AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-04-25, 20:23   Link #1001
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Are you sure about Ringo? One ep. showed her being ripped out of a dead robot's abdomen by Oji.

I'm still rooting for a sequel with Casshern returning to defend Ringo. She's legal. She's available. She's even wearing a white dress.
Old 2009-05-02, 13:39   Link #1002
Ottocycle

A question on a particular track. What track is that distinctive wistful piece featuring a duet between an oboe and a harp? An example of where it plays is during Janice and Casshern's conversation about halfway through episode 8.
Ottocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-02, 13:41   Link #1003
Hs Vi Germania
Please call me "senpai":)
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to Hs Vi Germania
The whole anime was bad.
The story was ok, not exciting. The characters not good, the ending senseless...
Old 2009-05-02, 14:49   Link #1004
the.Merines
Seeker of Power

Send a message via AIM to the.Merines Send a message via MSN to the.Merines
Quote:
Originally Posted by humbug23 View Post
A question on a particular track. What track is that distinctive wistful piece featuring a duet between an oboe and a harp? An example of where it plays is during Janice and Casshern's conversation about halfway through episode 8.
It's "Memory past", track 10 on the OST.
Old 2009-05-02, 15:35   Link #1005
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Yeah Merines is right. Whenever the anime plays it, they just have the first 30 seconds or so on repeat. That happens quite a lot with Wada pieces.
Old 2009-05-02, 20:53   Link #1006
Magallanes
Oshiete Happiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hs Vi Germania View Post
The whole anime was bad.
The story was ok, not exciting. The characters not good, the ending senseless...
The characters are retro-style, more likely Saint-Seiya.

And yes, the ending was pointless and left to many open questions.
Magallanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-03, 02:05   Link #1007
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

I'm fine with Ringo becoming a babe wearing a white dress like Luna.
Old 2009-05-03, 02:37   Link #1008
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

Marathoned this. It wasn't bad, definitely loved the retro style. I thought the characters were kinda hit or miss. Casshern was a blank at least until he stopped feeling regretful and confused. I wish we could have seen more of the righteously angry Casshern like he was in the last episode. I liked Lyuze, though not as much as some of you. Her reaction to realizing she loved Casshern was refreshing after so damn many tsundere or pathetic moe doormats. I hated Ringo, mostly just because I hate the Innocent archetype. So I was happy to see that she didn't become the new Luna. Oji served his wise mentor role fine.

Dio was more interesting when he was by himself, but Leda was more interesting when she was with Dio. As I never watched the original series, I didn't have any surges of nostalgia when Braiking Boss put on his hat, but his position as just a stranger who seemed very malignant was a nice touch. Luna, I think, was my favorite character, if only because there wasn't any time when she wasn't doing something senseless and without motivation. And those boots.

The story showed promised, but didn't deliver ultimately. So much was shoehorned into the last 6 episodes, but it was still delivered at the rate of one big shock per episode. Gasp! Luna is alive! Gasp! Luna is a bitch! Gasp, she deals life! No wait, she deals death! No wait, she deals life again! She and Casshern switched bloodBam, series over. I'm not the type of person who needs to have everything explained at the end of an anime, but felt that this was one of those where it would have been the better choice versus keeping everything cryptic and shrouded.

I don't know why so many anime equate having a child with humanity, and why you're not really alive unless you eventually die. Presumably pro-pregnancy propaganda in the face of their population crisis and something for all the beatdown salarymen, bored housewives, and disenfranchised youth to feel better about themselves?
Old 2009-07-18, 16:48   Link #1009
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...-sins-tv-anime

Looks FUNIs doing the NA distribution. The show's already in Australia and New Zealand in case any fans/viewers from the two countries haven't heard yet.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-18, 17:40   Link #1010
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I can quite honestly say this piece of news has made my entire year. I can't wait to own this series.

Blu-ray release please Funi.

Last edited by Shiroth; 2009-07-18 at 17:50.
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-18, 18:38   Link #1011
Kirarakim

A very nice and welcome surprise. I wish I had been there to hear the announcement.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-18, 19:02   Link #1012
kyouray
2D > 3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
I can quite honestly say this piece of news has made my entire year. I can't wait to own this series.
Blu-ray release please Funi.
Same here.
And Key animation or Art booklet as bonus
Old 2009-07-18, 20:30   Link #1013
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Blu-ray so far is released in Japan FYI.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-07, 12:46   Link #1014
oompa loompa

This show was incredible. All I have to say on the matter. I've looked.. so long, for a show that deals with life and death as its main theme. And, despite what people say, I really think it delivered.

Spoiler for :

And godamit ringo was actually cute.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-07, 13:19   Link #1015
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Yeah, great show, many point can analyzed more further, n when you understand all of its you'll appreciate this series more n more.
Old 2010-09-07, 13:44   Link #1016
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
NOTICE
This is a novel of a review. Do not read if you don’t like long explanations.
Do not bitch if you disagree. I am stating my opinion as objectively as I can.

PROLOGUE
- The series is a remake of a much older series of the 70’s. The original was pretty standard stuff in terms of story. Machines rebel and conquer humanity and the son of the inventor of the machines turns into a powerful cyborg and fights in order to save humanity from extinction. Got the basics? Well, you can now forget them in the remake. This feels more like an entirely different story with a few names and character designs working simply as cameos and tributes to the original. In this one, it’s not good humans versus bad robots and Luna is not the hero’s girlfriend.
- Anyway, if you care for a quick look on the original, there is a set of 4 OVAs, simply titled Casshan that will fill all questions about the source material. It is somewhat of a more dramatic Power Rangers with humans and robots having hints of shades of gray in terms of personality.

ART SECTION: 8/10 [The Horobi is everywhere…]

General Artwork 2/2: Hell, it is so stylized that it feels more like modern art than anime backgrounds. An endless wasteland with water and flowerbeds being contrasts. Initially, it felt like Fist of the North Star but eventually it is very artistic and conveys feelings of fear and unrest much easier.

Character Figures 2/2: Well, they look as if they jumped out of a 70’s series (weird hairdo, huge eyes, simple body lining). This is positive in two ways since it does make them to easily stand out from the norm of recent series and even makes them appealing to retro-lovers. They have a cute-looking design that makes a huge contrast with the bleakness in the story. It is an effect that increases the emotional impact on you by many-fold. It is a neat trick; even the ridiculous Elfen Lied cast felt dramatic because of the kawai way the girls were drawn.

Backgrounds/ Animation/ Visual Effects 4/6: As for the rest of the sub-sections, they are more or less good. The lack of real detail and the repetitive wastelands may tire at times, but the contrast of water and flowers, along with flare and overexposed film effects really break the monotony and bring you back up into watching. The motion in frames is generally good, although it does have its share of huge static pictures.

SOUND SECTION: 8/10 [And now I will explain everything…]

Voice Acting 2/3: Very good in all. There are no too ridiculous pinches in the series. Most of the characters do sound immature and silly like spoiled kids every now and then, but this is done purely in order to point their unawareness during their quest for salvation in a dying world. Plus, it made their youthful way of talking to provide an antithesis with the grim atmosphere and thus increase the emotional impact on the viewer’s ears. What does ruin this fondness are the loooong monologues. Everyone talks for several minutes and anything else he/she does seems to have no effect on the story. So, it is a series of monologues and immature-sounding characters listening quietly and then questioning the talker. It does become tiresome at times, as some things are better to be shown instead of just being told.

Music Themes 3/4: Ok, nice to hear. The opening and ending songs are elegiac to the point of a hate/love relationship but in no case you will not notice them. They convey the feeling they aim to convey, so they are successful. No out of place pop songs. Still, they are not songs I will ever hum when I feel bored…

Sound Effects 3/3: Ok, the sound of rusty metal crumbling in the wind will scar you for good. All the sounds in the series aim to make you feel dread and unrest. And boy, they succeed with flying colors. Water drops on pools, walking on rubble, fabrics flapping on the scorching wind… You name it. They sure made me turn the lights on.

STORY SECTION: 6/10 [The meaning of life, defined by the sight of surrounding death]

General Scenario/Believability/Reasoning/Realism 4/4: Ah, in the piles of trash we are given every year, and with crapish series like Sky Girls gaining more room every day, this one truly is a jewel in the midst of a trash yard. Metaphorically, the hero in the story is the only creature not rotting away like everyone else, so in a way it really makes a parallel.

In the story, the world is overrun by robots but is dying from a decease that slowly rusts robots. The protagonist, Casshan, wakes up with amnesia and is told that everything is his fault, as he killed the source of all life, Luna. Now, everyone wants to kill him, as there is a rumor, which states that the one who devours him will be cured from the decease, and gain eternal life. So, Casshan begins a journey of self-acknowledgement, in order to escape his pursuers and find the missing parts in his memory. Wherever he is going, he encounters death and decay, people who have gotten insane because of the inevitable death or have accepted their doom and await their end.

As you can imagine, the story revolves around death. Death in all its forms and its effects on living creatures, who know that they will soon die. For you see, robots in the series are treated as living. They used to be ageless and not afraid of death and now are facing extinction and have turned into all sorts of madmen and philosophical blabbers. As for humans, well, they are practically extinct; with a few individuals remaining that have a seemingly futile purpose to fulfill; yet it is the only thing that keeps them willing to remain alive.

So, the general idea behind the series is fantastic, as almost no other anime ever bothered dealing with a taboo theme like death in such multi-layered ways. The norm is usually some spunky teenager with high ideals aiming to save the world, become the best in the field and bring peace and happiness to all. Well, forget all that idealistic clichés; this one is truly gloomy and depressing. Yet in the end of the day it tries to shine upon the beauty of life by pointing out its ephemeral duration. You don’t appreciate life if you are not afraid or aware of death.

So sure, the thrill of dealing with the upcoming death and even oblivion makes the story of this anime really something. Every episode features a situation where someone deals with death in his own way and thus giving a meaning to his otherwise fade of existence.

Pacing / Side Stories 1/4: Ok, enough with the good part. Let’s deal with the bad parts. The series is almost entirely episodic. Most episodes feature characters you will never see again. That does give a feeling of pointlessness on the part of the hero’s struggle, as everything he does doesn’t really pay off. Ok, maybe the purpose of the series really is about doing things that don’t pay off in the long term. Still, only 6 out of the 24 episodes feature an on-going story, and even those offer it with a spoon. Meaning, if you don’t fancy really slow plot and seemingly events that have nothing to add to the story then you will most likely get bored with it pretty soon, as I did.

Some may say that the slow plot aims at absorbing you into the world and giving you the time to identify yourself with the tragedy of the characters. Still, 24 episodes were waaaaaaaaay to many for such a thing. And anyway, I never felt that the main lead could be defeated in battle. It is revealed pretty fast that he is immortal and thus, incapable of loosing. Something that all others are not and thus can be defeated if the lead keeps trying to beat them. That made all battles anti-climactic and unnecessary.

Then, there is the thing with repetitiveness on the part of the plot. Almost every episode features the same form of development. Some pretty lady or weak people are attacked by crazed robots, who pretty much kill for fun. Casshan will jump out of thin air, defeat the robots and listen to the worries of the ones he saved. After a long monologue full of existentialism issues, a spar will follow where no matter who wins, the fight ends with more monologues and Casshan going away. Next episode; repeat process…

Well, that kind of makes this anime to feel as repetitive as Pokemon. Although it does give you more insight on the parts of the characters and the tragic fate of the world, it still remains repetitive. If you like twists in the formula, you will not find any. If you expect a character to return in another episode, he pretty much won’t. Thus, in terms of plot, the series is very repetitive and simple with the meaning behind monologues to be the thing that really matters.

So, in other words, forget the action. All the battles offer nothing to the story. They either end with a character sparing with Casshan and leaving “because it’s not the time” or Casshan beating robot mooks in a Fist of the North Star fashion. Also, forget about the plot. It is almost the same in every episode. Just listen to the monologues. It’s the only thing that really matters. If you like this sort of thing, then you will like the series a lot more than I did. I for once expect fast pace and plot twists at every corner. Too much blah, blah, is not my cup of tea.

Conclusion 1/2: Thus, it finally comes to an end in episode 24. Was it fulfilling? I am not sure. Nothing was left unresolved and yet nothing was clear of what was the fate of all the characters who remained alive. Because, duh, many did die so you don’t need to know anything more about them. Although the ending explains what followed the events of the series (in a long monologue as usual) it still didn’t mention what did the characters do. It is bittersweet and fulfilling on an emotional level, yet on a plot-wise level it feels open to interpretation and does leave room for a sequel. So, it is a mixed bag.

CHARACTER SECTION: 7/10 [Luna, I will kill you.]

Personality 1/2: You don’t live if you believe you are immortal. I mean, you don’t really care in series like Dragonball Z or One Piece about the fate of its characters. Because they can never be killed or even if they do, they can simply be resurrected; thus having an unlimited time of trying and empowering they will eventually beat the bad guy and save the day. In this series, everyone who dies, pretty much remains dead. Plus, they will all die very soon if a solution is not found, so they do not have limitless time to do so. This is the basic reason all the characters in the series have very extreme goals that seem ridiculous to people who are not aware of their upcoming doom. Thus, all the characters act in very crazy and extreme ways and for once, it is excused.

You do feel compassion and understanding about them because you know they can die at any moment and their actions are their personal ways of feeling alive and leaving their mark in the world as means of not be forgotten; of not being as if they never existed. It is truly marvelous to see how someone can deal with such issues under the pressure of doom and decay. Something you would never feel about a character like Ash Ketcham and his quest to catch Pokemon / win Badges, as he is ageless and his existence is pretty much a false circle of doing things that he forgets by the next episode and beating Rocket team, which returns on the next episode like nothing happened.

Still, there is a part were most don’t notice in stories. In this series the characters behave more like plot elements rather than living, breathing people. They are more of anthropomorphic personifications (sic) of certain emotions and ideas rather than complicating personalities. They are all fixed on a certain goal, which kind of makes them 2-dimensional. Oh, sure, they usually change opinions when they talk or fight Casshan. Still, it’s more like they are questioning their beliefs before performing a U turn to their initial goals. Or, hell, just keep doing what they were planning on doing anyway. Anyway, it feels too polarized by the end of the day. It’s either left or right. No middle choices. This is kind of excused by the episodic nature of the series. In fact, the general feeling of the series is pretty polarized by default; so it is an accepted fact. Life or death, struggle or acceptance, truth or oblivion… Still, it is an element I dislike in characters.

Presence & Backdrop 3/4: Although the characters show a multitude of emotions that makes them far more than just caricatures with a signature special attack or personality quirk, they are still pretty easy to understand (in a bad way). Especially the mook robot warriors; they were copies of one another. Idiots, smashing things for fun and fighting opponents that are obviously incapable of defeating. Still, this is not a series that tries to confuse you with scheming, multi-faced, multi-layered characters. It offers simple to understand and bind with characters. Even the backdrop stories of everyone are rather simple. They are a mystery at first (which lures you to be curious and pay attention) but through some dialogue it is revealed in a quite simple to understand way; so you immediately know what is what with them.

Development & Catharsis 3/4: Well, the series generally does a good job rounding up the cast. By the end of it, everything there was to be said about them is more or less said and done. No real unfinished business for the main cast. Yet, many secondary characters are present only for one episode, so there is no real catharsis for them. More like stating their reason for being and them letting them keep doing it, while fading in the background. As for the ones who die, they seem to acquire catharsis because they accept thing as they are… just because they are dying. It feels like death is panacea for all your worries in the series; something that contradicts most of the goals in the cast who pretty much struggles in order to survive. Plus, even those who do make it to the end, you are left to imagine through a dialogue what has happened to them.

VALUE SECTION: 6/10 [Value your life by killing others.]
Historical Value 1/3: Nothing much.
Memorability 4/4: It does stand out from the lot. It does make you think. It does leave you with lasting impressions and images and does manage to make you notice/remember its cast.
Rewatchability 1/3: But the chances or rewatching the whole thing are low for me. The theme and plot repeat themselves a lot more than they should, thus nothing much is left to be understood better by a second viewing. Plus, most people stay away from depressing anime so one time will be lasting and enough for the majority.

ENJOYMENT SECTION: 5/10 [Hate the book, enjoy the text]
- I did enjoy the aesthetic part of the series. I also loved the messages about the greatness of life by accepting death. Yet, the repetitive plot and the anti-climactic battles really made me feel bored half the time. This is not an action series and should never be watched by action lovers. Still, watching the same things repeating again and again did feel like the scriptwriters just rehashed the storyboard in every episode and simply changed the dialogues. As for the peak of interest, it was more like “and now I will explain everything with another monologue” than some huge confrontation of wits and brawns.
- This is a series of monologues. Everything is told and not shown. You can get what it tries to pass to you without even looking at the screen. Just listening to the monologues and the eerie sounds is enough. So, it misses the balance of mystery/action/revelations I love seeing in anime.

VERDICT: 6.5 / 10
If you don’t fall asleep by listening to the monologues, you will like it. If you expect a twist or a brawling or an epic conclusion, you won’t.

SUGGESTION LIST
Casshern (the live action movie, one of the few sci-fi movies that outshine their anime version)
Blue Gender
Soul Taker
Seikano
Melody of Oblivion
100 Stories
Bounen no Xamdou

Last edited by roriconfan; 2011-02-25 at 06:44.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-10, 14:41   Link #1017
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Heartcatch Precure needs to be on that suggestion list.
Old 2011-01-31, 18:47   Link #1018
tyciol
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Merines View Post
キャシャーン SINS
Casshern SINS

Genre: sci-fi
Adaptation/remake of the 1973 series "Shinzo Ningen Casshan."
Cool since this was licensed I guess I'll watch the 3 eps of the original which are done so far: http://www.animesuki.com/series.php/1767.html
tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-13, 12:48   Link #1019
j0x
Giga Drill Breaker

casshern sins is a good watch although sometimes its so slow pace youll get bored, and most of the robots are just shouting "kill casshern, devour casshern" lol, but overall an enjoyable series for its action because the story is a sad one
j0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-13, 22:22   Link #1020
potchip

I haven't finished the series yet but I'd like to comment on the mindless robots that tries to attack Casshern every episode:

These are deranged after learning of their fate (eventual death) and went insane. What's that saying about condition of insanity is repeating the same thing and never learning? Perhaps it is too much of a shock to robots, who expected to live forever, to learn that they can die. So instead of live in the moment, the robots became fixated on the possibility of cheating death.

Does Casshern cease to live when he cannot die? Not necessarily, especially given the opposite can be seen from the other robots - they ceased to live when they learnt they will die.

Humans on the other hand are born with this knowledge.
potchip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
madhouse