Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-10-08, 16:29   Link #321
kalbron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Here's some sad news for some of you VC1 fans that i read from wikipedia:

In order words, don't expect playing anyone from VC1 since the Militia can't get involve in the civil war.
Y'know, those sorts of laws make some sense, and probably relate to, not forming militia to use against people rioting against the crown over bread prices and whatnot.

Against full blown treason with the declared intention of killing your ruler, that's absolutely farcical.
kalbron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 04:23   Link #322
Runty

Looks like TGS09 brought a lot of VC2 material out. Specifically, check out this:

http://valkyria2.jp/mov_download03.html

Looks like some great stuff, especially near the end.
Runty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 05:19   Link #323
kalbron

After doing a bit more digging on the site it seems like they've replaced the Engineer with the Medic class, but the Medic class still hands out ammo while doing healing like an Engineer... making me simply ask why?

Also, Lancers have lost their awesome armour for some pitiful gold plating gunk, and the lances themselves look like the cruddy designs from the anime. D=

Edit: Also, looking at the characters page http://valkyria2.jp/character.html

Does anyone get Anime!Faldio vibes from the secondary character on the far left? The pose strikes me as an arrogant ladies man character. Guess we know who the main character of the VC2 anime will be...

Edit2: In addition it looks like they will be showing a bit more of the serious repercussions of war and how it affects those participating. Should be good if they don't go too overboard/emo: http://valkyria2.jp/mov_character02_02.html

Edit3: Also, who said that there wouldn't be any people from the militia back? http://valkyria2.jp/mov_character03.html

Think this might mean we'll see Jane pop up as the Drill Sergeant's assistant? Also rofl at calling the trio "A Team".

Last edited by kalbron; 2009-10-09 at 05:38.
Old 2009-10-09, 07:24   Link #324
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
I have a bad feeling about this game; not gonna lie.

They really do look like they're making a high school slice-of-life with war as a side-dish kind of game. The dude with the glasses looks like the consummate class president, the other guy is the cool kid, and the girl is the one they'll fight over...

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 07:25   Link #325
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Spoiler for The Gassenarl Family:

Spoiler for The main heroes of VC2:
Old 2009-10-09, 08:02   Link #326
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
The Academy idea looks so terrible.
Considering this academy was already present in VC1, I suppose that game was terrible as well?

By the looks of things, especially that last clip in Terrorists post, this game is going to focus on what really happens when you send a couple of kids to the front line. VC was all happy heroic, this game, rather than slice-of-life has a much, much darker setting than the first one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbron View Post
After doing a bit more digging on the site it seems like they've replaced the Engineer with the Medic class, but the Medic class still hands out ammo while doing healing like an Engineer... making me simply ask why?
Makes me wonder why they refer to her with the same title as they do an engineer in VC1 though.

As for why, the answer would seem quite obvious. She's a support class. Besides, 'healing like an engineer' makes it sound as if healing was engineer exclusive. It wasn't.

Quote:
Also, Lancers have lost their awesome armour for some pitiful gold plating gunk, and the lances themselves look like the cruddy designs from the anime. D=
Remember the armor upgrades that are to be in this game?
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 11:35   Link #327
JagdPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Considering this academy was already present in VC1, I suppose that game was terrible as well?

By the looks of things, especially that last clip in Terrorists post, this game is going to focus on what really happens when you send a couple of kids to the front line. VC was all happy heroic, this game, rather than slice-of-life has a much, much darker setting than the first one.
Um... the academy wasn't present in VC1. At all. Ever.

The training grounds you use were not the academy.

There may be some dark stuff in this game just as there was in VC1, but too much evidence so far suggests this will be more teen angst romance than war story. Basically... the anime.
Quote:
Makes me wonder why they refer to her with the same title as they do an engineer in VC1 though.

As for why, the answer would seem quite obvious. She's a support class. Besides, 'healing like an engineer' makes it sound as if healing was engineer exclusive. It wasn't.
No, but engineers did have the ability to heal up to 100% health, unlike other classes. That's probably what "healing like an engineer" means.

Old 2009-10-09, 12:07   Link #328
cloner4000

I think most of people shut their sense off when they hear the high school analogy. Any of you ever surprised or think it's a little weird that : Isara took tank driving training class and maintenance class in highschool? Or that Aisha is, 12? and most of the recruits average age around 17 and most other members certainly is younger than 20.

plus a Military Academy isn't all just focus on fighting...otherwise are you saying that military academy like West Point are a beef-up highschool?

The clip only show Cossette healing, the kanji for the "medic" reads "Support Soldier" which I thinik if I remember correctly is what they are also called in VC1 and the english translation is "Engineer"... plus there might be only things the unit is capable of doing.

by the way, the voice for the red-haired main guy sounds really familar...but I can't quite get a hang of who it is.

Thanks everybody for the update though....I wasn't even aware there is this much info out already....totally made my day.
cloner4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 12:46   Link #329
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloner4000 View Post
by the way, the voice for the red-haired main guy sounds really familar...but I can't quite get a hang of who it is.
Well the 2 male leads used to be voiced in Gundam 00. You can probably guess who they are.
Old 2009-10-09, 17:49   Link #330
jwai

I would be impressed if they put in the Medic class to split off the healing support from the Engineer class. Engineers in VC1 could clear obstables and mines, repair fortifications, and had more grenades than anyone else, but you were pretty hard pressed to use them in an offensive role like a real assault engineer, since they were so fragile, and were more useful for healing your mates.

Also could be interesting if instead of having a Medic automatically evacuate a casualty, you have to actually move the the Medic to them.

I also wish that tanks wouldn't get instant killed with a single shot to the radiator. Sure, they can still take more damage to the rear, but instant kill made tanks a bit of a joke on the battlefield. It'd be a more rewarding challenge if you had to think more about approaching a tank problem.
jwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 18:23   Link #331
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Um... the academy wasn't present in VC1. At all. Ever.

The training grounds you use were not the academy.
Because they totally teach tank engineering and squad command in high school. Right.

Seriously, where else do you think the VC1 cast learned all that? This academy existed in VC1 the moment Isara and Welkin mentioned their specific lessons.

Quote:
There may be some dark stuff in this game just as there was in VC1, but too much evidence so far suggests this will be more teen angst romance than war story. Basically... the anime.
I actually prefer that to the happy-happy joy-joy mood of VC1 (for example, I never liked how Welkin seemed to shrug of the death of Isara in the game. While the anime did go a bit over the emo-end, at least they did something with that). Don't get me wrong, I do like happy stories, but if you're trying to emulate war, then include the bad as well.

Quote:
No, but engineers did have the ability to heal up to 100% health, unlike other classes. That's probably what "healing like an engineer" means.
*blink* They do? Huh, guess I have another reason to include them in my squad.
Old 2009-10-09, 19:41   Link #332
SoggySoyBean
Squishie

I kinda want them to take the typical "war is hell" approach, but that was something the designers actually wanted to avoid according to the interview in the artbook. They said something about wanting to use the 3rd engine for something 'pretty' instead of raw and ugly-i.e. most other combat/war related games. Oh well, too bad for me

Quote:
(for example, I never liked how Welkin seemed to shrug of the death of Isara in the game. While the anime did go a bit over the emo-end, at least they did something with that).
Me too!But yea... when I think about it, they excluded Isara alot in the game. Mysteriously missing in scenes, not being a playable character
SoggySoyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 21:11   Link #333
cloner4000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggySoyBean View Post
I kinda want them to take the typical "war is hell" approach, but that was something the designers actually wanted to avoid according to the interview in the artbook. They said something about wanting to use the 3rd engine for something 'pretty' instead of raw and ugly-i.e. most other combat/war related games. Oh well, too bad for me

Me too!But yea... when I think about it, they excluded Isara alot in the game. Mysteriously missing in scenes, not being a playable character
In the trailer for VC2 you can actually see blood, and Cossete expression is pretty dark. I guess they are trying to strike a middle ground? I just hope they don't end up doing crappy for both.

The English voice for the scene didn't really sound too surprised, but the Japanese voice added some more sense of urgency...I think the anime expend on some event while downplay others so I think it's best if you view both to get the most out of VC universe.

Is military academy really such a foreign idea? I thought it's pretty normal to have military academy.

By the way engineer's large ragnaid heals somewhere around 250 or 300..which is most soldier's full HP but sometime you can't heal full to a badly wounded lancer which has around 400 or so HP
cloner4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 21:24   Link #334
kalbron

Quote:
Because they totally teach tank engineering and squad command in high school. Right.

Seriously, where else do you think the VC1 cast learned all that? This academy existed in VC1 the moment Isara and Welkin mentioned their specific lessons.
At school. What part of "madatory milita training for all children from primary education onwards" doesn't compute for you? They couldn't send every student of Gallia to this single academy. They couldn't even occassionally send students across the country to this single academy for one-off lessons. They would have to run the training programs within their regional schools or else it would be pointless.

That being said however, this academy seems a lot like what you'd get from a 1950s version of West Point, Sandhurst or Duntroon. Taking the "best and brightest" and turning them into the future elite of the Gallian military.

That and I think I read on one of the clips that the academy is 200 years old.
Old 2009-10-09, 22:38   Link #335
JagdPanther

Quote:

Compulsory military lessons at their individual schools.
Quote:
I actually prefer that to the happy-happy joy-joy mood of VC1 (for example, I never liked how Welkin seemed to shrug of the death of Isara in the game. While the anime did go a bit over the emo-end, at least they did something with that). Don't get me wrong, I do like happy stories, but if you're trying to emulate war, then include the bad as well.
Not sure I agree with that perception of Welkin.
Quote:
*blink* They do? Huh, guess I have another reason to include them in my squad.
Yup. Even if someone is at 1/XXX health, an engineer will heal them to 100%.

Old 2009-10-10, 03:15   Link #336
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
At school. What part of "madatory milita training for all children from primary education onwards" doesn't compute for you? They couldn't send every student of Gallia to this single academy. They couldn't even occassionally send students across the country to this single academy for one-off lessons. They would have to run the training programs within their regional schools or else it would be pointless.
Nor can they give tank engineering at every single school throughout a country. The amount of tanks you'd need to yield a proper experience rate would be insane, and that's excluding the tanks they would also need for the actual army.

This academy answers the 'lolwut?' question that arose when Isara mentioned she took a tank engineering course at school.

Come to think of it, do they specifically say this is the only academy of the type? I could imagine several of these throughout the country.

Quote:
Not sure I agree with that perception of Welkin.
Yet it's not far from the truth. Did Welkin even cry at all in the game? How sad was he? How long? There was her death, the funeral, a bit of "Isara would be happy" by the plane, and then... nothing.

Quote:
Yup. Even if someone is at 1/XXX health, an engineer will heal them to 100%.
A better question would be then "Why did VC1 even have medics?"
Old 2009-10-10, 06:41   Link #337
JagdPanther

Quote:
Nor can they give tank engineering at every single school throughout a country. The amount of tanks you'd need to yield a proper experience rate would be insane, and that's excluding the tanks they would also need for the actual army.

This academy answers the 'lolwut?' question that arose when Isara mentioned she took a tank engineering course at school.

Come to think of it, do they specifically say this is the only academy of the type? I could imagine several of these throughout the country.
A country that size, probably not many if more than 1.

Furthermore, it could very easily be that certain schools teach certain things well, just like in real life. Some schools are known for their engineering programs while others are strong in the social sciences (on the University level). Even some private prep schools are strong in certain areas.

And you can work on a mock-up or train on something less complicated. Besides, at least for Isara, it's pretty easy to get experience; she has a friggin' tank in her home.
Quote:
Yet it's not far from the truth. Did Welkin even cry at all in the game? How sad was he? How long? There was her death, the funeral, a bit of "Isara would be happy" by the plane, and then... nothing.
But he was also a military commander and I thought they handled his reaction to her death very well. He wasn't uptight and d*ck-ish like he was in the anime, but he still carried out his duties. The war didn't stop for one guy to mourn.[/quote]

Old 2009-10-10, 07:32   Link #338
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
A country that size, probably not many if more than 1.
So it's an unknown for now.

Quote:
Furthermore, it could very easily be that certain schools teach certain things well, just like in real life. Some schools are known for their engineering programs while others are strong in the social sciences (on the University level). Even some private prep schools are strong in certain areas.

And you can work on a mock-up or train on something less complicated. Besides, at least for Isara, it's pretty easy to get experience; she has a friggin' tank in her home.
Regular schools can teach you the general basics, but not the specifics. Not unless they specialize on the subject like this academy does. Regular schools can most certainly not teach enough to maintain and hop into a tank as if its second nature, same thing for command or any military training, really. You'll need a specialized school for it, such as this academy.

Quote:
But he was also a military commander and I thought they handled his reaction to her death very well. He wasn't uptight and d*ck-ish like he was in the anime, but he still carried out his duties. The war didn't stop for one guy to mourn.
I did say the anime went overboard with the emo, but Welkin shrugging it of like he did in the game felt far more unnatural to me. The least they could have done was give him a coming-to-terms scene like the Bruhl scene in the anime, something that really made it hit home that Welkin has lost his sister. Not a squad mate, but his sister.
Old 2009-10-10, 22:10   Link #339
JagdPanther

Quote:
Regular schools can teach you the general basics, but not the specifics. Not unless they specialize on the subject like this academy does. Regular schools can most certainly not teach enough to maintain and hop into a tank as if its second nature, same thing for command or any military training, really. You'll need a specialized school for it, such as this academy.
Normally I'd agree, but then again this is the world of fiction.

And that still doesn't explain how this is coming off as a typical anime high school romance/comedy/drama with some war themes thrown in.
Quote:
I did say the anime went overboard with the emo, but Welkin shrugging it of like he did in the game felt far more unnatural to me. The least they could have done was give him a coming-to-terms scene like the Bruhl scene in the anime, something that really made it hit home that Welkin has lost his sister. Not a squad mate, but his sister.
Different interpretations, then. I felt that the game handled it well.

Old 2009-10-10, 22:14   Link #340
Key Board
Carbon

child soldiers + school setting work very well if taken seriously

remember Gun Parade March anime? (not Orchestra which was crap)
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote