AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-10-03, 00:48   Link #2041
Amirali
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Amirali
Episode 50 was a fun fight, although it didn't end with a Kenichi power-up which was a refreshing change from most shounen. Anyone else think Odin defeated himself by trying to combine Dou and Sei? His body just gave out by itself under the pressure. Odin beat Odin, not really Kenichi. If he'd just focused on keeping up his Seikkuken and adapting to Kenichi's masters' imitations (he'd already adapted to Apachai), I still think Odin had the better skills. Anyway, I guess fighting is about heart as well.....and more importantly composure.....which is why Kenichi deservedly won.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathwing View Post
decent series that ending dialogue was just horrible not to mention the reason for that fight was just ridiculous
over all not really happy at the end but i liked the series in the beginning.
Well, the ending dialogue by Kenichi was pretty lame, but it just reinforces he's not the cool, ultra-profound hero of some shounen anime. It doesn't surprise me he didn't come up with a deep, evocative speech.

As for the reason for the fight..........well, if you take it at face value its pretty silly. But if u read between the lines (and if like me, you have too much time to overanalyze :P), it ties back perfectly to the very start of the series. Why did Kenichi take up training and fighting? Because he was tired of being weakling, always bullied and degraded. Now Ryuuto was even weaker than Kenichi as a kid, and to have been beaten by "weak-legs" Kenichi must have been the ultimate humiliation. Kenichi and Ryuuto were both destined to start along that same path of growing stronger, its just that Ryuuto started earlier. For Kenichi, he defined progress along that path as being able to protect his friends and the weak, while for Odin he defined progress as being able to prove himself better than his opponents. That's why he needed to beat Kenichi to prove to himself that he was no longer a weakling.

Why did Ryuuto became a power obsessed bully, and not Kenichi ? Well, the lack of compassionate masters to guide him probably had something to do with it. Also ,he felt a sense of insecurity from his earlier time as a weakling and he never really got over that need to demonstrate his superiority, unlike Kenichi who told Berserker in episode 48 that he'd learned to live with and accept his own defeats and weakness. Who knows, if Kenichi had been defeated and embarrassed by a friend's condescending pity (which stings a lot more than a faceless bully beating you up), he might have become bitter about his weakness also. The first enconter between Odin and Kenichi (ep 40) might even be interpreted as Ryuuto reaching out to Kenichi......only to find Kenichi had completely forgotten about the most important incident in Odin's life and moved on. I'm not surprised he was hurt.

To be honest, I don't think Ryuuto was even completely in line with Ogata's philosophy, when Ryuuto said that the weak should be eliminated. Ogata may be merciless towards a strong foe, but he's not a bully of the weak at all from what I've seen. Ogata saved hermit from being murdered all those years ago; saved Kenichi in the forest; returned Kenichi calmly to Elder even when his offer of teaching was rejected; he was concerned for Kenichi being destroyed by Odin and he saved Ryuuto even though he lost.

Not to say Ogata is a saint or tolerates those foolish enough to provoke him, but he has no philosophical hangups about being kind when the whim takes him, nor does he harbour any hatred for the weak or bully for the sake of it. That's why he's all the more dangerous when he gets serious....he fights and gets stronger for the love of the fight, not out of any complexes like Odin.
Amirali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-03, 01:13   Link #2042
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Would've agreed with you both, but I still think Kekkaishi is better than this series. At the very least, if all else is equal (which it arguably is, though I still put the advantage towards Kekkaishi) the animation is much more consistent than Kenichi. I mean, some episodes just looked fugly.
I agree. Kekkaishi definitely takes the shounen crown this season, but on the other hand I'd have to say that Kenichi has better pacing. Kekkaishi just seemed to drag on for a while during Gen's predicament, whereas Kenichi has been constantly a good balance of humor and action that gets bigger and bigger. Despite the inconsistent quality in animation (love is blind...), the value of simple entertainment that Kenichi provides is just easily consumable.

Still, overall Kekkaishi stands as the one with more polish and better execution. The potential is definitely there, but at the same time it just might continue on as being the sleeper gem that it currently is.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-03, 01:50   Link #2043
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

Personally i thought Kekkaishi sucked. I've tried to watch tice, first time i got as far as ep6 second ep10.

It had its moments true, but it lacked something that Kenichi has.It's all a matter of taste i suppose, some liked it some didnt
Tiamat's Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-03, 01:54   Link #2044
Leedizzle

Anyone else think the Saint of Fists could match any of the masters besides the Elder?
Leedizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-03, 04:59   Link #2045
Angrypokstick
So....its you.....

meh, judging by the manga saint of fist can not stand against any one of the masters.
Angrypokstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-03, 10:35   Link #2046
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

lol no chance in hell. Have to remember he was initially a student of the masters. While he's certainly a high level, i doubt he's upto the masters levels yet, and none of them (including the masters) are at the Elders level. Remember in the first episode where he tells Kenichi he's never been beaten, then in a later episode where he tells Kenichi about his life of fighting >.<
Old 2007-10-03, 10:37   Link #2047
Messerschmitt_Bf-109
y hello thar

I want a season two.
Messerschmitt_Bf-109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-03, 11:01   Link #2048
richvh

Spoiler:
richvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-03, 11:12   Link #2049
kujoe
from head to heel

Ogata seems to be on the master level for me as well. If he actually stayed in Ryouzanpaku, I bet he would've been teaching martial arts as well. He'd probably be one of the younger ones like Shigure.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-03, 13:47   Link #2050
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Still though...we are lacking a good master vs master NO LIMITERS scene - i guess ma kensei's fight with his bro was pretty close to that but it was too short >_<
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Would've agreed with you both, but I still think Kekkaishi is better than this series. At the very least, if all else is equal (which it arguably is, though I still put the advantage towards Kekkaishi) the animation is much more consistent than Kenichi. I mean, some episodes just looked fugly.
good guess
Havent seen kekkaishi myself so i cant comment on that - but for me kenichi wasnt all serious as it was mainly comedy that can adapt to become serious if needed - i mean the final fight was ment to be "ZOMG someone is gonna die!!" but i ended up laughing my ass off when kenichi was taking on the forms of his masters (and feeling the tension as well! O.O) - quite an amazing feat :3

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-03, 14:05   Link #2051
ZippyDSM
Incoherance is my friend!

kekkaishi is good,pretty solid more so than naruto it dose have some filler but its been a pretty good show.

Probably one of the best action/fantasy shows I have seen this year
ZippyDSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-03, 22:43   Link #2052
ZODDGUTS

Kekkaishi is freaking great nothing more needs to be said, so watch it now!
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-03, 23:26   Link #2053
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Ok guys nuff with Kekkaishi, lets get back on topic.
Old 2007-10-04, 07:58   Link #2054
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
what topic? the series is over...OOOVVEEERR!!

*sobs*

/(T-T )
Old 2007-10-04, 08:16   Link #2055
richvh

The manga still continues!
Old 2007-10-04, 13:19   Link #2056
Forbearance

I think the "x-factor" that people have been referring to for this show is that Kenichi is an individual with incredibly high moral character. He's a very virtuous, compassionate individual which is why people are attracted to him.

Truthfulness, Compassion, and Forbearance are the ultimate principles of the universe according to the teachings of Falun Dafa. It's my understanding that this is one of the biggest reasons why people like these types of stories so much.
Forbearance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-04, 14:21   Link #2057
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

hmmm for me the x-factor has nothing to do with kenichi's ideology, but rather the connection between the chars and their VA's, and the way they interact together in the series. The chars and VA's seemed to have 'clicked' right away, and didnt need any building, from the outset they were awesome.

Kenichi's personality and morals are nothing new anymore, and ive seen other shows where the characters were similar and they failed. Though admitedly, his 'not hitting women' thing was bloody funny at times
Old 2007-10-04, 16:16   Link #2058
Armandhas

i just watched the final ep, yes this late *hides in corner out of embarresment*, but i feel like theres gonna be a season 2 any info bout that??
Armandhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-04, 16:50   Link #2059
richvh

No information about a second season yet.
Old 2007-10-04, 22:40   Link #2060
Tiamat's Disciple
Disciple of the Flames

If they have any sense they'll wait till next year to allow the manga to get far enough ahead to give them material to make it off of.

Tags
action