AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

Old 2007-04-01, 11:00   Link #61
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

The lesson of Code Geass? Care to explain it (briefly, either here or through PM if you want)? I'm curious about it, although I don't really see any close similarty with Code Geass except the fact that they're both shounen type of shows (although this one feels a lot more fast-paced than the average).
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-01, 11:14   Link #62
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
The lesson of Code Geass is that a show can be bombastic and stupid, and at the same time, be fun.

Or sometimes it can't.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-01, 11:15   Link #63
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet View Post
The lesson of Code Geass is that a show can be bombastic and stupid, and at the same time, be fun.

Or sometimes it can't.
Yeah, but this show isn't as stupid or campy as Code Geass. Hell, it's way more coherent most of the time.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-01, 11:19   Link #64
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

You'd better actually watch the episode before saying that "this show isn't ... campy".

Not to sound condescending, but you either didn't watch it or completely missed every cue.
Old 2007-04-01, 11:21   Link #65
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

I see. Well it certainly does make sense.
Although I feel Gurren-Lagann might prove to be even more "silly" (in a good way), if the staff is going to adopt the same animation style and storytelling that they've adopted for Diebuster (which I liked).
Old 2007-04-01, 11:22   Link #66
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
You'd better actually watch the episode before say that "show isn't ... campy".

Not to sound condescending, but you either didn't watch it or completely missed every cue.
It's really campy, I've watched it, just not as much as newer Code Geass, although Geass may be better defined by another word which I don't remember right now. :P

Also, they're surely going the DieBuster route as both were heavily based on classic anime concepts, like EFFORT AND GUTS or FUN UNREALISTIC SUPER ROBOTS.
Old 2007-04-01, 11:28   Link #67
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Sure, there's a lot of DORYOKU TO KONJOU and the beginning of Gunbuster was also rather childish (robots doing callisthenics), so maybe Gurren-Lagann will also develop a more mature streak.

We'll see.
Old 2007-04-01, 11:48   Link #68
Crystal_Method
I want dreads...
*Artist

Just watched the first episode. To be honest I hope it doesn't change into a more mature anime too much. Actually, as long as there is still a good amount of humor, I really don't care.
Old 2007-04-01, 12:38   Link #69
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Well I'm sure it will mature in time, like Eureka 7 did (sort of) but hopefully not at the expense of fun. Sure Kamina did camp it up something rotten (and was great all the way) but I would hesitate to call the first episode childish. Silly yes, but I'd be quite happy for it to remain so as long as it doesn't exhaust its sense of humour or become too repetitive.

Yet the prologue did hint at something bigger more dramatic to come...
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-01, 12:42   Link #70
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

I had the feeling that the character in the prologue could be

Spoiler for silly speculation:
Old 2007-04-01, 13:17   Link #71
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou View Post
I had the feeling that the character in the prologue could be

Spoiler for silly speculation:
Yep, I think you're right...

Spoiler:
Old 2007-04-01, 13:30   Link #72
BluWacky
尻の竜

Quote:
The first episode was exactly as I expected: fun, well-animated and very childish.

The shounen pathos and bombast was done superbly, but this is not my cup of tea. I don't expect to be following it too closely, although, having learned the lesson of Code Geass, I won't be abandoning it out of hand either.

I'll see how it develops at arm's length.
I have to agree with you on this one. Admittedly, I was quite biased against it from the start; I'm not a fan of Gainax's school of over-the-top everything anime, and I'd already decided I wasn't really that interested from the synopses etc.

It's really nicely animated/directed/storyboard, it's very stylish and definitely looks great in pretty much every way. Somehow it just irritated me, though; I didn't have any immediate connection with any of the characters, and it just feels too...well, Gainax-y.

As long as the plot doesn't meander in filler wasteland too much and the production quality keeps up I think there's a lot of potential here for a good show, just not one that I'd particularly want to watch. It just reminds me of too many shows I haven't enjoyed for me to want to continue watching it.
BluWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-01, 14:42   Link #73
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Well, so far I think we all agree, after having seen this first episode, that it was a fun ride anyway. I am not expecting this show to be a masterpiece or a groundbreaking production, but if it'll stay like this during the rest of the serie it's enough for me to watch it and enjoy it without any big deal behind.
Old 2007-04-01, 17:25   Link #74
7Th
Mixtape

Here’s what I promised, the stupid longer Gurren Lagann review no-one will read. Under the spoiler for space consciousnesses. :P

Spoiler:

On a side note:

According to a post in the production blog a month ago they had already finished episode 13 voice recording and had the storyboards ready until episode 24, so I’ve got hopes of them keeping this quality up for at least most of their run, and if things go as I expect we have without any doubt a really exciting ride awaiting for us.
Old 2007-04-01, 18:32   Link #75
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post
Yep, I think you're right...

Spoiler:

Well...

Spoiler:

That was a fun episode.
Old 2007-04-01, 18:55   Link #76
Scribble
Sloth

Send a message via MSN to Scribble
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
While it sure it’s campy and silly you can feel the endearing magic of older journey-anime that really excites the heart while evoking an authentic mood of adventure I for one hadn’t experienced in a long time.
That's nice to hear - now I'm a bit more eager to check out the first episode because I'm a sucker for series which hold a hand out to you and go "come along for the ride, it'll be a long one!" Escapism at its finest, hehe.

I haven't seen many older series, but the one I have been watching - Galaxy Express 999 - definitely has that "endearing magic" you mentioned.
Scribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-02, 01:34   Link #77
te2rx

Send a message via ICQ to te2rx Send a message via AIM to te2rx
Thumbs up

"Imaishi gold" is how I'd describe it too. I didn't understand what they were saying, but I wasn't bored for a second. Everything that happened on the screen was in the name of entertainment -- I love how the mecha seemed to be gritting his teeth when was trapped between the monster's jaws. It's that kind of hilarious detail and resourcefulness that makes Imaishi-lead anime pure fun to watch. (and it also gave me appreciation for the somewhat absurd mecha design... I wonder how they'll further utilize it in the coming episodes)

My high hopes are only reinforced by seeing this ep#1.
te2rx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-02, 16:05   Link #78
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Gurren Lagann at high-res, even an upscale, is such a feast for the eyes :

Ep 2 story from the website...

Spoiler:
Old 2007-04-02, 16:14   Link #79
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post
Gurren Lagann at high-res, even an upscale, is such a feast for the eyes:

Ep 2 story...

Spoiler:
Is that the 500MB raw? You've convinced me to download it!

Spoiler:
Old 2007-04-02, 16:41   Link #80
Grv
宜しく
*Fansubber

I was very surprised by the upscale too. So much so that I began to question if it were or not. Deciding factor was the credits being a bit blurry yet the clock remains crystal clear, wonders never cease...