AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Muv-Luv Franchise

Notices

Old 2013-07-21, 05:28   Link #1181
Alastor Mobius Toth
Idar Lead

@Wave

Damn, that's quite the conspiracy you have there.

I approve!

@Issuzark

We already had Muv-Luv/Idolm@aster cards. Plus, that Cerberus-as-pop-group-thing.

@Fireminer

That's a question probably for a different section...maybe.
I'll just say that "fame" is a subjective matter; in Japan, Muv-Luv franchise is considered to be a smash hit, and it consistently ranks as one of the best Visual Novels of all time.

Thing is, it's generally a VN franchise (Extra, Unlimited, Alternative, Total Eclipse, TDA and Chronicles are all VNs; with Schwarzesmarken and Total Eclipse Light Novels), which are a very, very niche things outside Japan. Given that we've only recently had TE anime adaptation (and it's mostly a set-up for the VN, which ended in-we-know-what, sadly). It's not really surprising that Muv-Luv isn't well-known outside Japan. By comparison, Fate/- has no less than two anime adaptations, which sort-of improves the franchise's ability to reach a wider audience.
Alastor Mobius Toth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 08:00   Link #1182
issuzark
Resident yoyoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor Mobius Toth View Post

@Issuzark

We already had Muv-Luv/Idolm@aster cards. Plus, that Cerberus-as-pop-group-thing.
There must be more!

柚香マイワイフ!<3
issuzark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 09:22   Link #1183
maxxus0923
Fairy Legion

Pop Khorne Anyone???
maxxus0923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-21, 10:09   Link #1184
issuzark
Resident yoyoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxus0923 View Post
Pop Khorne Anyone???
Chaos pls.
MY FAITH SHALL NOT FALTER.

柚香マイワイフ!<3
Old 2013-07-21, 11:09   Link #1185
maxxus0923
Fairy Legion

Quote:
Originally Posted by issuzark View Post
Chaos pls.
MY FAITH SHALL NOT FALTER.
I am now an Omnissiah follower...

DEUS EX MACHINA!!!

DEATH TO ALL WHO OPPOSE THE MACHINE GOD!!!!
maxxus0923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-22, 05:26   Link #1186
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Have anyone here try to write a ML crack-fic?
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-22, 08:22   Link #1187
issuzark
Resident yoyoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
Have anyone here try to write a ML crack-fic?
What?

@Maxxus, MY FAITH IS MY SHIELD.

柚香マイワイフ!<3
Old 2013-07-22, 09:40   Link #1188
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

What the hell is happening?
And why no one ever try to write a long fic with girl OC? Not a Mary Sue, of course.
Old 2013-07-22, 10:32   Link #1189
Alastor Mobius Toth
Idar Lead

You fools, bear the witness to the power of Chaos Undivided!!!

/Just an average day in M-L fanfic section.

Speaking of which, why would you need female OCs, when Muv-Luv has just so many female characters to choose from?
Old 2013-07-22, 10:35   Link #1190
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Easy! The word "ordinary girl" never existed in M-L, and I intent to bring it in (with a lot of sweet, tears, blood and insanity, of course)!
Old 2013-07-22, 10:39   Link #1191
Alastor Mobius Toth
Idar Lead

...Muv-Luv Extra. We have normal too. We just rape it out of them.

To be honest, I only use OCs either for short characters, or if I can't squeeze already existing characters into given roles.

Hence the-yet-unwritten bodyguard squad of Harbinger is made out of OCs (albeit minor ones); since I couldn't find a way to justify Beatrix still being alive and young in 2001.
Old 2013-07-22, 10:43   Link #1192
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

No, I mean "ordinary" to the level of nothing-ness! On the second though, Shirogane is also just a cardbox-cut-stereotype sometime.
Old 2013-07-22, 18:14   Link #1193
sasahar17

I know I don't come around here much anymore, but I thought I'd share something with you guys I put up over in Space Battles in case it interests you.

-=-

As yet untitled Mass Effect / Pacific Rim Crossover Idea

-=-

“We always thought alien life would come from the stars, but it came from deep beneath the sea… a portal between dimensions in the North Atlantic Ocean. The Breach.”

“The first kaiju made land fall in New York City in 1971. By the time ships, fighters, tanks took it down two weeks later, five cities and tens of thousands of lives were lost. We buried our dead, memorialized the attack, and then tried to move on.The second attack hit Rio de Janerio six months later, then the third hit Lisborn six months after that. Then we learned… this was not going to stop. We had to fight.”

“The world came together, pooling its resources as we had never seen before to stop the Kaijuu. To do that, we needed a new weapon. The Tactical Surface Fighter was that weapon. Huge bipedal machines created in our own image that would fight the monsters we feared. Based off experimental technology used in NSAS’s space program, these eighteen meter tall titans were more powerful and more maneuverable that anything we had ever seen.”

“A new coalition was formed. Hundreds of willing soldiers took up arms. As the United Nations Army, humanity would fight and defeat these monsters. Or so we thought.”

“That was thirty years and two and a half billion lives ago, and we are no closer to winning now than we were back then. Worse still, another rift opened up somewhere in the Pacific five years ago, and now countries that had once thought to have been safe came under siege as well. The Kaijuu are coming out faster and larger than ever before. Humanity’s time was running out. We were nearing our breaking point. It is the end of days.”

“My name is Kagami Sumika, and I am one of the survivors of the city of Tokyo when the first Pacific Kaijuu hit our country and killed everyone I know and loved… including the boy who meant everything to me. As a Tactical Surface Fighter Pilot of the Imperial Japanese Army, I was prepared to give my life fighting these Kaijuu to give humanity the time it needed to prepare colony ships that would flee our plant to find a new home.”

“Then one day, something else came though the rift…”

-=-

The idea is that when the Kaijuu's masters didn’t put all their eggs in one basket, they were attacking several realities at once, namely this one. Instead of the Beta, this AU reality (because Imperial Japan, and not democratic Japan, yea) is under siege from both oceans by the Kaijuu. Because of their lower tech level when the siege started, Jaeger tech and Drift technology were not possible for this humanity, hence why they ended up developing the smaller, more maneuverable but less powerful TSFs instead.

This world developed ‘Real Robots’ to fight the Kaijuu instead of deciding to use ‘Supers’. TSFs are a real robot version of a fighter jet: and despite their effectiveness (somewhat) against the BETA, the Kaijuu are a very different enemy what what the TSFs were canonically designed to fight. Just as a Jaeger would have serious problems against a horde (it would be the case of ants swarming the elephant), the TSFs, even in large numbers, are ill suited to fight the Kaijuu. 36mm shells won’t penetrate a Kaijuu’s hide very well and would need large volumes of fire to even scratch the bastard. Their Melee Halberds can’t project the same kind of force that a single blow from a Jaeger can give. Worse still, they'd get Kaijuu blue everywhere, which would contaminate the area. Also as TSFs are small and fragile they’d be crushed in one hit from a Kaijuu, meaning the death toll of the soldiers would be enormous.

TSFs aren’t the best idea when it comes to fighting a 500+ foot long force of nature that can tank nuclear warheads like they were firecrackers (well, Slattern did). It isn’t their fault: unlike in the Pac Rim world, the techbase the TSFs were created from is far behind the one the Jaegers were based out of, and by the time the tech rolled around for it (the Muv Luv people have the XG-70 right) the world was too invested into TSFs to realize that they were using the wrong type of Giant Robot and they should try something else.

To make things even worse, the second rift opened in the Pacific a few months after another one of the Kaijuu’s siege campaigns on another dimension (guess which one) went belly up in the most spectacular fashion, so this reality became an even higher priority target. Not that the UN Army, IJA, IRG, EU, etc… cares for that very much since they have no clue how the Kaijuu think: this world don’t have drift technology (Yuuko is working on it and failing). For all they knowThe Kaijuu might have the mentality of the Pyro from TF2.

All in all, they are losing, and losing badly. So here they’re already preparing for their own version of Operation Babylon, and everyone just going through the motions because there’s nothing else to do but hope for the best.

All the usual elements and character of Muv Luv: an entire generation forced to fight in a losing war, disparate factions of humanity at each other’s throats, humanity pushed to the very brink of extinction… all that jazz. Versus the Kaijuu. It doesn’t work out all that well for them. They got whupped, and now the doomsday clock is thinking.

This is what happens when a world with Real Robot attitudes and Real Robot weapons tries taking on the Kaijuu: while TSFs are far more numerous than the Kaijuu, they are machines and weapons and don’t pretend to be anything else. Think of what happens if TAs from Gasaraki tried taking on the Angels: not fun. Kaijuu are forces of nature, and mortal weapons can’t hope to stop an oncoming storm.

It’s really a pity they used the wrong tech tree. Despite being grounded by real world limitations (…somewhat), Jaegers are Supers. Although they are made of metal and circuitry, each individual Jaeger is a titan in its own right. More importantly the PPDC has a super robot approach to doing things that fares well against the Kaijuu. Sure they may be slower than Kaijuu (in water), more expensive to maintain AND harder to find pilots for, but once all the elements fall into place Jaegers stop being mere weapons and start being monsters in their own right. Jaegers exist to slay the Kaijuu. It’s their job. It’s in their NAME. Then there's drift technology, which is practically a necessity for learning how to get through the breaches...

It's really too bad this world doesn't have Jaegers...

Last edited by sasahar17; 2013-07-22 at 22:27.
sasahar17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-22, 20:20   Link #1194
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Now that is what I call overkill! Any character development chart?
Old 2013-07-22, 22:00   Link #1195
Mangathell

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasahar17 View Post
sasahara17 story idea!
Pretty cool and sounds like as though it would work rather well too! You've got my support! Also I just quickly nipped over to SB and looked at the thread there, What you did with cryska and Inia in that snip is absolutely the bomb!
Mangathell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-22, 22:27   Link #1196
sasahar17

Sorry to say, I probably won't be touching on this any more than I already have. I'm heavily involved in both the Above the Rim ME/PacRim project, Muv Luv DYRL (Valk 3 is ready, it's just I'm trying to work out JH 2, which is not, before I release it since their events tie together) and this CallOfDuty/Sekirei thing called Semper Fi. I just hoped this idea would give you guys a few laughs, that's all.

And how come nobody told me I accidentlly copy pasted the damn thing twice in the most EPIC FAIL double post ever?
sasahar17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-23, 00:14   Link #1197
Mangathell

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasahar17 View Post
sasahara17 comment about double post
Erm... I meant to mention that but then got taken up in the moment of that hilariousness... I'll just go and get in my blue box...

On another note... Has anybody heard of any stories that go and look at the alt/unlimited verse before the arrival of the BETA like 1867 and the "reformation/failure of the Tokugawa shogunate period"? Curiosity is killing me...

Last edited by Mangathell; 2013-07-23 at 00:16. Reason: Didn't feel that my question would be read as I hoped it would
Old 2013-07-23, 01:05   Link #1198
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangathell View Post
Erm... I meant to mention that but then got taken up in the moment of that hilariousness... I'll just go and get in my blue box...

On another note... Has anybody heard of any stories that go and look at the alt/unlimited verse before the arrival of the BETA like 1867 and the "reformation/failure of the Tokugawa shogunate period"? Curiosity is killing me...
Well the main problem is the lack of information, settings and characters. You would have to fabricated a whole universe, and that is a long and painful process!
Old 2013-07-23, 01:25   Link #1199
Mangathell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireminer View Post
Well the main problem is the lack of information, settings and characters. You would have to fabricated a whole universe, and that is a long and painful process!
Not quite... We are after all looking at an alt-history setting so there are already plenty of characters that should be interesting and it would satisfy that nagging question I have of "where the blazes did kouki go and tread on a butterfly back then to get the shogunate as it's depicted in 2001" and I have to admit I think I found a couple of moments too

Course then there is also what the wiki says on the topic of 1867 (less than a paragraph) which is kinda... troubling, and quite frankly what it says is either a mistranslation of the original source or kouki's understanding of late Tokugawa shogunate history is... Horrendously off...

Also fireminer do you even sleep? 1:00am ish, 11:20am and now? All in one day?

Last edited by Mangathell; 2013-07-23 at 02:33. Reason: Didn't quite say everything that needed to be said
Old 2013-07-23, 03:14   Link #1200
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor Mobius Toth View Post
We have normal too. We just rape it out of them.
- .... (snrk) A day in the life of a Japanese High School Girl among BETA, indeed...
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fanfiction, harem