AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-11-09, 13:38   Link #1
Panzer Bandit
Serfectly Pober

Running Media Player Classic off a USB drive

Quick question: is there a way for me to run MPC w/ CCCP off a USB drive?
Panzer Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-09, 14:00   Link #2
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I know that under Mac OS you could do this, but CCCP isn't necessary there. I presume you're on Windows, so I'd guess not. You could run MPC, but CCCP requires an installation (unless they've been working up some magic that I haven't heard of, which would be rather neat).

If you want to test, do the installs, but install to that USB drive. I'd guess that MPC would work, but CCCP probably needs to be fully installed. Altnernatively, you could try installing VLC media player to the drive, and just use that. VLC isn't that popular of a player, but it is self-contained and doesn't make use of CCCP.
Old 2007-11-09, 14:22   Link #3
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I'd guess that MPC would work, but CCCP probably needs to be fully installed. Altnernatively, you could try installing VLC media player to the drive, and just use that. VLC isn't that popular of a player, but it is self-contained and doesn't make use of CCCP.
In that case you could try mplayer, which generally has better softsub support than VLC and is self contained too, so as far as I'm ware there shouldn't be any problems with launching it from a USB drive.

As far as MPC goes, you could get by around with using it's own internal filters, however that would get you as far as splitting the most popular media containers and audio decoding, however it doesn't come many with internal video decoders, so MPEG4 playback wouldn't work (IIRC). Unless someone compiled MPC with all the needed decoders (that is if such a thing is possible at all) - this is just highly theoretical.
Old 2007-11-09, 15:02   Link #4
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Why wouldn't it be possible to compile it Martino? Another idea may be to make it set itself up when called, then restore back whatever files were altered and die when the job is done or if the storage medium (were MPC and other installed files were located) was removed.

It would indeed be a neat and flexible thing to have around.
Old 2007-11-09, 15:30   Link #5
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
I'm on for mplayer. You would just need to get the binary codecs and configure the path where mplayer is supposed to look for them to a folder in your USB drive, and it should work without issues.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-09, 16:29   Link #6
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

It's more a question of running a MPC/CCCP combo from a removable drive, not of using a solo-app for playing videos. Think of it like this: "I don't like apples, I want oranges."

That's were my personal interest in the topic lies. If the OP's intention was simply of playing videos from a stand-alone app then making use of MPlayer is a quick solution.
Old 2007-11-09, 19:18   Link #7
Nicholi
King of Hosers

The problem is you can't use DirectShow filters without registering them first. MPC by itself requires nothing special and could be thrown on there, but ffdshow, Haali Media Splitter, and VSFilter need to be registered.

MPlayer is the best idea for this because its completely internal. Put it on the USB drive with all the binary codecs from the mplayer webpage and you should be able to play almost anything.
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-19, 02:37   Link #8
Panzer Bandit
Serfectly Pober

Sorry, I know this is late, but thank you all for the responses. I apologize for not putting the reason before, but I was looking for a good stand-alone media player to take with me in case I couldn't bring my laptop around. I was hoping for some kind of magic workaround with MPC w/ CCCP because I like it and I'm not a big fan of VLC (although I'll admit it gets the job done in most cases). I'll look into mplayer now, though.
Panzer Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-20, 11:45   Link #9
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

http://portableapps.com/

Let the nice people on portable apps do the hardwork for you

It has mplayer and vlc on their repo
Old 2007-11-20, 12:04   Link #10
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
http://portableapps.com/

Let the nice people on portable apps do the hardwork for you

It has mplayer and vlc on their repo
That's just pointless (and they are losing their own time I guess), that is getting the application from their site and not the official one since those applications are already portable AFAIK.
Old 2007-11-20, 12:17   Link #11
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
That's just pointless (and they are losing their own time I guess), that is getting the application from their site and not the official one since those applications are already portable AFAIK.
I wouldn't agree with that. Lots of people like to have things simplified and served up for them. Portable Apps is just another option for the OP to choose to use or not. They actually might have a look at it and go ooo I wanted my web browser on a stick, I wanted that application etc etc. Knowledge is good and Portable Apps isn't pointless. It maybe overkill for the OP but certainly not pointless.
Old 2007-11-21, 00:30   Link #12
Nicholi
King of Hosers

No fontconfig in their build though, so if you are going to be watching any softsubs that actually have styles... .

It's true for mplayer (and VLC) you don't need any sort of "special" premade portable version at all. It's already portable...you just use it. Nothing required to be installed or used in the registry. However of course not every mplayer build is created equal, since you can link different libraries and leave out some stuff. Though most of the truly required stuff is default. Not many people link against fontconfig though it seems for full SSA/ASS support .

Edit: And that version is only 1.0RC1...rather old. There are much better builds to use, even if they don't contain fontconfig.
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-27, 11:48   Link #13
westbluef
The Jesting Fool

Actually, I think I have a solution to your problem.
Using a little software you can run almost anything on portable apps and i mean almost (you still can't run some applications on it and
it's still on beta.)
http://portableapps.com/node/9909
Just remember to read the readme thoroughly or you will have some problems