AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-04-03, 08:39   Link #81
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

This is going to be like the "is QB evil" thing all over again isn't it, where any attempts to discuss what looks like an actual decent Marvel anime compared to Wolverine and Iron Man is lost in the incoming pages of racism of the modern world and Japan.

On that note, I don't know, but Professor X's voice just doesn't sit well with me. It's far too...masculine for him I guess. Also, Beast looks....funny. Like an actual puppy dog. Otherwise, I found myself thinking, "wow, this actually feels like I'm watching X-Men", which is a good thing. Looks like I'll be following it tentatively.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 08:44   Link #82
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
This is going to be like the "is QB evil" thing all over again isn't it, where any attempts to discuss what looks like an actual decent Marvel anime compared to Wolverine and Iron Man is lost in the incoming pages of racism of the modern world and Japan.

On that note, I don't know, but Professor X's voice just doesn't sit well with me. It's far too...masculine for him I guess. Also, Beast looks....funny. Like an actual puppy dog. Otherwise, I found myself thinking, "wow, this actually feels like I'm watching X-Men", which is a good thing. Looks like I'll be following it tentatively.
Oh, I am prepared to enjoy the show very much. The only thing I am doing is to explain exactly why the Anime X-men is NOT going the Marvel Comic route of having insufferable normal people.

Japanese X-men is not going to have lynch mobs suicidally threaten people with superpowers. And the show is better that way.
Old 2011-04-03, 09:19   Link #83
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Isn't it great? The cure for Racism is exile! The ultimate form of Segregation!

I mean, it would be a travesty if the average human figures out hating mutants are wrong, right? Marvel can't afford to offend the racist fraction of their readership, after all. Just cut their numbers down by de-powering most of them via magic while you are at it. The racist humans win everything, the mutants lose everything.

I wonder what Martin Luther King Jr would feel about a magical way to turn black people into Caucasians.
Hey, I didn't say it was an ideal solution or that there isn't controversy both in-universe and out-of-universe.

On a certain scale it makes sense, Mutants have become an endangered species after the decimation. On the other it doesn't, because concentrating the last survivors of your species on a secluded island paints a giant target on yourself. OTOH, again, it makes defense easier to organize.

Oh, well. Nobody said being a mutant is easy. ^^
Old 2011-04-03, 09:26   Link #84
outcast_within
pita ten pyjama!

shinra x-men-ika musume!
Old 2011-04-03, 10:03   Link #85
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
It's really too bad this Wolverine didn't get his own anime series, because I really like the design and animation.
It is a better Wolverine design but not for a Wolverine who has a Yamamoto Nadesico in love with him. It's more believable for that version to be slimmer built. X-Men's Wolverine is a blunt badass and prob dick. A better foil for the sensitive Cyclops who is the prob ladies' bait in this show.

I just hope that we're done with the Jean Grey flashbacks and no returns later on in the series. Bring on Emma!
Old 2011-04-03, 10:04   Link #86
delirium
Banned

Quote:
Isn't it great? The cure for Racism is exile! The ultimate form of Segregation!
Are you being serious, Vallen Chaos Valiant? You're obviously not a big reader of comics, or you'd know the X-Men are an allegory for persecuted people, whatever they may be persecuted for. That's the entire backbone of their story. They've even been an allegory for AIDs through being inflicted with the "Legacy" virus. That's the role these characters play. Of course, there are awesome fight scenes and dramatic battles and relationships too, but they're really just a side story when you think of the big picture.

Sure, having humans persecute them wherever they go and no matter what they do would cheapen it, that's why I initially agreed with you two pages back. It's typically done tastefully in the 616 universe these days. The Ultimate Marvel Universe however contains no such allegories and they are treated as you would expect in the real world. Even then, the reaction to mutants in the Ultimate Marvel universe is one of begrudging acceptance until Magneto causes a massive amount of death & damage in New York City through the events of Ultimate Marvel's Ultimatum event. Mutants were hunted down and as magnuskn said, "disappeared" after that occurred.

Quote:
I mean, it would be a travesty if the average human figures out hating mutants are wrong, right? Marvel can't afford to offend the racist fraction of their readership, after all. Just cut their numbers down by de-powering most of them via magic while you are at it. The racist humans win everything, the mutants lose everything.
Humans aren't winning anything. They've been realizing that it is wrong at the pace we as humans have, and considering we've committed horrible wrongs against persecuted people such as Muslims, we aren't doing too well. Maybe you should back off and buy a couple of trade paperbacks of well-received X-Men stories before you say something along the lines of..

Quote:
I wonder what Martin Luther King Jr would feel about a magical way to turn black people into Caucasians.
FFFFFF- You just had to say that, didn't you? What is the matter with you! It's like I'm conversing with a brick wall. GODDAMN! You are without hope! I'm tired of discussing this with you. You've completely crossed the line into absurdity and I can't imagine you can say anything to redeem yourself after this. Read the conversation we've been having a couple times and think about what you've been saying, because you seriously need to stop now.
delirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 10:34   Link #87
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Interesting first episode.

The uniforms remind me of those old ugly thing they used to wear- but at least it's a classic design I guess. I also was a little put off by Storm. Some of her body language just didn't fit with my perception of her character.

The episode introduced us to the characters and got us interested in them. That's good.

It also looks like they are going for a simple yet classic X-man storyline. Young newbie mutant is kidnapped. X-Men go to the rescue. In the process they discover the secret plot of the bad guy, and which they then defeat. Usually with the help of the newbie mutant, giving that character some time to develop and grow.

That's a solid plot line. For me this has moved up from "give it a look when I got some extra time" to "keep an eye on this and see if it stays good".

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 11:02   Link #88
JC...
I am a Pie

As soon as I saw Jean as the Pheonix, I knew it'd be good, I got hooked.

Has an english DVD release been announced? I hope it will continue beyond the initial season, but I haven't really got my hopes up yet. It's better just to enjoy what we have already. I can't wait for the next episode.
JC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 11:33   Link #89
Rhyel
*Graphic Designer

Good Start, remember me the first old X-Men Animation TV (tarara ra ram) with better graphics and animation.

Nice BG-Musics too.
Old 2011-04-03, 13:04   Link #90
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Marvel decimated the number of mutants 'cause they were running out of ideas for powers. Most new mutants were becoming lame and the cast was getting cluttered and saturated with lameness.

Take this guy... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tag_(comics)

When they realized what this dudes' powers were, they decided it was time to get rid of the crappy mutants.

I totally dig the character designs in this series. Cyclops, everyones' favorite douchebag bishie. Storm and Wolverine really stand out, too.
mechalord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 15:20   Link #91
Wakan Tanka

It wasn't a bad first ep.
Old 2011-04-03, 15:56   Link #92
Psycho_Kenshin

Very promising show, the first episode is quite cool! I dig the feel, that bit of melodrama with the burning passion, Cyclops in rebel badass mode, etc. Also Storm is super hot. Sign me up!
Old 2011-04-03, 16:24   Link #93
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

Damn. since when Storm is this hot?
Old 2011-04-03, 16:55   Link #94
MartianMage

Just watched it and it's a pretty good first episode. At least there's nothing much to complain about except maybe Wolverine's design. He's too bulky IMO.
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 19:00   Link #95
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Sabato View Post
Just watched it and it's a pretty good first episode. At least there's nothing much to complain about except maybe Wolverine's design. He's too bulky IMO.
Agreed. This looks far more like Sabertooth than Wolverine.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 19:21   Link #96
ZODDGUTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
Damn. since when Storm is this hot?
She always looked good with semi short hair.

Anyways okay first ep, there's potential for the series to be good.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 19:47   Link #97
delirium
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Agreed. This looks far more like Sabertooth than Wolverine.
I really don't think that it does. He's never been one to be slim.
Old 2011-04-03, 20:15   Link #98
GDB

He's shown to be of average build more often than not, and "slim" is more similar to that build than bulky, ridiculously muscular, and top-heavy is.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 21:32   Link #99
duckroll
綺羅星★!

An extremely muscular and buff Wolverine is not uncommon at all as a design choice. His origin design is definitely much closer to the buffed out than "slim".

Let's look at Wolverine over the decades:

Spoiler for First Appearance (1974):

Spoiler for Wolverine (1982):

Spoiler for Weapon X(1991):

Spoiler for Wolverine/Cable (1999):

Spoiler for New Avengers (2005):

There's been a bulky version of him since the 70s. There's nothing unusual or inappropriate about this version of Wolverine.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-03, 22:47   Link #100
delirium
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
He's shown to be of average build more often than not, and "slim" is more similar to that build than bulky, ridiculously muscular, and top-heavy is.

He wasn't portrayed as bulky, ridiculously muscular, or top heavy. Even if that can be said, anime isn't known for it's subtleties after all. I feel that this is nothing more than nitpicking. It's a drastic improvement over how he was portrayed in the Wolverine anime.

Tags
madhouse, x-men