AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-05-21, 00:34   Link #81
wrex_japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by highflyer52287 View Post
Apologies if I overstepped in that reply. Simply meant to say that under that assumption, having something that might be a little too advanced under American pretenses migt not be so for the Japanese.
It's even possible that young people watching this today may not catch the anachronisms, and it's hard to know what technologies the Japanese may have had... for examples, they had vending machines of all kinds for quite a while. However, I think the technological advances the Japanese had over Western countries happened more beginning in the late 70s. Even so, I think Japan may have been only about 3 to 5 years ahead.

In the beginning, Skull Man had a feeling like it was in the 60s... like the old looking train that Hayato rode in on. Yet in the city of Ootomo, some things look more modern, such as the monorail in episode 4 and the card that I mentioned. But maybe we can explain away those things as developments done by the Ootomo labs... after all, those monsters may be the result of advanced biotechnological experiments.
wrex_japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-21, 03:29   Link #82
BluWacky
尻の竜

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrex_japan View Post
I have a summary written up for my blog, but I'm waiting for a high definition RAW to make screencaps (I have an analog recording on my computer).

Spoiler:
There have been monorails around since the 50s at least; Wikipedia (that fountain of truth) says that Tokyo has had one since the early 60s. I'm not sure about it looking "too modern" myself, but I think perhaps the CG makes it look "shinier" than it might otherwise have done.

I'm reserving judgement on this one until I've watched it again as Skull Man's quite hard for me to follow with my terrible Japanese. I would say, though, that...

Spoiler:
BluWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-21, 07:12   Link #83
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

There was also a pager in ep. 1. Wiki said that those things were popular in 80's and 90's.
Old 2007-05-21, 09:37   Link #84
wrex_japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluWacky View Post
There have been monorails around since the 50s at least; Wikipedia (that fountain of truth) says that Tokyo has had one since the early 60s. I'm not sure about it looking "too modern" myself, but I think perhaps the CG makes it look "shinier" than it might otherwise have done.

I'm reserving judgement on this one until I've watched it again as Skull Man's quite hard for me to follow with my terrible Japanese. I would say, though, that...

Spoiler:
Ep. 4 screencaps and summary.

Spoiler:

Anybody study Nietzsche?
wrex_japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-21, 09:45   Link #85
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

I am eagerly waiting for ep 1 ( ? ) to release ep 0 got me hooked on . Really nice story big fan already : )
Old 2007-05-21, 10:09   Link #86
orion

But ep. 1 was already released.
Old 2007-05-21, 10:34   Link #87
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
But ep. 1 was already released.
There was no torrent listing and when I checked the series section even the name is not present . Is it Licensed already ?

Series
Old 2007-05-21, 10:44   Link #88
KashOut
Master of my Ancients

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta Boshi View Post
There was no torrent listing and when I checked the series section even the name is not present . Is it Licensed already ?

Series

Actually, it is there. Look under T:

The Skull Man
KashOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-21, 10:47   Link #89
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by KashOut View Post
Actually, it is there. Look under T: The Skull Man
Ooh wears a silly hat and sits in the corner I checked the series section with the thread title -Skull Man -

Quote:
Yeah! Ep. 0 got subbed. Thanks Makoto.
I dont follow the manga whats Ep 0 ? That the reason I felt Ep 1 was the concurrent Ep : )
Old 2007-05-21, 12:22   Link #90
the.Merines
Seeker of Power

Send a message via AIM to the.Merines Send a message via MSN to the.Merines
Episode 0 was a live-action prologue to introduce the "Skull Man" character and possibly a number of subplots which may or may not be important to the story.
Old 2007-05-21, 13:06   Link #91
orion

I bet ep. 4's train is also the train in the prologue.

Edit: Watched ep. 4....

Spoiler for ep. 4:

Last edited by orion; 2007-05-21 at 13:43.
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-23, 00:42   Link #92
highflyer52287

Does anyone know where to find the subbed versions of Skull Man? Someone mentioned earlier that www.utsukushii-studio.org/ was doing it but everytime that I try going to it, they say they're down for maintenance. Is anyone else doing it or am I stuck until Shinsen Subs feels like carrying on past one episode?
highflyer52287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-24, 21:24   Link #93
ssfsx17

Episode 3 has been fansubbed.

I'm thinking that the cult that gives out those winged pendants is a front for the organization that injects people with the monster serum. Maybe its part of their initiation process?

EDIT: Episode 4 has also been subbed. That old guy seems to have the same omnipresence ability as Rena and Tetsurou. Maybe he is also an associate of the true Skull Man?

Last edited by ssfsx17; 2007-05-25 at 01:54.
ssfsx17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-25, 03:29   Link #94
hipeach

this must be the best series of this season. awesome!
hipeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-25, 09:24   Link #95
orion

Spoiler for ep.4:
Old 2007-05-26, 03:10   Link #96
thieniscool

But the real question is... who's skull man? I mean, if you look in the intro, when skull man's mask is taken off, doesn't the face look like Hayato? O.o;;;;
thieniscool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-26, 04:13   Link #97
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
I bet ep. 4's train is also the train in the prologue.

Edit: Watched ep. 4....

Spoiler for ep. 4:
wow i quite like this theory and i do see it working O.o

poor Sayo though...she went in a poetic sorta way

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-27, 03:24   Link #98
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Ep5

I'm kinda confused about the relationship of each characters now.
The show is very... cryptic, and all the conversations are nothing but symbolic and cryptic as hell.

Spoiler:

Last edited by aohige; 2007-05-27 at 03:34.
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-27, 23:16   Link #99
monir
cho~ kakkoii

I'm completely sold on this series after watching episode 3. One of the best feature of this series is how casually the violence have been taking place. There is no fan faring, so it always a bit startling... or at least for me anyway. The execution in the station at episode is one such example. And was there a hint of incest in this episode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige
The show is very... cryptic, and all the conversations are nothing but symbolic and cryptic as hell.
Agreed! To me that is an attractive quality to have in a show which usually contributes to the anticipation a viewer might held for the following week's episode. Some of the best books on suspense/mystery/action I've read are written in the 70's. Symbolism mixed with vaguery, shrouded by mystery seemed to have been a common theme a lot of the books that I've read from that particular decade. Not surprisingly, this story also was written in that era though I haven't read it. On a somewhat related note, Bourne Supremacy will be out in theaters next month which is based on another series of novel which was written in the 70's.

P.S. Excellent job subbing this show, Makoto! Keep up the good work.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-27, 23:42   Link #100
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Agreed! To me that is an attractive quality to have in a show which usually contributes to the anticipation a viewer might held for the following week's episode.
It normally is, and it was one of the things that attracted me to this show.
It didn't bother me till episode 5, when all the conversations seems to be speaking gibberish, without any coherent content.

Wait till you see that episode subbed, and still have a big ? bouncing over your head.

Thankfully, because the protagonist is an uneducated dimwit who doesn't seem to understand even the simplest of explanation, hopefully all this will be explained in plain language in the future episodes so that the main character... as well as the audience... will have a clue as to what the heck happened.