AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kill La Kill

Notices

Old 2013-10-03, 21:56   Link #361
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchierkeWiking View Post
Meh, who knows?, maybe this show will play a Madoka on all of us and end up being a meaningful and deep tale about the human condition and then I'll have to eat my words.
Oh, please no. Keep it far away as possible.
ACertainStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-03, 21:58   Link #362
erika4dsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchierkeWiking View Post
maybe this show will play a Madoka on all of us and end up being a meaningful and deep tale about the human condition and then I'll have to eat my words.
I do actually think that they'll take the story towards this direction. The mention of Hitler in the beginning and the grotesque and warped ideologies that fuels the dictatorial and hierarchical setting, man they can go deep with this anime. If everything is about revenge and fighting then this anime would get redundant. Goodness I'm so excited to see where this story goes.
erika4dsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-03, 21:59   Link #363
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

The first episode was really awesome. However, I think it decayed in the last minutes when the random and nonsensical style (which I loved) was replaced by a sensical premise.
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-03, 22:04   Link #364
Kirarakim

I don't think this story will be just style. I didnt think Gurren Lagann was just style. In fact I would say Gurren Lagann had one of the best character development arcs in anime. And here we have the same director/script writer team.
Old 2013-10-03, 22:47   Link #365
ZabiLegacy
Robo Rampage

I don't think any series can reach the heights of style that Gurren Lagann did if there wasn't something under the hood. The charachters were likeable, the battles were very well staged, the idea of of structuring the series like an outwardly expanding drill was just brilliant...
Old 2013-10-03, 23:02   Link #366
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

This was fricken bananas and just so much fun. Contender for anime of the year in the making.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-03, 23:23   Link #367
whsie

Now that was just awesome. Haven't had this roller coaster feeling since TTGL.

Definitely will watch it through the end.
whsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-03, 23:47   Link #368
xizro345
King's Justice

Well, that was...underwhelming. I was actually bored around halfway episode.. Also, while the figthing sequences are well animated, most of the non-essential scenes are rather badly done.
The use of big sentences (which isn't really something new) is amusing at first, then gets into the way.
Add a completely unlikable cast (at least for me) save for the main character and a mix of confusing ideas in story.
I have to add that I personally think GL was very, very overrated, and the issues I have with direction and scripts are present also in Kill La Kill.
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-03, 23:49   Link #369
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

Oh my geez...what did I just watch...

Rossiu's grand-daughter has turned to the dark side and subjugated the school system...

Ryoko's the lovechild of Simon and Kamina...

Boota has boobs...

And Aizen has a ton of hairgel to aid in his 'hair slick back' motion for every episode...

Don't TELL me you didn't see these similarities...
Old 2013-10-04, 00:09   Link #370
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Oh my gosh..... this was such a good opening for this series that I feel like I should type in CAPS everytime I want to talk about this series. It was really that over the top...

This series should help alleviate the absence of an anime like Attack of Titan quite nicely with some laugh as an added bonus. Loved every minute of it.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-04, 00:26   Link #371
Allium
Keep on keeping on

I could compare this first episode to Ryuuko's uniform: shamelessly flashy and ridiculous, yet stylish, eye-catching and over-the-top...in a good way!
Allium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-04, 00:41   Link #372
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Mako made me giggle so much.... She is probably the first anime character to my memory who was worried about her skirt that was following wayward to the gravity as she is hanging upside down. Usually a hanging upside-down girl doesn't worry about the gravity's effect on her clothing. She would be more worried about the boiling oil that was turning a live-shrimp into a fried-shrimp in mere moments.

Mako made me laugh so much...!
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-04, 00:51   Link #373
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I don't think this story will be just style. I didnt think Gurren Lagann was just style. In fact I would say Gurren Lagann had one of the best character development arcs in anime. And here we have the same director/script writer team.
That's what gives me hope that this might be more TTGL, less Panty & Stocking, which wore out its limited charm quickly. This premiere was a lot of fun but the premise just screams "OVA". It's only Nakashima's presence that gives me hope it might have enough gas to keep things interesting for two cours.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-04, 01:09   Link #374
takai
Easy Muffin

Thank goodness this was more FLCL-esque than anything. Which is actually a good sign for this show.

Felt too pretentious for it's own good, however.

Wasn't bad, but I don't see what all the hype was about.
takai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-04, 01:23   Link #375
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

I love how they call their power enhancement uniforms as "Goku Uniform"

My impression? The first episode just reeked of awesomeness. Heck, that word's simply not enough to describe how great this show is.

Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-04, 01:31   Link #376
ZODDGUTS

Liked the first ep, good animation and fight scenes. The music was forgettable though. Hate the Sailor Fuku battle suit for the lead, that shit is for Otaku virgins to fap over. Anyways one other thing I liked is the comedy.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-04, 01:31   Link #377
Divini
Senpai!

My brain is going to take a while to process what I just watched.

All I know is that I want more!
Divini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-04, 02:07   Link #378
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post
Liked the first ep, good animation and fight scenes. The music was forgettable though. Hate the Sailor Fuku battle suit for the lead, that shit is for Otaku virgins to fap over. Anyways one other thing I liked is the comedy.
Personally, as much as I usually hate fanservice, I was okay with what we got in this episode. Seems to me that the suit was a bit of a subversion - as the lead is wearing it because she's forced to, she tried in fact to conceal it, and when it's shown it even gets mocked, to the point that she's accused of being trying to distract her enemy with sexiness. The scene where the boxer went all "then maybe I should strip naked too" was hilarious . I felt like the whole thing was actually MOCKING the idea of the skimpy armor/outfit, rather than playing it straight. Hell, the guy even said 'I can hit you where the suit doesn't cover you, there's plenty of uncovered skin' - and then STILL hit her in her super-skimpy breast plate . This lampshade is hanged so high that everyone can see it.

The fact that the suit seems to absorb threads from defeated enemies might be a hint as well. Maybe as the series progresses the suit will become stronger and stronger while covering more and more of Ryouko's skin. In the end its full powered version would be a full armour. That'd be a nice subversion as well.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-04, 02:43   Link #379
erika4dsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
I felt like the whole thing was actually MOCKING the idea of the skimpy armor/outfit, rather than playing it straight.

The fact that the suit seems to absorb threads from defeated enemies might be a hint as well. Maybe as the series progresses the suit will become stronger and stronger while covering more and more of Ryouko's skin. In the end its full powered version would be a full armour. That'd be a nice subversion as well.
^ THIS. It felt like a parody and they pulled it off. By the end she'll have a super uniform that'll cover so much of her skin that we'll be able to hear the cheers of a hundred puritan women.
erika4dsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-04, 03:47   Link #380
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Gar?
Gar.
Garrrrr.

Tags
action, aniplex, comedy, fanservice, high school, imaishi, trigger