AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-12-17, 13:41   Link #1001
Kazu-kun

I bit the bullet and watched the last few episodes.

Damn, will I ever learn? This was one of the worse finales I've seen this year. All that crap Izetta said to Sophie was specially cringe-worthy.
Old 2016-12-17, 13:48   Link #1002
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiftis View Post
This series is like Koutetsujou no Kabaneri for me. What started as very promising series, ended as a forgettable one at best.
Yeah, that is a good point.

For me, Kabaneri went downhill when Biba was introduced and the rest of the show focused on him. With Izetta, I felt like things started to get eh when Sophie was introduced. I would've loved to see more on-and-off operations with Izetta and the Elystadt military instead of this rushed package. Sophie could've been introduced in a second season or whatever and would grant more time to flesh out characters and whatnot. But I gotta give props for trying to fit it in one season with mixed results. Maybe a second season was never an option or choice.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-17, 14:12   Link #1003
Romanticide

I really wish this had been 2 cour. Kabaneri at least gets another season, which will help. But this should have been fleshed out more. It was going good until they introduced Sophie.
Romanticide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-17, 14:29   Link #1004
Kakurin
大佐

You guys are far too lenient if you say that it was going good until Sophie. It went downhill around episode 4 when it started to be apparent that there was a total lack of credible development of the characters. Izetta and Finé were the achilles heel of the series from the start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
I would've loved to see more on-and-off operations with Izetta and the Elystadt military instead of this rushed package.
12 episodes of that would be pretty boring. Just Izetta stomping the poor Germanians. Not a recipe for success.
Old 2016-12-17, 14:53   Link #1005
zeross87

oh god this serie win the awards of the one that started the most promisingly and ended so painfully bad it hurted to see.

i wish we would have a somewhat good ending but no izzeta casted a genkidama but survived and then the end....

i can't believe how bad it turned
zeross87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-17, 15:01   Link #1006
VTHokiePride

So Berkman seeks asylum in the US, but what happened to Sieg? Was hoping he didn't die there in Westria. Izetta ended the battle by using a giant spirit bomb. It seemed anti-climactic to me.
Old 2016-12-17, 15:20   Link #1007
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokiePride View Post
So Berkman seeks asylum in the US, but what happened to Sieg?
Colonel Sieg, he dead.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-17, 15:38   Link #1008
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
I swear the first several episodes led me to think this would be 24/26, but whatever
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-17, 15:40   Link #1009
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Sigh, just what I hoped wouldn't happen, in the final episode, all limitations on Izetta and Sophie's powers went out the window and the anime transformed into Dragonball fucking Z. Izetta beats Sophie with the power of FRIENDSHIP and drains of all magic from the World and somehow accelerates the timetable on WWII. One would have thought with all the conventional hardware the Germanians still had, they would have at least lasted at least a couple more years. The fight was well-animated, but seemed over the top compared to what we have seen so far.

Meanwhile, unless the very fundamental laws of nuclear physics are different in this world, Fine and Izetta get to watch in horror as the Altantans and Volgans discover that uranium has all of the destructive power of Hexenium, without all that pesky needing magical powers to use it business, and 50 years of nuclear paranoia begins as normal.

About the only thing I can call a silver lining is that Izetta survives the battle somehow, in spite of being confined to a wheelchair, so the two of them can furiously make out as soon as the camera turns off. On that note, if you are going this far with the yuri, go all the way and have Izetta and Finé actually kiss on the mountaintop. Even then, while I'm glad Izetta survives, it would have had more of an impact if: A. they went full on with the yuri and had Izetta kiss Fine on the mountaintop, and B. Izetta has actually sacrificed her life to protect Fine and Eylstadt.

Last edited by SPARTAN 119; 2016-12-17 at 15:56.
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-17, 15:50   Link #1010
drawr

The battles were pretty much the only thing that grabbed my attention in this show anymore, so I enjoyed the witch battle. Everything else had me laughing pretty hard. I can't believe Berkmann lived. I can't believe Izetta lived despite all the sacrifice talk. It's like they need to tact on a sequel hook at the last minute but hopefully that never happens.
drawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-17, 16:53   Link #1011
Harry Dresden
Paranoid Zebra

Final Episode:

Did they seriously leave Izetta and Fine's relationship at level of bait? Seriously, show, seriously? I expected you to fridge one of them not just completely ignore their relationship and bait till the every last second.

Hey at least they avoided "Fridge the lesbians" trope.

Very disjointed episode. I don't even know what to make of it overall. Did they want to make 24 episode season and ran out of time and just did random ending?
This series feels REALLY poorly planned.
Harry Dresden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-17, 16:57   Link #1012
Yamada II

Episode 12

So Izetta goes on a suicidal mission to take down Sophie while also sucking out all the magic from the earth. It's risky but it's the only way to have America enter the war to take out Germany and not point their guns at Elystadt afterwards. The plan works perfectly and Germany loses.

I'm not sure what to think of that ending. I kinda wanted Izetta to live, but I also wanted her to die. I wanted her to die even more after how they tried to make things so dramatic. Although the end to the witch fight wasn't that dramatic. Maybe it's because if they tried to do more they couldn't bring Izetta back. But maybe things would have been better without Izetta coming back.

Overall it was pretty fun to watch. I liked the fights and some other bits. Finč didn't come off as that much likable, but I found Izetta to be cute and worth rooting for. The yuri was pretty strong throughout and if they were bringing Izetta back, then they should have made the two an official couple while they were at it. I didn't mind it's somewhat slow pace. It did take time to get going, but I didn't mind it that much. The last fight was cool but they should have sacrificed Izetta for real I think (still not that sure)
Yamada II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-17, 17:04   Link #1013
PhoenixRising

Episode 12
For the most part I really enjoyed this episode. I even cried a little when Izetta was about to sacrifice herself. I also enjoyed the battle too especially the part with the Eiffel Tower. But, I kind of have mixed feelings on the Izetta surviving part. I think for this type of show, I think I might've preferred a heroic sacrifice rather than a surviving plot line, but, I'm also kind of happy about the Izetta surviving part. I also kind of wish that we actually saw Izetta's and Fine's faces in the ending, that's the one thing that irritates me more than anything is when animators do that and I kind of wanted some definite conclusion on the Fine/Izetta relationship e.g. whether Fine entered into a political marriage etc.

For Sieg, I guess the writer was heading for a poetic justice route when Sieg ended up dying at the hands of a boy who resembles Johann, but somehow I don't feel like that part was necessary. I also kind to wanted to know what happened to that pilot. I'm also not surprised that selfish jerk Berkman survived, but at least, the pilot left a permanent scar on his face. I also kind of guessed that the king's advisor was a Volgan, and that hearing the Fuhrer wanting to renege on his deal with his people, decided to kill him.

I also pretty excited on this, but I knew there was something weird about that legend and that it concerned the prince's death. Geez, the way he threw Sophie under the rug to protect his country reminded me so much of Valvrave where Shoko did the same thing to Haruto, but I kind of understand his reasons for it. He was worried that Sophie's huge power would be the cause for a new war against the church which would kill most of his people, but I also get that he didn't want to kill his love, so I'm sure it was a tough decision for him as a king and a person. I'm also sure that he wanted to protect Sophie and prevent her from staining her hands even more red as well, even though I don't really condone what he did and I also think that he could've faked Sophie's death if he wanted to protect her.

I guess, the only other thing that concerns me is with Izetta draining the Ley-lines. I know that they passed it off as the source of magic this time, which is how it normally is, but aren't they also usually depicted as the source of life that promote environmental growth as well as where people sometimes return to when they die depending on the anime/video game/ manga e.g. Lifestream from FFVII, astral lines - Chrono Crusade. So I guess what I'm wondering is if Izetta's draining of the Ley-lines will have anything negatives effects on the earth's environment in the short/long term future.

Overall Impressions
Well, despite some story problems, I enjoyed the story a lot overall. I loved the character interactions especially Fine's and Izetta's and I kind of wish that the series was longer so that we could get some back stories about some of the other characters and maybe see Izetta actually working with the Resistance on a secret mission. The battles were really well done, and I loved the background music for this show. So it's 8 out of 10 for me.

It also looks like we're getting a XMAS special of Izetta judging from some rumors I heard.

Last edited by PhoenixRising; 2016-12-17 at 17:21.
PhoenixRising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-17, 17:13   Link #1014
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

It wasn't promising for me.

I didn't expect anything and still got dissapointed .
Kuroageha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-17, 17:15   Link #1015
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I bit the bullet and watched the last few episodes.

Damn, will I ever learn? This was one of the worse finales I've seen this year. All that crap Izetta said to Sophie was specially cringe-worthy.
Alas, I have to agree with you. Justifying the prince in ordering Sophie's death was absurd; he could have talked to her, sent a double to the stake, or any kind of different solution. Even if he'd had no other choice, what he did and the way he did it were wrong. And Izetta could've given any number of better reasons why Sophie's revenge was utterly unjustified, if we really had to be told. Indeed why did Izetta need to ask Fine to order her to die, except for added angst? Why did she have to smile like that as Fine cried? If Fine had hit back with a plan to fake Izetta's death she would've proved herself the Princess I hoped for. They could easily have only drained magic from Germannia, then drained the rest of Europe later. With Sophie gone, the Germanians and Allies have no way to confirm if magic is gone or not, and they don't care about Izetta surviving if magic is gone anyway.

It seems like Izetta had to die more from human fear of magic, rather than magic being a bad thing in itself. I might have passed over this show on religious principles if I had known that would be the case. Izetta surviving did make me smile, but unjustified survival is cheap. SPARTAN 119 is quite right about the early WWII end also being unjustified. Russia probably would've broken the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact eventually, but without the Russian invasion and North Africa sucking their manpower down the toilet, D-day in 1941 would've been a complete failure. Otto just shooting himself was rather boring, and Berkman was no Hans Landa.

The most annoying thing is that Izetta and Fine felt sidelined in the last episode of their series. Fine seemed far weaker rather than stronger than ep1. Izetta would have proved herself the witch I hoped for if she had realised on the mountain that she doesn't need to 'only live as a witch', and die if magic is gone; she's a wonderful girl with or without her powers. The moral, character development and central relationship of the series would've been redeemed by this message. Izetta and Fine would have actually overcome something, instead of limping through a plot more concerned with powers and gimmicks than character, that used two excellent characters very badly, and sidelined their happily-ever-after, the emotional focus of the finale, for a poor and pointless alternative history montage.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-17, 17:15   Link #1016
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixRising View Post
It also looks like we're getting a XMAS special of Izetta judging from some rumors I heard.
It's just the seiyuu and staff talking about the show. That kind of special.
Old 2016-12-17, 17:47   Link #1017
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I wanted Izetta to either die as a hero or live as Finé's girlfriend. I got neither. They haven't even made it clear what state Izetta is in now. Is she a complete vegetable or has she just lost the use of her legs?

At least the animation for the witches' fight was good and the fight itself quite impressive.
Old 2016-12-17, 18:23   Link #1018
AB079
Banned

^watch the end again, they showed Izetta being happy and all with the servant who takes care of her while Fine was arriving at that home. She just ended in a wheel chair but no more than that, like YuYuYu type.
AB079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-17, 18:51   Link #1019
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB079 View Post
^watch the end again, they showed Izetta being happy and all with the servant who takes care of her while Fine was arriving at that home. She just ended in a wheel chair but no more than that, like YuYuYu type.
I have to call bullshit on her survival.
Old 2016-12-17, 19:03   Link #1020
Freeter
beyond

Garbage show masquerading as yuribait with a pitiful ending.

Junketsu no Maria was far better than this.