Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2017-06-27, 10:59   Link #421
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by YF19EX View Post
To a degree, at the size AX has gotten, they should have made Day 0 a full blown day given the Anisong Concert is going on. I will be hard pressed into AX this year from arrival on Friday to the first Anisong concert that night to the autograph ticketing line early morning, industry signings and the final concert on Saturday night. One thing after the next.

So I have had to re-prioritize my schedule over the years since it is too much to cover. And pray to what ever god their is, that there are enough activities to draw peoples interests away from what I am looking for.

1. Autographs and Guests are firsts.
2. Sketches and Commissions an extremely close 2nd since they tend to be rarer to get these days.
3. Panels are third.
4. Premier series are a distant fourth. I know they will be out publicly, so no rush on my part. But bloggers and reporters who want to get the skinny on the new work before it hits mainstream, I can understand it being a huge draw for them.

I sacrificed watching Your Name last year to get to Shinkai's autograph line and talk with the man. I still have not seen the movie. To me getting to guests, talking with them and getting autographs and even drawings from artist are once in a life time opportunities that are more afforded in a US convention than ever in Japan itself.

It is nice that there are plenty of repeat guests I have already met since it detracts more people to them and possibly away from the newer guests or rare guests like Minori Chihara who has not been back to AX since the debacle of 2007 and only has one AX signing on Saturday.

Basically AX is a real life loot grind with somewhat average RNG when you look at it.
Your list of priorities are pretty much similar to mine, for about the same reasons. Last year I slept over night in the autograph line and then had my sister meet me right before it opened just so I could get Junichi Suwabe's and Shouji Kawamori's autograph. And I will probably end up doing the same thing this year.

But yes, if you're press, AX's weird scheduling can be especially annoying.

What happened with Minori in 2007?
Old 2017-06-27, 19:10   Link #422
YF19EX

I have been going to AX since 2001. I think I have missed the con maybe 2 or 3 times at most. I have watched it in its infancy from fan run con to the largest professional anime conventional in the US. And 2007 was probably the ultimate hallmark of how a con should not be run. Not counting the terrible impromptu shows, long usual lines, this one event stood out as the ultimate culmination that would make even Ghandi rage.

Day 1
It was the year of Haruhi and the Japanese VAs where the biggest star guests at the time. They were supposed to have an autograph session one day at around 1000. Back then there was no ticketing or lottery system. It was truly first come first serve. That day, I was out early with my friends. Sufficient to say, the line somehow went from us being the first 13 in line to 50 back before it opened. Because everyone in front brought their friends and their friends brought their friends who could not be bothered to suffer in line with the rest of us. And to top it off, AX cancelled the autograph signing an hr or so before it was supposed to happen. 6 hrs I would not get back.

Day 2
Me and my friends were out even earlier than before, close to freaking 8hrs before signing. And we were even farther back in the line than before. And once again the cycle repeated itself, the people in front brought their friends who brought their friends and pushed us even further. It got so bad, we and others who had been waiting a long time were pointing out to line control (who finally came out 2hrs before the appointed time) the people who were cutting in front of us and had them promptly kicked out. But it was not enough. To add even more insult to injury, the guests were not even there. They had pre-signed posters they were handing out to people. And just as my friends and I got to the front they ran out. Right. In. Font. Of. Me.

So, AX has gained consistency over the years, and finally developed more fair systems in response to the crowds. I would say it was all bore out of that debacle in 2007. In intervening years, a ticket system to hold your place in line was done, before the final guaranteed /standby system was implemented into place as it has been the last 4 years or so. But that one year. is one I would forever like to forget.

I have been fortunate enough to have met Kawamori in a prior AX. And during that time he sketched a VF-1 in my Macross Movie book and one of Escaflowne on an Escaflowne Movie poster. Suwabe I had no chance. But I even heard he never finished some of his "guaranteed" signings last year.

Last edited by YF19EX; 2017-06-27 at 19:22.
YF19EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-29, 15:52   Link #423
AnimeFan188

Anime Expo VR Experiences Include Death Note, Shōnen Jump, Idols:

"This year's Anime Expo convention in California will host multiple virtual reality
experiences, whether it's a Death Note escape game or 3D idols.

The virtual reality attractions are part of the convention's larger Japan Character VR line-
up coordinated with publisher Shueisha. The line-up includes a seven-minute Death Note
escape game, a Shōnen Jump virtual art museum, interactive manga, and puzzles that call
on users to rebuild One Piece's Chopper and Bleach's Kon into 3D characters."

See:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/inte...-idols/.118139
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-29, 16:38   Link #424
Cloudedmind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Sayo Yamamoto was just announced today. I can only assume that's going to be huge.
Not sure how I missed this, but of course the panel she's in butts up right against the Welcome to the Ballroom anime creators panel.

Quote:
I have been going to AX since 2001. I think I have missed the con maybe 2 or 3 times at most. I have watched it in its infancy from fan run con to the largest professional anime conventional in the US. And 2007 was probably the ultimate hallmark of how a con should not be run. Not counting the terrible impromptu shows, long usual lines, this one event stood out as the ultimate culmination that would make even Ghandi rage.

Day 1
It was the year of Haruhi and the Japanese VAs where the biggest star guests at the time. They were supposed to have an autograph session one day at around 1000. Back then there was no ticketing or lottery system. It was truly first come first serve. That day, I was out early with my friends. Sufficient to say, the line somehow went from us being the first 13 in line to 50 back before it opened. Because everyone in front brought their friends and their friends brought their friends who could not be bothered to suffer in line with the rest of us. And to top it off, AX cancelled the autograph signing an hr or so before it was supposed to happen. 6 hrs I would not get back.

Day 2
Me and my friends were out even earlier than before, close to freaking 8hrs before signing. And we were even farther back in the line than before. And once again the cycle repeated itself, the people in front brought their friends who brought their friends and pushed us even further. It got so bad, we and others who had been waiting a long time were pointing out to line control (who finally came out 2hrs before the appointed time) the people who were cutting in front of us and had them promptly kicked out. But it was not enough. To add even more insult to injury, the guests were not even there. They had pre-signed posters they were handing out to people. And just as my friends and I got to the front they ran out. Right. In. Font. Of. Me.

So, AX has gained consistency over the years, and finally developed more fair systems in response to the crowds. I would say it was all bore out of that debacle in 2007. In intervening years, a ticket system to hold your place in line was done, before the final guaranteed /standby system was implemented into place as it has been the last 4 years or so. But that one year. is one I would forever like to forget.

I have been fortunate enough to have met Kawamori in a prior AX. And during that time he sketched a VF-1 in my Macross Movie book and one of Escaflowne on an Escaflowne Movie poster. Suwabe I had no chance. But I even heard he never finished some of his "guaranteed" signings last year.
I started going in '09 and they were still doing the first come first serve method. And, I think they did so until 2010. After that they tried various methods of ticketing, with the worse in my opinion being randomly giving out autograph tickets to people who attended the panel for that guest. The newest method has been the least headache inducing so far.

I heard the same thing about Suwabe. The first day I tried I was only able to get a non-priority ticket and the minute I walked up to the line before he even started signing, I was told he was only going to do priority. And, even though I was able to get him the next day I did hear the same thing as you, that he didn't even get through all of the guaranteed people.

Still better then guests brought over by Anime Jungle, who makes you buy merchandise to get an autograph ticket, and then you have to have the guest sign the item you bought.

Sucks about Minori though. Hopefully, this time you'll actually get to see her sign the item.
Old 2017-06-29, 17:20   Link #425
YF19EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudedmind View Post
Not sure how I missed this, but of course the panel she's in butts up right against the Welcome to the Ballroom anime creators panel.

I started going in '09 and they were still doing the first come first serve method. And, I think they did so until 2010. After that they tried various methods of ticketing, with the worse in my opinion being randomly giving out autograph tickets to people who attended the panel for that guest. The newest method has been the least headache inducing so far.

I heard the same thing about Suwabe. The first day I tried I was only able to get a non-priority ticket and the minute I walked up to the line before he even started signing, I was told he was only going to do priority. And, even though I was able to get him the next day I did hear the same thing as you, that he didn't even get through all of the guaranteed people.

Still better then guests brought over by Anime Jungle, who makes you buy merchandise to get an autograph ticket, and then you have to have the guest sign the item you bought.

Sucks about Minori though. Hopefully, this time you'll actually get to see her sign the item.
I remember the guest priority ticketing through the panels. The signing was right after the panel and you had to hoof it to their signature area before it filled up. It was
also those years, I found myself in more panels that I care to think about.

Or how bout line hopping from one autograph session to the next because they gave out the tickets in the dealer hall right in front of the signature area. I don't think I ever left the exhibit hall because when one was done, right to the line for another guest.
Old 2017-07-03, 00:13   Link #426
YF19EX

Anime Expo report 2017.

Day 0

Got into LA early. As said, weather was mid to low 80s initially. Checked into the JW and headed into the con. Turns out the regular line is moving pretty well and everyone else can get their bags but the Premier have to wait till 1700 till the lounge opens up for us to get our gear for the con.

After we got our con bags, around 1730, we then rushed to will call to get our tickets for the Anime Kawaii Matsui. This one is primarily the Idol groups: Wake Up Girls, Idolmaster Cinderella Girls, Walkure and Love Live Sunshine. Concert supposedly started on our tickets at 1900, but did not kickoff till 1930.

Excellent concert as to be expected. Idolmaster consistsed of the secondary characters, and the Sunshine cast dances were coordinated right to their onscreen music videos. The only one I did not know much about was Wake Up Girls. But I like there music a bit more since it was more modern than the idolish feel of the others. Walkure was good within the realm of Macross Delta. Unfortunately Mikumo's singer is under Japanese Law for her working age, she has restrictions. As the concert ended after 2200, she could not come out to say goodbye.

I got to see them at the end as a VIP guest, but due to the nature of idol groups and and what I figure past fan interaction, we could not give physical high fives. In fact all we could do is wave bye to them, 6 feet behind a table.

Next up Day 1: Line con security mess.
Old 2017-07-03, 19:45   Link #427
BPD Renegade

^ What was up with the lines? I saw an article about it, but it still didn't really make sense to me. I managed to get through badge pick-up and into the convention center without waiting in line on Saturday, but I did notice that it was strangely empty inside. There was almost no one at the badge pick-up site (I think there were like, ten people picking up badges?), even though it was packed outside and after 8am. Even heightened security shouldn't have made it that bad, right?

Another thing that was weird was that even though the rules are that any form of photo ID should be sufficient, I was made to show a second, government issued ID in addition to what I brought. The same guy also tried to make this little kid with no photo ID show him one even though it was the kid's chaperone that bought their tickets, and he wouldn't give the kid a badge.

I get that they were trying to take precautions, but some of the things that happened didn't really make sense.
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-04, 01:16   Link #428
YF19EX

Day 1

Well Saturday was pretty busy. After the concert at 2300 the night before and what little sleep after, I got up 0400 and out to the autograph line by 0435. Autograph tickets should have been issued by 0800. Of course its AX so the line did not start until 0830 at best. And of course, the line ballooned with friends bringing friends. Yea, but after 10 years, I finally got Chihara Minori's autograph. Even had the pleasure of watching her in concert later that night. First success.

The ticketing delay pushed us to get into dealers 30 min later than we could but still 30 min ahead of everyone else. I went to IF to get to Tsunako (Neptunia's Character Designer) and Mizuno (the series producer) autograph tickets. Moved to Sekai to commission a drawing. Moved to Funimation right before the dealer hall opened to the general attendees to get the ticket for Fullmetal Panics creator and manga artist signing. From that point on, it was moving from one autograph line to the next to fullfill the tickets that we got.

Due to the past threats we have seen in the last year or so with regards to cons, I do not blame AX for security implementations. However, the implementation was less than organized. AX focused their initial attention towards the main entrances at the main hall and west halls. These areas had metal detectors (which may or may not have been working) and baggage checks. However, they had a ton of holes and entrances that were guarded for badge checks but no baggage checks or detectors. These are the areas I was able to get in and out of the con at speed. Everyone else was stuck in long lines at the main entrances. The buses dropped most of the people upfront so the line concentration of people was once again at the main entrances. I did not witness it, but the increase security is probably what caused the line backup in the initial badge pickup. Stories of people waiting 5-6hrs to get their ONE day badges only to have the con close on them was a common theme. It hit Kotaku and Anime News network feeds. SPJA had to respond and reorganize for the next day.

After that it was on to the last Anisong concert consisting of Angela, Minori, Garnidelia, Ali Project, Ayano Mashiro and Konomi Suzuki. Much more anime focused jpop concert. And as great as it was, I was physically exhausted from lack of sleep and another late night concert. Heck they went 3hrs plus straight without intermission to the end.

In regards to AX and misinformation that tends to be a common complaint among attendees. The conversation is the same, one staffer says one thing, someone does something else. Most of the time we are lucky to have a staffer around that knows whats going on. But others tend to run into other people who have no freaking idea what they are doing.
Old 2017-07-04, 13:54   Link #429
BPD Renegade

Oh wow, AX is changing its badge policy next year and shipping them out. Looks like this year's fiasco was the thing that finally cracked the SPJA.
Quote:
Badge Mailing Policy
Anime Expo will ship badges to orders within the U.S. & Canada. 4-Day, 1-Day, Pre-Show, badges may begin shipping as early as April of 2018. Premier Fan badges will ship in June. You will receive a shipping confirmation before the badges are mailed out. Please make sure the shipping address for the 1st registrant is accurate. You may login to your Eventbrite account to update this information.
Quote:
Shipping is the only option available for attendees in the United States & Canada unless a badge is purchased after the mailing cutoff in mid-June (TBA, estimated 1-3 weeks before 7/4/2018).
Source
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-04, 15:09   Link #430
YF19EX

Premiere have had our badges shipped to us for the last 2 years. We figure it was a test run to see if it could be done probably on full con scale.
Old 2017-07-05, 10:26   Link #431
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

There was an interview about the liveaction Fullmetal Alchemist with Yamada and others

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/conv...el-q-a/.118435
Mad Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-05, 12:58   Link #432
amasposu

I waited 3.5 hours in the sun to get my badge on Saturday. I didn't fly into LA until 8AM that morning. By the time I got to the convention center, the line was a mess.
amasposu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-06, 00:08   Link #433
YF19EX

From what I have seen over the years AX sometimes takes 1 step forward in one place and 2 steps back in others. Other areas such as proper event information with regards to what is communicated to staff is still lacking in many points.

Day 2

By the 2nd day, overnight they had redone all the security procedures. Effectively they pushed the event staff outside away from the side entrances to all points of ingress into the convention center. This included, rerouting the buses away from the main entrances, roping off stares and increasing the bag check points across the whole facility such as top of staircases at outside points which kept lines away from doors. This of course closed off all holes that I knew of to get into the con faster. Which is good from a security standpoint.

Once again I was out early to try to get an autograph ticket for Hironobu Sakagichi. Like the other day I brought my folding chair again to sit and wait. The next mission as soon as this was done, was to get the industry ticket at Funimation for Yui Ishikawa. This meant getting into the dealer hall early before 1000. However, as soon as we finished we tried heading to one of less busy checkpoints, but found our folding chairs are now considered potential weapons that had to be check and peace bonded before entry. Seeing how long it took to get through the autograph ticketing line, the exhibit hall was about to open, and I had no faith in Funi that they would get their internal line straight given how badly organized the FMP ticketing was the day before. It would take too long to try to get back across the street, get peace bonded and back to the entrance. Not wanting to lug the chairs around I took my brothers chair and told him to go there and get his ticket. Try for 2 if he could. Later he told me it was too messy to try to get another Ishikawa ticket. Armageddon would have to wait till tomorrow.

This is one example of AX inconsistency with information and procedures. I did not have issues with the chair the day before. I was also in the convention hall in line with other people who had chairs that had made it through checkpoints without peace bonding. I have to give AX some due because they basically overnight redid the security procedures that gave a little more relief to the con as a whole.

Day 3

Seeing as I had rounded up a majority of signatures I wanted, I got some much needed rest. It was Monday, so when I hit the line at 0700 instead for 0430. Low and behold a surprise guest popped up in the ticketing line. Tomokazu Seki was added last min. So I picked up his ticket and finally made it to Funi's line for Yui Ishikawa.

Now something had been bothering me for sometime. Guests like Yui Horie and Tomokazu Seki were never listed for AX autographs and no industry had them listed as either so I figured they were in and out not doing signings. When this popped up, we jumped at the chance. And once again AX managed to disappoint. Turns out Seki had already left and the ticket was a "misprint" as they say. Now I do not believe it was a misprint. You just don't go and print up 125 tickets days before a con. AX probably expected him to sign, and when he could not, they did not assign him to the schedule. But someone obviously did not tell that to the autograph staff.

Another bit of confusion occured when we found the Tales of Berseria producer was not listed for autograph signings that day. He ended up being there at the autograph table. But because no one knew, he as sitting there for the 1.5 hrs almost doing nothing. My brother and my friend wanted his sig on their Berseria box. Because he was not expected, they left their Berseria boxes back in the hotel. So they had to make the run back to the hotel, back through security and to his line before he left.

Day 4

Not much to report. Woke up late, got a ticket for Ryo Hirokawa to sign my 0083 bluay as the voice of Kou Uraki. He was very cool, finished his priorities and went right on to standby. He talked and took pictures with every attendee. Finished throwing money away in artist alley and had nice dinner at the Maple Block Meat Company in Culver City. Apparently they are right next door to a famous taco shop that everyone was raving about....

See you at AX 2018.
Old 2017-07-06, 01:58   Link #434
Cloudedmind

Quote:
Day 3
Now something had been bothering me for sometime. Guests like Yui Horie and Tomokazu Seki were never listed for AX autographs and no industry had them listed as either so I figured they were in and out not doing signings. When this popped up, we jumped at the chance. And once again AX managed to disappoint. Turns out Seki had already left and the ticket was a "misprint" as they say. Now I do not believe it was a misprint. You just don't go and print up 125 tickets days before a con. AX probably expected him to sign, and when he could not, they did not assign him to the schedule. But someone obviously did not tell that to the autograph staff.

Another bit of confusion occured when we found the Tales of Berseria producer was not listed for autograph signings that day. He ended up being there at the autograph table. But because no one knew, he as sitting there for the 1.5 hrs almost doing nothing. My brother and my friend wanted his sig on their Berseria box. Because he was not expected, they left their Berseria boxes back in the hotel. So they had to make the run back to the hotel, back through security and to his line before he left.
Tomokazu Seki did do one signing on Saturday along with the director of Infini T Force. His name was listed along side the directors on the autograph schedule and I almost missed it when I checked the first time. But he was there, and he allowed pictures. Something I wish I'd known ahead of time because I left my camera at home, and my phone's camera is crap in bad lighting.

But I agree that I wish AX and some of the vendors/companies that bring over guests better coordinated their information. I ended up missing out on getting Miyu Irino's autograph because I didn't find out until after his first that the ticket for his second signing wouldn't be given out through the autograph booth, but the Funimation booth, which they mentioned at his panel. What they neglected to mention was that you had to purchase some Akito of the Rebellion something or other, to get a ticket, and that the tickets sold out the day before. Which I didn't find out until the next day Tuesday when I showed up right after the exhibit hall opened.

I may write up a slightly more detailed report of my experience as well. While this wasn't the worse year I've ever had, it certainly wasn't the best. I did enjoy myself, but felt like I got to do a lot less of what I wanted to do.
Old 2017-07-06, 11:02   Link #435
YF19EX

So apparently I ran across a well known character designer hiding away in a booth in the artist alley. He was in attendance with another artist with whom I had purchased pieces from the year before. The character designs of his works looked familiar, but I though it was in similar style. I purchased 2 pieces from him and had them signed. Turns out he was Nakamura Takeshi who is known for the original character designs for ToHeart and White Album 2. And I did not even recognize the name.
https://twitter.com/nakamura_takesh?lang=en

To paraphrase Patton: I have your damn book!

AGHHH! Would have so brought it to be signed too...
Old 2017-07-06, 11:26   Link #436
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Speaking purely from the perspective of covering the event, this year was a definite improvement. It's clear that it was communicated to the mid-bosses who "press" were, and how they were supposed to be processed at events. A couple of them still brought the attitude, but at least I was able to get into the events I needed to cover without having to fight my way in.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-06, 12:05   Link #437
YF19EX

Good to hear your Press side did well. If there is one premier I did wish to see, it was Violet Evergarden. The animation in the previews looked gorgeous. As expected of Kyoto Animation.
Old 2017-07-06, 15:31   Link #438
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It was very impressive visually, no doubt about it. I'm undecided about the plot, but we'll see.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-06, 16:34   Link #439
AnimeFan188

Anime Expo Runs July 5-8 in 2018 After Record
Attendance This Year:

"The official Twitter account of the Anime Expo convention revealed on Monday that next
year's event will run from July 5 to July 8, 2018 at the Los Angeles Convention Center.

In addition, the staff revealed that this year's convention attracted 107,658 unique
attendees on the event's regular days, a 7% increase over last year's number of 100,420.
Combined with the 8,068 unique attendees on this year's new Pre-Show Night, the unique
attendees for the whole convention numbered 115,726, a 15% increase from last year.
This year's numbers set a new attendance record for the convention. The convention
marked the turnstile attendance at 357,178 (including the Pre-Show Night), up 17% from
last year."

See:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...s-year/.118438
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-08, 13:39   Link #440
isamu99

Congratulations to all who were able to attend this year. Hope you guys had fun. I haven't been in a while but started going around 1998. Good times

Caught most of the twitchTV stream though and thought it was good for a first time effort. Hopefully they will get permission to stream the Opening Ceremonies, Masquerade and Closing Ceremonies. I've been to AX about half a dozen times and those three events are my favorites.

Finally, if anyone in upper management at AX reads this, please consider re-opening the forums/message boards. Really don't understand the reason behind the decision to close them in the first place. It was a wonderful place to go.
isamu99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conventions