AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-09, 06:29   Link #21
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
yeah, it looks pretty bad doesn't it... haha. but in my defense, we don't know who he's actively thinking about yet.
Honestly this comes off as grasping at straws.
Old 2011-05-09, 06:41   Link #22
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
I'll be honest here, despite what I said in the spoilers thread, that I'm in favor of the Tooru x Ohana pairing mainly because they're really interesting together. Also, there's been quite a few signs of him taking initiative, as .x.crii.x. mentioned before. The first time was when he asked her to help him out with the garbage when he didn't really need her in the first place. Also, his general attittude to tease her around and her reaction prolly makes her more interesting compared to anyone else *coughminkocough* and that's also what makes them more interesting as a pair.

Compare that with Ko, you would get a pretty intimate but overall not so interesting pair since Ko is generally very subtle and devious in his manner, and that's what had caused a lack of connection between them before. I'm in doubt that part of Ko would change anytime soon. So generally speaking, I find Tooru very interesting as a character compared to the others. He's got a badmouth, acts like a douche, but is a good douche nonetheless. I really liked him when he was giving Ohana the talk in the van, asking her if she really thought she was so amazing that she could do everything herself. Whether or not they end up together, I really liked it when he said that to her because it really helped her see just how she was trying too hard to rely on herself and overlooking the others. He contributed a lot to the main character as a whole.
Old 2011-05-09, 15:32   Link #23
.x.crii.x.
To the beat//

I just gotta say, after all these hints we've been getting...if Tooru doesn't like Ohana...I might just lose faith in all the knowledge of anime I've gathered in all my years of watching it.

Old 2011-05-09, 20:26   Link #24
Sugarless Ocean
Ms. Procrastinator

Quote:
yeah, it looks pretty bad doesn't it... haha. but in my defense, we don't know who he's actively thinking about yet.
Which is why I'm worried. :/

But lol I'm glad to see that a lot of people are somewhat leaning towards OhanaxTooru. I really hope Mari Okada likes to please fans (I got that feeling after episode 3...) since I think most of them ship that couple.
Old 2011-05-09, 20:59   Link #25
Shadow5YA

Not me... I want my Ko and Ohana couple. It took a lot of guts for him to confess like that given his personality, but he still did. It'd be stupid for him to become irrelevant later when the story made an effort of keeping him important to Ohana, even when he could have faded away after she moved away from Tokyo.
Old 2011-05-09, 21:17   Link #26
Sugarless Ocean
Ms. Procrastinator

I don't think confessing your love at the last minute when the girl you like is moving away can be considered a lot of guts. After all, he was planning on staying close to Ohana and letting her realize it on her own.

But yeah, I think you're right about Ko-chan being relevant. He'll probably appear later on in the future episodes.

Ah, this post has nothing to do with the topic. Well, I'm going to have to change that. :P

QUESTION!! : What was your first impression of Miyagishi Tooru-san?! Looks, personality, or all of the above?
Old 2011-05-09, 21:25   Link #27
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarless Ocean View Post
Which is why I'm worried. :/

But lol I'm glad to see that a lot of people are somewhat leaning towards OhanaxTooru. I really hope Mari Okada likes to please fans (I got that feeling after episode 3...) since I think most of them ship that couple.
Really? I get the sense that most fans are horrified at the idea of an Ohana/Tohru pairing.

I think Mari-san probably has this plotted out all the way anyway, though, so I don't think it makes too much difference either way...
Old 2011-05-09, 21:25   Link #28
.x.crii.x.
To the beat//

My impression:

Looks - "Omg, he's so hot. Totally my type. -drools over him-"
Personality- "Hmm, hmmmm...he seems like the type to scold and act uncaring but in reality he's a huge softie on the inside."
Above all- "Tooru, why are you so awesome, you? "

xD;;

EDIT: I don't really think TooruxOhana horrifies fans. From all the reviews and forums I've seen, about 80% of people support TxO.
Old 2011-05-09, 21:37   Link #29
Sugarless Ocean
Ms. Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo
I think Mari-san probably has this plotted out all the way anyway, though, so I don't think it makes too much difference either way...
Really? But this link says that different people are working on the script;

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...e.php?id=11795
Old 2011-05-09, 22:51   Link #30
Chandalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Really? I get the sense that most fans are horrified at the idea of an Ohana/Tohru pairing.

Put me in the list of "oh god I hope it doesn't happen."
Old 2011-05-10, 00:26   Link #31
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarless Ocean View Post
Really? But this link says that different people are working on the script;

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...e.php?id=11795
When writer with a lot of creative control like Mari Okada is in charge, it's most likely that the plot is set in stone, start to finish. There are different people working on the script, but that's probably a matter of dialogue and stage direction. There were other people working on scripts for Madoka but I don't really think anyone besides Gen Urobuchi was making the decisions about what happened with the plot.
Old 2011-05-10, 00:26   Link #32
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

I'm definitely a Ohana/Ko shipper. I get the feeling that most fans want this too. I don't know how big of a deal having certain people staff a show for japanese people, but if people actively watch this because of Okada, then they'll probably expect it to end like True Tears, where the "right" couple ends up together.

my first impression was, "wow, paworks made a very good looking guy in this show. no homo."

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2011-05-10, 17:52   Link #33
Sugarless Ocean
Ms. Procrastinator

Quote:
When writer with a lot of creative control like Mari Okada is in charge, it's most likely that the plot is set in stone, start to finish. There are different people working on the script, but that's probably a matter of dialogue and stage direction. There were other people working on scripts for Madoka but I don't really think anyone besides Gen Urobuchi was making the decisions about what happened with the plot.
Okay, I stand corrected.

When I saw Tooru in the opening, I was thinking "Hmm, he looks interesting... He's probably has that mean but soft personality that I love " I swear there's one in every anime.
Old 2011-05-11, 05:23   Link #34
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
I'm definitely a Ohana/Ko shipper. I get the feeling that most fans want this too. I don't know how big of a deal having certain people staff a show for japanese people, but if people actively watch this because of Okada, then they'll probably expect it to end like True Tears, where the "right" couple ends up together.
The majority of people who watched TT will disagree with you regarding that "right" couple comment
Old 2011-05-11, 10:30   Link #35
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejem View Post
The majority of people who watched TT will disagree with you regarding that "right" couple comment
I disagree about that "majority" comment...
Old 2011-05-11, 11:41   Link #36
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
I disagree about that "majority" comment...
I agree with his majority comment.

True Tears didn't end with the right couple at all, imo...

That being said, I could live with either Ko/Ohana or Tooru/Ohana.
Old 2011-05-11, 13:46   Link #37
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejem View Post
that's false. a very large plot point was the parallelism between Shin's experience and the experience of his father. third wheel loses both times. how much you like a character should impact how much you want a character to win, but it shouldn't impact the correctness of who won.

i don't think that Tooru will end up being like that though.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...t=61610&page=3

take but lets take it here ^^ and i'll battle you all day, every day, defending how TT ended.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2011-05-11, 14:08   Link #38
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
that's false. a very large plot point was the parallelism between Shin's experience and the experience of his father. third wheel loses both times.
And what exactly determines who's the "third wheel"? There's no universal standard there at all.

Also, exact parallelism between father and son isn't necessarily something to be lauded, nor does it really make any grand point in and of itself. Some in fact may call it lazy and/or predictable writing...

Quote:
how much you like a character should impact how much you want a character to win, but it shouldn't impact the correctness of who won.
Not always, but in this case, I argue that who I wanted to end up in the final romance is also who should have been there in the end. It would have been the correct way for it to end off, imo.

Quote:
and i'll battle you all day, every day, defending how TT ended.

TT ended horribly and with the wrong pairing, as far as I'm concerned.

However, that's an off-topic discussion for this thread, and hence I'll PM you about it.
Old 2011-05-11, 16:37   Link #39
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I agree with his majority comment.

True Tears didn't end with the right couple at all, imo...

That being said, I could live with either Ko/Ohana or Tooru/Ohana.
TT ended with exactly the right couple - one of the few romance series to do so. But yes, that's OT for these parts so I'll leave it there...

TT was very different from this show, no matter which girl you liked - same writer or not. Romance was the raison d'etre of TT - it was a relationship show. It almost had to have some sort of definitive pairing or it wouldn't have had an ending. Here, romance is at best a side plot - at least for now - and perhaps will never become a significant part of the story. I hope people aren't too disappointed if it ends with no pairing at all.

But if it does - I'm rooting for Ko...
Old 2011-05-11, 16:56   Link #40
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

Quote:

But if it does - I'm rooting for Ko...
You and everyone else watching. haha. which isn't to say Tooru is a bad character, but it wouldn't be proper. In fact, i like him as a character, as he as an ability to get people moving, so to speak.

What's funny about the reactions to TT is that it aired at the same time as Macross F, and we all know how that went down..

Closed Thread

Tags
characters