AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2008-04-25, 22:27   Link #261
KrimzonStriker

Wait, didn't you hear the Emperor during the whole Ragnarök interruption before Lelouch agreed to the contract Var?
Old 2008-04-25, 23:10   Link #262
Ansa

Son of a...

NO ONE TOLD ME ORANGE IS CRISPEN FREEMAN!?

Seriously... the dub is now worth watching even if everyone sucks... oh god I can't wait for the orange scene... that's going to flipping awesome.

Well thus far, LULU's VA FAILS AT LIFE, seriously though he's not a bad VA but he's a horrible fit for Lulu's character he can't seem really evil, seriously hearing Lulu's speech at the end of ep 1 sent a bloody chill down my spine the first time I herd it, this made me laugh!

I wonder if they got anyone to be a good Kira in death note... if so please replace lulu's actor with someone that actually sounds evil.... wait I just herd his voice it fails as well (and no I haven't been keeping up with the DN dub XD)

Is their seriously no one in America that is capable at sounding evil yet young?
Ansa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-25, 23:27   Link #263
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

The voice actor for Light in DN is the guy who voiced Quatre in the dub for Gundam Wing. Besides, we have enough people constantly making these DN connections and I'm getting sick of it.

I think that is being a bit harsh on Johnny. He seems to be doing all right at the moment, he just needs more time.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Dann of Thursday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-25, 23:30   Link #264
KrimzonStriker

He's certainly got the evil laugh down >_>
Old 2008-04-25, 23:31   Link #265
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

The evil laugh is good yes and Johnny just needs to get that feel more with the whole character. I think he can do it.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, if you want to test a man's character give him power." - Abraham Lincoln
Old 2008-04-25, 23:33   Link #266
Var
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrimzonStriker View Post
Wait, didn't you hear the Emperor during the whole Ragnarök interruption before Lelouch agreed to the contract Var?
That was clearly being special effected so I ignored it. I want to hear his voice when he's making the speech.
Var is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-25, 23:38   Link #267
Dann of Thursday
WHERE'S...MY...COW????

Yes, the speech will be when we can see what the dub actor for the Emperor can do.

Old 2008-04-26, 01:34   Link #268
fruitcage
<3

lol I was hoping the announcer from the trailer would be the emperor. lol that deep commanding voice.
fruitcage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-26, 02:20   Link #269
Highman
Keep Pounding and Destroy

Send a message via AIM to Highman
The Dub was decent enough and for JYB VA's it needs to take more time to get through but definetely I think that the Dub pull it off in the first season waitingly I want to see what Nielson Boards stands on how many people watching Code Geass!

Last edited by Highman; 2008-04-26 at 02:21. Reason: Forgot misterpretations
Highman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-26, 04:48   Link #270
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Megan rocked as Viletta!

And KMG did a good job with Nina. I'm kinda worried how the table thing will proceed.

Also, the best part was with the soldiers saying "Yes, My Lord!" XD

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-26, 04:56   Link #271
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitcage View Post
lol I was hoping the announcer from the trailer would be the emperor. lol that deep commanding voice.
Yes, but it turned out to be Diethard. Doesn't matter, though. Jamieson Price is an awesome VA all around and he's a spot on choice for Diethard.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-26, 06:25   Link #272
Marioshinobi
The Traitor

Location: Burnaby, British columbia, Canada, Earth, Milky way Galaxy
Send a message via MSN to Marioshinobi
I'm sorry...but...

Rivul: 20 minutes if we bust our hump.

Kallen: " Bad@ss Mother "

Villeta made me melt, Orange needs to scream ZERRRROOOOO

Lloyd's not as creepy either, this voice sorta...makes him kinda cool. xD Less of a funny pudding Earl and more of a Dreamy Scientist with a fine accent.

Lelouch's line was pointless too " YOU SHOT HER! " No duh, but C.C.'s made more sense when she said " He musn't die" I liked.

I also liked how they sped up C.C. appearing Nakedly in the mind zone and then slowing down the two planets. Sorta funny how Dubs dislike nudity but they have to deal with Villetta x3

Ichigo-I mean Vash-I mean Kuhn-I mean Lelouch-I mean,hey I was right. Killed the last lines that made me love Lulu D:

Eh..I'm slightly on the negative side now, but I'll give it a few eps to see if they can manage. Least I'll watch it ep 24+25 because those were the most epic ones.

ALSO YURI SPIN KICK

Marioshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-26, 08:37   Link #273
Blue_Mercy
Veteran

Yeah, I heard Lelouch yesterday and was very disappointed. How does Bosch even get a job as a VA, he sounds the same in everything?
Blue_Mercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-26, 10:18   Link #274
Asrialys

*copy-paste what I posted elsewhere*

Bosch is usually hit-or-miss with me sometimes. I'm sure they already agreed that Lelouch's original deep voice is out of the question, so they just went for devious, which Bosch can do fine sometimes. We'll need to hear more later, like in the battle of episode 2.

Kallen's voice worried me after her first line. Sounded scratchy. But later on, it wasn't so. So it turned out fine. Wonder what it'll be like in later scenes when she isn't in battle-mode and acting like a normal school girl.

Need more of C.C. to make a better judgement. Other minor characters sounded fine.

Finally, Lloyd and Jeremiah's voices were awesome.

In regards to the script, some parts seemed unnatural because the line seemed too long for the lip movements. I think they tried to shorten the line as much as possible while keeping clarity. Ended up sounding a bit rushed. Heh, we can't really skip words in normal English speech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioshinobi View Post
I also liked how they sped up C.C. appearing Nakedly in the mind zone and then slowing down the two planets. Sorta funny how Dubs dislike nudity but they have to deal with Villetta x3
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Mercy View Post
Yeah, I heard Lelouch yesterday and was very disappointed. How does Bosch even get a job as a VA, he sounds the same in everything?
Don't take my word for it, but I think I read long ago that instead of altering his voice for his roles, he just tries to incorporate the appropriate persona into his own voice. Or something like that...
Old 2008-04-27, 01:50   Link #275
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Finished watching the first episode... This was the first time I found it painful to watch Code Geass, most certainly.

The voices that worked:
Random no-names...
Bartley
Diethard
Clovis

The rest were either "meh" or was painful to hear...
Lloyd didn't sound mad in a funny way anymore, just devious or something... Gag...

The ones that made me feel like smacking my head on the wall:
Shirley
Millay
Kallen's first line

Yeah, it was pretty bad to listen to. Luckily, the next episode is going to air soon, so I can wash away those dubs in my head with the Japanese ones.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-27, 03:07   Link #276
SpaceDrake
This Is Part Of The Plan

I'll say here what I've said elsewhere: there just isn't enough material here to pass judgment on the performances yet. The only one who got significant screen time is Lelouch, and even then the script calls for him to be bitter about his place in the world and not the towering magnificent bastard he is later on, so Bosch did OK. I'll grant that I'm skeptical as to whether or not Bosch can pull off that regal vocal presence that Jun Fukuyama accomplishes so famously in the original, but at the same time I'm not sure anyone can. Remember, Fukuyama is receiving praise and awards up to his neck for his portrayal of Lelouch; the man is probably on his way to becoming the next Megumi Hayashibara. He is a profoundly talented actor and it would be a challenge for anyone in any language to match his performance. I do not envy Bosch, or anyone, for having to play second fiddle on that score.

I liked everything else I heard, though there was just so little of each major character that it's so hard to critique at this stage. Even Strassman as Kallen has had less than a dozen lines so far, and Kate Higgins has had two monologues and an exclamation. We won't even be able to judge her performance until episode 5, at least, and the relationship between the two doesn't gain nuance until episode 12 or so.

I am pretty hopeful for Crispin Freeman as Jeremiah (the S1 finale is going to be absurd), and what I got of Liam O'Brien as Lloyd was surprisingly enjoyable. It's a radically different take on the character than the Japanese version but it worked very well. Even then, though, we need more material.

The next few episodes will be pretty hefty tests for Karen Strassman, Bosch and some of the resistance members.

My only real complaint about what everyone else is saying is, why are people angry about the portrayal of Shirley and Milly? Do I need to bust out some Japanese Shirley up in this joint?
SpaceDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-27, 03:42   Link #277
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceDrake View Post
My only real complaint about what everyone else is saying is, why are people angry about the portrayal of Shirley and Milly? Do I need to bust out some Japanese Shirley up in this joint?
That what I've been wondering as well. While they didn't stand out to me as "WOW AWESOME!", neither did they make me think they were terrible. I thought they were fine. The only difference in the english version is that Shirley doesn't sound like as ditzy like the in the japanese version (her ditziness made her cuter, expecially when she gets made fun of by the other council members ).
Old 2008-04-27, 03:51   Link #278
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

I thought this was a good dub. Only real complaint is how they keep saying Suzaku's name. Sue-zaaku, Sue-zaaku, God that's annoying.
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-27, 04:13   Link #279
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
I thought this was a good dub. Only real complaint is how they keep saying Suzaku's name. Sue-zaaku, Sue-zaaku, God that's annoying.
Who cares? It's an english dub. You have to expect English pronunciation. But I do find it strange. I really think that the English voice actors should watch the original Japanese version in order to get an idea of the ideal performance. I don't think they do, which puzzles me. What kind of director would overlook such a thing?
Old 2008-04-27, 04:13   Link #280
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

I must say, I'm getting to like the dubbing quite a lot from all fronts. Lloyd on the other hand, was PERFECT. That same annoying shrill is back! And I mean that as a good thing.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote