Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-08-06, 17:42   Link #701
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKeR View Post
*takes out desert eagle*

NOT.... GONNA.... HAPPEN.... Hand over the girl... and i swear my trigger finger wont itch to shoot.... MAJO CHAN IS FOR EVERYONE!
How did you bring that through the metal detectors? POLICE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
*Injects potassium cyanide into tron's IV drip*

Ok guys, now he is out of the way, every one else can have a much larger share!
We've got your fingerprints on the syringe. We know where you live. We have your relatives phone numbers and we even know what you had for breakfast. Be afraid.... be vewy vewy afwaid

My MAJOxMOMO-chan are private property!

Er topic topic... So, uh, how bout that Alice eyecatch. Anyone claim her? No? Consider her mine
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 02:18   Link #702
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by D0rYn View Post
^ It's quite the opposite, in my opinion. I think that drama with occasional moments of comedy fits this show much better that all the fairy tale stuff. It makes everything feel more serious, and less cheap.

From my point of view, this single episode raised the value of the whole show.
Yeah, all I'm saying is that I'm not expecting this much seriousness and drama judging from the first episode. It's not unwelcome, in fact I agree with what you said that this is good for the show. I'm just afraid that like a few other shows that starts out as comedy before taking a more serious turn, they usually forget the original fun (I think they call it Cerebrus Syndrome or something?) Fortunately, this is not the case in the last episode, and hopefully it stays that way for future episodes as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
We wish him the very best dreams of his M girls.

You know, it just hits me of what else it could mean...unlike the last one, I'm sure this one is unintentional though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
As much I love Ringo and Ryouko's back story, I find myself enjoying Ryoushi's section of the episode much more. Maybe because girls like Ryouko we've seen way too many times in anime with almost identical past at the point where any sort of tragic past seem kinda meh, then the storytelling will decide whether there will be sympathy for the character. In this case, there is huge satisfaction seeing BOTH Ringo and Ryouko are being so honest with each other rather quickly. The progression of the relationship is more in line with real life situations as opposed to idiot Korean dramas (don't kill me over this line) that are built upon multiple misconceptions and bad timing.

I love honesty; and by honesty, I mean the words that you truly want to say without being influenced by the image of yourself through others' eyes. This is how character progression should be. This is not cliche because this IS how people are supposed to be.

Still with these kind of character progression I still find Ryoushi much more interesting. There is nobody to help him to get adapted. Poor bloke just fell in love through stalking the girl. There is no pretense with him, doesn't act tough, doesn't wallow in self pity, completely caring, and most importantly knows exactly what he wants AND works for his goal. There is no special trait about this guy, yet he is the ideal guy that most girls would probably like from the sideline (which girl wouldn't want an OBSERVANT guy who is completely devoted to you).

Haven't been this pleased by a male lead for a while.

For once it is nice to watch a novel adaptation with zero knowledge of the original, and with that said someone already translating the first novel to Chinese. So tempting!
Yeah, loyalty and honesty is my favorite traits, nice to see the show depicts it so well in this episode. And I agree that it's a great character development for the girls, although because it's in a flashback, that means it already happen, is it still the right tense?...No matter though, it still good.

And to be honest, your description of Ryoushi has caused me to see him in a whole new light, much different then when I first saw his sniveling form in the first episode. Yeah, if you put it that way I agree that he's the best male lead in the shows I saw this season, probably one of the best male lead I've seen since...I don't know, Kou Kitamura and Ken Sugisaki. If he continue to improve, could he break the K-initial domination?
Saturn Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 02:31   Link #703
Dahak86
Classics never age

jk/
poor mangatron, these are not easy times for him... there's people who wants to suffocate him with a Minna pillow (or was it a Sanya one? ) while he's asleep, people who wants to shoot him dead, people who wants to inject poisonous sostances in his veins, and the list goes on...
/jk

Cheer up, bud. Look.. Majo-chan wants to give you a lollipop!

Spoiler for Lollipop for M-tron - (a bit nsfw):
see? she cares about you.
Old 2010-08-07, 03:46   Link #704
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

You call that a bit NSFW? O.o *wipes blood flowing from nose*
I mean it's just a lollipop short of full-on unadulterated Majo-chan goodness! \o/
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 04:52   Link #705
Suzumiya Haruhi
Destroying the balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
Ask, and you shall receive
Spoiler:
It's miracle!

Nice to see Ryoushi swings the same way I do. *cough* Mhm.

The Otaku Spot - My anime & manga reviews, musings, and pointless rants...
Suzumiya Haruhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 05:52   Link #706
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzumiya Haruhi View Post
It's miracle!

Nice to see Ryoushi swings the same way I do. *cough* Mhm.
Wow thx for bringing back Hypernova's post I completely missed that!
Excuse me I must now find nose plugs.
ttdestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 06:02   Link #707
ZeKeR
Superbad

now..... WHEN WILL RYOUSHI BECOME A MAN?!?!?!?!?
Old 2010-08-07, 06:26   Link #708
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

It's epistaxis galore in this thread.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 10:16   Link #709
klare

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttdestroy View Post
Wow thx for bringing back Hypernova's post I completely missed that!
Excuse me I must now find nose plugs.
a wallpaper form will be nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeKeR View Post
now..... WHEN WILL RYOUSHI BECOME A MAN?!?!?!?!?
he is already a man by confessing and protecting his girl, but he has sickness... not his fault
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-07, 23:40   Link #710
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak86 View Post
jk/
poor mangatron, these are not easy times for him... there's people who wants to suffocate him with a Minna pillow (or was it a Sanya one? ) while he's asleep, people who wants to shoot him dead, people who wants to inject poisonous sostances in his veins, and the list goes on...
/jk

Damn, I wasn't originally a majo-chan fan, but even that is almost enough to make me a rabid fan...I said, almost, guys, don't drag me in your silly assasination attemptsm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
It's epistaxis galore in this thread.
Thanks, I learn a new word today...
Old 2010-08-08, 05:50   Link #711
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
You know, it just hits me of what else it could mean...unlike the last one, I'm sure this one is unintentional though.
Lol. I told you I won't hide anything anymore. It's no secret there's more than one meaning to 90% of all my posts, and this time was no exception. That last line was the most difficult line in the paragraph, and I decided not to wrap the M in quotes or brackets like I usually do to see who can misconceive it You'd be surprised how many meanings the last line has:
Spoiler for mangatron's radical thinking:

I wonder if this is why I need more sleep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak86 View Post
jk/
/jk
Just goes to show,.... I got good taste in my girls (Read: the girls everyone wants)

Quote:

Oh, thanks Majo-chan.

Let's toast lolipops

I feel like I just stepped into the zany zone from the real world
Yeah, I was playing with the iPhone 3G. Bad camera quality concerning brightness.

Someone's got to put a lolipop into Momo-chan's mouth
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-08, 06:59   Link #712
Dahak86
Classics never age

OMG
what did you...? my god.. what did I...? I-I wasn't expecting that.. Do I have to think twice before posting any pic from now on?

Quote:
Lol. It's no secret there's more than one meaning to 90% of all my posts.
That also reminds me how I failed so bad with that "prego". I sincerely apologize for that. I blame Crunchy, they put all those italian words in the subs, they confused me!

Quote:
I feel like I just stepped into the zany zone from the real world
probably.
You're slowly reaching japan otaku levels... next, I'll see you on Sankaku: "Major western otaku going crazy over Majo-chan" or "Western otaku to celebrate Majo-chan birthday". /jk

now.. when is her birthday, exactly?
Old 2010-08-08, 08:22   Link #713
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

We shall find that out soon. And if I find it out first, then I'd have to keep that vital piece of intelligence from getting into mangatron, at all costs. >:3 Well, unless he has something to exchange it with.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-08, 08:40   Link #714
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
hey guys, lets form a Majo-chan fanclub!!
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-08, 10:47   Link #715
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Quote:
Lol. I told you I won't hide anything anymore. It's no secret there's more than one meaning to 90% of all my posts, and this time was no exception. That last line was the most difficult line in the paragraph, and I decided not to wrap the M in quotes or brackets like I usually do to see who can misconceive it You'd be surprised how many meanings the last line has:
Spoiler for mangatron's radical thinking:
Okay, I was expecting a double entendre for that one, not a quadruple one...looks like our discussion doesn't just involve looking at the anime for hidden meanings and foreshadowing, but your posts as well. And yeah, you practically put the last line on a silver platter for me, but let's not turn this thread into SYD's student council, nee?

Quote:
I wonder if this is why I need more sleep...
Ahh, but how do you know for sure that you're not asleep right now, and in fact already having too much of it?

You're not the only one who can throw Inception references
Old 2010-08-08, 13:13   Link #716
Dahak86
Classics never age

finally some gifs
and as I did for Asobi ep4, here's the best one (imho) =>
Spoiler for Epic gif - two variants:
Old 2010-08-09, 04:39   Link #717
Etherdrone
The Questgiver

Episode 6.

I still have not pointed forward my main thoughts about this series, so it shall be done. Now.

Follow the exciting adventures of a probably illegal club, that's oddly supported by the principal, making him a criminal that makes high schoolers work like Loan Sharks, but who cares?

The main character, Ookami Ryouko, is a blunt-on-the-edges broadsword that fails at being herself, fooling everyone into believing she is what she is trying to be. Of course, that does not fool our other two members occupying the marvelous chair of Main Character.

(And probably the entire supporting cast from the club, called Otogi Ginko, or Bank in case you don't like reading wapanese.)

The other two main characters, being Akai Ringo, a cute girl that speaks like Miew from Tales of the Abyss while being the biggest Loan Shark in history of mankind, and Morino Ryoushi, a guy that is a wimp in public, but becomes gruff and manly when speaking through the telephone and with all his skill points added onto sniping, are attracted by Ryouko's person fail atbeing-ness and eventually grow fond of her.

In rather painful - in Ringo's case - or simply sad and facepalm-worthy - in Ryoushi's case - ways.

----------//----------

Now, this show is good. It takes a while to get over the narrator in case you dislike Arai Satomi's voice. Because she talks, a lot. Sometimes over completely silent scenes, sometimes over the conversation at hand.

Not everyone happens to be a Satomi's voice fan, sadly. They need to be converted.

This show, mostly comedy-oriented, is a gag machinegun against all things Fairy Tale-istic. If you have a slight idea or knowledge on Fairy Tales, chances are you are going to get a reference once, at least every episode, on a certain Tale.

Mostly everything is focused on the Bank's job at being Loan Sharks. Lending their help at people that ask for it, and then putting them in the "you owe us a favor" radar when the job is done.

We still do not know what happens with people that do not pay their debts, but I assume they are dragged onto a dark room and castrated with a rusty scissor.

Or something equally bad, in case the 'victim' is a woman.

As the show progresses, we get some deeper info about the main characters. How Ryouko acts tough and mighty, but is actually a frail girl that'd rather be protected by your manly knight in shining armor than stand up on her own foundations and for herself.

How Ryoushi loves her for actually being a frail girl that wants her ManShield.

And how Ringo fits onto this, I still do not know. We did not get this far into the series yet.

The supporting cast of this show is unique, and not always in a good way.

There's the guy that crossdresses (Kiriki Liszt), the girl that's there to look smart and talk smart (Kiriki Alice), there's the maid (Tsurugaya Otsuu), the crazy scientist (Majo. I don't know her full name at all), the chubby-unpopular-girl-turned-hot-because-of-the-power-of-love (Ryuugu Otohime), and the guy that's the girl previous mentioned's loved one and her... "Stress Relief" machine, if you know what I mean (Urashima Tarou). Wink wink, nudge nudge.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't hate these characters. But sex jokes don't really sound nor look that funny to me, so Otohime automatically loses 40 points for half her purpose in the series is to rub her tits on Urashima's bollocks.

The purpose of the maid is also unclear. Is she the show's maid and that's it? ...Huh. Of course, we get to know more about her in episode 4, but I still feel zero appeal towards her. But she has points for having tits, or at least very noticeable ones.

*Ahem*

The rest of the cahracters still have chances to appeal to me, but so far all of them are just cannon fodder.

Being a gag-oriented anime does not mean this show doesn't have drama. The latest episode being a reminder that even comedy shows can have that. Some people might not be convinced... While others might, or will.

And now, onto the spoilerrific spoiler tag for my review on episode 6.

Spoiler for Episode 6:

I personally am enjoying Ryoushi a lot in this series. He is easily the best thing to happen in this show. He is so unique and fun, I cannot help myself but to expect his scenes more than the rest.

Not only he is straightforward with his feelings, but he actually goes after them with a passion someone so coward like him should be proud of. He declared his love twice in this series already. This guy is a hero.

Now for the other part!

I don't have anything wrong with the stereotype of women. They exist, this is the society we live in. But I have a major complaint about you, Ms. Ookami Ryouko. Listen well.

What "being a woman" means to you? What does "being girly" mean? Does it mean you have to be protected all the time? Does it mean you cannot raise your fist towards someone?

I do not believe we have to behave "way G" because we are women. Everyone is different. Everyone has their own personalities and behavior. Being yourself does not mean you are something else entirely.

Just because a woman wears combat boots and pants, that does not maker her any less girly. Just because a woman practices martial arts and kicks everyone's asses in a brawl, that does not make her manly.

She is being a woman that wears combat boots and pants. She is being a woman that fights.

If you want to be a woman that is protected all the time and needs a Knight in Shining Armor, that's fine. Be. But don't make the world look at us like we all are like that, because we are not.

You can fight. You can stand up and be independent. You can be tough. That is what you are. Don't fool yourself into believing otherwise, just because the world says so.

Yes. Sorry for the inconveniently long post. But I had to do it.

Etherdrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-09, 04:48   Link #718
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Hmm.... I don't really get what your complaint with Ryouko is....... Nih?
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-09, 05:01   Link #719
Etherdrone
The Questgiver

My complaint is that she passes the image that girls are not exactly supposed to be different than the female stereotype. She needs a gruffy man to protect her, she cannot stand by herself without breaking apart.

Then again, I am complaining about the image she displays. An overly insecure girl that acts buff for rather painful reasons. She doesn't need to try to be what she is not, you know. But the main question is:

What Ryouko actually is? The frail "I need help" girl, or the "I can fight for myself and be independent" girl? What part of her is the play, and what part of her is real?

It's like the author did not know what kind of personality to give her...

Etherdrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-09, 05:13   Link #720
sikvod00

You can be strong, independent-minded and still rely on people from time to time. That's what having friends\family\a lover is for. Ryouko is having to learn that despite her traumatic past , she doesn't have to be lonely and constantly put up a defense towards others. Relying on those close to you is NOT a sign of weakness; it's a sign that you are human.

This anime definitely doesn't mind batting around the whole stereotype of what being "manly" and "girly" is, though that's implicitly how most animes of these types are anyways. And they really keep trying to push the fact that Ryoushi is secretly GAR\"manly", even though the audience is well aware of that by now. We get it, no need to beat us over the head by having someone assert how manly he really is every episode.
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, romance, shounen