AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2015-12-02, 21:59   Link #1
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Fantasy with power born from pairing

Didn't know a better way to describe what I'm looking for in the thread name, but I'm looking for shows similar to Elemental Gelade. In EG, the majority of the plot line is centered on Edel Raids, an all-female race of people with mysterious powers that allow them to select a "Pledger" with whom they bond, and then whenever they choose they can grant said Pledger power by becoming a weapon. Along with a nice fantasy world and great fantasy/classical BGM, this series also deals to a great extent with the relationships between these two groups.
What I'm looking for then is fantasy stories where some special race exists that bonds in some form of relationship to an individual and either becomes more powerful for the bond or is able to create/grant power to the partner. I've seen series with this sort of concept many times, and there are plenty of interesting things that can be done with the premise. One aspect that particularly interests me is the relationships between individuals and the two groups. Typically you have some people who treat the race as slaves or tools to be used, and some groups in the race who treat normal people like disposable power sources; some view them as inferior, or superior, and others think of them as no different from anyone else. You also have many different views of the moral/ethic standing of fighting with such beings.
Aside from the pairing nature, I would prefer something close to high fantasy, possibly with a certain degree of magitech similar to Elemental Gelade and Ar Tonelico. Similarly fantastic BGM is also a plus if it's anime rather than manga. Naturally the main character must be in one of these bonds, and I'll take friendly pairing, though I prefer some degree of romantic suggestion. Just no BL please.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-02, 23:32   Link #2
jedinat

Have you seen Juuni Kokuki? One of the best anime to ever air. There's a type of being called the kirin, one for each of 12 kingdoms, who selects and is bonded to the ruler of the kingdom. They grant certain powers and the control of powerful creatures to the ruler of the kingdom. The kirin are a big part of the plot and are treated differently by different rulers, etc...
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-02, 23:42   Link #3
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Only thing I can think of would be Soul Eater with the miester-weapon bond.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-03, 04:01   Link #4
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

If you'd take a game instead Tales of Zestiria heavily uses this concept & is pretty much the sort of setting you want.

Not the exact setting you want, but Noragami uses it very interestingly.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-03, 18:29   Link #5
endarion88

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
Didn't know a better way to describe what I'm looking for in the thread name, but I'm looking for shows similar to Elemental Gelade. In EG, the majority of the plot line is centered on Edel Raids, an all-female race of people with mysterious powers that allow them to select a "Pledger" with whom they bond, and then whenever they choose they can grant said Pledger power by becoming a weapon. Along with a nice fantasy world and great fantasy/classical BGM, this series also deals to a great extent with the relationships between these two groups.
What I'm looking for then is fantasy stories where some special race exists that bonds in some form of relationship to an individual and either becomes more powerful for the bond or is able to create/grant power to the partner. I've seen series with this sort of concept many times, and there are plenty of interesting things that can be done with the premise. One aspect that particularly interests me is the relationships between individuals and the two groups. Typically you have some people who treat the race as slaves or tools to be used, and some groups in the race who treat normal people like disposable power sources; some view them as inferior, or superior, and others think of them as no different from anyone else. You also have many different views of the moral/ethic standing of fighting with such beings.
Aside from the pairing nature, I would prefer something close to high fantasy, possibly with a certain degree of magitech similar to Elemental Gelade and Ar Tonelico. Similarly fantastic BGM is also a plus if it's anime rather than manga. Naturally the main character must be in one of these bonds, and I'll take friendly pairing, though I prefer some degree of romantic suggestion. Just no BL please.
question, you want a story where everyone has said pairing powers or it is fine if just the MC pairing has said power?

anyway it is not a masterpiece but shining tears x wind does have a similiar mecanics at least for the bond power part also seiken no blacksmith

not t be rube but those are a lot of details so it's kind of hard to find something that fits all

Last edited by endarion88; 2015-12-03 at 19:01.
endarion88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-03, 20:18   Link #6
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by endarion88 View Post
question, you want a story where everyone has said pairing powers or it is fine if just the MC pairing has said power?

anyway it is not a masterpiece but shining tears x wind does have a similiar mecanics at least for the bond power part also seiken no blacksmith

not t be rube but those are a lot of details so it's kind of hard to find something that fits all
Some of that was meant to describe the shows I'd seen where this occurs, like Elemental Gelade; there's no need for the partner to become a weapon, that's just one of the ways the power can manifest. Doesn't matter if it's something everyone can do, some can do, or even only the protagonist, so long as the relationship and its implications are explored. I didn't mean to overload and make it hard to find the specifics. I just want a fantasy where there is some special "group" that has a power connected at least in part to the formation of a bond or pact to someone else, and where implications of the bond and dependence are explored. The rest is fluff, aside from the firm "No BL" rule.

BTW I am a fan of Blacksmith, and this does occasionally exhibit similarities to this; this is made more interesting still by the fact that something like 99% of this special "group" are evil destructive demons bound to the king of Hell to destroy, creating an even greater impact on the relationship between humans and the few "Devils" to manifest as people or weapons with intelligence and capacity for good.
Old 2015-12-03, 21:19   Link #7
Kurohane

Persona 4 fits as the main character gains a new power with every bond he makes with another person.
Old 2015-12-04, 07:02   Link #8
endarion88

in a sense the current airing valkyrie drive mermaid also fit but i call it a "yuri hentai with a budget" so i leave up to you if giving it a try. tho..at ep 8 finally there is actualy some plot and not only PLOT

guilty crown could also fit
Old 2015-12-04, 16:36   Link #9
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by endarion88 View Post
in a sense the current airing valkyrie drive mermaid also fit but i call it a "yuri hentai with a budget" so i leave up to you if giving it a try. tho..at ep 8 finally there is actualy some plot and not only PLOT

guilty crown could also fit
Just watched ep 1 of Mermaid. It certainly fits the bill of a paired power but... WHAT IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS HOLY WAS THAT!!!?? Sorry, I just wasn't expecting that. Obviously I'd prefer something where the power doesn't involve overt orgasms. It can be highly pleasurable and carry some major innuendo, as is the case in Ar Tonelico, but yeah, "yuri hentai with a budget" is a little too much.
Old 2015-12-04, 17:50   Link #10
endarion88

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
Just watched ep 1 of Mermaid. It certainly fits the bill of a paired power but... WHAT IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS HOLY WAS THAT!!!?? Sorry, I just wasn't expecting that. Obviously I'd prefer something where the power doesn't involve overt orgasms. It can be highly pleasurable and carry some major innuendo, as is the case in Ar Tonelico, but yeah, "yuri hentai with a budget" is a little too much.
well i did warn you ^^

also a manga that recently started but seems interesting and it does have something similiar to a pairing power, it's called gleipnir, it has only 3 chapters for now but within those 3 you get how the pairing works already. anyway as said it's only 3 chapters for now so it wont take long if you want to try it

Last edited by endarion88; 2015-12-04 at 18:05.
endarion88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-07, 16:55   Link #11
Kurohane

There's also Shaman King, where spirit mediums battle with ghost as partners.