AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-06-19, 10:01   Link #541
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
I paid $350 for a used 60gb Ps3(wanted the backwards compatibility with Ps2 and PS1 games), and $35 for VC. Well worth it IMO.
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-19, 21:55   Link #542
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
I was just playing my VC clear file and I wanted to make this comment...

I HATE "FLOWER OF THE BATTLEFIELD."

That mission SUCKS.

I'll admit; I liberally use the Strategy Guide... and its guide to an A Rank on Flower of the Battlefield is clearly wrong. I cannot follow it and hope to win, let alone get an A. I forgot how much it thwarted me the first time through and the second time was no better. I had to change things up from the guide quite a bit to get that coveted A... and I think I did it faster than attempting to follow the guide... All I can say is that Cezary and Knute really earned their pay this time around.

Anyone else... what's your most hated mission in the game?

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-20, 02:07   Link #543
kalbron

Is that the "defend the camp" mission? I think I only lost it twice, and that was when a cheap ass scout/engineer would pop out of the grass and use three CP and run the entire map into the base out of sight of my units.
kalbron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-20, 07:47   Link #544
Woopzilla
Desensitized

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Spoiler for Chapter 16:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbron View Post
I think I only lost it twice, and that was when a cheap ass scout/engineer would pop out of the grass and use three CP and run the entire map into the base out of sight of my units.
Yea, happened once to me... really annoying. But I then positioned my units in a way so that my crossfire would stop anyone like that.

Spoiler for Mission positioning details:

Last edited by Woopzilla; 2009-06-20 at 07:58.
Woopzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-20, 08:01   Link #545
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Send a message via MSN to grylsyjaeger
Quote:
I was just playing my VC clear file and I wanted to make this comment...

I HATE "FLOWER OF THE BATTLEFIELD."

That mission SUCKS.
Don't even bother using the Edelweiss would have been my first piece of advice. I used Rosie, Largo, Marina and Aika. Marina shot and killed the sniper and two elites to deprive the enemy of CP first up and anyone she could see in the later turns.

Largo ran up to the crest and waited for a chance to blow the Medium Tank with the flamer up before going on a rampage behind the heavy tanks.

Rosie hid in the grass for interception fire against the Shocktroopers and Scouts whilst Aika scouted the grass for AT teams for Rosie to get with her flamer at her discretion.

Worked pretty well. Then I read the guide and things got real easy after that. ;D

Quote:
I don't hate any of the missions in the game since they all offer a great challenge. I used to loathe the latter missions that seemed daunting at first but if you approached them logically it was easy to get A first time through.

I jest not, I got A rank on every mission except for Breaching Jaeger's Blockade and Vassel Bridge (something about that area messed with me) on my first time through the game.

"It doesn't mean much, we never had a chance."
grylsyjaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-20, 08:25   Link #546
JagdPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalbron View Post
Is that the "defend the camp" mission? I think I only lost it twice, and that was when a cheap ass scout/engineer would pop out of the grass and use three CP and run the entire map into the base out of sight of my units.
EXACTLY.

That drives me insane. And for some reason my troops, especially Rosie, would just sit there and watch the enemy run by without putting up any interception fire.

Old 2009-06-20, 08:47   Link #547
jwai

Just completed the Fouzen missions. Gregor definitely got what he deserved.

How do you guys make best use of Shamrock? Edelweiss is already quite the CP sink, and it gets worse trying to handle both tanks at once. Shamrock also suffers quite a lot from 'jack of all trades' syndrome, because while its weapons can be chopped and changed, they aren't nearly as powerful.

Also, how do you best make use of flamethrowers? I've been struggling to figure out how to get it to match up against my usual trick of blowing the enemy out of cover with a mortar or grenade, and then finishing up with normal gunfire.

As an aside, if Edelweiss didn't already look like a Panther tank, it does now after getting the Reinforced Body upgrade.

Last edited by jwai; 2009-06-20 at 08:57.
jwai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-20, 11:15   Link #548
The Lord of Hats

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwai View Post
Just completed the Fouzen missions. Gregor definitely got what he deserved.

How do you guys make best use of Shamrock? Edelweiss is already quite the CP sink, and it gets worse trying to handle both tanks at once. Shamrock also suffers quite a lot from 'jack of all trades' syndrome, because while its weapons can be chopped and changed, they aren't nearly as powerful.

Also, how do you best make use of flamethrowers? I've been struggling to figure out how to get it to match up against my usual trick of blowing the enemy out of cover with a mortar or grenade, and then finishing up with normal gunfire.

As an aside, if Edelweiss didn't already look like a Panther tank, it does now after getting the Reinforced Body upgrade.
With the Shamrock, outfit it with the flamethrower attachment as soon as possible. The mortar isn't as strong as the Edelweiss's, and the gatling gun just isn't really worth it. Which brings me to my next point: Flamethrowers.

It takes a fair amount of investment to get them to the point where they're worth it, and you have to be confident about charging the enemy, but used correctly they'll tear the enemy to shreds. Just run up in the enemy's face, right in front of their barricade, and burn them. The ace flamethrowers, as well as the upper-level ones, can pretty much ensure that unless they dodge, they die. What's especially useful is that you fire in the entire arc, so with a bit of planning, you can burn multiple enemies. I've gotten up to four kills at once, and that's just with a trooper flamethrower; the Shamrock flamethrower does more damage, has a longer range, and I believe a wider arc.
The Lord of Hats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-20, 13:25   Link #549
JagdPanther

Yes, I make liberal use of the flamethrowers. In my clear file I just passed the mission in which you obtain the best Imperial flamethrower from the one Ace. I immediately equipped it on my second most used Shocktrooper (Lynn) behind Rosie so now I've got two unstoppable forces with MAGS-30Rs and VB FW 2s. It's so gratifying to just wipe enemies off the map like their flies.

Old 2009-06-20, 15:23   Link #550
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Quote:
Yes, I make liberal use of the flamethrowers. In my clear file I just passed the mission in which you obtain the best Imperial flamethrower from the one Ace. I immediately equipped it on my second most used Shocktrooper (Lynn) behind Rosie so now I've got two unstoppable forces with MAGS-30Rs and VB FW 2s. It's so gratifying to just wipe enemies off the map like their flies.
Put the VB WF 2 (g)s on MP 5(g)s; insane amount of firepower when you get close enough.

Old 2009-06-20, 17:07   Link #551
kalbron

The VB WF 2 (g) can one shot pretty much any enemy. Except, perhaps, Ex Hard black uniform troopers who dodged it.
kalbron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-20, 17:46   Link #552
JagdPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallschirmjager View Post
Put the VB WF 2 (g)s on MP 5(g)s; insane amount of firepower when you get close enough.
The MP 5 (g) is one of the Imperial weapons I feel is markedly inferior to the top Royal submachine gun, so it's the only one I don't use.

Old 2009-06-20, 23:00   Link #553
grylsyjaeger
Onani Master

Quote:
The MP 5 (g) is one of the Imperial weapons I feel is markedly inferior to the top Royal submachine gun, so it's the only one I don't use.
Really? The damage it does against vehicles makes it a constant companion to Rosie. Coupled with her Double Attack attack potential she can destroy most tanks without any damage boost orders.

Old 2009-06-20, 23:25   Link #554
dago2682
Nodoka Fan

Quote:
Out of curiosity, has anyone applied the Valkyria themes and/or backgrounds to their PS3s? I noticed them when I was buying the DLC and I've been running the VC theme on my PS3 ever since. I really like it.
I have it and i love it,my first DLC buy are going to be VC DLC,which one is do you guys like more?.
Old 2009-06-20, 23:43   Link #555
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

Quote:
Out of curiosity, has anyone applied the Valkyria themes and/or backgrounds to their PS3s? I noticed them when I was buying the DLC and I've been running the VC theme on my PS3 ever since. I really like it.
Yeah. Right after beating Valkyria Chronicles, I realized just how plain and boring my PS3 menu was, so I wen to see if they had any themes on Valkyria Chronices. Lo and behold, my PS3 menu is now gifted with a theme of one of my favorite games of all time.
Old 2009-06-21, 00:04   Link #556
Guppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallschirmjager View Post
Really? The damage it does against vehicles makes it a constant companion to Rosie. Coupled with her Double Attack attack potential she can destroy most tanks without any damage boost orders.
I can see how that would work brilliantly in tight, cluttered terrain, but in the open field I just found the troopers' mobility too limited to get close enough with the short-ranged Imperial SMGs.

My favourite tank-hunter on open maps was Alicia with a Gallian A20 and the Demolition Boost order. Plenty of mobility to circle around for radiator shots (especially if Double Movement goes off), Resist Crossfire allows her to handle all but the thickest of enemy opportunity fire, and Mysterious Body takes care of any health you lose. Highly inefficient for killing single tanks, but 6 CP isn't too bad for knocking out three enemy tanks spread across the width of the map in one turn.
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 00:06   Link #557
Runty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
I can see how that would work brilliantly in tight, cluttered terrain, but in the open field I just found the troopers' mobility too limited to get close enough with the short-ranged Imperial SMGs.

My favourite tank-hunter on open maps was Alicia with a Gallian A20 and the Demolition Boost order. Plenty of mobility to circle around for radiator shots (especially if Double Movement goes off), Resist Crossfire allows her to handle all but the thickest of enemy opportunity fire, and Mysterious Body takes care of any health you lose.
You know, in all honesty, Alicia is simply broken when given order boosts.

I hope that when they make a second VC, they make it with multiple difficulty settings for the story levels. And that they make the higher difficulties EXTREMELY hard.
Runty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 00:16   Link #558
Guppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runty View Post
I hope that when they make a second VC, they make it with multiple difficulty settings for the story levels. And that they make the higher difficulties EXTREMELY hard.
It seems to me that this issue is about more than just the difficulty level. The entire basis of the game, and particularly its scoring system, encourages you to stack orders and potentials in the most broken way possible and run around the map like a maniac on one-man/woman death-or-glory runs, leaving your most powerful unit (the Edelweiss) gathering dust on the sidelines because it's an inefficient way to spend your CPs.

Play the game in a more cautious and sensible manner, on the other hand, and you get hopeless scores - and worse than that, on some maps the enemy keeps calling in reinforcements turn after turn, and eventually you have to either go for the blitz or lose.

I'd strongly suspect that simply increasing the difficulty level without modifying this game philosophy would just end up with even more frustrating save-and-reloads in the middle of every kamikaze run for the flag, rather than making the game a more satisfying experience overall.
Old 2009-06-21, 00:32   Link #559
Runty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppy View Post
I'd strongly suspect that simply increasing the difficulty level without modifying this game philosophy would just end up with even more frustrating save-and-reloads in the middle of every kamikaze run for the flag, rather than making the game a more satisfying experience overall.
At the very least, they should nerf scouts by making them less durable. Give shock troopers more of an attacking role.

Maybe it's just me, though. I play Fire Emblem games a lot, and those are TOUGH. You really need to think when it comes to those games.
Runty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-21, 00:44   Link #560
Guppy

Quote:
At the very least, they should nerf scouts by making them less durable. Give shock troopers more of an attacking role.
I don't think scout HP is really the main problem; shocktroopers are already much tougher, and I'd always want to use them as my front-line assaulters if I could.

The reason I rarely did, though, was because shocktroopers take too long to get to the destination and I'd get crap scores - not to mention that the enemy would also have time to call in stacks more reinforcements and take extra lancer/sniper/tank shots at me while my troops were running over.

Lessen the many and varied penalties the game imposes for taking extra turns to achieve the objective, and I'd have shocktroopers for my spearhead every single time.

Quote:
Maybe it's just me, though. I play Fire Emblem games a lot, and those are TOUGH. You really need to think when it comes to those games.
True, but personally I found late-game Pegasus Knights in FE to be nearly as broken as late-game Scouts in VC. (Granted, though, I've only ever played FE6/7/8.)