AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-03-11, 05:08   Link #1021
EroKing

Last edited by EroKing; 2023-11-24 at 08:44.
EroKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-11, 05:17   Link #1022
Dop
Mmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syan48306 View Post
You do have to remember that the title of the series is "The Town Where Only I Am Missing"

I kind of always assumed that he would save his friends but end up being the one that gets killed in the process. If he really does die, I'd be disappointed that he didn't see all the clues up until this point.
I agree, I'd also been suspecting Satoru would end up dead, and I'm really hoping that there won't be any kind of cop-out ending.

One of the things I find is that they kind of threw suspicion off the teacher by making him seem too suspicious, I'd been thinking that was probably a red herring and it'd be someone else. D'oh!
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-11, 05:37   Link #1023
Arya

I never took this possibility into account, but if Satoru will truly die that would be a really depressing ending, but I would applaud the writer to have the guts to do so.
I can't see that happen though.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-11, 07:27   Link #1024
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Even if that's the case, it's a little early for that. I don't see two episodes worth of material being postmortem.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-11, 07:32   Link #1025
RDNexus

Why is almost everyone dead sure he's dead?
And don't give me the Real Life crap, this is a fictional story, for the fury. All chances should still be up for consideration.
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-11, 08:07   Link #1026
Arya

Well, I don't think so, just knowing there's a lot still to be adapted is enough to come to that conclusion. Or, what about Airi then? Still it doesn't automatically imply it won't happen again later as conclusion to the show.
But it would surely be less effective in comparison to this episode.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Old 2016-03-11, 08:11   Link #1027
Peanutbutter

The title is "The Town Where Only I Am Missing", not "The Town Where Only I Am Dead".

So yeah, let's believe.
Peanutbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-11, 08:47   Link #1028
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter View Post
The title is "The Town Where Only I Am Missing", not "The Town Where Only I Am Dead".

So yeah, let's believe.
No real difference in Japanese though. There's also the fact that whilst "inai" literally means 'not here', that's also the standard euphemism used when someone has passed away.

Not saying that confirms anything, just that the Japanese title is not necessarily as black and white as the English one seems to be.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-11, 09:05   Link #1029
Funkatron
Highly irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syan48306 View Post
You do have to remember that the title of the series is "The Town Where Only I Am Missing"

I kind of always assumed that he would save his friends but end up being the one that gets killed in the process. If he really does die, I'd be disappointed that he didn't see all the clues up until this point.
Thought the title came from Kayo's story, where she disappears to her own island away from her abuse
Funkatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-11, 09:09   Link #1030
Arya

^ That's what I was going to ask, too. I can't check it right now, but I remember her essay was about the town without her.

ETA: Of course it doesn't mean it can't have a double reading.

Old 2016-03-11, 09:23   Link #1031
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Ahh, the OP always tells the plot I see, if this is true then the part where Satoru falls off a building after being shot hasn't happened yet, therefore he will live.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-11, 09:58   Link #1032
Bakaizer
Demon Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
They can slide, because the belt loosens slightly to let them.
The shoulder crossing can be escaped, but the waist belt is effectively a restraint if it doesn't loosen at all

he was supposed to do that earlier
Old 2016-03-11, 11:01   Link #1033
Marina2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
Nice. This show has so few official art released.
Old 2016-03-11, 12:46   Link #1034
larethian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Does the same translator work on all episodes of a series? Because whoever translated episode 8 got it right...

Also, considering that the reading of the name can be found on the Japanese Wikipedia, why didn't they just look it up?
It's possible they are different people but I have made lots of dumb mistakes due to weariness + brainfart so I'd give the benefit of doubt that it's an honest mistake.

Really, I didn't realize an entire episode's worth of time had passed by when the ED came rolling in. Don't feel like speculating and just looking forward to the next episode. I like how he also called out Airi's name in his inner voice on top of Kayo. Like both of them are going to be relevant again though I can't see how that could happen in 2 episodes

edit: went back and checked and seems like I forgot about Mom and co as well, so forget what I said
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-11, 16:31   Link #1035
Yamada II

Episode 10
So the candies in the car were meant to lure in the shotas and lolis for killing. Bad sensei.

Satoru didn't want to believe that Yashiro could be the killer so he ignored the possibility of him being the killer. And that mistake came back to haunt him as now he's drowning in ice cold water.

Yashiro figured out that there's something off about Satoru becoming friends with his targets. He ignored the Kayo thing and the Hiromi one. But things got too suspicious when Satoru approached Aya and his suspicions were confirmed when he approached the brat Misato. And he had the situation set up so that Satoru would want to get out of that place and have to get in a car with him.

And isn't it too convenient to have a lot of similar make cars around to use whenever the situation calls for it? Or was he lying and he stole the car?

And now with Satoru drowning, there are some possibilities of what could happen now. Either someone will come to save Satoru, which I doubt, or he'll get a time jump into the future or into the past.
Yamada II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-11, 18:09   Link #1036
ReddyRedWolf

This episode reminds of the Final Problem by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Difference is Satoru didn't take his Nemesis with him. The Yashiro is James Moriarty to Satoru's Sherlock Holmes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamada II View Post

And isn't it too convenient to have a lot of similar make cars around to use whenever the situation calls for it? Or was he lying and he stole the car?
Answer he didn't own them but rented them.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-11, 19:28   Link #1037
MCAL

Considering King Leer made an appearance in the first half, I think having the culprit being so obvious was definitely the point.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-11, 21:58   Link #1038
Iron Maw
Banned

ep 10

"This ain't my car".

What a chilling line.

I'm not gonna lie, I was fairly disappointing that it did indeed turn out to be the teacher. It just too way obvious from a meta standpoint due to him being the only prominent male figure in the past besides Jun and it was pretty nonsensical to be later given what happens to him. I suppose just means this was never so much a mystery than as it was a thriller. You more or less already know the culprit is, all that left is just wait until the shoe drops on the other foot. Still I too can't argue on how well done the reveal was, the choice to go with ambivalence for lead up to it in particular was fantastic.

Anyway, had this been anyone other than Satoru I would be freakin' worried, but due to the fact he's too centralized to story to die to before the end, he'll be fine.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-11, 23:25   Link #1039
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

The reveal is simply shit. A couple episodes ago I had wondered if the real perpetrator had been revealed in the show yet because the only real option for the killer seemed to be the teacher without it coming out of left field. The show never bothered to develop anyone else besides Kayo's mother, but she seemed too stupid for that to be a real possibility.

This all goes back to the fact that this show has not been a particularly good mystery or thriller. The randomness of Satoru's time travel ability (No real consistency in how it's been used except when needed for the plot) has eviscerated the tension. There were never enough suspects to build up an intriguing scenario for who the killer might be. Satoru is a crappy detective who I could care less about as a person since the only thing to his character at this point seems to be his desire to save others. He's just plain dull.

Ultimately the show will be most memorable for its nice little tangent plot regarding Kayo's child abuse. Everything else is poorly executed schlock, which is disappointing because there was so much potential here to be a really great series.

Last edited by Reckoner; 2016-03-12 at 00:53.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-12, 00:59   Link #1040
Kenu
magoi, magoi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
Even if that's the case, it's a little early for that. I don't see two episodes worth of material being postmortem.

I think the call out line of "I know your future" is enough for Yashiro to go back and save him. Yashiro's suspicion about Satoru's powers of precognition very believable, for Yashiro to understand how those powers came to be or how to use them might be enough to lure him back.
Kenu is offline   Reply With Quote