AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2011-07-22, 23:23   Link #101
james0246

What a fun popcorn film. Hell, it was better than that. This was a decent war film, great action film, and good dramatic film all rolled up as an extremely good comic adaptation. The entire second act was pure gold (the first act was also very good, but the CGI of Evans 'smaller' body was a little distracting at times (not because it was bad, it was extremely well done, but because I was constantly aware of the CGI), with some great character development, very good acting, and a nicely involving and evolving storyline, and a romance that doesn't feel tacked on or superfluous. And the set-pieces, while simple, were still very well done (I loved the montage sequence transitioning between acts 2 and 3). Additionally, much like Thor, this is the most organic Marvel film yet, with all the references to the other films feeling less tacked on, but actually intrinsic to the plot.

This is easily one of the best of the pre-Avengers franchise, and probably even the best of the franchise to date.

That being said, the third act was a little rushed (with a key characters death feeling a little underwhelming), though the finale was very well done. But, the bookends of the film, set during "present times" felt uneven with the rest of the feature (I would have preferred an extra long post-credit film in which Capt. America is discovered then revived, rather than the prologue and epilogue the film has (The Avengers trailer after the feature, though, is a nice touch.))

All in all, this is a very well done production that leaves me eagerly awaiting the upcoming Avengers movie. 80/100.

Last edited by james0246; 2011-07-23 at 08:52.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-23, 08:36   Link #102
tarachi
Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Wow. Just wow. This movie was amazing. Best Marvel movie yet, in my opinion. Also, for the love of all things good, stay for the post-credits scenes.

Spoiler for Post-Credit Scene:
...... wow can't wait, film will start on wednesday here...
tarachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-23, 23:32   Link #103
james0246

I just realized something. Both Chris Evans (Captain America) and Chris Hemsworth (Thor) will be in the next movie together. God, I hope there is a plot device that will get them both in the same room with their shirts off (if Scarlett Johansson could join in, that would be even better )...
Old 2011-07-24, 02:41   Link #104
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Such a great movie! Pride into America!
Afternoon Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-24, 08:53   Link #105
yeahitschris

great movie, but sad ending!!

Spoiler:
Old 2011-07-24, 21:34   Link #106
iceyfw

that was a pretty damn good movie adaption for captain america. the ending was really bittersweet to me and made me sad for steve rogers

also i just want to ask people who knows what happened to the chick who was in love with captain america

Spoiler for about her:
iceyfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-25, 08:49   Link #107
justavisitor

it's just a wild guess, but
Spoiler for about her and speculation on the ending:

I never follow the comic so it could be wrong...please forgive my mistake (if any) I hope other who knows the comic could answer this question better
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
justavisitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-01, 08:42   Link #108
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Saw this tonight. I liked it. I liked it a lot. it was no where near as corny propaganda as I thought it would have been.

Chris Evans was great and quite likeable - although I found the romance to be a little stiff at times. Hugo Weaving was great too, he can play evil characters so damn well. He just has the face for an evil overlord.

The special effects were good too, I liked the weapons Hydra had quite futuristic, and I loved the flying fortress. That was sweet.

I also like how it tied in plot elements from the other movies too, that was finely crafted if I do say.

Spoiler for spoiler stuff:

..Yeah post credit scene was awesome.

Curious though, how much of what happened tied into the comics? Was there as much cross series references then too?
Old 2011-08-01, 09:06   Link #109
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Saw this tonight. I liked it. I liked it a lot. it was no where near as corny propaganda as I thought it would have been.
That's the clever part; Captain America was created originally as corny propaganda. So in this film they made corny propaganda part of his backstory.

Instead of the film being corny, you have the characters acknowledging the corny history in the plot itself, but also justify its existence as a vital part of the war effort. War Bonds are serious business no matter how you look at it.
Old 2011-08-01, 09:10   Link #110
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Finally got a chance to see this yesterday. Pretty good flick. I really liked Red Skulls car. Unfortunately I was forced to watch this in 3D. I already have glasses, I don't want another set of glasses over my glasses.

Spoiler for my one nitpick:
Old 2011-08-01, 09:57   Link #111
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Curious though, how much of what happened tied into the comics? Was there as much cross series references then too?
A lot of it tied into the comics, but they changed a bit (obviously). First, Bucky "left the war" at the same time as Cap, on the exploding jet. Though he was stuck on the jet (sleeve) while Cap was blown away when it exploded. Second, they went with the current, badass iteration of Bucky instead of the old, Burt Ward (Adam West's Robin) version. Third, the Howling Commandos were formed by Nick Fury, not Captain America. Fourth, the jet that Cap and Bucky disappear stopping was made and launched by Baron Zemo, not Red Skull.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-01, 10:20   Link #112
james0246

^They obviously couldn't have Nick Fury (who had some connection to derived Super Soldier formulas in the comics...I think) show up, but they should have inserted a Father or Grandfather Fury (which is what I assume the black soldier on the squad was supposed to be, at least until the credits rolled and the Fury name didn't pop up).

That being said, I liked the inclusion of Zola (especially the first shot of him, which looked like his current ESP box headed body), but I missed any mention of Baron von Strucker (who helped the Red Skull create HYDRA)...though I guess he could appear as the new head of HYDRA in The Avengers. I also assume that Baron Zemo will appear in The Avengers, if only to introduce the Masters of Evil...
Old 2011-08-01, 10:26   Link #113
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^They obviously couldn't have Nick Fury (who had some connection to derived Super Soldier formulas in the comics...I think) show up, but they should have inserted a Father or Grandfather Fury (which is what I assume the black soldier on the squad was supposed to be, at least until the credits rolled and the Fury name didn't pop up).
Yeah, he had a derived serum that slowed his aging or some crap. I prefer this way, since there's really no need for Fury to be that old. As for the black soldier, that's probably Private Gabriel Jones.

Quote:
That being said, I liked the inclusion of Zola (especially the first shot of him, which looked like his current ESP box headed body)
Yeah, I loved that too. I was wondering if they were screwing him by putting him like that from the get-go, but it was just a nice easter-egg.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-01, 20:32   Link #114
ReddyRedWolf

Having just watched Captain America I have to note two McGuffins throughout the filmverse.

1. The Cosmic Cube/Tesseract, Casket of Ancient Winters, and that New Element in IM 2 are made up of the same stuff. Tony Stark is just scratching the surface of applied technologies by the Asgard and Frost Giants. Each civilization had different hardware. Odin made a cube, Frost Giants made a box that freezes, Howard Stark intended to harness the element with Arc reactor technology.

Thing is Asgards and Frost Giants made one of a kind prototypes. No Plans, No Prototype, No Backup. Tony Stark can make a mass produced element version harnessed by Arc Tech. Only question is the quality of the element.

The new element is key to creating... a Bifrost bridge.

The new element is essential to tap to the world tree wormhole network.

This how the Frost Giants traveled to Earth under their own power using the Casket of Ancient Winters and limitless powered their civilization . Asgard had similar technologies with the Cube and Bifrost bridge.

How would Thor come back to Earth? Two ways new element Arc reactor or the Cube.

2. The Super Soldier Serum , its prototype and derivative copies each had different effects due to their composition and the characteristics of their hosts.

Bruce Banner/Hulk- Banner used a derived version of the serum but instead of using the same Vita Ray setup he used Gamma Rays.

Johann Schmidt/Red Skull
- He used a prototype version of the serum which led istability and a transformation similar to the Hulk but halfway through.

Emil Blonsky/Abomination- A derived version of the serum is used without radiation initially which led to some instability. He further topped it by injecting the Hulk's blood which his serum upgraded system assimilated.

Samuel Sterns/Leader- Instead of muscles and the like only his head is affected by the Hulk's blood.

Steve Rogers/Captain America- The finished original super soldier serum stabilized by Vita Rays has left his no known averse side effects.

Other theories:

The Ten Rings is the modern incarnation of Hydra.

-
Spoiler:
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-10, 12:34   Link #115
Pringles

Lol, best movie I have seen all summer >.> I'm going to see that Apes movie today though.
To be honest this movie reminded me of Indiana Jones but I really liked this movie :)

One complaint: I really didn't dig seeing Red Skull's ugly mug all that much :p Hugo Weaving's face is much more evil and expressive.
Pringles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-10, 14:08   Link #116
Rurik
Golden

Hugo is a beast, and his voice and manner of speaking is just awesome, he is also one of the most, if not the most present actor in pop culture movies. What a resume: Matrix, V for vendetta, LOTR, Transformers, and Now Capt America.

And Just want to see how he speaks in this movie.