AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Tate no Yuusha/Shield Hero

Notices

Old 2019-01-25, 19:18   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot

Tate no Yuusha/Shield Hero - Character Discussion - Naofumi

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Naofumi related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Shield Hero fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Kairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-31, 07:56   Link #2
Ultragunner

if we have to put Naofumi/shield hero in a class, what would it be?

Well, a tank is an obvious choice, but his shield does more than just absorbing damage: buff, agro, CC...etc...
a paladin isn't quite right because he can't deal damage, and his abilities are not necessarily magic?
Old 2019-01-31, 08:25   Link #3
Keila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
if we have to put Naofumi/shield hero in a class, what would it be?

Well, a tank is an obvious choice, but his shield does more than just absorbing damage: buff, agro, CC...etc...
a paladin isn't quite right because he can't deal damage, and his abilities are not necessarily magic?
Is there a need to define him beyond "that guy with the magical shield that does all sorts of crazy stuff"? I mean, fundamentally the shield is what is special, he's just your otherwise average guy.

I'm probably going to give up here because everything that comes to mind is for some reason NSFW.
Old 2019-01-31, 08:41   Link #4
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Naofumi strikes me as classic tanker.

Low attack potential compare to other classes, skills existing mainly for utilities rather than some kind of big explosion.
He clearly unlike modern tanker that not only capable of drawing aggro but also capable to dish damage even fill combo when you need it.

I wonder if the weapon growth is decided by user perspective.
We saw that Motoyasu have different UI compare to Naofumi, which may explain how other heroes have easier time to adapt simply by their game experiences.
Could it be Naofumi lack of offensive power is caused by his limited understanding about tanker role / shield as weapon rather than dictate by Shield?

If so, too bad he didn't play more games to know nowadays tankers are strong as well-- or at least, watched Capt. America - Winter Soldier.

Old 2019-01-31, 10:34   Link #5
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Well, since this isn't a real MMO, you can do certain things you can't do in most MMORPGs: Interpose yourself inbetween yourself and others.

Also Naofumi's shield isn't earodynamic enough for throwing, and it can't leave contact with his body either.

Last edited by Dengar; 2019-01-31 at 11:38.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-31, 20:34   Link #6
Twi

Since spoilers are allowed, I am going to say paladin.

Spoiler for Minor spoiler about Vol.2:
Old 2019-02-01, 13:47   Link #7
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactics View Post
I wonder if the weapon growth is decided by user perspective.
We saw that Motoyasu have different UI compare to Naofumi, which may explain how other heroes have easier time to adapt simply by their game experiences.
How was Motoyasu's UI different than Naofumi's? I actually looked for differences, but they seemed the same. They had the same menu options in the bottom right, and the same party member info at the top left, and the same HP bar and level for your target enemy.
Kinematics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-01, 22:42   Link #8
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

While we are at it can we talk about this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSage View Post
The one thing I still don't quite understand is why did Naofumi lose his sense of taste and couldn't see the grown-up Raphtalia until now? I understand that whatever "spell" it was broke when he finally decided to trust someone but why was this there in the first place?
I'm no expert but it could be impaired taste, usually caused by physical reasons but it can also be due to the nervous system disorder caused under pressure or stress.

Hope there is a better opinion about this.
Old 2019-02-02, 01:26   Link #9
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

Given that a loss of a sense of taste can be linked with depression, and the fact that the light novel would have no way of directly communicating that depression to the reader when written from a first person perspective and the main character doesn't directly realize his condition, that seems like a reasonable, if obscure, way of conveying that problem to the audience.

The anime doesn't have as much difficulty there because it's shown from a third person perspective, and it's pretty obvious that Naofumi is seriously depressed. The loss of taste, then, is just a carryover from the light novel that doesn't provide as much actual value to the story, but can still act as a signpost for Naofumi's condition.

As for seeing Raphtalia as a child, it could be less that he's literally seeing Raphtalia as a child (ie: hallucinating), and more that his brain simply fails to connect the idea of what he's seeing with anything other than his understanding of child Raphtalia. There's some similarly related disorders with both language and recognizing people's faces, so I consider the idea realistically believable.
Kinematics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-02, 02:33   Link #10
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinematics View Post
How was Motoyasu's UI different than Naofumi's? I actually looked for differences, but they seemed the same. They had the same menu options in the bottom right, and the same party member info at the top left, and the same HP bar and level for your target enemy.
Looking at how Motoyasu UI have reddish color theme, following the weapon gem, just like how Naofumi UI have greenish color theme.
That strikes me if each weapon could be utilizing different UI to facilitate their user to be able to use their weapon with ease considering among them there is Itsuki, who uses a bow.
Old 2019-02-03, 23:44   Link #11
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Concerning taste, psychological trauma can have all kinds of effects on the body, including dulling or even loss of one or more senses.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-02-06, 21:28   Link #12
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
An interesting interview with the author.

Highlights are:

Quote:
I don't typically model characters on people I know, though the only exceptions are some of the enemy characters. There are some enemies that are very unreasonable and violent--I based them on some people I know.
That could explain Myne. I am suspecting that Aneko have witnessed some really vicious bullying from girls at a point. If I have learned one thing from working in a work environment with a lot of women, women are their own worst enemies, with all the backstabbing, passive-agressive bullying, etc...

Quote:
I was mostly inspired by online games, specifically by a defense-specialized crusader character in "Ragnarok Online." It is a very powerful and dependable class, but it's virtually impossible to level one up without a party.
Likely played Ragnarok Online. Which is funny because what Motoyasu and others said about shielders have been what people in Ragnarok Online said about the Vitality-build Knight due to the Priest class being often much better at tanking than Knight. Since the skills in RO have NO initial and final cooldown, skills such as heal could be spammed along with defense buffs.

Quote:
As for purchasing a slave, he was forced to do it because of his situation--he needed help from others in a time and place where no one would help him. In the modern world, where people are moved and controlled by money, company employees have a lot in common with slaves.
Quote:
It is preferable to have morals, but we've made a world where being strictly ethical can no longer survive. There are a lot of people out there that simply don't respond to ethics--in the face of people like that, what option is left besides emotionally insisting on your place and your views? My intention is to show that in the face of enemies like that, we often have no choice but to launch a counterattack.
That tells a lot about Naofumi's situation, a nice guy fucked over by circumstance and having to take drastic measure to not be stomped into the ground by wickedness.
Old 2019-02-07, 01:21   Link #13
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
An interesting interview with the author.

Likely played Ragnarok Online. Which is funny because what Motoyasu and others said about shielders have been what people in Ragnarok Online said about the Vitality-build Knight due to the Priest class being often much better at tanking than Knight. Since the skills in RO have NO initial and final cooldown, skills such as heal could be spammed along with defense buffs.
RO have cooldown and delay between cast.
Instant cast only achieved if you dedicated yourself to instant cast build.

Also, what the author refer is Crusader, not Knight.

It is job that excels at tanking, lower firepower than Knight, with their DPS build being subpar to other classes while their vitality build is one of better end-game build solely focusing on tanking (until implementation of Paladin and Royal Guard), making it somewhat a nightmare for those who wanted to fast leveling as you will heavily depend on others.

Tags
characters