AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-11-13, 03:55   Link #1041
Tenzen12

I didn't realy liked this time (I found changes in their battle with Haruna and Kirishima quite very well handled, btw), but you might be right. So allow me correct myself: Manga could convey story WITHOUT toning down action... so there is no reason not be dissapointed by blatant saving budgets in this battle.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-13, 04:00   Link #1042
Ickarium

While I don't agree with you, I can understand that. I think a lot of what they've changed, they've done because it's a short anime. I mean, adding half the stuff the manga does would make it impossible to tell a story.

I do wish, however, that they'd included Maya in some way. But I'll forgive a lot for some of the scene with Iona, who due to time hasn't had as much characterization as the manga gives her, and they kept the heart of the conflict as being one of emotion. They moved the whole 'I made a bomb to destroy you' here instead of further on, but it conveys the same feeling.
Old 2013-11-13, 04:03   Link #1043
Tenzen12

I said you might be right on that (though I do think anime compressed characterisation of Haruna too much), my problem lie elswhere as I noted (twice and punctuated it on top of that).
Old 2013-11-13, 04:14   Link #1044
Ickarium

Well yeah, I just don't think they did blatant saving budgets s'all. I'm arguing academically now, rather than specifically this issue, though.

I mean, I have things I'd have loved for them to keep. I'd have loved for them to keep the Iona's mini-models. I'd have preferred if they kept the -way- that Makie's protector died or at least the same sort of feel. Basically a lot of small touches, I'd have loved for them to have kept.

But all in all, this is one of the better adaptations with changes out there, so I'm happy. I mean, we could have had something like Rosario+Vampire Season II. *shudder*
Old 2013-11-13, 04:21   Link #1045
D-Joe

D-Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-13, 04:38   Link #1046
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickarium View Post
Well yeah, I just don't think they did blatant saving budgets s'all. I'm arguing academically now, rather than specifically this issue, though.

I mean, I have things I'd have loved for them to keep. I'd have loved for them to keep the Iona's mini-models. I'd have preferred if they kept the -way- that Makie's protector died or at least the same sort of feel. Basically a lot of small touches, I'd have loved for them to have kept.

But all in all, this is one of the better adaptations with changes out there, so I'm happy. I mean, we could have had something like Rosario+Vampire Season II. *shudder*
I think they could do better job though even with changes. For example what manga lacks is advanced characterisation for I-401 crew for now. If anime did changes in that area I would approve but here is lot of changes that are only for worse (leaving out Yamato and Zoldark isn't that case, changes in Makie arc unfortunetely are). And many of these are just to keep production cost down.

Aside of that. We slowly getting harem master Gunzou who saved everyone and their grandma. It's only metter of time when (correct) accusation of him being Garry Stue will appear. I am almost sure I would have same objection even if I never read original work.

Last edited by Tenzen12; 2013-11-13 at 05:18.
Old 2013-11-13, 05:09   Link #1047
DLRevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
I think they could do better job though even with changes. For example what manga lacks is advanced characterisation for I-401 crew for now. If anime did changes in that area I would approve but here is lot of changes that are only for worse (leaving out Yamato and Zoldark isn't that case, changes in Makie arc unfortunetely are). And many of these are just keep production cost down.

Aside of that .We slowly getting harem master Gunzou who saved everyone and their grandma. It's only metter of time when (correct) accusation of him being Garry Stue will appear. I am almost sure I would have same objection even if I never read original work.
There's not much I can add to that. Fully agreed on your points.
DLRevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-13, 07:43   Link #1048
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Am I the only manga-reader here who thinks this episode is okay (if not decent)?

Considering the fact that Ars Nova already establish itself as being very different from the manga from the get go, this version of story is still well done. Sure, the story become more mediocre than the manga, the battle is not as intense as the manga, etc etc. But, at the end of the day, all of the so called "changes" still make sense in this anime's own universe. For example, there's a hint of why Iona would want to save Haruna through her brief convy with Maya previously. Hell, look at all the positive response from anime-only watchers. I can see that what the studio did actually works with the newcomers who, at this point, have more unbiased opinions toward Ars Nova than manga-readers like us.
Old 2013-11-13, 07:55   Link #1049
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

it was fine until the end which is debatable

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-13, 08:52   Link #1050
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Am I the only manga-reader here who thinks this episode is okay (if not decent)?

Considering the fact that Ars Nova already establish itself as being very different from the manga from the get go, this version of story is still well done. Sure, the story become more mediocre than the manga, the battle is not as intense as the manga, etc etc. But, at the end of the day, all of the so called "changes" still make sense in this anime's own universe. For example, there's a hint of why Iona would want to save Haruna through her brief convy with Maya previously. Hell, look at all the positive response from anime-only watchers. I can see that what the studio did actually works with the newcomers who, at this point, have more unbiased opinions toward Ars Nova than manga-readers like us.
It is fine until the end...

Still a question:
How do the 401 staff learn about Makie and what is the advantages for them?? They dont know anything about Makie before this story.

But still, cant watch Haruharu going total berserk is kinda disappointed...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-13, 09:27   Link #1051
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
Still a question:
How do the 401 staff learn about Makie and what is the advantages for them?? They dont know anything about Makie before this story.
IIRC Iona already scanned her before in the public cemetery and knew her identity. As for the other 401 crew, they didn't say anything did they? Maybe to them, they're just helping Haruna to save a little genius girl (given Iona hasn't told them anything about Makie at that point). 401 has more than enough resources to save Haruna & Makie without breaking a sweat, so why not? Considering the alternative is watching the soldiers slaughter Makie (& Haruna).

I assume taking a genius inventor like Makie under your wing will have its own advantage.
Old 2013-11-13, 10:00   Link #1052
Tim yy
SS Abysmal Gale

I actually don't mind Anime's plot diverging from the manga, at least for a devoted manga follower myself, the anime gives me something thing unexpected in each episode.
Didn't someone long ago mentioned this was an experimental anime first time animated in full 3D? Maybe it's too difficult or too costly to animate all the actions and characters this way?
Tim yy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-13, 17:00   Link #1053
Ickarium

I'm fine with it, as mentioned before, and I read the Manga. As I've said in the past, there are a few minor touches I wish they'd include, but I'm fine with pretty much all the plot-related changes thus far.
Old 2013-11-13, 17:18   Link #1054
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim yy View Post
I actually don't mind Anime's plot diverging from the manga, at least for a devoted manga follower myself, the anime gives me something thing unexpected in each episode.
Didn't someone long ago mentioned this was an experimental anime first time animated in full 3D? Maybe it's too difficult or too costly to animate all the actions and characters this way?
Weren't there Appleseed, Vexile and others before? Most of them had Actualy better action. Maybe it does use some experimental technique, but it's sad when even web serial with snippet of it's budged and staff top it with easy.
Old 2013-11-13, 18:02   Link #1055
Top Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Ok, let's have it your way. You are missing point, but whatever it doesn't look like I could convice you even if I tried. Anyway Original source did BOTH story and battle better, so there is no reason not be disappointed by blattant saving budgets.
OK, I'm cool with agreeing to disagree.

And I tip my hat to you, sir! You are a fine fellow. Our discussion was civil and respectful. That is becoming rare on the internet these days.
Top Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-13, 20:29   Link #1056
liquidmetal
procrastinating...

For some reason seeing Iona as the same height as Haruna at the end really bugged me, always thought Haruna was quite a bit taller...

Not too fussed about the divergence from the manga as it will be interesting to see how Haruna and Kirishima interact with Iona and Takao. Could change my tone though depending on how the story goes.

Has been a fairly easy watch so far.
liquidmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-14, 01:07   Link #1057
Tenzen12

Don't forget, she gave plenty of her nanomaterial on Kirishima body. I don't remember whether it was mentioned in anime, but she shrunk considerably due it.
Old 2013-11-14, 03:18   Link #1058
D-Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Most manga reader fine with that from what i see
But well,most of them also knew the anime project started at 2011,while manga still in battle of Kirishima/Haruna

And anime staff still keep ask manga author's suggestion when they making the anime,so i can see all the anime plots approved by manga authors,even changed a lot

Btw,Arpeggio's pre-order usually topping all 2013 fall animes in amazon ranking(well,Non Non Biyori above Arpeggio sometimes)
D-Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-14, 04:34   Link #1059
CrazyPerson

So Wikipedia's featured article on the main page for today is the.... Japanese Battleship Haruna!

From what it looks like, it's a coincidence since featured articles are selected far in advance.

Just thought to point this useless point of information.
CrazyPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-14, 06:03   Link #1060
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

^ Now that is one incredible coincidence .

Tags
action-adventure, alternate history, battleships, cgi, military science fiction