AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-01-31, 01:03   Link #701
Seitsuki
Onee!

We're talking about the COUNTRYSIDE. Cars can only go so many places. Bikes are much more versatile, carry-able at need even, and there isn't an Asian alive who doesn't know how to react to a bike. (namely ignore you and pass at high speed while uncomfortably close..)
Besides it's not for travelling, that's what the rail pass/buses are for. This is just for sightseeing.
Old 2010-01-31, 22:47   Link #702
Tenken's Smile
Eternity Wish

How much money should I bring on the trip?
Someone said she stayed at an inn for $20/night, but I doubt it's that cheap in Japan 0_0

Quote:
When travelling in Japan, it's best to hire a car. Go anywhere, see anything.
Just curious: Doesn't the shinkansen stop to pick up passengers every 3 minutes?

Last edited by Tenken's Smile; 2010-01-31 at 23:14.
Tenken's Smile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-01, 00:34   Link #703
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikita View Post
We're talking about the COUNTRYSIDE. Cars can only go so many places. Bikes are much more versatile, carry-able at need even, and there isn't an Asian alive who doesn't know how to react to a bike. (namely ignore you and pass at high speed while uncomfortably close..)
Besides it's not for travelling, that's what the rail pass/buses are for. This is just for sightseeing.
I'm not sure about routes outside of Tokyo, but if I remember correctly, you're not allowed to carry a bicycle onto a train or subway without first putting a cover onto it. That usually means taking it apart and then bagging the pieces. Outside of wheelchairs, I have never seen an unbagged bicycle on a train. People usually leave them outside of the station, and then pick them up when they return.

Also the police is much more diligent about ticketing and taking away unattended bikes outside of designated bike parking lots. You should also bring a lock to stop people from stealing the bike; it's rare, esp. when compared to places like Manhattan, but can happen.

Buses outside of the major metro areas can be hard to find. I remember reading recently that unprofitable routes (and/or those with few passengers), esp. those in the mountains (for example), had closed. Taxis might be your only choice if a train does not go there. Renting a car is doable as well, but check to make sure you can get an international driving permit that is accepted in Japan first. Otherwise, you have to first pass the written and road tests to get a JP license, which for a vacation, is not worth it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenken's Smile View Post
How much money should I bring on the trip?
Someone said she stayed at an inn for $20/night, but I doubt it's that cheap in Japan 0_0
You can find cheap hostels in places. When I went to Kyoto, I stayed at a business hotel for under 10,000 yen per night, but convenience-wise, it wasn't super great. There may also be really cheap business hotels near the main train station that offers rooms for less than that, but those usually fill up fast. One at Nagoya (right next to Nagoya station) had singles for 4,000 yen per night, but by the time we got there by 16:00 or so, every one was gone.

Most of the rooms (outside of perhaps travel packages geared toward foreigners) are quoted on a per night and per person rate. That means if your room is quoted at 10,000 yen per night, that is usually 10,000 yen for you and 10,000 yen for your friend who is staying in the same room. Single person rates may be available, but you do need to ask first to make sure.

Quote:
Just curious: Doesn't the shinkansen stop to pick up passengers every 3 minutes?
I don't think even the shinkansen trains running during the "rush hour"-like period come every 3 minutes... Maybe 1 per 15-30 minutes? Not enough leeway for errors if it was that fast. Regular trains (JR and private liines) do run that fast during rush hour - about 1 every 5-10 minutes outside of then. The electronic signs (given in JP and EN) will let you know of the next 2-3 trains' schedules, though.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!

Last edited by LynnieS; 2010-02-01 at 00:46.
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-02, 14:53   Link #704
SirJeannot
AT Field

yes, depending on the line and type of train (i.e. nozomi vs. the rest ), you should get one every 15 minutes. and it's really fair enough!
however, get the japan rail pass (7 or 14 days) because it's quite costy to travel around w/ the shinkansen.
note: you can only buy a "pass" outside japan from a travel agency for example, and once you get in japan, you can exchange it at a JR desk if you have a travel visa (i couldn't get it the first time because of my intership visa). and it's only at that time that you chose the validity period.
on the way to the narita express, there is a JR desk still inside the airport. but it's not really a problem considering there is one in all the major stations

edit2: beware of the express/semi express/local system. I made a fatal mistake the very first time.

Last edited by SirJeannot; 2010-02-02 at 18:33. Reason: details & details
SirJeannot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-02, 19:29   Link #705
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJeannot View Post
yes, depending on the line and type of train (i.e. nozomi vs. the rest ), you should get one every 15 minutes. and it's really fair enough!
My friend from Nagoya mentioned that there is a surcharge for shinkansen when sold out of Tokyo as well. Ideally, getting a travel pass while you are still outside of Japan is best, but if it's not going to be cost-effective, then people might want to keep this in mind. There are also night buses that you can use to go to major metro areas, and while they are not super comfortable (but inexpensive), you can sleep on them to some degree.

Quote:
on the way to the narita express, there is a JR desk still inside the airport. but it's not really a problem considering there is one in all the major stations
Not every station, major or not, will have English-speaking employees there all the time, though. Tokyo Station is likely the best one - outside of Narita Airport's. I tend to hear English announcements there for times when someone is looking to meet an incoming traveler. There is also a "concierge" desk down in the "B1" floor that may be of help.

Quote:
edit2: beware of the express/semi express/local system. I made a fatal mistake the very first time.
It might be good to bring a piece of paper showing the kanji for these, yes... As well as the ones for the stations that you want to go; English should be used, but you don't get a huge amount of time before the doors close. Not really a huge problem if you miss a stop - unless you are traveling on the shinkansen...

Old 2010-02-03, 14:33   Link #706
SirJeannot
AT Field

we did book the seats before actually going there to avoid that. In our case, we took 8 times the shinkansen, and it was really worth it with the 7 days pass at ~150€.
Nightcoaches arrive pretty early, well the one i took to Kyoto anyway, before 5... -_- it was too early for my mighty sleep

I forgot the english speaking aspect By major I meant Ueno, Ikebukuro, Shinjuku, Shinagawa & Tokyo

It was only about being on time (i missed my meeting the very first day I spent there!) and ensuring arriving at all in this city halfway to kawagoe.
If the whole city name is too much, the first and last kanji are usually enough. The names on the plans inside the trains are written in small characters so it's not always easy to spot from far away, especially if the train is packed.

I can't wait to go back there!
You're currently staying there?
Old 2010-02-03, 15:40   Link #707
lixuelai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Thanks to all who advised on possible itineraries for the Japan a couple of weeks ago. After considering the input and the transportation options, I came up with something that makes sense to me and I wanted to run it by you all for feedback.

Day 1 - Fly into Tokyo. 4 nights (covering Sanja Matsuri)

Day 5 - Kiso Valley via Shinkansen to Nagoya. Hike Nakasendo Road Magome-Tsumago. Spend the night in Tsumago.

Day 6 - Rail to Matsumoto, bus to Hirayu Onsen. Spend the night at Hirayu.

Day 7 - Bus to Takayama. Stay at a ryokan in Takayama.

Day 8 - Bus to Shirakawa-go. Spend the night at a Gassho-zukuri minshuku.

Day 9 - Bus to Kanazawa. Spend the night in Kanazawa.

From there I can return to Tokyo, but I also note that it's a relatively quick rail trip to Kyoto from there. I could theoretically go to Kyoto (which I did hit in my first trip but, hey, it's Kyoto) and perhaps spend a night at a temple lodging at Koya-san (which I didn't hit on that trip). That would of course suggest the purchase of a full JR pass rather than a regional one.

Does all that sound feasible? It's a lot of travel, I know, but I do travel light.
I studied abroad in Kanazawa. Such a nice city as it was a cultural center but is not as fast paced as Tokyo and Osaka.

You can probably do Kyoto/Osaka in 1-2 days. I would suggest doing that. You've only seen half of Japan if you did not go Osaka. Got to eat some okonomiyaki as well

p.s. I just noticed that you said Kyoto is a quick rail trip from Tokyo. It is not that close lol.
lixuelai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-04, 20:02   Link #708
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well. I've done it - and I did say "relatively" quick. In this case I actually meant quick from Kanazawa - which is about 2-2.5 hours from Kyoto by JR.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-07, 06:55   Link #709
Noctis Lucis
It's how you think.

Quote:
Common misconception 1; it IS one train every 15 minutes if you could take the Nozomi. JRPass does NOT cover that, so the timing is closer to once every HALF-HOUR.

For example, the Hikari 507 Westbound starts in Tokyo at 0933, and the next Hikari, 467, is at 1003.

Same with the Kodama (the train to take to Mt Fuji area), Kodama 647 departs Tokyo at 1026, and the next one, 649, at 1056.

In fact, train patterns are usually like N-H-N-K-N-H-N-K, one train in 15 minutes. But the Nozomi complicates matters; thus it'd be wiser to consider it as once per half-hour.

Still, use Hyperdia http://www.hyperdia.com/ to plan your routes, especially in the countryside.

Quote:
Pretty true. It can be confusing. Remember to plan ahead. Especially in my hometown, Shibuya. There's so many kinds of trains in Japan, and the definition of one kind of train could change between companies... OUCH.
Noctis Lucis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-14, 07:44   Link #710
RandomGuy
ここに居ってんねん

Quote:
Originally Posted by lixuelai View Post
You can probably do Kyoto/Osaka in 1-2 days.
Now, there's an itinerary I'd like to see...
RandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-18, 15:08   Link #711
SirJeannot
AT Field

Noctis Lucis > you're right, and my phrasing was wrong. thx for hyperdia, very convenient!

bad news : travel postponed
Old 2010-02-18, 19:15   Link #712
RandomGuy
ここに居ってんねん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
rom there I can return to Tokyo, but I also note that it's a relatively quick rail trip to Kyoto from there. I could theoretically go to Kyoto (which I did hit in my first trip but, hey, it's Kyoto) and perhaps spend a night at a temple lodging at Koya-san (which I didn't hit on that trip). That would of course suggest the purchase of a full JR pass rather than a regional one.
Just beware that Mt. Koya is an additional 2-3 hours from Kyoto, depending on your timing. You have to switch to Nankai Railway in Osaka (probably at Shin-Imamiya if you're using the Japan Rail Pass for JR), then buy a ticket for the rest of your trip up into the hills. Dinner at temple lodgings generally starts around 5-5:30, so you'll want to get there early.

In short, it's certainly doable to go from Kanazawa to Kyoto to Mt. Koya in one day, but just realize you're not going to be spending much time in Kyoto.
RandomGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-18, 20:45   Link #713
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomGuy View Post
Just beware that Mt. Koya is an additional 2-3 hours from Kyoto, depending on your timing. You have to switch to Nankai Railway in Osaka (probably at Shin-Imamiya if you're using the Japan Rail Pass for JR), then buy a ticket for the rest of your trip up into the hills. Dinner at temple lodgings generally starts around 5-5:30, so you'll want to get there early.

In short, it's certainly doable to go from Kanazawa to Kyoto to Mt. Koya in one day, but just realize you're not going to be spending much time in Kyoto.
Well, my new plan is this... I think I'll go from Kanazawa to Kyoto, spend two nights there, and leave for Koyasan on the morning after. After Koyasan, I'm just do a long rail day back to Tokyo (5 hours according to Hyperida). I cut out a night in the Alps for an extra night in Kansai.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-04, 20:35   Link #714
Tenken's Smile
Eternity Wish

My friends and I are planning a trip to Japan in the summer. I think we should go by tour because we aren't familiar with Japan. May I ask:
1/ Where should we book our tour tickets?
2/ Where should we visit? What festivals will be going on in the summer?
Old 2010-03-04, 23:03   Link #715
yoropa
Director

I personally think that if you visit a foreign country you shouldn't go on a tour. Explore it on your own. You'll also end up interacting with more locals this way, and that's how you'll really learn the culture and stuff.

I used to want to go to Japan so badly but... I don't know, I suddenly just don't want to anymore. Just... I don't think I'd enjoy it regardless of my anime fandom and interest in their language.
yoropa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-05, 10:55   Link #716
LynnieS

Quote:
My friends and I are planning a trip to Japan in the summer. I think we should go by tour because we aren't familiar with Japan. May I ask:
1/ Where should we book our tour tickets?
2/ Where should we visit? What festivals will be going on in the summer?
Sunrise Tours is pretty popular. They don't really do the entire package tour thing (think Club Med where airfare, hotel and so on are included), though, I think. I tend to just hop onto a train when I'm in the mood to travel, so I don't have much experience with tour companies.

For travel in the summer, however, I would definitely recommend your not going to Kyoto. The city was insanely hot, and it was just not pleasant hiking around the city. Outside of the city was not too bad, however, but it still was an experience.

Old 2010-03-05, 11:25   Link #717
Tenken's Smile
Eternity Wish

Thanks yoropa and Lynnie.

I think of going on tour because I don't want to miss on anything.

Quote:
Explore it on your own. You'll also end up interacting with more locals this way, and that's how you'll really learn the culture and stuff.
Even if I just plan to stay in Japan for 1-2 weeks? The Japanese people are very busy, right? Would they take the time to guide me?
Old 2010-03-05, 12:07   Link #718
LynnieS

Quote:
I think of going on tour because I don't want to miss on anything.
It depends on what you are looking to do, IMHO. If this is your first - and perhaps last - trip to Japan, then going on a guided tour where there is an English-speaking (or whatever language is your primary one) guide who will show you the key sights in the attraction is not a bad thing. At least you should have a chance to see the main sights in the place before leaving.

There are places like restaurants, small out-of-the-way temples, hiking trails and so on that will not be covered, but chances are, you won't be able to find them easily - if at all - by yourself. If you only have a short period to go sightseeing, doing a tour is okay.

Quote:
Even if I just plan to stay in Japan for 1-2 weeks? The Japanese people are very busy, right? Would they take the time to guide me?
You're not likely to find many people willing to go with you, I think - although if you're cute (or thought of as cute/attractive by someone), I could be wrong. If you just go to an area with an itinerary already and then ask for some quick help, that is usually not a problem.

Old 2010-03-06, 11:34   Link #719
yoropa
Director

You don't need people to go with you, just make small chat with various people, and definitely check out small, non-corporate shops. Those people usually don't expect to get foreigners, so they usually are quite interested in why you're there and stuff. This is from my travel experiences, though. If you do want to see all the sights and whatnot a tour will do it but you don't have real moments to interact with the locals if you do that.
yoropa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-07, 07:31   Link #720
Rajura
My wolfu is >> your waifu

I was planning on going this summer before starting residency. When I told my mother, she inisisted I should wait until I finished and delay such wasteful gratification (that'd be another 5 years)... my father was fine with me going and enjoying myself before getting my butt kicked with 80+ hour work weeks. I mean I want to please my folks, but I haven't lived under their roof for years, and it's not like I have been a rebelious son, who has done questionable (or worse) things.

I relented to please her... I mean the flight would have been $1300 round trip (not bad all things considered), but there would be other expenses, and I am monstrously in debt. I mean, come on I've delayed gratification my whole life... why stop now (slight sarcasm here on this last part). Then she calls me up yeasterday and tells me she wants me to go and enjoy myself and that they'll pay for it (only now the flights would be >$1700). I hated it, but I had to decline... I can't have my family dropping cash like that especially when I know how costs have risen... I'd feel so guilty. I told her that it was for the best that I did not make such a trip and that I should be more mature in making these kinds of decisions (oh, how bitter that was to say). Now, I won't be able to make the trip until AT LEAST five years from now (and of course there's a good chance I won't be able to go then because of the possibilities of a wife and very young children... i.e. I would still be in debt and dirt poor at that point).

Frustration... 'tis my life-long companion! Oh that and nachos... nachos have been there with me too!

Tags
japan, travel