AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2010-07-10, 09:48   Link #1
ICEheaven102
Tui là người Viẹt!

Send a message via MSN to ICEheaven102

As you can see around my avatar, there is a white square. My file is a PNG (Which means there should be no white square and I used transparent when I was making my avatar in Photoshop.

I used this avatar in 2 other sites and there is no white square. It was transparent. Why is there a white square here? Please help.
Old 2010-07-10, 11:00   Link #2
xris
Just call me Ojisan

I suspect the following might be of use from a previous thread, Puzzling avatar problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish View Post
The server has an Resize Image option, currently enabled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum Help
This option will attempt to automatically resize image attachments that exceed the set dimensions for that specific image type. The image will be proportionately resized to the maximum dimensions for that image type. Resized images will be converted to JPG images to conserve space. Image types that can be resized depends on your server configuration. Resizing is as follows:
JPEG => JPEG
PNG => JPEG
GIF => JPEG
Unfortunately this setting does not appear to be avatar specific, so switching it off would disable all other image resizing (such as in the gallery and possibly other places). While disabling it might not be a bad idea, it is not something I am willing to change without some careful thought to the ramifications. For now, if the avatar looks different after you've uploaded it, check the file size, make sure it is within the limits and upload a new version if it is not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICEheaven102 View Post
As you can see around my avatar, there is a white square. My file is a PNG (Which means there should be no white square and I used transparent when I was making my avatar in Photoshop.

I used this avatar in 2 other sites and there is no white square. It was transparent. Why is there a white square here? Please help.
You say that the image is a PNG, currently your av is in GIF format. I suspect that your original is larger than 100 pixels (most likely higher than 100 pixels). When the image was saved on the AS server, due to the fact the PNG was larger (i.e. more than 100 pixels) it was resized to 100 pixels. Due to this, a white border was added to the sides of the image.

Please check the size (pixels and bytes) and make sure it is within the limits (which is 100 x 100 pixels and 50,000 bytes).

BTW, can I suggest you lose the annoying DeepSkyBlue font colour, it makes it difficult to read.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-10, 11:18   Link #3
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

As xris pointed out, if your avatar is even 1px over the limit or 1kb over the size limit it will get re-optimized. You can use a site like http://imageshack.us/ to show your avatar to us. We can then suggest a way to make it work.

On another note the .gif extension in avatars is mostly a forum bug. You're image is actually still a png if we check the mime type, it just happens that the forum outputs everything with a gif extension.
Old 2010-07-10, 12:44   Link #4
ICEheaven102
Tui là người Viẹt!

Send a message via MSN to ICEheaven102
Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
I suspect the following might be of use from a previous thread, Puzzling avatar problem

You say that the image is a PNG, currently your av is in GIF format. I suspect that your original is larger than 100 pixels (most likely higher than 100 pixels). When the image was saved on the AS server, due to the fact the PNG was larger (i.e. more than 100 pixels) it was resized to 100 pixels. Due to this, a white border was added to the sides of the image.

Please check the size (pixels and bytes) and make sure it is within the limits (which is 100 x 100 pixels and 50,000 bytes).

BTW, can I suggest you lose the annoying DeepSkyBlue font colour, it makes it difficult to read.
Thanks. I changed the size to 80x100.

(I'm also using Soviet Red now.)
ICEheaven102 is offline   Reply With Quote