AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-08-26, 06:02   Link #1
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

The Character Discussion Thread of SOS団 Member: Kyon

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Kyon related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Suzumiya Haruhi fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2009-08-26, 08:42   Link #2
Jintor

I wish more anime had an overly sarcastic unreliable narrator.
Old 2009-08-26, 08:55   Link #3
hai_san

I dont know which i like more the "character of Kyon" or the seiryuu Tomokazu Sugita.
Old 2009-08-26, 09:49   Link #4
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Well, I think he is awesome in the novel too. Though Sugita really does a exellent job (I am kinda going to watch Kannon onlt because of him).

But, about the 'unreliable narrator' part. Sure, he certanly don't say all he can about his personal feelings, as Disappearance can show us very well. But some seens to act as he is aways lieing, even whe describing something. Why people get this idea? There is some point in the books he does something like that? I so, where?
Old 2009-08-26, 10:06   Link #5
Jintor

It's kind of like lying to himself, primarily re: Haruhi.
Old 2009-08-26, 10:27   Link #6
Solais
Youkai of Coincidence

Kyon is a cynical bastard who seems to hate everybody and complains about everything. But he actually thinks the opposite, and snarks for the lulz. He's the best.
Old 2009-08-26, 10:31   Link #7
Heatth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
It's kind of like lying to himself, primarily re: Haruhi.
I know about that. People seens to use it for other situations too. Wich don't make sense to me.
Old 2009-08-26, 11:57   Link #8
Starry Dust
Lurkin' in ur threadz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
Kyon is a cynical bastard who seems to hate everybody and complains about everything. But he actually thinks the opposite, and snarks for the lulz. He's the best.
And that's why I love him

Except for when he's being lazy.
Old 2009-08-26, 12:08   Link #9
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
Well, I think he is awesome in the novel too. Though Sugita really does a exellent job (I am kinda going to watch Kannon onlt because of him).

But, about the 'unreliable narrator' part. Sure, he certanly don't say all he can about his personal feelings, as Disappearance can show us very well. But some seens to act as he is aways lieing, even whe describing something. Why people get this idea? There is some point in the books he does something like that? I so, where?
Spoiler for Novel spoilers:
Old 2009-08-26, 12:16   Link #10
Heatth

No, I mean people who seens to think he blatantly lies about things.

Spoiler for novel spoiler:

He seens to lie about what he thinks of people, but some seens to think he lies about what happens too.
Old 2009-08-26, 12:22   Link #11
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
No, I mean people who seens to think he blatantly lies about things.

Spoiler for novel spoiler:

He seens to lie about what he thinks of people, but some seens to think he lies about what happens too.
Oh, well... I think that Kyon is a fairly reliable narrator when it comes to describing, say, the physical setting around him. Or what other people are doing.

It's mainly when it comes to what he thinks of people, that he isn't reliable.
Old 2009-08-26, 16:50   Link #12
Simplicity

Would you say that Kyon's excessive use of similes (in the novels anyway) is a personality quirk or just a part of the author's writing style? I think of it as a personality quirk but in a review for the first novel blames the author for all the similes. I haven't read any other works by Tanigawa though so I can't say for sure.
Old 2009-08-26, 17:31   Link #13
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Kyon never uses that kind of language in his dialogue, and his thoughts with similes are almost exclusively related to Mikuru. It's mainly the style of narrative.

*e* Never thought I'd be posting in this thread.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-08-26, 18:09   Link #14
vivify93

Send a message via MSN to vivify93
Kyon is hot.

Unfortunately, Kyon is a giant homophobe. Therefore, Kyon gets a 75.3 rating on the Anime Boy Scale of Hotness to Another Boy.

...Yeah.

Speaking of that, is it just me, or does every girl and their grandmother want to jump Kyon's bones? It was pointed out by someone else that...

Spoiler for spoilers for the novels, but it's really minor:
Old 2009-08-26, 18:22   Link #15
wittyusername
GRADE 8 NIGHTMARE VORTEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivify93 View Post
Kyon is hot.
...You're not one to mince words, are you?

Quote:
Unfortunately, Kyon is a giant homophobe.
Since when is this a problem in ero doujin?

Quote:
Speaking of that, is it just me, or does every girl and their grandmother want to jump Kyon's bones? It was pointed out by someone else that...

Despite what he says about himself, Kyon is pretty cute. He's not necessarily as pretty as Itsuki, but he makes up for that with snark. Tons and tons of snark. And that's never a bad thing.

Well, it's either that, or Nagaru Tanigawa is desperate for ideas. Instead of going along with the story so far, the tenth novel will actually be about how Kyon drank a ~love~ potion or is under some gimmicky spell. Now every girl in the city has a thing for him! How wacky and/or zany!
Old 2009-08-26, 18:22   Link #16
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Spoiler for same novel... sorta:
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Old 2009-08-26, 19:36   Link #17
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittyusername View Post
...You're not one to mince words, are you?

Since when is this a problem in ero doujin?

Despite what he says about himself, Kyon is pretty cute. He's not necessarily as pretty as Itsuki, but he makes up for that with snark. Tons and tons of snark. And that's never a bad thing.

Well, it's either that, or Nagaru Tanigawa is desperate for ideas. Instead of going along with the story so far, the tenth novel will actually be about how Kyon drank a ~love~ potion or is under some gimmicky spell. Now every girl in the city has a thing for him! How wacky and/or zany!
I mean: come on! Does he have pimples? No. Is any part of his face strange? No. He already looks better than 80% of the people in his age group.
Old 2009-08-26, 19:53   Link #18
OkamiNoKaze

Does anybody think if Kyon were to wear a trench coat he'd look like the most recent Doctor or Doctor Who?
Old 2009-08-26, 19:55   Link #19
Simplicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
I mean: come on! Does he have pimples? No. Is any part of his face strange? No. He already looks better than 80% of the people in his age group.
I thought that's just because anime characters aren't typically drawn with pimples. Anyway, Kyon's pretty average-looking in my book...simple brown haircut, average height (for an Asian male I believe), etc. His charm to me mostly comes from his delightfully snarky personality.
Old 2009-08-26, 20:05   Link #20
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
I thought that's just because anime characters aren't typically drawn with pimples. Anyway, Kyon's pretty average-looking in my book...simple brown haircut, average height (for an Asian male I believe), etc. His charm to me mostly comes from his delightfully snarky personality.
He's intended to be average all the way. Even his initial snarking is average. (You're up against Haruhi. You have to snark to preserve your sanity.) But, probe a bit deeper, and this guy will expose himself.

Tags
characters