rewatch would be a lot harder for me to stomach.
It's funny that you mention this. Actually Nagisa isn't all that different in the movie than she is in the TV series. The real difference lies in how her development was spread out in the second season of the TV series (subtlety) in contrast with her development from the movie (direct.)

"Aishiteru ~ I Love You"
DeX-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-14, 01:48   Link #414
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Nagisa carried the entire second season on her frail, small shoulders, ever after episode 16. The second statement is something you rarely see in any series.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-15, 00:49   Link #415
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Nagisa carried the entire second season on her frail, small shoulders, ever after episode 16. The second statement is something you rarely see in any series.
Nope, sorry, that was Ushio. If AS didn't have Ushio, S1 would definitely be better.
Old 2010-12-15, 17:20   Link #416
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I believe the only time Nagisa was not around in AS was about 1-2 episodes... Even after episode 16, she was mentioned from time to time to tell fans to remember Nagisa forever more. But Ushio is taking her place for the parts.
Old 2010-12-17, 12:32   Link #417
DasDingus
Dango Daikaizoku

Quote:
Nope, sorry, that was Ushio. If AS didn't have Ushio, S1 would definitely be better.
Episodes 17-21 of After Story were as much about Tomoya struggling with his regret about meeting Nagisa as anything. Ushio was merely a physical representation of his relationship with Nagisa. When Tomoya rejected Ushio and the Furukawa family it was his way of saying he wishes he never met Nagisa. He regretted all the pain he was going through due to his loss and pushed away everything that represented it.

His acceptance of Ushio was also his acceptance of everything he had gained during his time with Nagisa and his acceptance of his loss. He accepted Ushio and reconciled with his father both to avoid making the same mistakes his father made but also to allow Nagisa's legacy to live on. At the end of episode 18 we see Tomoya and Ushio facing Nagisa with Tomoya's voice over saying "Nagisa I found it. I finally found it. Something only I can protect. The precious thing only I can protect. It was right here." We see here that Tomoya's actions were influenced very much by Nagisa. It's his way of saying "I wasn't able to protect you, but I will continue to protect Ushio because that's what you would have wanted." Then in episode 22 Tomoya is rewarded for having the strength to accept his loss and not regretting meeting Nagisa on the hill by having her restored to him by Ushio through the light orbs.

My point is that, despite not being alive at the time, Nagisa was as important a character as Tomoya or Ushio or anyone else during those episodes of After Story.
Old 2010-12-18, 10:22   Link #418
SJCrew
Anachro-Romeo

True, Nagisa did have a profound impact on the series metaphysically, but the fact that they happened in the manifestation of Ushio and basically every situation surrounding her puts Ushio in the driving seat of the emotion for the second half of the series. I felt when Ushio cried and when she died. Nothing Nagisa did in the first half had a profound impact on me. I wasn't very happy when she died, though, I'll admit.

Tags
bishoujo, drama, key, movie, romance, school life, seinen, toei