Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-02-25, 08:21   Link #1561
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Exactly. Could people actually think about Ryuu's reasons for saying such a thing people jumping the gun, and disliking him.
I don't think anyone dislikes him. And there isn't a real gun to jump, his motives and intentions were clear. Now it's a question of what he will do next, and I think he is going to be the lonesome guy at the end for her sake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waven View Post
No I think it was pretty clear he did that because he was really worried about her rather than out of selfishness, I thought he was easy to read. What I think he did wrong here was to some extent forget that after all Chizu's still a girl with delicate feelings and not so much the tomboy one might think she is. I'll conclude my thoughts about the arc after next episode otherwise I'd unconsciously be spoiling which is really hard not to.
Ryu had no tact, just like Chizuru usually is. But this is a unique and delicate situation, which Ryu didn't quite recognize at first. However, what he said wasn't totally wrong, I think if he added a few more sentences explaining himself, it wouldn't have been so bad. But he is a man of few words.
Old 2010-02-25, 09:02   Link #1562
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I don't think that Ryuu intended to emotionally harm Chizuru, but the guy is incredibly clueless.

I was disappointed in Ryuu in this episode because he never struck me as quite this clueless before. Besides, sometimes it's not what you said or what you intended to say, but simply how it was received. Even if the other person took your words as worse than what you meant... sometimes you still should apologize for the unintentional harm you caused.

Ryuu should have been looking to apologize to Chizuru in the later portions of the episode. If he wasn't, why the heck did he bother to stop her? Just so he could say more tactless lines?

Oh well, at least he got a lot of bread for his troubles...
Old 2010-02-25, 09:39   Link #1563
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Kazehaya has a point. Sometimes doing nothing is really the best thing to do. Kazehaya is such a fucking saint does he not have any character flaws?

So... uh was I supposed to laugh when she finally burst? The first part was handled really well and really showcased Ryuu relative suckage at tact, but I wasn't sure if Chizuru's explosion was meant for dramatic effect or for amusement. I actually laughed through the whole thing. I might be a horrible person.

It felt rather... awkward. Actually the episode felt awkward at parts. Maybe I watched the episode wrong.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-25, 10:25   Link #1564
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I don't think that Ryuu intended to emotionally harm Chizuru, but the guy is incredibly clueless.

I was disappointed in Ryuu in this episode because he never struck me as quite this clueless before. Besides, sometimes it's not what you said or what you intended to say, but simply how it was received. Even if the other person took your words as worse than what you meant... sometimes you still should apologize for the unintentional harm you caused.

Ryuu should have been looking to apologize to Chizuru in the later portions of the episode. If he wasn't, why the heck did he bother to stop her? Just so he could say more tactless lines?
This is about what I had been thinking about Ryuu, he seems like an understanding guy and then he's that blunt, holy! Would any of you guys be that blunt to a crush whose just been crushed in real life? What Ryuu said strikes me as what a close gal friend should be saying, here it feels like Ryuu is trying to use his brothers engagement as a leaping off point in his own romantic activities. And I also don't consider 5 years to be a huge age difference in marriage but that one's just me.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-25, 11:10   Link #1565
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Kazehaya has a point. Sometimes doing nothing is really the best thing to do. Kazehaya is such a fucking saint does he not have any character flaws?

So... uh was I supposed to laugh when she finally burst? The first part was handled really well and really showcased Ryuu relative suckage at tact, but I wasn't sure if Chizuru's explosion was meant for dramatic effect or for amusement. I actually laughed through the whole thing. I might be a horrible person.

It felt rather... awkward. Actually the episode felt awkward at parts. Maybe I watched the episode wrong.
Kazehaya's flaws:

1: He has an awful jealous streak (although he restrains himself)
2: He doesn't take his own advice all the time

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-25, 13:40   Link #1566
brain
house music addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
This is about what I had been thinking about Ryuu, he seems like an understanding guy and then he's that blunt, holy! Would any of you guys be that blunt to a crush whose just been crushed in real life? What Ryuu said strikes me as what a close gal friend should be saying, here it feels like Ryuu is trying to use his brothers engagement as a leaping off point in his own romantic activities. And I also don't consider 5 years to be a huge age difference in marriage but that one's just me.
I think it is simpler than that because Ryuu is not only straightforward in his actions but also blunt in his words. Ryuu has recognized for many years that Chizuru was infatuated with Tohru but, unlike Chizuru, Ryuu knew to recognize Tohru's feelings toward Chizuru as being completely unrelated to romance. It is no surprise to Ryuu that Chizuru would eventually end up suffering rejection by Tohru. Regardless of his own interest in her, as a close friend, he noticed this all along.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-25, 17:22   Link #1567
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

All the debate about Ryuu's behavior shows that this matter has been double-edged from the start for him: On the one hand there is his motivation as her (childhood)friend on the other side are standing his romantic feelings, those two opposing sides intermingle and create a situation that wouldn't be the same if he was just a friend or just romantically interested. So he is actually not doing anything right or wrong but reacting as his character is supposed to, he has to stumble across certain things so they work out in the end just like Chizu needs to experience the hard way for her to get her first love over with, after all she was only able to throw a tantrum after Ryuu was that blunt.
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-25, 17:51   Link #1568
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
I agree with you, yeah.

I get that Ryuu is internally conflicted, but still... even if he's relieved that Chizuru now knows that she has no chance with his brother and hence it's good for her to move on, he doesn't have to say so with such incredible bluntness. I get what he's trying to get across to her, but really, like you said, this is more something that one of Chizuru's close gal friends should say to Chizuru if she's still pouting over Ryuu's brother a week later or more.

But... oh well. I'm certainly willing and hoping to watch Ryuu clear things up and get his relationship with Chizuru back on good footing again.

Kimi ni Todoke sometimes plays these friendship/relationship dynamics a bit off-kilter, but it does lead to greater drama and more comedic moments.
Old 2010-02-25, 18:47   Link #1569
GreatTeacherKen

Quote:

While her crying is over the top, I think it fits Yoshida's personality. She's always been the more emotional one compared to Yano, and her extreme outburst is a sign that she's back to normal.
GreatTeacherKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-26, 00:46   Link #1570
takan

I loved Sawako's "Mou DAMEDAAAA!!" I didn't think Mamiko Noto could make sounds like that. She sounded like she had a mouthfull of cotton.
takan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-26, 03:07   Link #1571
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTeacherKen View Post
While her crying is over the top, I think it fits Yoshida's personality. She's always been the more emotional one compared to Yano, and her extreme outburst is a sign that she's back to normal.
That's pretty much how I see it. I was glad to see her finally let it all out.

And it occurred to me that Ryuu might have been treating her the way he did on purpose just to force her into getting in touch with her own feelings. He knows her as well as anybody and could probably tell that she was stuffing her feelings. So he was willing to let her take it out on him. That might be giving him a little too much credit, but it crossed my mind.

There hasn't been a single episode in this series that I've felt any kind of disappointment with. It's been a very pleasant ride so far and I'm looking forward to the rest of it.
Old 2010-02-26, 09:33   Link #1572
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushi View Post
There hasn't been a single episode in this series that I've felt any kind of disappointment with. It's been a very pleasant ride so far and I'm looking forward to the rest of it.
Even the recap episode?
Willen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-26, 14:21   Link #1573
Mushi
Hopeless Dreamer

Eh, recaps are recaps. I would have rather seen a story episode, of course, but this one was kinda' fun because of the tiny men getting drunk... and Pin at the end. Not what I would consider "disappointing."
Old 2010-02-26, 21:44   Link #1574
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

No, anything but jeans! The horror, the horror! Even if they were referencing Chizuru wanting to show off her miniskirt, that scene was pretty funny.

ABSOLUTE DESPAIR...

The horror, the horror!

Quote:

Yeah, it felt kinda awkward. In a sort of anti-climactic way, since instead of angst over losing her crush it's a more whiny, all-about-Ryu complaint where she actually excuses all of Ryu's tactlessness...
Old 2010-02-26, 22:30   Link #1575
babohtea

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
Yeah, it felt kinda awkward. In a sort of anti-climactic way, since instead of angst over losing her crush it's a more whiny, all-about-Ryu complaint where she actually excuses all of Ryu's tactlessness...
Eh, I think the point of the episode was to stress that the situation was a lot more complex than the "angst over losing a crush".

Also, it wasn't really just her whining about Ryuuji. I don't know if you've ever been in the situation, but sometimes when people break down they say really stupid things. They'll cry and repeat the same thing over and over while bawling their eyes out. To any unfamiliar bystander, the person must look like an idiot, but close friends will realize that more feelings than what's being expressed in words are involved.

She's a teenager pushed to the point of crying publicly in school; I wouldn't exactly expect an oratory masterpiece detailing the intricacies of the current state of her soul.

Ryu's tactlessness also isn't really a point that was meant to be emphasized. He doesn't really lack tact: Compared to the other characters in the stories, he knows better one of the hardest rules to grasp in etiquette: when to keep your mouth shut. In fact, some of his bluntness can be considered brave. Remember when Sawako and Ayane were commenting on how they "couldn't do anything"? While their helplessness is, to a degree, real, a lot of it is really that they're too scared and too unsure of their friendship to say anything. Later on, Sawako and Ayane are still building up confidence to finally get Chizuru to let out her feelings, it's Ryuu who actually comes and "saves the day".

She needed to explode, and Ryuu was the only one who knew her well enough to know how to help her.

Don't feel targeted, Dragon. I'm not trying to prove you wrong or anything, but a lot of the people here believe that Ryuu was being insensitive, while I think Ryuu actually knew what he was doing. The entire episode would have lost meaning if Chizuru didn't finally explode, and I thought it was obvious that the real reason for the explosion wasn't Ryuu, but (as Sawako and Ayane kept on hinting at) Tooru's engagement. She never exploded from that, and the entire cast was sort of waiting for it to happen. When it did happen though, a lot of people seem to think it was because of Ryuu o_o.

Last edited by babohtea; 2010-02-26 at 22:41.
babohtea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-02, 17:02   Link #1576
Katapan
俺様祭り

Hey, it had been a while...

Spoiler for Episode 21:
Old 2010-03-02, 17:13   Link #1577
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katapan View Post
Spoiler for Episode 21: